• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Loki |OT| Time Crimes

Mihos

Gold Member
I would take the Ursa Major appearence with a grain of salt because :
  • He appears few seconds
  • Doesn't show any ability
  • Only the actor claims he's a mutant.
  • It's not the first "mutant" that appears in the MCU. Wanda and Quicksilver are in the MCU but ended up not being mutant in it.
Edit : but now that I think about it, their power were given by an infinity stone (in Loki's scepter). Their power could be caused by a mutation due to the stone. So maybe the origin of the mutants could he due to the successive Snap.
Wanda had her powers as a kid, the mind stone just amped them up. She used a probability hex to keep Stark's bomb from exploding.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
the quirky villain is just so tiresome.
i thought it was Mephisto from the stained glass of the French cathedral -- turns out it was a clumsy metaphor

multiverse shenanigans can only mean Secret Wars!?

He's only "quirky" because he was alone for eons with only Miss Minutes to talk to ... He wasn't really a villain... He was but not in the evil way... At least not from what he said in his monologue.

His variants... Kang or Rama Tut or whoever else, are INFINITELY WORSE!

Shy-Gamer

Neo Member
i thought it was Mephisto from the stained glass of the French cathedral -- turns out it was a clumsy metaphor

It wasn't a metaphor, it was Sylvie. Her helmet had horns, like the devil on the glass.

ShadowNate

I didn't enjoy the series as much as most people. I did like some episodes, and I felt they could have done more with those stories and themes, or that didn't do enough with them. That whole cataclysmic event on the planet being destroyed had so many super interesting set-pieces and they were all underused.

The action scenes were all skippable (or of skip-level quality), and unfortunately so was most of the dialogue.
I don't even know what the final episode was doing with half the cast, other than Loki and Sylvie and Kang, but it felt like they got an ok for a next season and went, fuck it, let's leave all these loose ends why not. And then proceeded to erase the timeline too (or switch to another one? ) so those threads don't matter anyway (?)
I guess I appreciate it's setting up the premise for the rest of the MCU films.

Out of the three, I still mostly prefer WandaVision, even though that one also has its own issues, and a terrible, terrible finale episode.

But, full disclosure, I've yet to watch the Falcon and WS to its end. I nope'd out of that one early on in the second or third episode. Although at least from the first episode, the action looked quite alright in that one (the visual effects and to a lesser degree the choreography). The dialogues though... eesh.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I didn't enjoy the series as much as most people. I did like some episodes, and I felt they could have done more with those stories and themes, or that didn't do enough with them. That whole cataclysmic event on the planet being destroyed had so many super interesting set-pieces and they were all underused.

The action scenes were all skippable (or of skip-level quality), and unfortunately so was most of the dialogue.
I don't even know what the final episode was doing with half the cast, other than Loki and Sylvie and Kang, but it felt like they got an ok for a next season and went, fuck it, let's leave all these loose ends why not. And then proceeded to erase the timeline too (or switch to another one? ) so those threads don't matter anyway (?)
I guess I appreciate it's setting up the premise for the rest of the MCU films.

Out of the three, I still mostly prefer WandaVision, even though that one also has its own issues, and a terrible, terrible finale episode.

But, full disclosure, I've yet to watch the Falcon and WS to its end. I nope'd out of that one early on in the second or third episode. Although at least from the first episode, the action looked quite alright in that one (the visual effects and to a lesser degree the choreography). The dialogues though... eesh.

Falcon has pretty good action sequences and not much else that's interesting or feels relevant to the greater MCU. That show felt like a lot of filler leading up to the only significant thing that happens, which is just:
So, hey, Falcon is the new Captain America now.

I finished it the other day and I thought it was a slog. It felt, at best, like a prologue for another series. I also finished rewatching season 1 of Daredevil a few weeks ago. It's kind of shocking how Disney is spending so much more money to make series that aren't nearly as good as DD.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
They kind of ruined Loki, but that's what you expect from Disney these days.

Ulysses 31

Disney seems to be on a making villains turn out to be good tour, they did it with Maleficent, Cruella, WandaVision, Loki and Black Widow has one you're supposed to root for by the end.

Last edited:

Yeah I would have liked more misheviousness with my Loki. Half the series he should have been causing Havoc and ruling then switch to what the whole series was for the second half only.

Overall I watched each episode but it felt a bit meek in parts. I'm liking the smaller higher quality production of these series but there needs to be a bit more to them I feel; in terms of the writing/events more so than the acting or production etc.

ManaByte

Gold Member
mrJhJQL.jpg

longdi

Banned
i hope the next time loki returns, he also get his scamp back

i happy with disney shipping 2 lokis, princess and all, but dont make tom loki blander than good guy capt 🤷‍♀️

Nico_D

I have watched three episodes and haven't read this thread. Just came to say I expected more from this. It is its moments but far too often it is just characters sitting on a couch, a rock or in a train talking about their feelings, their memories or dropping pretty bad and unfunny lines compared to how good they are in the movies.

Why is Sylvie far more active and better fighter than the protagonist?

When huge rocks are dropping on a planet right before an apocalypse, why isn't there earthquake? That train sure has great suspensors to not drop from the tracks.

It is like in Falcon and TWS: Sam stopping a van dropping from the road. But Sam doesn't have super powers, he would be crushed between the van and his wings.

These series feels like Marvel C quality.

Wanda was pretty good, not great either tho.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I think the shows are more fun in the moment you are watching them, I don't know that they will hold up over time. But as part of the zeitgeist they are a blast.

Shy-Gamer

Neo Member
I think the shows are more fun in the moment you are watching them, I don't know that they will hold up over time. But as part of the zeitgeist they are a blast.
Yeah, maybe. Wandavision may be the one that benefits most from more time passing, since the grieving theme is somewhat timeless, the sitcoms will stay as a part of TV history regardless so the homages are "safe" in that regard, and without the MCU-Multiverse-Mutant circus of mismanaged expectations, a few plot points will probably be less frustrating.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
What's with Marvel and being afraid to use their character's names? Just say Kang for Christ's sake.

Last edited:
I have watched three episodes and haven't read this thread. Just came to say I expected more from this. It is its moments but far too often it is just characters sitting on a couch, a rock or in a train talking about their feelings, their memories or dropping pretty bad and unfunny lines compared to how good they are in the movies.

Why is Sylvie far more active and better fighter than the protagonist?

When huge rocks are dropping on a planet right before an apocalypse, why isn't there earthquake? That train sure has great suspensors to not drop from the tracks.

It is like in Falcon and TWS: Sam stopping a van dropping from the road. But Sam doesn't have super powers, he would be crushed between the van and his wings.

These series feels like Marvel C quality.

Wanda was pretty good, not great either tho.
Well I think by now trying to keep logic intact in an MCU superhero show/movie is just a bit too much to expect these days so I've stopped giving a damned about that.

But I'm in agreement that Wandavision is STILL the better written, better produced, and far more cohesive TV show out of the three.

Loki comes second, and Cap and Falcon at dead last until something equally as boring shows up.

Keep watching Loki though and do let us know what you think by the end of it.

I rate Loki a B- at best, C at worst.

Nico_D

I did watch it to the end. I was pretty disappointed as a whole. It didn't disappoint me any further as it continued doing what it had done until then. I just didn't change for the better.

I was surprised how the character kept sitting around talking about emotions and memories, only the place changed. They sat in a bus, on grass, on the Man at the End's office... just talking. Of the two Lokis Sylvie was the more active one, the better fighter, the one who actually made choices and tried to get her motive solved. Loki just followed he around. Even Richard E. Grant's Loki actually did more than Hiddleston's. I think that's the biggest misgiving of the series, not an active protagonist. Kinda like Orphan Black where the most boring character was the protagonist and all her clones were the interesting ones - but just a lot worse as Orphan Black was more of an ensemble show than Loki.

I get that their point how Hiddleston's Loki has changed but it made him boring. And even if you make him change, you have to give him motive. What drove Loki in this show? What did he want? For a short period of time he wanted to take control of the time bureau but that was dropped. Then he just wanted to love Sophie but what did he do for that? I don't think he did much of anything, just followed he around and talked.

I agree that Wandavision is the best of the three, Falcon had the same "sit around and talk syndrome" (but there wasn't a bus, there was a boat). Honestly, Wandavision had the best idea I have seen in years: sorrow. The first episodes weren't funny even though there were done as sitcoms, i don't know if they were meant to be or if they were really meant to be clumsy. But the idea behind, Wanda's motives were absolutely brilliant. If only they hadn't introduced
Agatha
at the end because then that had to take the spotlight and the actual thematic was pushed aside for a moment - when it should've culminated. I think far better solution would've been to
make Wanda try to deny her responsibility for what she had done, with hostaged and everything, and make her conjure up Agatha as a scapegoat because Wanda can't cope that she has hurt a lot of people.

But i guess that's part of the genre.

Falcon was pretty bad.

We are rewatching the Netflix's Marvel shows at the moment and honestly, I think they are a lot better than any of these three. Better acted, better written with better cinematography. Kinda sad, but Marvel and Disney+ are new to this, maybe they'll learn.

Wandavision A-/B+, Loki B-, Falcon C+.

I did watch it to the end. I was pretty disappointed as a whole. It didn't disappoint me any further as it continued doing what it had done until then. I just didn't change for the better.

I was surprised how the character kept sitting around talking about emotions and memories, only the place changed. They sat in a bus, on grass, on the Man at the End's office... just talking. Of the two Lokis Sylvie was the more active one, the better fighter, the one who actually made choices and tried to get her motive solved. Loki just followed he around. Even Richard E. Grant's Loki actually did more than Hiddleston's. I think that's the biggest misgiving of the series, not an active protagonist. Kinda like Orphan Black where the most boring character was the protagonist and all her clones were the interesting ones - but just a lot worse as Orphan Black was more of an ensemble show than Loki.

I get that their point how Hiddleston's Loki has changed but it made him boring. And even if you make him change, you have to give him motive. What drove Loki in this show? What did he want? For a short period of time he wanted to take control of the time bureau but that was dropped. Then he just wanted to love Sophie but what did he do for that? I don't think he did much of anything, just followed he around and talked.

I agree that Wandavision is the best of the three, Falcon had the same "sit around and talk syndrome" (but there wasn't a bus, there was a boat). Honestly, Wandavision had the best idea I have seen in years: sorrow. The first episodes weren't funny even though there were done as sitcoms, i don't know if they were meant to be or if they were really meant to be clumsy. But the idea behind, Wanda's motives were absolutely brilliant. If only they hadn't introduced
Agatha
at the end because then that had to take the spotlight and the actual thematic was pushed aside for a moment - when it should've culminated. I think far better solution would've been to
make Wanda try to deny her responsibility for what she had done, with hostaged and everything, and make her conjure up Agatha as a scapegoat because Wanda can't cope that she has hurt a lot of people.

But i guess that's part of the genre.

Falcon was pretty bad.

We are rewatching the Netflix's Marvel shows at the moment and honestly, I think they are a lot better than any of these three. Better acted, better written with better cinematography. Kinda sad, but Marvel and Disney+ are new to this, maybe they'll learn.

Wandavision A-/B+, Loki B-, Falcon C+.
Luke Cage and Iron Fist were terribly acted.

They should have given Thanos his comic motivation

They made it nonsensical in the movie, like batteries in matrix.

We in a world of simpetry, pure simping. I think it would have been interesting to see on the big screen.

Secret wars hopefully means Beyonder!

david hasselhoff lol GIF

He is not "Kang" so to speak. In the comics there have been many multiple Kang's but they aren't all called Kang. He is closer to Immortus in this show.
below

wasn't he the janitor of time axis?, who claimed to have built it, in xmen animated series(available on disney plus, iirc) subplot beyond good and evil.

which notice is similar to the Cheshire cat in Alice in wonderland.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

I also have to thank this show for introducing me to Sophia Di Martino, who is quite attractive in a weird way and (checks IMDB) is oh my god fully ten years my junior. I am old.

longdi

Banned
Well I think by now trying to keep logic intact in an MCU superhero show/movie is just a bit too much to expect these days so I've stopped giving a damned about that.

But I'm in agreement that Wandavision is STILL the better written, better produced, and far more cohesive TV show out of the three.

Loki comes second, and Cap and Falcon at dead last until something equally as boring shows up.

I rate Loki a B- at best, C at worst.

i just binged on wanda and falcon. imo loki is A-tier, wanda B-tier and falcon C-tier.

wanda first half was intriguing and fresh but 2nd half went typical mcu. i can see why wanda mystery reveal was more welcomed, to be fair, it was not dealing with nonsensical time travel/parallel verse/time loops/reincarnation

falcon had loopy antagonists and the quips between falcon and bucky came across forced. 🤷‍♀️

i am biased for english brit cinematography so loki got the writing, acting and directing down my alley.

i get the criticsim about too much talky talk, green screens, small scale(covid i guess) and loki becoming softy. I actually enjoy the small scale, you see longer camera focus on the casts so they can do their acting which was the highlight for me and a first for mcu.

owen kept up with those brits and that surprised me, thought he was more a comedy person. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

tom acting was intense and seems he enjoyed the softy anti-hero turn. :messenger_heart:

writers wrote sophia as a strong female character without the tropey modern media stereotype :messenger_halo::messenger_ok:

loki soundtrack is standalone S-tier and made the whole series felt like a grand jrpg

whoever chose this trippy tune to start ep3, wow!

Last edited:

Imotekh

It was disappointing. To me they utterly defanged Loki in the show, turning him into a massive beta with zero edge. They gave every other character besides him an actual cool moment.

The dialogue was at times unbearable. Just awful and cringe. Like worse than the dross teen dramas on Netflix. Most of the blame for this goes on the writers but I also really wasn't impressed with the actress playing Sylvie.

The guy behind the curtain was a fucking shit actor too, with more of that "I'm zany! Look at me! I'm going to eat an apple while talking to you, what a flex!" bullshit dialogue that makes me convinced at least some of the people responsible have blue hair.

The things I liked about the show were really footnotes in the end. I was impressed with the aesthetic and visual design. I was at first intrigued by the premise of a time travelling detective chase. For a moment I was compelled by the "wizard of oz" moment with the Time Keepers. In the end a lot of it seemed to amount to nothing. I'm mostly just left annoyed that they turned a cool character into a little bitch.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Daredevil is the only good Netflix Marvel show
I liked Punisher series 1. Didn’t finish series 2. Not out of dislike, but it clearly didn’t grab me enough to keep me from forgetting to finish it.
The guy behind the curtain was a fucking shit actor too, with more of that "I'm zany! Look at me! I'm going to eat an apple while talking to you, what a flex!" bullshit dialogue that makes me convinced at least some of the people responsible have blue hair.

The things I liked about the show were really footnotes in the end. I was impressed with the aesthetic and visual design. I was at first intrigued by the premise of a time travelling detective chase. For a moment I was compelled by the "wizard of oz" moment with the Time Keepers. In the end a lot of it seemed to amount to nothing. I'm mostly just left annoyed that they turned a cool character into a little bitch.
You’re going to have to get used to the actor is you think he’s shit and not just the character, because he’s going to be turning up again as at least one variant of himself.

The One Who Remains was never going to be a good villain, or even a villain at all given his last minute reveal. He was the answer at the end of the 6 episode riddle, and Loki saw that. The whole series seems to have been Iron Man 2: a story happens, but the main point is to set some stuff up.

I think the show’s biggest mistake is its inconsistency. Loki’s power set, general strength/skill level, and his personality were all over the place when compared to previous iterations.

I wonder if they will ever return to the “Loki and Sylvie nearly caused timeline madness” point that was such a big deal for 5 minutes.

Just rewatched Avengers and that Loki is a completely different character.
He tanked assault rifle bullets, killed over 80 people, traded punches with Thor and then stabbed him, survived a beat down by the Hulk.
The next day he watches his mommy die on TV and becomes the pussiest of pussies ever? Nah...

