• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Live in the NE? Prepare to freeze -40f/c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liberty4all

Banned
COLDEST AIR IN TWENTY YEARS JAN 7 - 8 :(

CPC NOAA
http://forecast.weather.gov/product...&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

LONG TERM /SATURDAY THROUGH THURSDAY/...

***SOME OF THE COLDEST AIR IN THE LAST 20 YEARS WILL OVERSPREAD
THE AREA JANUARY 7-8TH***

ENTER THE DEEP FREEZE...THE MODELS HAVE COME INTO VERY GOOD
AGREEMENT WITH THE EVOLUTION OF THE ANOMALOUS TROUGH DIGGING INTO
THE ERN U.S NEXT WEEK...DRIVING A TRUE ARCTIC FRONT ACROSS THE
AREA ON MONDAY. SOME OF THE COLDEST AIR IN THE LAST 20 YEARS IS
EXPECTED TO INVADE THE REGION FROM LATE ON DAY 5/MON NGT THRU DAY
6/TUESDAY. 850MB TEMPS ON THE ORDER OF -25 TO -35C /-3 TO -4SD/
WILL SUPPORT FRIGID/BITTER TO NEAR RECORD COLD TEMPERATURES WITH
DAILY HI/LO DEPARTURES -20 AND -30 DEGREES BELOW EARLY JANUARY
CLIMO. THE EPICENTER OF THE COLD OUTBREAK SHOULD PEAK ON TUESDAY
WITH LOWS FROM 0F IN THE LSV TO -20F BELOW IN THE NW MTNS. TO MAKE
MATTERS WORSE...A BLUSTERY WEST WIND WILL COMBINE WITH THE BONE-
CHILLING ARCTIC AIR TO PRODUCE WIND CHILLS BETWEEN -20 AND -40F
BELOW ZERO. THIS WILL RESULT IN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CONDITIONS
MAKING FROSTBITE AND HYPOTHERMIA A REAL CONCERN IF EXPOSED TO THE
ELEMENTS FOR ONLY A SHORT PERIOD. PEOPLE SHOULD TAKE PRECAUTIONS
AND PREPARE FOR THE COLDEST AIRMASS TO AFFECT THE AREA SINCE
JANUARY 1994. LATER SHIFTS MAY WANT TO START RAISING AWARENESS BY
HIGHLIGHTING THE UPCOMING COLD EPISODE BY ISSUING SPECIAL WEATHER
STATEMENTS. FOR NOW WE WILL CONTINUE TO MENTION THE EXTREME COLD
IN THE HWO.

oh and a,massive weekend snowstorm as well affecting multiple cities.

25 cm+ along with Blizzard conditions.

650x366_01022017_hd36.jpg

Cities that could be hit by a sudden blinding snow, plunging temperatures and a quick freeze include Nashville, Tenn.; Lexington, Ky.; Cincinnati; Morgantown, W.Va.; Pittsburgh; Buffalo, N.Y.; and Toronto, Ontario. Travel along I-40, I-64 and I-65 could be difficult Sunday night.

http://m.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/cold-snow-detroit-chicago-clev/21623238

Liberty4all

Banned
Please no. I hate the cold. I'm in the heaviest snow area too...

I called in sick today (really am sick) hoping to miss the cold today at -28c (-18.4f) with windchill.. Its going to be worse tomorrow ay -32c (-25.6f). Between commutes I'll be outdoors 50 minutes total. Nooooo

and Monday we are looking at 25 + cm of snow with blizzard conditions. This is shaping up to be the coldest winter I can ever remember in the NE, certainly here in Toronto.

LycanXIII

Cities that could be hit by a sudden blinding snow, plunging temperatures and a quick freeze include Nashville, Tenn.; Lexington, Ky.; Cincinnati; Morgantown, W.Va.; Pittsburgh; Buffalo, N.Y.; and Toronto, Ontario. Travel along I-40, I-64 and I-65 could be difficult Sunday night.

Shit.

rObit

Banned
Ugh. I came in here to get a chuckle at you northeast guys and then I see this "blinding snow" bs might hit Nashville.

East Lake

I was out walking the dog later tonight in buffalo and I wasn't even cold brehs. Think it was like 7F out. My nose hairs froze a little bit though.

Alright I'm not tough I just have a good coat.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Fuckity fuck fuck, I'm going to Boston this Sunday for two weeks from SF. It's literally going to be 100 degrees F colder.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Tomorrow is the first Friday in over 2 years I won't have to be up at 4 for work. I'm so happy about that right now. Shoveling and scraping off my car at 4am in sub zero weather is the worst.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It was -45c with the wind today. You can't go out with just jeans, you need to wear something under.

JordanN

Banned
You better wear a scarf.

I can tolerate cold hands or cold legs but once your face freezes it's the worst thing ever.

Blearth

Banned
Thank God I live in California.

It was in the low thirties (around 0C) about a month ago and everyone was losing their goddam minds!

I kept my outdoor activities to a minimum. Just went out to take out the trash, start up the car to make sure its still alive and buy groceries.

thank god the grocery store is just around the corner

Darkwater

Damn son. It has rarely been below freezing here in the Netherlands this winter. Funny how that works. Best of luck, northeastern-US-GAF.

Liberty4all

Banned
3:45 am here, can't sleep. I keep thinking about the walk to the streetcar tomorrow. Its going to be -32c with windchill. That's -25.6f.

and I'm just barely getting over a viral cold. Damnit.

Ash_69

Why can't London get some of that. :(

I love me some snow. It's an event here where everyone becomes happy and no longer needs to go to work as all public transport grinds to a hault.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Froze my ass off getting to work this morning. Even on my commute whenever the doors would open at the next station the gust of wind coming inside was so cold.

I asked Drake to help us out in Toronto on Twitter. I hope he understands, we need him now more than ever.

marrec

Banned
Shoveled the driveway this morning in about 5 layers.

I was very comfortable thank you very much. That's why I like cold better than hot. With cold, you can stay warm if you have enough prep-time. With hot there ain't shit you can do besides get inside.

Ugh. I'm not one to complain about winter, but those temperatures are some potentially scary stuff.
I got some snow on my hand this morning brushing the car off and after a minute or two it started to really sting.

Snaku

Banned
Northern VA here. My car died in the middle of an intersection on the way to work this morning. Think the gas line is frozen. Fuck.

Namikaze1

Yep, definitely staying indoors. I'll let someone else shovel the snow. Time to rewatch Breaking Bad's final season for the fourth time.

lol, don't hear manyy cries of "globalll warminnnggg!" now, do we? it's all cyclical. whatever melted during the summer from the "heat" will invariably replenish with these types of winter storms. its just nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom