• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: God of War (2018)

Three

I got the flow of combat now that I have many options unlocked. It feels pretty good.
I only got the flow of the combat and setting up my armour/weapon options during the Niflheim and Muspelheim trials. Other parts of the game I got through not really having the optimum setup. When I started farming in those two areas though the combat system clicked for me.

Three

Man, these "on rails" complaints are just weird to me. Its not an open world game. What did you expect? The freedom to go anywhere you see in the world? The game is not designed to be open world. Thats not a flaw.

I'm pretty sure you can backtrack to anywhere anyway. I think people are referring to where you can jump or fall off edges but I don't consider that as "on rails" because it's not a platformer.

I mean if we are talking western developed games then yeah, what most of them call a fighting system is basically a QTE, so in that sense it's amazing compared to those

God Hand has a way better fighting system 🤷 and you are right in front of your enemy, you craft your own combos and juggles, and you don't have an overly generous parry either
Overly generous parries single handedly ruin a games combat for me. God of Wars is getting close to that degree but somehow didn't ruin things. Ubisoft games all have this problem. Godfall could had a genuinely good combat system if it wasn't for this.

AC Vallhalla has the worst parry ever. The Surge 2 and Nioh get it right.

I appreciated how they gave Kratos some depth. Instead of being just an angry dude after revenge. There are some great scenes and dialogue related to his past.

But the game is a series of "your princess is in another castle" and it lacks enemy variety. The boy starts acting like a spoiled brat in a very forced manner mid game.

A.Romero

I played it at launch and enjoyed it a lot. Have been thinking about replaying it but I'll probably just wait for Ragnarok to come out to scratch that itch.

Personally I'm not a big fan of souls gameplay (I know, what a sin) and while I enjoy Bayo and DMC a lot, I can appreciate the differences with a game like God of War. I mean, there is plenty of room for different styles of gaming. God of War is just very well made, highest production values and all that stuff.

BTW I do like the cinematic aspect of it. Not every game has to be the same. Sony has their own style and it has a huge following. They'd be idiots if they stopped now.

Basically my though when I wrote my post.

I really don't get it. If it would really brings interaction, it could be interesting (like interacting with the environment or depending on your behavior the cutscene changes).
But now it's just "Walk on this railed track without anything to do".
I blame game journalists especially yahtzee as they kept bitching that cutscenes were bad because gaming is an interactive medium blah, blah etc. Well careful for what you wish for!

But yeah nothing wrong with a good directed cutscene as long as you can skip them

Forth

First time playing this and I'm loving it. Such great attention to detail but one tiny thing I noticed is that although can see the different runes you select on your axe in gameplay, the game just leaves the rune on Atreus bow empty.

Top Bottom