• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Days Gone.... This game... Is really good!

Aion002

TLDR: Great gameplay, story and characters, great graphics and music/sound. Unpolished in some moments.

So... I love zombies and third person shooter games... However, I never felt compelled to buy Days Gone, simply because I always imagined that it would be a cheap open world The Last of Us with bikers.

But, every time I went to a DG thread there was some users praising it, so I had this curiosity: Maybe I will like this game?

So, two days a go I just finished Death Stranding (I loved) and was about to start Nioh 2 (damnn backlog...), but, before, I decided to check the PSN and there it was: Days Gone for 14.79 usd. That's too cheap to pass!

So I bought it and started playing. Today, I must say: this game is great!

The Pros:

The story, the characters, the graphics, the gameplay, the sound, the music and the menus are really captivating, the interactions between the characters are compelling and the main character is quite unique, he is almost crazy, but is always trying to hold his madness and staying functional... His inner monologues are great.

The graphics are really well done, they are not better than RDR2, but they are quite competent and the gameplay is smooth, really! There are moments that feels like as good as the The Last of Us 2 trailers.

The world is interesting and enemies are fun to battle.

The gameplay is a mix of The Last of Us with MGS The Phantom Pain, in other words, it allows the player to play any way he wants. Shooting is really satisfying!

The hordes are amazing! Really! Guiding a horde to an enemy camp is sooooo fun!

The motorcycle is really well made and fun to use.

The Con:

It's unpolished, there are some weird animations and rough things (like the dialogue being activated before or after the right time).

The loadings are fine, if you don't die a lot, if you do, it can be a problem.

If you dislike the characters.... You will be missing 50% of the game so.... Yeah... It might not be for everybody!

So yeah! This games is great. I want to thank everybody who defend this game online, otherwise I wouldn't give it a chance!

Thanks!

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

Snow.gif

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Yeah, it was a small enough team from what I understand too. I haven't had time to finish it yet...I have a million games to finish.... I just did FFVII remake, FFXV Royal edition and now I am nearly finished Telltales Batman: The Enemy Within.

Then I want to get at least a playthrough or two of TLOU:R in before TLOU2.

So it will be after that when I get to go back in.

Aion002

Sorry, too many white male zombies. Couldn't enjoy it.
You're probably joking...

But... They're not white, they are dark salmon (darker pinkish-orange). And there are a lot of female zombies and even kid's.... Which I forgot to say! There are children zombie monsters!

How unique is that! I can't remember a game that did that before.

GHG

You're probably joking...

But... They're not white, they are dark salmon (darker pinkish-orange). And there are a lot of female zombies and even kid's.... Which I forgot to say! There are children zombie monsters!

How unique is that! I can't remember a game that did that before.

I was 100% joking lol, don't worry. It's a quote from a gamespot preview (or review, I can't remember now).

Absolutely adore this game, it came at the right time for me because I was craving a good open world game and this more than scratched the itch. The game world is fantastic IMO. The feeling of panic and dread you get when you start encountering hordes is second to none. Then through to the feeling of satisfaction once you finally get geared up and strong enough to start hunting and taking them down.

I even enjoyed the mechanics that others didn't enjoy or found tedious (the bike fuel for example).

Really hope Bend make a sequel. I have a feeling they will absolutely kill it and finally get the recognition they deserved.

Last edited:
S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
For me, the game just drags like a lead weight. I stopped in Iron Mike's camp weeks ago & still haven't worked up the courage to jump back in. I was feeling every single minute of every hour.

It's not an objectively bad game though. It got a rough ride from people on release, for stupid reasons.

scalman

after tlou 2 started playing it 3rd time now again from new without NG+ and i love it , and now all that infected situation and reasons i look at them kinda differently too, we just need games like there out there and more of them, its nice to drive around in bike explore world upgrade and such, and story no matter that i know all of it but im loving it ,about frienship and about love and what you can do for one and another.... that dynamic wheather is just amazing . lots things that tlou 2 just dont have because its not open world or dynamic. and just to play the way you want its must for me.
for first time had this weird situation
EdTptLsWoAInlPv

i was just standing near helicopter just going away and suddenly i got sucked and lifted in air ... wow thats physics there.
thats game that i would like to play again enhanced on PS5.

EdEglKDXkAEuQtg

Last edited:
Definitely an all too often overlooked gem, if a slightly flawed one.

It's a bit janky, and the pacing isn't perfect, but it's an amazing open world game and unusual in it's combination of (formerly) inhabited countryside and untouched but deadly wilderness, with a zombie apocalypse that has left the world feeling like it's bordering on being a medieval fantasy setting.

I really hope we get a proper sequel on PS5. With a bit more love and polish this could be a fantastic ongoing franchise.

Last edited:

TexMex

Slow starter but a fantastic open world game. Especially past that initial hump and getting a few bike upgrades.

Loved the world, quests, fun story, and those hordes get so fun to fight as they get bigger. The sawmill was nuts.

Second half of the game has some major performance issues tho. Frame rate in the teens at times.

GymWolf

Like i said many times:

It's the most honest to god 7 out of 10 game in existence.

It become a 5-6 if you hate zombies and sons of anarchy stuff and you have open world fatigue

It become a 8-9 if you love zombies and sons of anarchy stuff without open world fatiguee.

For me it was an 8 but the game has many flaws.

Last edited:

scalman

well most people saying there is nothing after tlou 2 , and there is a lot after that game if you look closely, this open world can be looking so good in fact, and gameplay is great, upgrades great, i liked that slow story too, even playing it many times i still like it and watch all cutscenes.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I love the dynamic nature of Days Gone the most. At any time you could have a pack of wolves run up, a cougar or a bear and the freakers and animals fight too

When I 1st played it I had some bandits roll a burning car down a hill at me 😂 I fell in love with the game

Unknown?

Can't believe this got 5/10s on some sites just due to "I hate white males." I went into this thinking Deacon would be like Rico in Killzone but he's likeable!

Kabelly

only ps4 exclusive to use the gyro aim function so it's literally top 5 because of that. (wish it was implemented a little better but it's better than not)

game was a lot of fun though. i thought deacon's angered rants to himself were hilarious.

Last edited:

CitizenX

Banned
I like it but the story fell apart with his lady. I mean when they finally reunite she seemed to not even care he was alive. Deacon and his partner, cant recall his name, were awesome. Hope they do another.

scalman

But man its long game . And you cant upgrade all bike in one go so ng+ helps a lot. So many random stuff happens and makes this world so dynamic and alive. So easy to die randomly as well so you never know . But Boozer , why he cant drive bike with one hand i dont get it. It could be modified for sure to control main things with one hand and others with legs. Or make trycicle for him, it was sad to see him become farmer there.

bitbydeath

But man its long game . And you cant upgrade all bike in one go so ng+ helps a lot. So many random stuff happens and makes this world so dynamic and alive. So easy to die randomly as well so you never know . But Boozer , why he cant drive bike with one hand i dont get it. It could be modified for sure to control main things with one hand and others with legs. Or make trycicle for him, it was sad to see him become farmer there.

The game originally was going to have decision points that could impact the story. I wonder if it would have been possible to save his arm. Would have been good to see him not feeling sorry for himself the entire time.

Just finished the game yesterday evening and for me it is definitely in my Top 5 games this generation.
The world looks and feels amazing the details are crazy. Killing hordes is really satisfying and there are so many different ways to do it.
I also liked the story quite a lot. I really hope there will be a sequel on PS5.
I can highly recommend it and it's really sad that I didn't buy it before because of the bad reviews it got.
Bend Studios did an amazing job and created a great new IP.

bitbydeath

Just finished the game yesterday evening and for me it is definitely in my Top 5 games this generation.
The world looks and feels amazing the details are crazy. Killing hordes is really satisfying and there are so many different ways to do it.
I also liked the story quite a lot. I really hope there will be a sequel on PS5.
I can highly recommend it and it's really sad that I didn't buy it before because of the bad reviews it got.
Bend Studios did an amazing job and created a great new IP.

Did you keep playing to the post endgame scene that alludes to what you can expect from the sequel?

Arun1910

I thought it took a little long for the story to pick up but there was a decent game. Things that killed it a little for me was the 25 fps you would constantly get when riding the bike, v bad performance.

