• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Final Fantasy VII, my first FF played to completion.

Femto.

Three years ago I played my first FF, it was XIII (I stopped playing right after this cutscene), and I would like to say that a majority of the cast in XIII are completely shit tier. Wow.
Any other relation I have had with FF prior was playing FFXIV for a few months and then dropping it because I am tired of the old school MMO formula.

Come E3 2015 and GAF exploded with FF7 remake hype. I was interested in picking up the PS4 version whenever it dropped, the game was never spoiled for me up until I came across this post. lol
I then ignored any FF7Re related threads and news except the episodic announcement back in December. On to my impressions:

I finished the game this morning and I have to say that this is one of the most charming games I've played yet. The music is god tier, and the 2D background art that the characters traverse in, simply gorgeous. Along with a cast that is the polar opposite of XIII's, memorable and are not shallow. The combat, albeit somewhat simple, is really enjoyable and is fun. The whole timer for each character turn mechanic was odd at first but really grew on me. The limit mechanic is great as well, but it took me 24 hours and halfway being into disc 2 to realize that I had to set the limit level once you learned new skills. LOL Grinding out the rest of the limit skills and hunting down the ultimate weapons was fun too.

The story:
JRPGs of today, a lot of the time, have average stories and can be forgettable (imo). FF7 story is so heavily layered that I had lost myself a few times and had to hit up the wiki to get back on track. Picking up the game after a six month break didn't help either, thanks university. Anyway, I loved how the plot started so simple: a merc group fighting against "the machine", rebels rah rah rah. Then goes on to unfold itself piece by piece revealing that their is more to plot than the rebellion with a pacing that was spot on. The plot twists, the plot twists! Sephiroth's true identity, Jenova not being an ancient, Sephiroth's real parents, Cloud's psychological abnormalities plus his identity issues, Tifa's ruse, Gast's and Hojo's fuckery with science, Vincent's passed involvement with shinra, Cait Sith's identity, and so on.

Aerith's Death: Obviously the impact of this event was robbed from me so I don't have much to say on this. When "Sephiroth" plunges his sword into her, she just dies with a smile to her face. I thought nothing else than "that's it?" I expected it to happen out of nowhere and be more discrete with some build up instead of seeing her killer fall from the sky at random. Which looked high enough to have enough time to get in the way to intercept his blade. Eh Whatever. To be fair, Cloud probably stayed in place and watched it happen due to being under Sephiroth's control. I will say though, the music that sets off during her death and continues into the next boss fight really makes the death more impactful. Along with eliciting an emotion of, "it's time to go fuck Sephiroth up", that sets the tone for the rest of the game. Bigger plot developments that happen after her death really makes her death less significant in the grand scheme of things since she had already completed her duty prior to being killed, I'm so glad that nothing else was spoiled.

My outlandish opinions:

#TeamTifa all the wayyyy!!

It's quite obvious that the game sets up Aeirth to be Cloud's one and only, at least in the beginning. Knowing that she was going to die, I decided to make her Cloud's love interest in this playthrough wondering if I their relationship would make me elicit an emotional response to her death once it came. In the end, it made me realize that Tifa is the better girl. Aerith, while having an innocent and cute personality, is too much of a softy while being a goody two shoe. She is a flower girl for a church, I guess I should have expected as much lol Kind of odd for someone to end up that way after being experimented on as a child in captivity. Her adult self showed no significant aftermath, she probably repressed it all. Also, how could she totally be cool with Cloud after he beat her? Yeah she probably knew it wasn't really him that did that, but come on. That was pretty weak writing in that regard.

Tifa's a brawler, much more grounded in reality because she's seen some shit, and much more of a badass. She's more relate-able in terms of character than Aerith's overtly "everything is going to be okay! :)))" mentality. A better match for Cloud in my opinion, of course.

Vincent: Such a cool character! Awesome character design and I really liked his calm/collective demeanor. However, his limit abilities SUCK! I wanted to use him so bad but after about an hour using him I could not deal with is limit skills due not to having any control over him in his alternate forms. I reallllyyy hope they change his combat mechanics in the remake.

