• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Batman: Arkham Origins - The Forgotten Arkham game

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Alright y'all got me.

PzqjEAm.jpg

zHet79p.jpg

Pimpbaa

It’s certainly better than their Gotham Knights game. I liked Arkham Origins a lot, love that it took place during Xmas. It also had a MUCH better battle with Deathstroke than what Arkham Knight had (which was just another tank boss battle). Only thing bad I can say about it was how buggy it was.

Freeman76

Wasnt in the same league as city or asylum, but thought it was on par with knight.

The story was really good, but damn they didnt put the time and detail into the gameworld, and it was buggy as fuck.

Have a new PC coming next week, i might actually play this again

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wasnt in the same league as city or asylum, but thought it was on par with knight.

The story was really good, but damn they didnt put the time and detail into the gameworld, and it was buggy as fuck.

Have a new PC coming next week, i might actually play this again

For what it's worth, the PC version is specifically notorious about bugs and glitches. Console versions(s) mostly fine, the only problem being that it's barebones BC on Series (no enhancements).

Nah, people just like to think it's bad because Rocksteady didn't develop it.

I'll take Origins before Knight any day. The only thing Knight does better is the technical aspects being on newer consoles and all.
Yeah, for me, when it comes to overall Batman game, Origins is probably the best between the 3 as far as bosses and story/theme. But Knights combat/movement mechanics and city/tech/art direction really are the star of Knight and if it isn't Christmas time and I'm feeling in the Batman mood, I'll boot up Knight.

I am convinced though that people did not go into Origins with an open mind because it does just about everything Asylum and City did, but better and other than the technical issues on PC at launch(which is the version I played) it really shouldn't have been dogpiled on the way it has. Or, I've not really seen a good explanation from people as to why they don't like it.

Those who have never played it or are interested, definitively check out the PC version if you have even a modest rig. It runs great, the Nvidia stuff looks awesome and it's the best way to play it now.

Last edited:

SCB3

Yeah, for me, when it comes to overall Batman game, Origins is probably the best between the 3 as far as bosses and story/theme. But Knights combat/movement mechanics and city/tech/art direction really are the star of Knight and if it isn't Christmas time and I'm feeling in the Batman mood, I'll boot up Knight.

I am convinced though that people did not go into Origins with an open mind because it does just about everything Asylum and City did, but better and other than the technical issues on PC at launch(which is the version I played) it really shouldn't have been dogpiled on the way it has. Or, I've not really seen a good explanation from people as to why they don't like it.

Those who have never played it or are interested, definitively check out the PC version if you have even a modest rig. It runs great, the Nvidia stuff looks awesome and it's the best way to play it now.
I had no issues on the PC version all told

I had no issues on the PC version all told
Yeah, I'll say even at the time at launch, other than PhsyX stuff being a bit wonky, I didn't experience the same issues I kept seeing others complain about.

But generally, I for whatever reason don't run into the same tech issues for games that seem to plague so many.

I had relatively next to no issues with the launch of Arkham Origins, AC: Unity, or Cyberpunk at launch on PC. Which was always made the more frustrating when you wanted to talk about how awesome something was, but the conversation was always dominated by tech talk issues which always overshadows content these days. But, I understand that I'm usually the outlier for whatever reason and it'd be unfair of me to expect everyone to have relatively minor, if any technical PC issues.

SCB3

Yeah, I'll say even at the time at launch, other than PhsyX stuff being a bit wonky, I didn't experience the same issues I kept seeing others complain about.

But generally, I for whatever reason don't run into the same tech issues for games that seem to plague so many.

I had relatively next to no issues with the launch of Arkham Origins, AC: Unity, or Cyberpunk at launch on PC. Which was always made the more frustrating when you wanted to talk about how awesome something was, but the conversation was always dominated by tech talk issues which always overshadows content these days. But, I understand that I'm usually the outlier for whatever reason and it'd be unfair of me to expect everyone to have relatively minor, if any technical PC issues.
Y'know what I was the same with Arkham Knight and Cyberpunk at launch, I only use AMD chipsets on PC and outside of some slowdown on those games when ina big open world, I never had a major issue, though I did buy a Series X just for games like Cyberpunk at the time

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
For what it's worth, the PC version is specifically notorious about bugs and glitches. Console versions(s) mostly fine, the only problem being that it's barebones BC on Series (no enhancements).
Nah the pc version is the best one to play, the most reported bugs at launch were fixed, and even back then you weren't guaranteed to run into them; my entire launch playthrough was bug free.

Asylum is still my favorite. It nails the Comic/Bruce Timm aesthetics perfectly, and the lighting and color choices add a splash of Tim Burton-esque style to it as well. I much prefer the smaller, tighter Metroidvania world design over the more bloated sequels. It was honestly the perfect Batman game.

Origins though, got a bad rap and was just as good as City, and is tied for second for me. I was always miffed though because I never got to play the Mister Freeze DLC, which I heard was excellent. See I bought the WiiU version of the game, which was fine, but they never released the DLC for it. I remember they even sold the season pass on WiiU, and the only way anybody knew that the DLC got canned on it was because people just randomly got refunded on the pass.

Once I finally got a 360 copy later on to play on the Xbone, they fucking delisted the DLC. The game really shoud’ve been in the Arkham collection so the DLC could’ve been obtainable again.

Asylum is still my favorite. It nails the Comic/Bruce Timm aesthetics perfectly, and the lighting and color choices add a splash of Tim Burton-esque style to it as well. I much prefer the smaller, tighter Metroidvania world design over the more bloated sequels. It was honestly the perfect Batman game.
I'll say, I always find I think that Asylum is the game I want to boot up for a good, focused Batman game. But then I get into the combat and I miss the improvements to combat so much more, that I get annoyed and just go back to Knight, unless it's Christmas time for Origins.

Last edited:
I'll say, I always find I think that Asylum is the game I want to boot up for a good, focused Batman game. But then I get into the combat and I miss the improvements to combat so much more, that I get annoyed and just go back to Knight, unless it's Christmas time for Origins.
I miss the gadget attacks and stuff in the later games, but even with those the combat isn’t super in-depth. I like the games more for the exploration and stealth. The combat in Knight has the most options, but I feel like they hyper focused each option to counter certain scenarios/attacks to the point where it feels like the combat is just a rhythm game and it ends up being kinda rote; you can be a lot more creative with the Stealth though. Knight is also my least favorite for the forced Batmobile sections and the Ubisoft-level of side quest bloat. Everything else is still great and it’s one of the best looking games of last gen hands down.

I’d rate them:
Asylum 9/10
City 8.5/10
Origins 8/10
(half a point for reusing assets, though it hides it decently)
Knight 7.5/10
(Less bloat and Batmobile sections replaced with more interesting content would likely make it my second favorite.)

I miss the gadget attacks and stuff in the later games, but even with those the combat isn’t super in-depth. I like the games more for the exploration and stealth. The combat in Knight has the most options, but I feel like they hyper focused each option to counter certain scenarios/attacks to the point where it feels like the combat is just a rhythm game and it ends up being kinda rote; you can be a lot more creative with the Stealth though. Knight is also my least favorite for the forced Batmobile sections and the Ubisoft-level of side quest bloat. Everything else is still great and it’s one of the best looking games of last gen hands down.

I’d rate them:
Asylum 9/10
City 8.5/10
Origins 8/10
(half a point for reusing assets, though it hides it decently)
Knight 7.5/10
(Less bloat and Batmobile sections replaced with more interesting content would likely make it my second favorite.)
I really can't disagree with anything in this post. I'll say, I should boot up Asylum again and playthroug it. It's been Batman Forever since I've played it and I should give it another go.

I'm always so conflicted with Knight, as I don't think the story is particularly good, or at least not the best the series has to offer, and the Batmobile stuff isn't my particular favorite either, but it's tech and art direction mixed with how bad ass the combat is.. I just really love it as a pure "Batman" experience. If I could take the improvements in Knight and transpose them onto Origins/Asylum, I'd be so happy.

Last edited:

SCB3

I really can't disagree with anything in this post. I'll say, I should boot up Asylum again and playthroug it. It's been Batman Forever since I've played it and I should give it another go.

I'm always so conflicted with Knight, as I don't think the story is particularly good, or at least not the best the series has to offer, and the Batmobile stuff isn't my particular favorite either, but it's tech and art direction mixed with how bad ass the combat is.. I just really love it as a pure "Batman" experience. If I could take the improvements in Knight and transpose them onto Origins/Asylum, I'd be so happy.
A lot of people share that opinion, none of these are bad games at all, but Arkham Knights story was sold as the end of the series and this massive reveal of "Who was the Arkham Knight!" that was so predictable and guessed almost immediately, that along with awesome trailers like this for previous games that Knight didn't have:

Which set up iconic villains for Arkham City, but by the time Knight came out, we'd ran through Batmans rogue gallery and really clutching at straws at that point

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
and this massive reveal of "Who was the Arkham Knight!" that was so predictable and guessed almost immediately
I think it's funnier how Rocksteady started straight up lying when it was figured out so quickly; first they said arkham knight was a brand new character that was never seen before, and then when people kept at it they just straight up denied it who it was for months!

SCB3

I think it's funnier how Rocksteady started straight up lying when it was figured out so quickly; first they said arkham knight was a brand new character that was never seen before, and then when people kept at it they just straight up denied it who it was for months!
I guessed it from the voice and voice lines alone, so when I got to the reveal I was like "well no shit"

I wish I could buy the season pass for this game. But after a long time searching I come up empty handed. 😞

Overall I quite enjoyed the game. It was a fun ride.

stn

If it didn't have that save-deleting bug, it would be my second-favorite in the series.

SCB3

So after my fun with Origins, I went and booted up Asylum on my PS5 via the Return to Arkham bundle and I'd saved right at the Scarecrow fight, I forgot how good this game was

Rockondevil

It's been a while since I've played it but I remember enjoying as much as I've enjoyed all the Arkham games.

I'd love to replay it but haven't found an affordable used copy like I have the other games.

SCB3

It's been a while since I've played it but I remember enjoying as much as I've enjoyed all the Arkham games.

I'd love to replay it but haven't found an affordable used copy like I have the other games.
Wait really? On PS3/Xbox I can grab it for less than £5, I just did that earlier from CEX, Wii U is a bit more but I have a copy of it already

Anyway, I just realised that the PS4 version of Return to Arkham is locked to 30fps for some reason, Arkham Asylum was one of my first ever Steam games, I wonder if that version holds up at 60fps...

Trilobit

I watched a Let's Play of it and actually think it has some of the best dialogue and story of the Arkham games. I was quite disappointed in City and Knight in that regard.

How is the stealth gameplay in Origins? In the trilogy I think Asylum did it best.

havoc00

So annoying this was never included in any of the collections. Sucks you have to stream it on the ps5 sucks you cant buy it from the MS store

BouncyFrag

This game and Driver San Francisco see why I still keep my x360 around. The timing of the block button is finicky and not as smooth as the other Arkham games. Blocking gets better once you’ve figure out the angles that make it consistent.

Last edited:

SCB3

Holy shit, they did a bad butcher job of the Return to Arkham release huh?

I downloaded the PC version of the Original release and its so so much better, I may need to go look for a texture mod to make it a bit more HD (it is a 2009 game after all)

The only one I haven't played for some reason. No idea why!
Probably because it came out late in ps3/360 era, during the ps4 launch and never got a port to ps4. Probably can play it on the bone or x/s though. I have it on pc/deck, and wouldn't of played it otherwise as I had retired my ps3 by that time.

Also all the remasters of the original games on ps4/bone, this one is always excluded. Its the black sheep, as warner bros doesn't like it due to not made by rocksteady.

What is sad is it is proably up to that team to ever make a new game like it, as Rocksteady is basically dead. Their two founders left after warner shot down their superman game and made them work on Gaas suicide squad for 6+ years now. The founders who did arkham games are long gone.

Last edited:
Probably because it came out late in ps3/360 era, during the ps4 launch and never got a port to ps4. Probably can play it on the bone or x/s though. I have it on pc/deck, and wouldn't of played it otherwise as I had retired my ps3 by that time.
Thinking of getting it for the Deck. Seems like the perfect game to play on it.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Wow yeah considering OG Rocksteady is long gone, give the Arkhams back to WB. Fuck it.

So annoying this was never included in any of the collections. Sucks you have to stream it on the ps5 sucks you cant buy it from the MS store

Dont even bother streaming it either. First game I tested out when I joined PSNow or whatever its called and my internet connection is top tier. The experience was shit and I gave up after less than an hour. One of the reasons why I sought out a 360. There's a handful of dope gems from that era that just arent available any other way unless PC (Lollipop Chainsaw, Eternal Sonata, Condemned 2, Arkham Origins...)

Last edited:
Top Bottom