Actually hoping it gets a PS5 patch because this game from what I remember was pretty fun.

Sleepwalker

Pretty much played this game nonstop over the summer last year until I beat it, it was very long but I loved every second. Pretty much my GOTY for 2019. Hope they do a sequel. Hoped for a long time there was gonna be story DLC but sadly it wasn't to be.

Skifi28

There's a little too much back and forth between camps, the gunplay feels a little meh, the mission structure is kinda weird and I hate how much stuff there is to loot constantly only to find your extremely limited inventory is full.

Other than that, it's a pretty cool B tier game.

Mjordan23

Neo Member
Thought it was quite average, except for the graphics. Very repetitive and not in a good way. Never finished it either, plenty of open world games that are much better than DG.

Zimmy68

I grabbed it during one of the PS4 digital sales and I am loving it. I would say I am around 1/3 way through maybe less.
I am not progressing as fast as I would like. Basing your upgrades on the trust of different camps is a slow slough for me.
My biggest issue? LOU2 came out, then when I finished that, GoT.
I don't think I'm getting back to Days Gone anytime soon.

Disagree, it was a slog to finish. Was even more poorly paced than TLOU 2 and that’s saying a lot imo.

Too much open world bland trapping with 100 bandit camps, boring crafting on top of that. Didn’t help that I didn’t like any character either, couldn’t help to laugh at the ridiculous name of the protagonist, Deacon St John like what?

Sethbacca

One of my favorite games of the generation. Looking forward to a sequel. The only major issue I had with it was that it took a little while to get into the meat of the game and the last few hours of game are plagued with performance issues. That said I'm hoping it gets a ps5 patch since it's still fairly new.

Matsuchezz

This game surprised me a lot, It was a lot of fun, it drags towards the end but the overall game is fun to play, good to look at, the acting is solid, there are some annoying bugs, but the good overcomes the bad. Hordes are pretty fun to beat. if it was around 25 hours it would be awesome.

Inuteu

good game but have a lot of flaws

exploration for instance, is nearly pointless and you dont feel rewarded for it, except for nero sites

Aion002

Disagree, it was a slog to finish. Was even more poorly paced than TLOU 2 and that’s saying a lot imo.

Too much open world bland trapping with 100 bandit camps, boring crafting on top of that. Didn’t help that I didn’t like any character either, couldn’t help to laugh at the ridiculous name of the protagonist, Deacon St John like what?

That's a shame. I actually like the slow pace a lot in it, it made sense to me since the world already changed, they're just trying to survive one day after the other.

But yeah, I can totally see why some hate it, specially if they don't like the characters and the pace.

It's a very divisive game as you and others pointed, still it's a new ip so the sequel might improve it a lot, specially after Sony made Bend bigger during the development of DG:

We can only hope that in the PS5 a sequel to DG will please more people.

Last edited:
Just beat this yesterday.

I get the critiques, but I kinda loved it. Reminded me of Death Stranding in that it is a SLOOOW burn that doesn't really get to what it is truly about until you are hours in. What kept me hooked was that this is actually one of the more interesting zombie apocalypse worlds that I have seen. Different factions, the Drifter concept of people who do bounties and get items that are needed. The attempts to keep the Freakers at bay as a constant thing in the background. I also liked how it could be dark, but never suffocatingly so. Boozer's ark is great, I loved it, and Deek was a great one too. I mean the cut scenes aren't to a level of polish as seen on TLoU2 or anything, either in dialog or direction. But damned if I didn't find myself caring more about the characters in Days Gone than I did that game by the end.

The characters were broad, for sure, but they also had bits of depth to them. The relationship between Rikki and Addy was well done, Skizzo was the epitome of the guy who will do whatever it takes no matter what. The militia was creepy but understandable, and Tuck was too.

And holy shit at that weather system. When a blizzard started, I went into a house to search for shit, and then there was actual snow cover that lasted for a while after, I was gobsmacked.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Outside of the fact that Deacon talks to himself like a crazy person, I liked what I played and need to get back to it.

Sony Bend is very underrated, I was playing friggin Syphon Filter on the PSP recently and having a great time. They're just good at their jobs.

Top Bottom