• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little boy asks Santa to help his bullied sister

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Edit-

Link.

Didn't see a thread. Full Santa letter at the bottom.

It was an early “Dear Santa” request — but the heartfelt plea couldn’t come soon enough.

In a touching letter gaining traction online, an 8-year-old North Carolina boy asks St. Nick for his help: His twin sister is being bullied at school, and all he wants for Christmas is for it to stop — and for her to get whatever she wants.

“Dear Santa ... I wanted a (remote control) car and helicopter, but I don’t want that anymor. Kid at school are still picking on Amber and its not fair,” the handwritten note reads. “I prayed that they will stop but god is bisy and needs your help.”

“Is it against the rules to give gift early?” he asks.

He goes on to say his sister’s birthday is coming up and he’d like for the stars of the Nickelodeon show, “Big Time Rush,” to drop by.

“If you can’t get them to come but just get her everything she ask for,” he writes, and then adds a “PS.”

“My mom throw the best B-day partys (you) can come if you want.”

Mom Karen Suffern, of Rocky Mount, shared her story on Facebook over the weekend, including with weight loss blogger Tony Posnanski. He was so moved by the letter that he, in turn, shared it with CNN’s iReport.

“Anything with bullying gets to me,” Posnanski told the Daily News on Tuesday. “That’s what really touched me about this story. I was overweight as a child, and I was once over 400 pounds. I learned the best way to defeat a bully is self-esteem.”

Suffern couldn’t immediately be reached for comment, but had said she asked her children, Ryan and Amber, to write letters to Santa now so that she could begin budgeting for her holiday shopping.

But Ryan’s unexpected request took her off guard — and it highlighted the extent of the teasing that Amber faces at school.

The young girl has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and other mental and mood disorders, Suffern said, and she has become an emotional eater.

She weighs about 140 pounds — and is about twice the size of her brother.

“I try to build up my daughter’s self-esteem and tell her she is beautiful, but people say hurtful things to me, because I also have a weight problem, and that hurts me,” Suffern told CNN. “I can’t imagine what she goes through.

Ryan said his sister is exposed to constant taunting by the other kids, and that they also say she’s adopted because she is multiracial.

“Every day when she goes to school, she says, ‘Mommy, can I just stay at home?’ and she just doesn’t want to go. And now every time I send her to school, I feel like I am not protecting her and I am letting her down,” Suffern said.

Posnanski said he hopes the letter can help increase awareness about bullying — and lead parents to have conversations about its consequences.

“I want to do a story about a bullying situation where someone didn’t lose their life,” he told The News.

He said the school that the children attend in North Carolina has said it is going after bullying.

The letter, meanwhile, has also drawn criticism by some Facebook users who say Suffern is to blame for allowing her daughter to become overweight.

The mom said she does take responsibility for her daughter — but the girl still doesn’t deserve to be picked on.

“My daughter is beautiful, and bright, and special and she is ALL of these things even being overweight,” Suffern wrote. “And it’s not my fault she is bullied, it’s the fault of the parents who don’t expect their children to treat others with respect just because they are different.”

Cleaned-up text of Ryan’s letter via CNN:

Dear Santa,

My mom said to send you a Christmas list. I wanted a remote control car and helicopter but I do not want that anymore. Kids at school are still picking on Amber and it is not fair because she does not do anything to them and it makes me mad. I prayed they would stop, but God is busy and I need your help. Is it against the rules to give up gifts early? Can you ask Big Time Rush to come to Amber’s birthday party? It will make her so happy. If you do not get them to come that is fine, just get her everything she asked for.

Thanks Santa,

Love Ryan

PS — My mom throws the best birthday parties. You can come if you want.

SJRB

Gold Member
Someone should dress up as Santa, pick those kids up at school and send them with their parents to Disneyland or something.

IHaveIce

Banned
Cute, bullying is a bad thing but honestly his sister has to lose weight, super unhealthy this early as a kid.

Though cute kid and he really has the heart on the right spot

EDIT: I hope this didn't come of harsh, I'm just worried about the girl,of course it is hard if a parent also has weight issues.

very sad to hear she has those multiple disorders at such a young age.
That's a steep mountain for both her and her parents to climb.

Kids can be shitty, unfortunately.
Maybe her parents can get her in to some 'specialized' programs to accommodate her conditions? I dunno.
That said, teachers/adults need to be more mindful of kids bullying and acting like little assholes. It doesn't take Santa Claus to fix that.

Concept17

Cute, bullying is a bad thing but honestly his sister has to lose weight, super unhealthy this early as a kid.

EDIT: I hope this didn't come of harsh, I'm just worried about the girl,of course it is hard if a parent also has weight issues.

The young girl has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and other mental and mood disorders, Suffern said, and she has become an emotional eater.

A lot to deal with for an 8yo.

Roastbeef

Banned
“I prayed that they will stop but god is bisy and needs your help.”

i lold
that kids might yet grow to be an atheist.

If does seem that the mother isn't very bright though. The best thing she can think of is telling her daughter that she's beautiful and letting her eat "emotionally".
I'm not trying to justify the bullying, but just expecting them to stop while denying the contents of the taunts and being angry at other children's parents isn't gonna help the girl. It's kinda sad how the mother's reaction to criticism is to just shift all responsibility on the other parents, as if that would make it impossible for her to do anything about it.

That kid is going to be super disappointed.

I did something similar when I was his age. My mom was going through chemo at the time and as a school assignment , we'd have to write letters to Santa. I just asked for my mom to be healthy. The teachers wrote is all back and mine said he didnt have the power to dp that.. Looking back on that now, it must've been so hard for the teacher to respond.

