• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do not sleep on apple arcade.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
The apple tv box is my first apple product. I bought a new 4k version last month and it included 3 free months of apple arcade. Up until a month ago, I never even heard of Apple arcade and didn't know Apple boxes play games.

I posted before about it but shit it keeps blowing me away. I am an old school gamer and so many of the games in apple arcade appeal to me. The games are fun, interesting, and challenging. The apu it uses is on par with an Xbox one so it is capable and has good graphics on the system.

I am a diverse gamer in owning a ps5, switch, and gaming pc. I am just a fellow gamer trying to spread the good news that I found a gaming platform that is fun and many like me do not know about it.

Outside of games like dead cells+ here is a sample

Last edited:
Apple Arcade?

Donald Duck Sleeping GIF

Edit: I should clarify that I'm not into retro games, but good for those that are.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
I switched back to iOS from Android for my last phone. Apple Arcade has helped me with finding quality/decent games on iOS. I know I can add emulators without jailbreaking these days but it is not really worth the effort. I kept my old Android phone for that.

Quasicat

I mainly use it for the kids. I hate the predatory free to play games that are all over the App Store. Then Apple comes up with a subscription service that makes it safer for the kids to just play games on their iPads. On top of that, three of us use it for $5 a month. Definitely worth it!

I family share arcade with 4 people so that’d be about 1.25 dollars a month a person. Games are pretty fun. It’s truly the best deal in gaming. I like how I can share with up to 5 family members while my 15 bucks gamepass forces me to put my account on my sons Xbox and make that my primary system for my account just to be able to play on his and my own Xbox. Can’t imagine the hoops I should go through if my girl also would like to have an Xbox.

Apple is number 1 with user ease, then Sony I’d say and in third place the best deal of gaming gamepass.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
How long does it take for games to show up elsewhere? I see several already are, or were first, elsewhere, like Cat Quest and others. Air Twister looks like a nice Space Harrier type game. Most seem to be lesser rip offs like any random mobile game outside the Apple Arcade but at least this one's made by Yu Suzuki's company so it's legit. Subscriptions suck, I saw Into the Breach was on android and downloaded it only to find it requires a Netflix subscription, there's actually no way to buy it and have it like you can on other platforms. Also why didn't devices like icade take off? I got one in the iPad 2 days for my brother in law and it was so good. Even if it could have better quality and/or be cheaper, it made for an amazing small arcade cabinet coupled with SNK classics like Blazing Star or newer at the time mobile games I can't remember the names of that were solid alongside emulators but it seems there's only low quality overpriced stuff right now plus every tablet has a different size anyway so you can't quite match it etc., it's a shame as it sure beat the average "mini" official arcade cabinet in versatility and size without ludicrous costs like a custom table/bartop.

Last edited:

SCB3

I get it free with my Phone contract (with Apple TV and Music) and only use it for Mini Metro and Mini Motorway

Celcius

°Temp. member
Eh, I know it has Chu Chu Rocket but I'll pass on subscription based gaming.
Nintendo doesn't get my money for their Expansion Pack online service either.

Gamer79

Eh, I know it has Chu Chu Rocket but I'll pass on subscription based gaming.
Nintendo doesn't get my money for their Expansion Pack online service either.
Its 5 bucks a month. Less than the price of a decent coffee. To each their own. Going to play some apple arcade right now.

* Fun fact. I would spend more then $5 in quarters in one day at my local arcade back in the 80s. People crying about $5 bucks a month is ridiculous imo.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Its 5 bucks a month. Less than the price of a decent coffee. To each their own. Going to play some apple arcade right now.

* Fun fact. I would spend more then $5 in quarters in one day at my local arcade back in the 80s. People crying about $5 bucks a month is ridiculous imo.
Yep, the value proposition is insane. I, my spouse, my mother, and my sister are on the same household account so all services are shared, and the whole family has access to apple tv+, music, arcade, etc since I use Apple One.

The amount of games everyone gets to play without microtransactions is fantastic.

Supple

Banned
The fact that you can't buy Apple Arcade games a la carte and are forced to subscribe is pretty dumb. The only Apple Arcade game I wanted to play was Grindstone. Luckily, it came to Switch and PC.

Last edited:
The fact that you can't buy Apple Arcade games a la carte and are forced to subscribe is pretty dumb. The only Apple Arcade game I wanted to play was Grindstone. Luckily, it came to Switch and PC.
Yes, having options is a bad thing… oh wait…
Almost all arcade games you can also buy separately if you’d like to do so.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Huh? Can you read? He's clearly complaining about the lack of options. Options being there in other cases that don't interest him doesn't change the fact they weren't available where he did want them.

I just googled 2 games from the video other than the one he spoke of, Cat Quest II and Air Twister and their Apple pages list no price and say only available on Apple Arcade. Cat Quest II is on other platforms as a normal purchase but Air Twister isn't as of now.

Maybe the option is there for other games but not for all. Which is what he said too as he got that one on other platforms eventually. Why argue just to argue and so disingenuously at that?

Apple's own description still says (as they advertised it as such to begin with) the Apple Arcade games aren't available for purchase outside it so if they generally are then the fault for thinking otherwise is theirs but again not all are for sure.

What's included with Apple Arcade?​

You can buy and download other games from the App Store without subscribing to Apple Arcade. Apple Arcade games are available only with an Apple Arcade subscription. To find out which games are included with Apple Arcade:
If the option is generally there on this and other platforms as you want to now claim then the thread premise is wrong to praise the platform to begin with since his point isn't so much about the subscription cost but the quality of the content itself, are you sure you want to claim this about it?

Last edited:
Huh? Can you read? He's clearly complaining about the lack of options. Options being there in other cases that don't interest him doesn't change the fact they weren't available where he did want them.

I just googled 2 games from the video other than the one he spoke of, Cat Quest II and Air Twister and their Apple pages list no price and say only available on Apple Arcade. Cat Quest II is on other platforms as a normal purchase but Air Twister isn't.

Maybe the opton is there for other games but not for all. Which is what he said too as he got one on other platforms. Why argue just to argue and so disingenuously at that?
Yes I know exactly what he was complaining about and almost all games can be bought outside the arcade, that’s why I said there are options. He even mentioned buying grindstone in a completely different store so options abound.

Of course there are also some exclusives on the Arcade but it’s not that many.

Supple

Banned

Did Apple change this recently? When Grindstone came out, you couldn't buy it or any other Apple Arcade games separately.

Celcius

°Temp. member

It’s not about the money. It’s about ownership.

Gamer79

It’s not about the money. It’s about ownership.
Are you kidding me? Do you think if you buy a game off of psn or the Microsoft store you really own it? If their servers go down or they decide to take your game off of their store, you no longer own it! There are countless multiplayer games I played full price for that I can no longer play.

OP, you're right about Apple Arcade containing hidden gems. I've had fun with a few myself. You're telling this to the wrong audience though...

...I guess maybe if even just one person here is receptive to this info that can be a good thing.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Are you kidding me? Do you think if you buy a game off of psn or the Microsoft store you really own it? If their servers go down or they decide to take your game off of their store, you no longer own it! There are countless multiplayer games I played full price for that I can no longer play.
Don't let it get to you. You don't have to justify what you enjoy to anyone. If you enjoy mobile games and hate the in-app purchase grind then 5 bucks a month for Apple Arcade isn't a bad deal.

Some people have to own every game they play to enjoy them, which is kinda weird, but that's ok. They aren't happy unless they pay $70 for every game they play whether they like the game or not.

Imtjnotu

How long does it take for games to show up elsewhere? I see several already are, or were first, elsewhere, like Cat Quest and others. Air Twister looks like a nice Space Harrier type game. Most seem to be lesser rip offs like any random mobile game outside the Apple Arcade but at least this one's made by Yu Suzuki's company so it's legit. Subscriptions suck, I saw Into the Breach was on android and downloaded it only to find it requires a Netflix subscription, there's actually no way to buy it and have it like you can on other platforms. Also why didn't devices like icade take off? I got one in the iPad 2 days for my brother in law and it was so good. Even if it could have better quality and/or be cheaper, it made for an amazing small arcade cabinet coupled with SNK classics like Blazing Star or newer at the time mobile games I can't remember the names of that were solid alongside emulators but it seems there's only low quality overpriced stuff right now plus every tablet has a different size anyway so you can't quite match it etc., it's a shame as it sure beat the average "mini" official arcade cabinet in versatility and size without ludicrous costs like a custom table/bartop.

Cat Read GIF

Where the fuck is Fantasian??

That aside, it looks like most people here have already made up their minds about Arcade. A shame truly. There are some really interesting games there, like The Pathless and Where Cards Fall.

Real life....something like Playdough, Crayola or the Playground....

3 year olds shouldn't play video games....but hey, not my child...you do you.
I played video games from 3-4 but then I did grow up in the 90s where "outside" existed. Even when I did go outside I was never without my gameboy. I remember sitting out on the street with my friends linking our gameboys up to trade or fight Pokemon. If not that then we were swapping Pokemon cards or stickers.

My little cousin who stays over sometimes is hooked on his iPad and Switch. One time I bought a football for us to go up to the park to kick it about but it was an effort to get him out the door and after about 10 minutes of fresh air he started asking how long we were staying out lol That was him wanting to go back home to play his iPad.

