• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Live in the NE? Prepare to freeze -40f/c

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS4-

Took a walk yesterday to pick up lunch, -30. Regretted my decision after 2-3 mins, the cold sharp air, tears in my eyes. Soldiered on, good meal.

CrankyJay

Banned
it's 1 here in buffalo, -11 with the wind chill...for some reason our boss is letting us all work from home today instead of coming in. i'll take it.

I am in coastal Massachusetts.
It is 6 out.
It was 4 last night.

It was AWFUL. I am having trouble envisioning it colder than this.

It does look like that cold trough will be just rain here though.

In the past, when it gets down that low (-teens and -twenties), the old would barely be able to be kept comfortable in bed.

0 degrees -34 windchill here in Maine. I tried to clear the driveway and suddenly couldn't breath it was so cold. I'll wait until it's negative teens.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeah, Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal/Quebec are all in it, pretty much.

I was really hoping it would be over. The LCD display in my car is barely working it's so cold out.

jmdajr

lol, don't hear manyy cries of "globalll warminnnggg!" now, do we? it's all cyclical. whatever melted during the summer from the "heat" will invariably replenish with these types of winter storms. its just nature.

Part of global warming is extremes on both sides. I think that's why "climate change" is a better term.

TheExodu5

Banned
lol, don't hear manyy cries of "globalll warminnnggg!" now, do we? it's all cyclical. whatever melted during the summer from the "heat" will invariably replenish with these types of winter storms. its just nature.

Because a single year is indicative of a trend...

There's many things I can deal with, but the cold is not one of them. I really hope there's somewhere for people living on the streets can take shelter inside.

So sad. The weather when I flew home for Christmas.

11733503116_7159e2acc8_z.jpg

Amzin

Thank God I live in California.

It was in the low thirties (around 0C) about a month ago and everyone was losing their goddam minds!

To be fair, that's pretty awful for California. It kinda fucked up a lot the agriculture out there for the next year or so didn't it?

As already mentioned, that's not true. And last time I looked the average temperature of Earth (you know, the whole planet, not just that 3% or so of it) is still on the rise. Climate change is the new term because people that wanted to not give a shit about the environment were misusing 'global warming' to argue that we're fine on the road we were on.

You are right that there are cycles, though. You're wrong that it's "just nature". It's a bizarre humility that believes our billions and billions of fumes, resource consumption, dumping, and so on don't affect our world.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
It's like 15-degrees here in NYC ("feels like 0" according to the forecast), but I was just outside for a bit and it isn't bad at all. With enough layers cold isn't a problem.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
oh fun

just got a message that our entire HVAC broke down at work yesterday and to dress "warm"

this should be good

Sorry, guys, I just don't put much credence into theories of global warming considering we are currently living in the Quaternary Ice Age. In addition, as this chart plotting the evolution of oxygen isotopes clearly delineates, we are getting colder and in the midst of a significant glacial period.

Phanerozoic_Climate_Change.png

Liberty4all

Banned
oh fun

just got a message that our entire HVAC broke down at work yesterday and to dress "warm"

this should be good

lol

I was actually ok today because I layered like crazy. 2 Tuques, plus pull over hoodie. plus jacket hoodie.

Undershirt, Sweather, Hoodie, Wool Jacket.

Long Johns and Pants.

Actually the coldest part of me was my feet and to a lesser extend my legs. Top part was great thanks to the layers.

Diablos

Sorry, guys, I just don't put much credence into theories of global warming considering we are currently living in the Quaternary Ice Age. In addition, as this chart plotting the evolution of oxygen isotopes clearly delineates, we are getting colder and in the midst of a significant glacial period.

Phanerozoic_Climate_Change.png
Eh heh heh

For those that live where it gets 20 or 30 below or worse, what does everyone do? Stay home and drink or meet at a bar and drink. I can't imagine there are many options.

Liberty4all

Banned
For those that live where it gets 20 or 30 below or worse, what does everyone do? Stay home and drink or meet at a bar and drink. I can't imagine there are many options.