One final note, THIS GAME IS HUGE! There is soooooo much to do in this game with the amount of side quests and activities. The world map alone is justification enough to see why Square is going to make FF7Re episodic. Prior to playing the game I thought it was a way to milk the series. Now, anyone who is complaining about it being episodic is out of their minds and wants a half-assed game. The original game is big in scope, if you seriously believe that Square could pull this off in a single release without going bankrupt and completely failing to recapture the original game with modern tech. Wake up!

This game has nuclear power-esque tech, magic, aliens, rockets, guns, big ass swords, ancient civilizations, gods (summon materia), A TALKING LION?! etc. Square put the Fantasy in Final Fantasy with this one. I AM SO HYPED FOR THE REMAKE GAF!

Now go play the superior ffviii and sign my soon to made petition for a remake Xp

Yea I played 7 for the first time this year as well. It's pretty great

Cloud7

I love this post dude. Your post captured the spirit I had for this game back in 1997. Thank you so much for bringing me back to my past self. We pretty much agree on everything here. Everything you stated can explain why I feel this is the greatest JRPG in video game history. I've played others before FF VII and I've played others after and nothing captured me like this game has. Cloud Strife's identity issues, trauma, and childhood past all hit so close to home for me. What an amazing character.

I'm glad you had a great time playing this game and I hope the Remake turns out to be as great as we want it to be.

Zebei

This is the third FF7 LTTP i've seen since i've joined GAF

which I love because it became my first FF after Cloud got shown for smash.

Crazy that a game this old, with such blocky models can still illicit such positive responses so many years later.
Hell Yeah!

nemisis0

I played it for the second time to completion on the ps4 and I am right with you it's just still an amazing game to this day, do play ff8 and ff9 they are just as amazing games and I loved them just as much.

Exentryk

Now look forward to this:

1449569167-ff7r-midgar.gif

Can't wait to play this as the remastered version OP. Good to hear. This along with the 2 MMO FFs are the only two I have yet to play. :) FFXIII is the only other mainline FF I couldn't finish though. I tried twice and just couldn't get into it. The characters just didn't pull me enough.

Cannot wait for FFXV this year & FFVIIR Part I the next :)

You shouldn't have stopped where you did in XIII because it gets better shortly after that. And only one of the party members in that game is trash and that's Vanille.

It was my first Final Fantasy as well and I enjoyed it. Of course I have since played VII and fallen in love with it and written about it in a few LTTPs.

Spoilers: XIII is better than VIII.

There is a troubling lack of Yuffie in this OP.

As for 8, come for the (at the time) pretty graphics, stay to play Triple Triad. Then leave when EYES ON MEEEE pops up.

Femto.

As for playing another FF, I think XV will be my next one. It will be interesting to compare a modern FF that isn't XIII that is riding with a lot of expectations due to a 10 year dev cycle. Simply because I want to catch up with other series this summer before my senior year begins in the fall. Are any of the other games in the FFVII universe worth playing?

I love this post dude. Your post captured the spirit I had for this game back in 1997. Thank you so much for bringing me back to my past self. We pretty much agree on everything here. Everything you stated can explain why I feel this is the greatest JRPG in video game history. I've played others before FF VII and I've played others after and nothing captured me like this game has. Cloud Strife's identity issues, trauma, and childhood past all hit so close to home for me. What an amazing character.

I'm glad you had a great time playing this game and I hope the Remake turns out to be as great as we want it to be.

Spreading the joy and hype is what I love best. Glad to have elicited a response like this.

Now look forward to this:

1449569167-ff7r-midgar.gif
I kid you not, immediately after the credits finished I re-watched the announcement and gameplay reveal trailers. CHILLS went down my spine.

Please don't be linear like XIII. Please don't be linear like XIII. Please don't be linear like XIII.

You shouldn't have stopped where you did in XIII because it gets better shortly after that. And only one of the party members in that game is trash and that's Vanille.

It was my first Final Fantasy as well and I enjoyed it. Of course I have since played VII and fallen in love with it and written about it in a few LTTPs.

Spoilers: XIII is better than VIII.

Lies. VIII is great. You only like FFXIII because it's your first Final Fantasy.

Crisis Core. That's about it, as far as games go. There's Advent Children if you want a little bit more of the universe after the game.

Yeah...

Crisis Core is probably the only good game to come out of the whole Compilation of FFVII. Even if the way it portrayed
Zack's death
is somewhat controversial manner with fans. Advent Children Complete is alright, but you should watch it for the fight choreography rather than the plot. Great mindless action movie, terrible continuation of FFVII.

Is it not on the PSN store? I'm hoping it is playable on the Vita.

Nope, PSP only. Find a cheap UMD if you have a PSP on ebay or something. There was never a digital release.

Femto.

There is a troubling lack of Yuffie in this OP.

As for 8, come for the (at the time) pretty graphics, stay to play Triple Triad. Then leave when EYES ON MEEEE pops up.
She's okay, I found her kind of annoying at first, but her side quest really saved her as a character for me. I preferred Barret as my ranged team mate. Dude with a gun for an arm? Hell yeah.

Crisis Core. That's about it, as far as games go. There's Advent Children if you want a little bit more of the universe after the game.

Please don't be linear like XIII. Please don't be linear like XIII. Please don't be linear like XIII.

It's going to be episodic, so...

I mean, how else could they excuse not doing a big world map and so on? But who knows?

Oh also, with regards to Advent Children, go for the Blu-ray cut. Main fight scenes look better, new scenes that kinda help, better credits theme song.

She's okay, I found her kind of annoying at first, but her side quest really saved her as a character for me. I preferred Barret as my ranged team mate. Dude with an arm for a gun? Hell yeah.

Crisis Core is UMD only. It's a fun game and technically very impressive PSP game for it's time but it's not a must play even for a FF7 fan.

Focus on playing either 8, 9 or 10 next is my advice.

Femto.

It's going to be episodic, so...

I mean, how else could they excuse not doing a big world map and so on? But who knows?

Oh also, with regards to Advent Children, go for the Blu-ray cut. Main fight scenes look better, new scenes that kinda help, better credits theme song.
They've already confirmed that?

Crisis Core is UMD only. It's a fun game and technically very impressive PSP game for it's time but it's not a must play even for a FF7 fan.

Focus on playing either 8, 9 or 10 next is my advice.

Bummer, thanks anyway.

Acrylic7

Three years ago I played my first FF, it was XIII (I stopped playing right after this cutscene), and I would like to say that a majority of the cast in XIII are completely shit tier. Wow.
Any other relation I have had with FF prior was playing FFXIV for a few months and then dropping it because I am tired of the old school MMO formula.

Come E3 2015 and GAF exploded with FF7 remake hype. I was interested in picking up the PS4 version whenever it dropped, the game was never spoiled for me up until I came across this post. lol
I then ignored any FF7Re related threads and news except the episodic announcement back in December. On to my impressions:

I finished the game this morning and I have to say that this is one of the most charming games I've played yet. The music is god tier, and the 2D background art that the characters traverse in, simply gorgeous. Along with a cast that is the polar opposite of XIII's, memorable and are not shallow. The combat, albeit somewhat simple, is really enjoyable and is fun. The whole timer for each character turn mechanic was odd at first but really grew on me. The limit mechanic is great as well, but it took me 24 hours and halfway being into disc 2 to realize that I had to set the limit level once you learned new skills. LOL Grinding out the rest of the limit skills and hunting down the ultimate weapons was fun too.

The story:
JRPGs of today, a lot of the time, have average stories and can be forgettable (imo). FF7 story is so heavily layered that I had lost myself a few times and had to hit up the wiki to get back on track. Picking up the game after a six month break didn't help either, thanks university. Anyway, I loved how the plot started so simple: a merc group fighting against "the machine", rebels rah rah rah. Then goes on to unfold itself piece by piece revealing that their is more to plot than the rebellion with a pacing that was spot on. The plot twists, the plot twists! Sephiroth's true identity, Jenova not being an ancient, Sephiroth's real parents, Cloud's psychological abnormalities plus his identity issues, Tifa's ruse, Gast's and Hojo's fuckery with science, Vincent's passed involvement with shinra, Cait Sith's identity, and so on.

Aerith's Death: Obviously the impact of this event was robbed from me so I don't have much to say on this. When "Sephiroth" plunges his sword into her, she just dies with a smile to her face. I thought nothing else than "that's it?" I expected it to happen out of nowhere and be more discrete with some build up instead of seeing her killer fall from the sky at random. Which looked high enough to have enough time to get in the way to intercept his blade. Eh Whatever. To be fair, Cloud probably stayed in place and watched it happen due to being under Sephiroth's control. I will say though, the music that sets off during her death and continues into the next boss fight really makes the death more impactful. Along with eliciting an emotion of, "it's time to go fuck Sephiroth up", that sets the tone for the rest of the game. Bigger plot developments that happen after her death really makes her death less significant in the grand scheme of things since she had already completed her duty prior to being killed, I'm so glad that nothing else was spoiled.

My outlandish opinions:

It's quite obvious that the game sets up Aeirth to be Cloud's one and only, at least in the beginning. Knowing that she was going to die, I decided to make her Cloud's love interest in this playthrough wondering if I their relationship would make me elicit an emotional response to her death once it came. In the end, it made me realize that Tifa is the better girl. Aerith, while having an innocent and cute personality, is too much of a softy while being a goody two shoe. She is a flower girl for a church, I guess I should have expected as much lol Kind of odd for someone to end up that way after being experimented on as a child in captivity. Her adult self showed no significant aftermath, she probably repressed it all. Also, how could she totally be cool with Cloud after he beat her? Yeah she probably knew it wasn't really him that did that, but come on. That was pretty weak writing in that regard.

Tifa's a brawler, much more grounded in reality because she's seen some shit, and much more of a badass. She's more relate-able in terms of character than Aerith's overtly "everything is going to be okay! :)))" mentality. A better match for Cloud in my opinion, of course.

Vincent: Such a cool character! Awesome character design and I really liked his calm/collective demeanor. However, his limit abilities SUCK! I wanted to use him so bad but after about an hour using him I could not deal with is limit skills due not to having any control over him in his alternate forms. I reallllyyy hope they change his combat mechanics in the remake.

One final note, THIS GAME IS HUGE! There is soooooo much to do in this game with the amount of side quests and activities. The world map alone is justification enough to see why Square is going to make FF7Re episodic. Prior to playing the game I thought it was a way to milk the series. Now, anyone who is complaining about it being episodic is out of their minds and wants a half-assed game. The original game is big in scope, if you seriously believe that Square could pull this off in a single release without going bankrupt and completely failing to recapture the original game with modern tech. Wake up!

This game has nuclear power-esque tech, magic, aliens, rockets, guns, big ass swords, ancient civilizations, gods (summon materia), A TALKING LION?! etc. Square put the Fantasy in Final Fantasy with this one. I AM SO HYPED FOR THE REMAKE GAF!

Nice to hear all of this.
Go play FF9

antitrop

I'm surprised you didn't like Vincent's Limit Breaks. The lack of control is a small tradeoff for the overwhelming power he gains.

Femto.

Nah, that's just me making assumption from the announced episodic release plan. >_>
I imagine it would piss off a lot of people if it they omitted it lol

Dude, I don't know why I forgot about putting this in the OP but this scene made me shed a tear. Only because of my own personal relationship with my father. Ugh this game.

I'm surprised you didn't like Vincent's Limit Breaks. The lack of control is a small tradeoff for the overwhelming power he gains.

It probably had to do with the fact that I used him during a boss fight that regenerated health against his fire attacks and all I had for him was his first limit break lol I wanted to avoid situations like that so I stopped using him completely.

Vincent's a pretty bleh character to use in battle. Good thing the game isn't hard enough for it to matter. Still kinda kills the fun when he's dealing unimpressive limit breaks and average damage.

antitrop

It probably had to do with the fact that I used him during a boss fight that regenerated health against his fire attacks and all I had for him was his first limit break lol I wanted to avoid situations like that so I stopped using him completely.

Ya, haha, I've definitely had that happen to me, too. That's like his one greatest downside, but there aren't many bosses that absorb Fire, so it's too bad it put you off him for good.

His Limits have come through for me in so many clutch situations over my many, many playthroughs.

My typical party is usually Cloud, Barret, and Vincent or Cid.

Femto.

Ya, haha, I've definitely had that happen to me, too. That's like his one greatest downside, but there aren't many bosses that absorb Fire, so it's too bad it put you off him for good.