Ulysses 31

He tanked assault rifle bullets, killed over 80 people, traded punches with Thor and then stabbed him, survived a beat down by the Hulk.
The next day he watches his mommy die on TV and becomes the pussiest of pussies ever? Nah...

loki-avengers.jpg

to
loki-cries-loki-disney-series.jpeg

In a day.

Loki needed a season where he started working for the TVA reluctantly and ends up becoming friends with Mobius or something.

sol_bad

Guess what.
Thor 2 basically takes place a day or 2 after Avengers and he becomes a bit of a wreck when he finds out his mum has died. Thor 2 is where he starts to change, a day or 2 after Avengers.
Yes, he takes the throne of Asgard at the end of Thor 2 but he isn't killing or slaughtering anyone. Just living life.

Ulysses 31

Guess what.
Thor 2 basically takes place a day or 2 after Avengers and he becomes a bit of a wreck when he finds out his mum has died. Thor 2 is where he starts to change, a day or 2 after Avengers.
Yes, he takes the throne of Asgard at the end of Thor 2 but he isn't killing or slaughtering anyone. Just living life.
There he actually lives through the experiences instead of watching it on a screen from a suspicious organization that wants something from him. Still a quick change but a lot more believable.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
loki-avengers.jpg

to
loki-cries-loki-disney-series.jpeg

In a day.

Loki needed a season where he started working for the TVA reluctantly and ends up becoming friends with Mobius or something.

Loki was under the influence of the Mind Stone in the movie. At the TVA, no more influence.

The mind stone ratcheted up his feelings of abandonment and like no one loved him. This was confirmed by Feige.

Guess what.
That Loki caused his mom's death. "Our" Loki watched it on TV. Besides, thanks to TVA nothing is permanent. It's possible to go anywhere in the timeline and alter it.

Loki was under the influence of the Mind Stone in the movie. At the TVA, no more influence.

The mind stone ratcheted up his feelings of abandonment and like no one loved him. This was confirmed by Feige.
That's a stupid retcon. And it's not mentioned anywhere.

Ulysses 31

You should read up on all the stuff Loki pulled before he got the mind stone. Someone like that still doesn't change that dramatically in 1 day.

The guy has centuries of built up resentment.

Last edited:

sol_bad

That Loki caused his mom's death. "Our" Loki watched it on TV. Besides, thanks to TVA nothing is permanent. It's possible to go anywhere in the timeline and alter it.

It's not a retcon, the Avengers movie has an entire scene dedicated to the heroes starting to lose their mind because the .... mind stone is in the same room. Yes, at the time of the Avengers movie the mind stone didn't conceptually exist (or maybe it did) but the implication was that the staff itself was affecting the heroes. The retcon was that the staff contained the mind stone.

Loki in the TVA pretty quickly realised the strength of the TVA. He found a pile of infinity stones that wouldn't work, his own powers wouldn't work, they could control him. The monitor showed his entire life, past, present and future. What reason is there to think they are lying?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

It's the same Loki, just pulled from earlier in time.

As for the "retcon"... It really isn't. Watch Avengers again... The scene when Tony and everyone are arguing and being the worst versions of themselves (even Steve is uncharacteristically antagonistic)... The camera focuses on the staff (which houses the stone) and turns upside down... Letting the viewer know that the staff (which had the mind stone) is influencing them. It did the same to Loki. He wasn't that bloodthirsty in Thor 1. He only wanted Odin's approval and love. He was always jealous of Thor because he perceived that Odin loved Thor more.

Ulysses 31

Loki in the TVA pretty quickly realised the strength of the TVA. He found a pile of infinity stones that wouldn't work, his own powers wouldn't work, they could control him. The monitor showed his entire life, past, present and future. What reason is there to think they are lying?
He's the god of mischief, he should be very suspicious and not so quick to accept what they're peddling him, at least till he knows what they really want from him. And then, as the god of mischief, he'd try to work it in his favor first.

Top Bottom