LQX

Hate to be a cynic but I bet his mom wrote that letter or even "Amber" looking for attention. I never believe these Santa letters.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I did something similar when I was his age. My mom was going through chemo at the time and as a school assignment , we'd have to write letters to Santa. I just asked for my mom to be healthy. The teachers wrote is all back and mine said he didnt have the power to dp that.. Looking back on that now, it must've been so hard for the teacher to respond.

Yea it's not easy at all to try and fulfill these little kids wishes. Most of it is just out of any regular persons ability to do anything and little kids are usually pretty damn smart themselves and know when adults are treating them like kids so even if someone dressed up like Santa and came by one day and did something about the bullying situation he isn't gunna be there everyday. Lil dude is setting himself up for a harsh life lesson on his own. Just a tough situation all around.

What the Mom needs to do is be a role model to her daughter and pick herself up by losing her extra weight. Her daughter will see that and want to exercise with her. She's too young to do that alone, she needs her Mom to show her the way.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Hate to be a cynic but I bet his mom wrote that letter or even "Amber" looking for attention. I never believe these Santa letters.
Please. I'm a bit cynical myself, and I don't want to have that thought in my head.

I just hope something can be done for this.

Why do schools turn a blind eye on bullying?
I think it has something to do with the whole "boys will be boys" thing that does on in America. Thankfully, I was in a school that doesn't do that (or punish the victim, as I've heard).

Verklempt.png

Wilsongt

Some do, but kids don't care. I was bullied in middle school and I went to the dean of the school about three times. They talked to the students, but nothing ever stopped. One of my teachers even told me she felt I instigated it.

Some do, but kids don't care. I was bullied in middle school and I went to the dean of the school about three times. They talked to the students, but nothing ever stopped. One of my teachers even told me she felt I instigated it.

It's a tough thing because if you as a bullied kid report that to adults, you're just inviting more bullying on yourself.

Yeah, what the hell is with that. I got the shit kicked out of me failry often and one really bad time the principal just asked me what I had done to make them beat my ass. I was kind of stunned. I asked her since she knows I didn't attack them, exactly what did she think I could say that would make it ok for them to beat me. Now I'm just digging up hate for that woman.

Mononoke

Banned
Someone should dress up as Santa, pick those kids up at school and send them with their parents to Disneyland or something.

I saw your avatar, and at first thought this was code like "sleeping with the fishes". I thought you were talking about a santa hitman picking up the bullies + their parents and "taking them to disneyland".

Oh god, I'm disturbed.

Chococat

Definitely harsh since you ignore why the child is now over eating- it is due to being bullied. Perhaps it is a poor choice of words.

Comes off that the bullies are okay, and now have even more justified reason to continue with their action because she is fat.

The bullies and their parents should be punished, and the girl should be council (at parents of the bullies expense) and put on a weight loss program for health.reasons.

CREMSteve

Do 8-year-olds still believe in Santa Claus?

I smell bs.

My daughter is 7 and she fully believes. It's a wonderful thing that we have a lot of fun with, we go all-out to help make it extra special. Elf footprints coming out of the fireplace, reindeer hoof prints on the yard in the snow... my parents did it for me and I know I really appreciated the magic of it all.

On-topic, this story is awesome, I truly hope Santa makes it comes true.

pizza dog

Banned
Somehow I skimmed this headline as "...asks Satan to help...". Came for giggles about Satan, found heartbreaking Santa feels.

How about kids stop being dicks and the school be more vigilant on bullying? Why the fat shaming when that's not the root of the problem?! The kid is multiracial, has mental disorders, losing weight won't stop the abuse.

tmarques

My daughter is 7 and she fully believes. It's a wonderful thing that we have a lot of fun with, we go all-out to help make it extra special. Elf footprints coming out of the fireplace, reindeer hoof prints on the yard in the snow... my parents did it for me and I know I really appreciated the magic of it all.

I'm not against kids believing in Santa, I just cannot fathom being able to hide the truth from a child at that age. All it takes is for one kid to find it out from an older sibling/TV/Internet and the next day it's all over school.

This is a wonderful idea. I hope I can remember it when the holiday comes around.

CREMSteve

This is a wonderful idea. I hope I can remember it when the holiday comes around.
The year I woke up and found elf prints was after I already knew the truth. Let me tell you, I could not figure out how they did it... Had me rethinking everything I thought I knew. So awesome.

mhs004

I originally saw the thread title as Little boy asks Santana to help his bullied sister and got exited for a bit.

Exited about Santana not the bullied part.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Some teachers are fucking jaded/lazy and just can't be assed to help out.

I used to hear the "just ignore them" line all the time when kids went to teachers about being bullied.

Someone should go to her school dressed as Santa, have her point out the bully and give the bully a faceful of coal.

I got shit like this. I was victim blamed for being bullied.

One dean even told me, "you have to realize there's a lot of different people of different backgrounds" etc. I didn't understand what the fuck she was even talking about! She made it like I called someone a racist or religious slur when in fact kids were picking on me for my looks!

Fucking worthless trash school admins.

Wolff

Some teachers are fucking jaded/lazy and just can't be assed to help out.

I used to hear the "just ignore them" line all the time when kids went to teachers about being bullied.

True. I heard that one and "they're just playing with you" so many times... It really only makes things worse and the kid gets completely lost. Sad thing is i still see teachers and even parents saying that kind of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom