• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Dragon Ball

Zampano

Hey Gaf! First thread so be gentle.

Largely as a result of hype for the upcoming Dragon Ball Fighters Z I decided to attempt watch all of the original Dragon Ball and Z before the release of the game early next year. I wanted to know who the characters are and what the backstory is so I can geek out more when the game drops.

I’m a bit of a completionist so went right back to the start of the original series and have been working my way through over the last few months. I thought I’d share some thoughts as getting into such a sprawling series can seem a bit daunting. I know Gaf has a lot of Dragon Ball / Z fans but hope a newcomer’s perspective is interesting.

Growing up in the UK, in the 80s and 90s I was mainly aware of Dragon Ball though games magazines as there was no way to easily watch it – it may have been on satellite TV but I’d never seen it. There was also a Japanese kid in my school who would bring some of his manga in – his English wasn’t so good and I couldn’t read Japanese so I’d just make up what they were saying. So I’ve kind of had this made up version of what it was about going on in my head since the 90s. I thought Trunks was super cool because of his haircut and sword. That was all a long time ago though and I approached the original show tentatively as a 38 year old.

Firstly, I was surprised just how funny the show is – some really great laughs, with Goku, Oolong and Krillin all bringing comedy. Master Roshi is hilarious as well (with some caveats…).

I love pretty much all the characters, and Goku is just great. Such a goofy doofus, always positive, brave and keen to do the right thing. Also, after 110 episodes Goku is still a kid, which is crazy as you don’t really see him pictured that way much these days and I was expecting the adult Goku I’d seen to show up after maybe eight episodes.

The production values are a really fascinating mixed bag. You can see where they’ve had to stretch content out to fill the run time and there’s quite a lot of reused material and filler. On the other hand, the animation itself is a lot better than I thought it would be and the fights in particular are fantastic. I’ve been watching the dubbed version and the voice actors really sell their roles. I can just picture Roshi’s actor doing his pervy panting or Goku’s endless chuckles and it makes me smile.

The music is also great, with a number of catchy tunes and that theme tune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT1Dp69D7q0

Gets me hyped as hell and happy every time. I’ve checked out DBZ’s intro and it just doesn’t compare.

In terms of the story, the show is definitely picking up. While I loved the opening 20 episodes and the first martial arts tournament, the Red Ribbon Army arc dragged a bit, though the finale was pretty great.

I’m just finishing the King Piccolo arc and the show is becoming closer to what I’d imagined Dragon Ball would be. Lots of flying, screaming, energy blasts etc. It’s funny that the show starts out vaguely grounded with only a select few able to use crazy techniques and the power on display just keeps increasing. Everyone can pretty much fly/turn invisible/destroy the moon at this point so I’m wondering how they’ll keep topping themselves.

I had an idea that it would be kind of a kids show, but it’s really violent on occasion and some of the humour is not kid friendly.

On that front there’s definitely some stuff in the show that’s a bit problematic these days – Roshi’s perversion and the resulting portrayal of some of the female characters, and the way they draw black characters are some of the obvious issues. I’m putting it down to a combination of the time it was made and the Japanese perspective. It’s not affecting my enjoyment but it might put some people off.

Anyway Gaf, I’m loving it, though 300 episodes of DBZ is looking like a lot to get through by January. Wish I’d had it growing up but I think I’d probably have been obsessed with it if I had.

As a final note, I was watching the martial arts tournament arc as I was about to do a BJJ competition. I had really bad anxiety and some of the lessons Goku and Krillin got as they competed (it’s putting yourself out there not winning, testing yourself etc) really helped me.

What do you think about this joyous little show? How old were you when you first watched it? Any advice for a newbie?

Window

Saw the show when I was 11-12. I think Dragon ball does such a great job of sketching out and exploring a world. The mountains, the jungles, cities, characters from different cultures, the music, the silence between fights...they're all such fond memories. Z's focus on high octane action means it loses a lot of that charm.

Two Words

The series is downhill from here
Yup. Saiyan twist is terrible and only serves to undo a lot that was great about Dragon Ball. Plus, the world of Dragon Ball is much more interesting than it is inDBZ. DBZ Earth is just vaguely futuristic Earth.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yup. Saiyan twist is terrible and only serves to undo a lot that was great about Dragon Ball. Plus, the world of Dragon Ball is much more interesting than it is inDBZ. DBZ Earth is just vaguely futuristic Earth.
I came here to say the exact opposite. The series really picks up when it gets serious and I enjoyed Z much more than DB. King Piccolo -> Cell is the highlight of all of Dragon Ball. I know that, in recent years, people have come out defending DB's whimsy and adventure over the action based Z part of the manga/anime, but even in retrospect I have to say Z is far superior and more engaging.

That is not to say DB is bad. It isn't. Its sense of adventure, world building, and character balance is also, admittedly, much better than Z. But to me, it feels too lighthearted. It's a gag manga first and foremost, and I see where its appeal lies, but the heavier tone of Z - especially Namek through Imperfect Cell - is just so much more interesting.

NandoGip

I'm really happy for you. The show gets better and better. It's not perfect obviously, but it's still very very very enjoyable.

Continue to post your thoughts!

I hope no one enters this thread to bitch and whine or to spoil you.

edit: omg, people are already bitching AND spoiling. This is why we can't have nice things

Real Hero

Glad you like, just fyi the dub of the original of DBZ is MUCH WORSE than the Db dub as DB was done after. If you are going with English Kai is necessary even if characters like Bulma and oolong get new voice actors

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
If you are going to start DBZ, I will suggest DB Kai. Its the streamlined version without the fillers

Spain here...

It was one of the those series that shaped a generation in the 90's. At a previous workplace there were the ones who grew up with Dr Slump and the ones that did it with Dragon Ball.

It was a weird era. Although the comics, sold in weekly 24 pages and monthly 32 (for Z) were available to all of the country, very few knew the anime since originally it only aired in areas that had regional TV Channels. Back then we were still in the "War on chinese cartoons" era when moral guardians were at their peak after Saint Seiya and the first VHS releases (Urutsukidoji, Akira, Doomed megalopolis) cimented the "manga is all sex and blood" and these channels had looser regulations.

It was odd being one of the chosen ones with Access to Dragon Ball. In fact, while merchandising accompanying series was uncommon, those areas were it was aired had their own local merchanside. Sticker albums, posters... When the NES game came to europe, barely anybody knew about Dragon ball, but with Super Boutouden if you knew who every character was you were like a god. Specially if you could explain the history to others since the game came in French.

Things exploded a few years later when the anime made it to national TV in a heavily censored version. The comics were relaunched, all the movies were released and very crappy toys started happening. The Playstation games came, and a new generation discovered it.

From then until today they would keep rereleasing the manga it editions more accurate to the original, pumping more games... Every new generation is always introduced to Dragon Ball, but we were the ones who experienced it as an underground phenomenom and were never spoilered or endured memes. We never cared about anything being over 9000, barely cared about Yamsha and everybody loved Krilin, far more than Gokuh. In fact being a goku fan meant that you were mainstream as heck and the cool guys were the Vegeta fans.

Experiencing Dragon Ball the first it aired was like belonging to a secret society. Few people knew it, but you could meet another kid from France and suddenly you had something in common. He also knew how to launch a Kamehameha.

God, I feel so old and sad now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=793B1JzMV-I

Skeeter49

I kind of want to rewatch DB, or at least some of the arcs.

My least favorite was part of the general Blue arc, when they were underwater searching the pirate cave for the DB.

Favorite arc is either the King Piccolo arc or the tournament with Goku vs. Tien, the first one not the second. 22nd Tenchaichi Budokai I think it is.

Branson

If youre watching in english, the dub of the original is alright I guess but go with Kai if you want to watch Z in english. If youve never seen the series before I would have started with the Japanese version but if you want the best English voice acting then go Kai. Most of the actors got to reprise most of their roles(but with 10 extra years of experience) and they use the Kai actors in everything now.

If not and you just want to see raw ass DBZ with bad english voice acting and the way most of us grew up with the DBZ dub is still fun in a weird nostalgic kind of way but for a first time viewer without that nostalgia it might be hard to watch.

DBZ is awesome. I saw it on TV in 2000 and the wait for next episode was painful. They only showed first 50 episodes and started repeating from next episode onwards. I raged so hard.

Then in 2007 I got good internet and watched entire series. The filler episodes were very bad though and some episodes just dragged on unnecessarily.

And then I tried to watch GT and it sucked hard. I couldn't even watch it. Just skipped to episodes with good action.

However I started Super recently and I was blown away. It's just too good.

To;Dr: You are in for an awesome ride but avoid GT and start Super after DBZ.

Slaythe

The manga is better than both shows, for anybody not allergic to reading comics and willing to give DB a try !

Wonder what you'll think of Z later on !

FleenerW

I'm also going to recommend you watch the dub of DBZ Kai instead of the original dub of DBZ. If you thought the pacing of Dragon Ball was slow at times, you're definitely in for a bad time with the padding of DBZ.

I know you said you're kind of a completionist, but you can always go back and watch the filler stuff if you want later. Otherwise I think you're going to get burned out.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Watch Dragon Ball Kai. Much better version of Z, without most of the bloat and filler. Also, less episodes!