We have 2 seasons. Winter and Patio.

I can't speak for other people but I stay home as much as I can when it's cold.

A warming arctic causes a weakening of the jet stream via a lessening of the pressure gradient between the arctic and continental air masses because cold air is much more dense than warm air. Arctic air masses more easily flow down onto the continent, displacing the warmer continental air, thus giving us local weather that is much much colder than average while still being warmer than average globally. It's most likely what happened last year in Europe, and what's causing it to happen this year in the US.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
A warming arctic causes a weakening of the jet stream via a lessening of the pressure gradient between the arctic and continental air masses because cold air is much more dense than warm air. Arctic air masses more easily flow down onto the continent, displacing the warmer continental air, thus giving us local weather that is much much colder than average while still being warmer than average globally. It's most likely what happened last year in Europe, and what's causing it to happen this year in the US.

I'm going to spare you a world of irritation and remind you to look at incognito's tag. It's not just a funny joke, it's a legit warning tag to other posters that the mods were kind enough to assign to try and prevent him from causing these exact kinds of situations. Just ignore him.

I'm going to spare you a world of irritation and remind you to look at incognito's tag. It's not just a funny joke, it's a legit warning tag to other posters that the mods were kind enough to assign to try and prevent him from causing these exact kinds of situations. Just ignore him.

Ah, so he's a moron. I guess the second post should have clued me in.

dem

-40c for a few days here this week. (Thats before windchill)

Just crazy cold. Its amazing wildlife stays alive.

My car wouldnt start even with the block heater plugged in.

Its back to -12 right now. Feels like I could go without a coat.

Oppo

I'm quite lucky as I work from a home office, so I really don't need to go out other than to get food occasionally and walk the dog.

Poor dog. He's been cooped up since before the goddamned ice storm. Just token walks because I'm afraid of his face freezing.

Celegus

I'm quite lucky as I work from a home office, so I really don't need to go out other than to get food occasionally and walk the dog.

Poor dog. He's been cooped up since before the goddamned ice storm. Just token walks because I'm afraid of his face freezing.

My little Maltese started limping because his paws were so cold this morning after just a few steps outside... luckily he did his business real quick and I carried him back inside. Poor guy!

Get dog clothes.

Dog-shoes-haters-gonna-hate_large.gif

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Cuss under your breath as you walk from the parking lot into work. Dread leaving work to return to your car. It sucks. Bad.

Looks like it's going to be -34º F overnight Saturday. Saturday wind chills are supposed to be in the -50º F to -60º F range so fuck everything.

verbum

Anyone going to the football game Sunday night in Green Bay, Wisconson?

From the Washington Post:
Climate Central’s Andrew Freedman describes it this way:

The polar vortex is an area of cold low pressure that typically circulates around the Arctic during the winter, spreading tentacles of cold southward into Europe, Asia, and North America at times. Except this time, it’s not a small section of the vortex, but what one forecaster, Ryan Maue of WeatherBELL Analytics, called “more like the whole enchilada” [that's visiting the eastern U.S.]

It’s not out of the question parts of northern Minnesota experience wind chills down to 70 below.

In Minneapolis, the National Weather Service is forecasting wind chills Monday morning from 45 to 60 below zero. It calls the incoming cold air outbreak “historic”, predicting it will be the most severe since 1996. “Highs of 10 to 20 below and lows of 15 to 30 below are expected,” it warns.

The playoff matchup between the Packers and San Francisco 49ers at Green Bay’s Lambeau field Sunday evening may match or even surpass the coldest NFL game on record, the Ice Bowl (December 31, 1967) which was played at 13 below in Green Bay.

“Low temperatures may fall to 30 below over north-central portions of Wisconsin … Monday and Tuesday morning,” writes the National Weather Service office in Green Bay. “If you plan on being outside, be sure to dress warm using layered clothing if possible, as frost bite can occur in as little as 10 minutes in these conditions.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/01/03/an-astonishing-dangerous-cold-snap-is-about-to-descend-on-the-u-s/?hpid=z3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom