• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Dead Cells+ (iPhone 14 Pro + Backbone) Apple Arcade.

RPS37

Got the Backbone One for kinda cheap the other day so I decided to do all the things and try out Apple Arcade. Dead Cells + looked interesting since I like Metroidvanias and the graphics looked dope.
Graphics on the iPhone 14 Pro are amazing. Combined with the Backbone, I literally feel like I’m playing some new console.

However, I know there’s gotta be something even better that I should be playing.

What controller compatible games are must plays on Apple Arcade right now?

John Bilbo

Is Exit the Gungeon still there? I've heard good things about it. How about Into the Breach?

Edit: The first Cat Quest was a decent casual hack & slash RPG.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
There’s a new sonic game thats pretty okay and a TMNT splinters fate or something like that that’s really fun.

tommib

A lot of quality titles on Arcade. Don’t listen to the haters:

Thumper
Slay the Spire
Fantasian
Air Twister
Manifold Garden
The Mosaic
Grindstone
Beyond a Steel Sky
Little Orpheus
Creaks
The Last Campfire
World of Demons
Shovel Knight
Gris
Bleak Sword
Pilgrims
Sayonara Wild Hearts
Neo Cab
Hot Lava
Downwell

Enjoy it!

John Bilbo

Thumper
Slay the Spire

Fantasian
Air Twister
Manifold Garden
The Mosaic
Grindstone
Beyond a Steel Sky
Little Orpheus
Creaks
The Last Campfire
World of Demons
Shovel Knight
Gris

Bleak Sword
Pilgrims
Sayonara Wild Hearts
Neo Cab
Hot Lava
Downwell

Enjoy it!

I can vouch for the bolded games above! The rest I have not played.

I recommend especially Downwell if you can play the game with the vertical screen setting. It is playable in horizontal mode also, but the game is designed in the vertical mode in mind. Such a great and addicting game!

Justin9mm

Got the Backbone One for kinda cheap the other day so I decided to do all the things and try out Apple Arcade. Dead Cells + looked interesting since I like Metroidvanias and the graphics looked dope.
Graphics on the iPhone 14 Pro are amazing. Combined with the Backbone, I literally feel like I’m playing some new console.

However, I know there’s gotta be something even better that I should be playing.

What controller compatible games are must plays on Apple Arcade right now?

Should of bought a G8 Galileo. Went from Backbone to this. Complete fucking game changer. Backbone is fucking trash compared to this thing. Proper full sized hall effect analog sticks and full sized controls, proper triggers. It's amazing!

TexMex

Thumper
Slay the Spire
Fantasian
Air Twister
Manifold Garden
The Mosaic
Grindstone
Beyond a Steel Sky
Little Orpheus
Creaks
The Last Campfire
World of Demons
Shovel Knight
Gris
Bleak Sword
Pilgrims
Sayonara Wild Hearts
Neo Cab
Hot Lava
Downwell

Enjoy it!

Not hating these games. Actively like several of them. Just saying that Dead Cells is the best one, by a mile.

Should have bought a G8 Galileo. Went from Backbone to this. Complete fucking game changer. Backbone is fucking trash compared to this thing. Proper full sized hall effect analog sticks and full sized controls, proper triggers. It's amazing!
Now that I know this thing exists I see Newegg has this G8 Galileo for $79.
Really want one after only seeing one youtube review. connecting it up looks fiddly and awkward button settings.

Does it setup once and remember the settings? Or do I have to relearn it every time I connect.

Justin9mm

Now that I know this thing exists I see Newegg has this G8 Galileo for $79.
Really want one after only seeing one youtube review. connecting it up looks fiddly and awkward button settings.

Does it setup once and remember the settings? Or do I have to relearn it every time I connect.
It has 3 button mapping modes integrated into the hardware of the controller, Android, Xbox and PS for remote play. You just need to hold two buttons to switch between them which you can do on the fly. You can also custom map through the app if you wish. Also has two back buttons that out of the box don't work unless you map them.

I did notice that using the app to launch Remote play or Xbox app, for some reason has trouble switching the modes, so I just open them on the phone and not on the app and it works fine. Might be a software bug with the app I dunno. This things feels amazing in the hand. The grey colorway I didn't like before I purchased but in person I think it looks really good. It looks really nice with a phone in it. It's the best telescopic controller I've ever used.

They only make USB Type C though, so if you need lightning port, you are out of luck. Not sure though if you could buy a small adaptor that could make it work?

Last edited:

RPS37

This game is super dope. I can’t believe put was never on my radar.
Graphics are perfect for my iPhone and controls on the backbone as well.
I did have the sound glitch out on me during a run last night.
Is this really peak Apple Arcade/Backbone Gaming? I don’t doubt it but I’d love for something else to play after.
The new sonic game has great graphics but the gameplay early on is kind of boring.

Top Bottom