Kids these days! lol. To me I think it's sad that they are "locked up" in the house with their iPad or Switch or Playstation. I played the shit out of my gameboy and PS1-2 but unless me and my friends decided we wanted to go play some THPS or GTA then you had to force me into the house. Even when we all went back to someones house to play playstation we wouldn't play it for long before going back out. Usually it was because someone came to the door asking if we were going out so we would. That was a time when mobiles weren't a thing and you had to go to someones door to talk to them or see where they were. If I was outside my parents didn't know where I was and they couldn't phone me. What they'd do is shout out the window as loud as they could then if I wasn't close enough to hear I'd eventually meet someone who said they heard my dad shouting me lol.

Wow I went on a big rant there but it brought back a lot of memories just reading your comment lol.

Last edited:
What’s a good game for 3 year old kids on IPad?
Craloa create and play i think its called. Theres also some duplo “game”, but thats not on/exclusive to arcade iirc. Those are decent interactive activities for kids.

Personally I havent found arcade great or anything. But i saved my trial for when we were doing a bunch of traveling so it gave my 3&5 yo one more activity for the flights that are always desperately needed. So that was nice and new for them. As my trial finishes this month, all ive been playing on it is sudoku, hilariously.

There are some better games that i tried out, but i dont care to play them at this stage in my life.

I dont plan to resub after the trial ever. Other than last resort exceptions my kids dont get iphone time nor know what an ipad is, so dont think i need it

Last edited:

Rhazkul

I played video games from 3-4 but then I did grow up in the 90s where "outside" existed. Even when I did go outside I was never without my gameboy. I remember sitting out on the street with my friends linking our gameboys up to trade or fight Pokemon. If not that then we were swapping Pokemon cards or stickers.

My little cousin who stays over sometimes is hooked on his iPad and Switch. One time I bought a football for us to go up to the park to kick it about but it was an effort to get him out the door and after about 10 minutes of fresh air he started asking how long we were staying out lol That was him wanting to go back home to play his iPad.

Kids these days! lol. To me I think it's sad that they are "locked up" in the house with their iPad or Switch or Playstation. I played the shit out of my gameboy and PS1-2 but unless me and my friends decided we wanted to go play some THPS or GTA then you had to force me into the house. Even when we all went back to someones house to play playstation we wouldn't play it for long before going back out. Usually it was because someone came to the door asking if we were going out so we would. That was a time when mobiles weren't a thing and you had to go to someones door to talk to them or see where they were. If I was outside my parents didn't know where I was and they couldn't phone me. What they'd do is shout out the window as loud as they could then if I wasn't close enough to hear I'd eventually meet someone who said they heard my dad shouting me lol.

Wow I went on a big rant there but it brought back a lot of memories just reading your comment lol.

Pretty much the same childhood for me. My first experience with videogames was at 6 or 7 (Tetris on the GameBoy, early 90s). No helicopter parents, no mobile phones, no internet, lots of nature...we were out all day on most days...awesome childhood. My parents did a lot of mistakes but this wasn't one of them. I am thankful for that wild and free childhood.

Rhazkul

Craloa create and play i think its called. Theres also some duplo “game”, but thats not on/exclusive to arcade iirc. Those are decent interactive activities for kids.

Excuse my silly question but: why not buy real Crayolas or Duplo?

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I want them to fund some bigger games that are really polished for Apple Silicon and make it shine. The silicon is impressive, the ports are few and often an afterthought. So far it's a lot of mobile type fare though without IAP/ads and crap which is nice but not appealing to me, there's still few titles with meat though the hardware has long been way more powerful than a Switch even on the phones.

Excuse my silly question but: why not buy real Crayolas or Duplo?
We do that as well (well not duplo on a plane, but road trips for them to use at the destination). Unfortunately for young kids they do not stay with one activity too long, esp on a plane. so you gotta be prepared with a gamut of activities. We bring playdoh too, which saved our asses once when the flight was stuck on the departure tarmac for 2 hours…

Typically youre not packing duplos in your carry on for space reasons since theyre big and clunky.

Markers/Crayons you can pack, but drawing and coloring pages only last so long. Then youre also dealing with broken crayons and dropped marker caps, as well as marking up the chairs and tray table etc. youre not going to be packing as many colors, stamps, textures, patterns, pages, etc. that the app provides either. Im not saying to exclusively replace physical, or to use it for long periods, but as an additional activity its solid.

Also little pieces can be cumbersome to manage in a tight airline seat. You/kids will be dropping stuff often and ur bending down to search for them under the tray tables which are down and covered in stuff all flight.

Top Bottom