His Limits have come through for me in so many clutch situations over my many, many playthroughs.

My typical party is usually Cloud, Barret, and Vincent or Cid.

Really hoping they retool his abilities in the remake, at least let me control his alternate forms with a tradeoff of losing acces to items and materia for the remainder of the battle lol

I had the same party comp except I would switch between Tifa and Cid for the third member.

Loved what I've played so far.. but...I still haven't beaten it, and the save file I am on still I think I started in like 2011 lol

I really need to put everything aside for a few days this summer and actually finish it.

Fun impressions to read OP. Totally agree with you on the music and pre-rendered backrounds - god tier. I got a couple things to say about Aeris' characterization. Even though she's got the demure healer RPG trope thing on the outside, I find it really interesting how she's both optimistic and mischievous. Even though Tifa has the tough sexy biker chick thing on the outside, she's actually decidedly more reserved and cautious than Aeris; at least emotionally. Aeris likes to throw herself into new situations and always says what she's feeling. I think you make a good observation about her rough childhood not seeming to affect her that much. I suppose for someone that's so relentlessly optimistic at her core, it makes sense that she might be able to resist allowing that to define her. Even though I'm on team Tifa with you, I can appreciate the draw of someone who's spontaneous and open like Aeris.

Aters

That remake explosion in 2015 really got quite a few people into FFVII for the first time. Glad to see other people try out one of the most iconic games in history. I wish the Shenmue games are as accessible as FFVII.

TDLink

Glad you enjoyed it. Keep in mind that FFXV is a modern FF and will be completely different from your experience with FFVII. Maybe it'll still be great but definitely different.

If you really liked VII you owe it to yourself to at least try VIII and IX which are the most similar in terms of gameplay/style. I personally recommend IX over VIII but they're both worth playing.

JackelZXA

Yeah dude like...FF7 is the most overrated underrated game. It's a solid, really fun game with a ton of variety and cute, charming characters. The game has a sense of humor and a down to earth feel to it. The environmental message doesn't feel cheesy, and it feels like a game made by people excited about a new generation of technology and just doing what they could with it. It's a 10/10 game and while it isn't the best game ever, and the characterization has been oversold by recent square to the point that most games journalists would be hard pressed to even remember what the characters were ACTUALLY like, it's an amazing game that deserves the praise it gets. It and FF1 are my favorite FF games, and some of my favorite rpg's of all time. (FF1 is a special kind of experience that some people won't be down for, but if you want a hardcore beatdown it's worth it!)

Femto.

Fun impressions to read OP. Totally agree with you on the music and pre-rendered backrounds - god tier. I got a couple things to say about Aeris' characterization. Even though she's got the demure healer RPG trope thing on the outside, I find it really interesting how she's both optimistic and mischievous. Even though Tifa has the tough sexy biker chick thing on the outside, she's actually decidedly more reserved and cautious than Aeris; at least emotionally. Aeris likes to throw herself into new situations and always says what she's feeling. I think you make a good observation about her rough childhood not seeming to affect her that much. I suppose for someone that's so relentlessly optimistic at her core, it makes sense that she might be able to resist allowing that to define her. Even though I'm on team Tifa with you, I can appreciate the draw of someone who's spontaneous and open like Aeris.

Interesting comparison.

Here's my take on that bit: It would make sense for Aerith to be optimistc, spontaneous, and carefree because these are her methods of coping she uses to keep her evils at bay. Which is probably why she is almost always speaking about the future rather than dwelling on the past. It's too painful for her.

Tifa on the other hand, copes by putting up a facade and retracts whenever confronted with her troubles. Probably because opening up in the past has led her to tragedy.

Femto.

I've seen VIII and IX recommended quite a bit now. I'll probably give it a shot at some point. Probably on PC if they never get ported to PS4. I also own X (PS4 version) and XII (PS2 version). However, I'll probably wait for the remaster on PS4 for XII since I've yet to play it. I think I'll go XV --> XII --> X --> VIII --> IX.

Nah cuz, that episodic mess is some old bullshit.

What do you mean? lol

This game is one of the best. So many good memories. Some of the best fleshed out characters in video games and a highly addicting gameplay style.

Fingers crossed Nomura can recreate the magic for the PS4.

Top Bottom