Zampano

Thanks for the advice guys! Kai seems to be a controversial topic. Did they cut some of the violence out? I've been surprised how much impact they show in DB, with fighters getting all busted up and dying.

Thanks for the advice guys! Kai seems to be a controversial topic. Did they cut some of the violence out? I've been surprised how much impact they show in DB, with fighters getting all busted up and dying.
Yes they have cut/censored the violence down and it doesn't have Buu saga iirc. Buu saga though average is important if you want to watch Super which imo you must.

Aiii

So not worth it
Do not listen to the people saying Z is better, the original Dragon Ball part of Dragon Ball is by far the best the series ever was.

Watch Dragon Ball Kai instead of Z, the filler just isn't worth it.

Watch Super afterwards, it incorporates some pretty good Dragon Ball slice of life in between the Z shonen fights.

Skeeter49

Some of the VA I preferred in the OG dub. But if you didn't grow accustomed to the OG that shouldn't be a problem for you.

Kai cuts out a lot of filler and dialogue wise tries to be more similar to the manga.

And yeah, some violence is cut out.

Sephzilla

They cut out the violence/blood and they reanimate a bunch of scenes and they generally look awful

FleenerW

Yes they have cut/censored the violence down and it doesn't have Buu saga iirc. Buu saga though average is important if you want to watch Super which imo you must.
Buu saga of Kai was released this year, actually.

They cut out the violence/blood and they reanimate a bunch of scenes and they generally look awful
There was a censored/toned down Nicktoons version, but Toonami and the disc releases of Kai are uncut.

VDenter

Banned

If you want to watch DBZ in DUB. The only option is to watch DBZ Kai. It is way more accurate to the manga and the music is actually good. The voice actors can finally act and the filler being cut makes the pacing much more bearable. Whatever you do do not watch original DBZ dubbed it is horrible and only for the people who have nostalgia for it. The dubbed failed in about every single way possible. Z Kai is not perfect but it is a way better alternative.

If you want to watch OG DBZ the way it was meant to be seen just watch it subbed. The pacing is god awful but at least it is not completely butchered like the dub is. Also the music is excellent the same as it was in DB. Not the horrible Falcouner score they made for the dub.

Branson

There's an uncut version that runs through the whole(Z) show. Blood is edited down in only like 3 scenes but you would only probably notice in one scene. I do agree the reanimated stuff is weird.

Two Words

I came here to say the exact opposite. The series really picks up when it gets serious and I enjoyed Z much more than DB. King Piccolo -> Cell is the highlight of all of Dragon Ball. I know that, in recent years, people have come out defending DB's whimsy and adventure over the action based Z part of the manga/anime, but even in retrospect I have to say Z is far superior and more engaging.

That is not to say DB is bad. It isn't. Its sense of adventure, world building, and character balance is also, admittedly, much better than Z. But to me, it feels too lighthearted. It's a gag manga first and foremost, and I see where its appeal lies, but the heavier tone of Z - especially Namek through Imperfect Cell - is just so much more interesting.

Totally disagree. Dragonball has far more engaging moments because he characters actually have purposes besides defending the world from the next destroyer. Dragonball is more comedic, but it's emotional moments are far more impactful. Mercenary Tao killing Bora is a lot more impactful than pretty much any moment in DBZ. In Dragon Ball, Goku, Krillen, Yamcha, Tienshinhan, etc. all have their own motivations in life. Sometimes they must defend the world, but much of what they do is about what they want out of life.

In DBZ, it is nothing but using the stakes when the next destroyer comes along.

HotHamBoy

The sub is so much better than the dub.

Please tell me you watched the sub.

DB def better than DBZ because it's about wacky adventures as opposed to *just* STONG GUYS PUNCHIN'.

Although it honestly peaks with the first arc, after Pilaf summons Shen Long. That's when the filler episodes start coming in fast and heavy.

The feels when Goku meets Grandpa Gohan at Fortuneteller Baba's made me tear up when I first watched it.

DB > The rest of the series

Nightbird

The feels when Goku meets Grandpa Gohan at Fortuneteller Baba's made me tear up when I first watched it.

DB > The rest of the series

This so much.

DB is the superior DragonBall experience. Z is essentially a different series, and Super is a crossover of both that fails to hit the highs of either one.

Sephzilla

People are still saying this?

The only scene blood was really cut from was from the Raditz fight and there is still plenty of it in Kai

I didn't realize there was a difference between what aired on TV and what was on the home releases. And even then my experience with the home release was seeing the Raditz fight

Top Bottom