• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP (kinda): Death Stranding

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I originally started the game on PS4, but got side tracked and never returned. Well, until last week.

The game is either fucking stupid, or clever and interesting. Not sure where yet.

I’m well into the second area, and I have a couple of questions.

When it comes to the areas with BT’s, I have been dropping my gear, going further in and letting them grab and pull me away. I then kill the squid and get all those golden hand weeds. This just seems like the easiest and fastest way to clear an area. Am I missing something here? Once I started killing the squids, BT’s no longer give me that uneasy feeling of needing to be sneaky and quiet.

Can you beat the game not doing any of the none main story based missions?

I think I’m liking it. I don’t hate it. There are sessions where I’m hunkered in and like being a delivery guy. Then there are sessions where I’m like, I’m playing as a fucking delivery guy, wtf!?

SJRB

Gold Member
The game is at its best when it just leaves you alone while you traverse some landscape to deliver a bunch of packages.

The BT's, the retarded story, the terribly cringe cutscenes and characters, the stupid baby, getting codec calls all the time, the poor combat; everything is just exhausting to deal with.

jonnyp

I originally started the game on PS4, but got side tracked and never returned. Well, until last week.

The game is either fucking stupid, or clever and interesting. Not sure where yet.

When it comes to the areas with BT’s, I have been dropping my gear, going further in and letting them grab and pull me away. I then kill the squid and get all those golden hand weeds. This just seems like the easiest and fastest way to clear an area. Am I missing something here? Once I started killing the squids, BT’s no longer give me that uneasy feeling of needing to be sneaky and quiet.

I think I’m liking it. I don’t hate it. There are sessions where I’m hunkered in and like being a delivery guy. Then there are sessions where I’m like, I’m playing as a fucking delivery guy, wtf!?

Sure is, best way to quickly acquire chiralium too, not to mention best way to temporarily stop that awful rainfall mechanic too.

It's a weird game, I hate some of it but love more than I hate.

im playing it for the first time right now.
thought it was dumb at first, and i still feel that way, but its also good.

thats how i clear BTs too, but i dont let them get me on purpose.
i like the death boys being around, forcing me to sneak.
if i really mess up, or drive into one, ok fine, lets kill the squid/whale/whatever.

i like to clear mule camps by ramming a truck into everyone.

for whatever reason, i want to build all the roads.
also... ladders. fun placing ladders everywhere.

really thought that japanese woman/wife was a retarded 13yr old.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Ok, I was wondering if I was the only one that stumbled on the stupid kill the squid tactic, lol.

The game is easy. They give you the tools and resources to make everything/everyone your bitch. Everyone in the game world is terrified of BT’s, and I just look at them as an inconvenience, like having to do a qualifying lap in a racing game.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I loved it because it’s so fucking weird and out there. The only big budget game in recent memory that you can’t really put in a box, like this is an Ubi open world game, or a soulslike, or a walky talky movie game.

TexMex

I’m on my first play right now too. About 20 hours in. Keep getting side tracked but need to just power through because there’s so much equipment to make things easier I need to main line it and make things easier on myself.

Hadn’t considered the BT tactic, but will try it out.

Everyone in the game world is terrified of BT’s, and I just look at them as an inconvenience, like having to do a qualifying lap in a racing game.
to be fair, BT + dead body = explosion big enough to wipe out a city. id be scared of that too.

and your character basically cant die. BT gets you, big ol explosion happens, then you just come back like waking up from a dream.

at least thats how i think it works.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Never dealt with BTs like that unless I had no choice, like getting ripped out of my truck when driving through their tar like substance.. I felt the whole" fight the squid thing on purpose" shit was a waste of resources so I would just creep around whenever they would pop up unless I was able to haul ass via vehicle.

Also you eventually get what looks like a bladed handcuff that allows you to cut the umbilical cords (and subsequently kill) off the BTs to get through those areas easier.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Never dealt with BTs like that unless I had no choice, like getting ripped out of my truck when driving through their tar like substance.. I felt the whole" fight the squid thing on purpose" shit was a waste of resources so I would just creep around whenever they would pop up unless I was able to haul ass via vehicle.

Also you eventually get what looks like a bladed handcuff that allows you to cut the umbilical cords (and subsequently kill) off the BTs to get through those areas easier.
When do we get that toy?

Also, getting those grenades hardly take any resources.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
When do we get that toy?

Also, getting those grenades hardly take any resources.

You got awhile to go, and with resources, weapons, ammo etc I’m that hoarder guy that holds onto everything without wasting because I think I’m desperately going to need them later. Like holding onto all of your elixirs in a JRPG and then wind up never using them. Im that guy.

sachos

Im also playing it right now, Director's Cut on PS5. This game is so addictive to me lol, can't believe Kojima made being a delivery man addictive.
Had a lout of trouble with the UI in the first hours, way too many information all at once gets overwhelming quick but im like 15 hs in right now and it's all good, could not find were to look for vehicle durability though so there is that.
Focusing on building roads in Episode 3 right now, those roads get OP when connected.
I thought about your strategy to deal with BT's but did not do it out of fear it may not work out, nice to know it works. I agree that some times the BT and weird story is a little distracting and the game could have worked as just a simple post apocalyptic delivery man but i guess it would also lose part of it's mystique and what makes it so unique.
Not sure if there is any purpouse to being stealthy when dealing with MULE camps, i just go in with a truck running over people or a Bola gun.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

I just got this game as well. I mostly got it as an experiment to see what gaming was like on Apple since it’s only $20 there (30 fps and blurry on iPhone 5, 4K@60 on M2 Max MacBook for anyone interested), but the game is so wildly creative/stupid that I can only bring myself to play it if I’m high.

But I recently encountered a squid (is that what those boss things are after you get grabbed?) and I had no idea how to beat it, so I just haven’t played since then lmao.

I gotta try your method of putting the gear down and going for it. There’s so much of the game I still don’t understand (not even just the story, but the gameplay), but I also don’t feel that compelled to figure it out.

NeonDelta

I started it on pc a few years ago but got fed up after a few hours, then beginning of February this year I decided to give it another go after seeing the trailer for the 2nd one and started it again but on ps5.

Pumped 45 hours into it in a month and finished it a few days back. The further you get the better it gets. One of my favourite games of all time now. Might try to platinum it.

One piece of advice, save often. If you void out all your packages go back to their origin.

I think I’d love the game even if there was no enemies and you were just delivering between stations.

SNPlayen

Im replaying it, I kinda like it as mentioned when doing the delivery main missions but the fucking menus and constant codecs and characters explaining mechanic no. 99 just let me play the fucking game

GymWolf

The game experience has 2942648274828 mechanics and most of them are super under-cooked.

Ds2 better get a complete re-haul or people are just gonna start building highways to traverse with cars and bikes to avoid the "genius and fun" walking gameplay like they did with the first one.

Last edited:
I finished it first on release on ps4. When it came to pc with the dlc I bought it. And damn I don't have the courage to endure another 30h of slog just to start the dlc

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Is there a way to move Mule bodies? I sometimes battle them on my road, and one is stuck in my battery lane of the road.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I’ve gotten into it two times at about 4 hours each time, I just can’t vibe with it. To me, it’s easily in the top 5 of my most overrated games. I get that a lot of people like it, and a lot of people hate it as well. It’s just so strange to me that some people worship Kojima. I have never found any of his games better than mediocre at best, outside of maybe Castlevania: Lords of Shadow but I don’t think he did much of anything in it outside of supervising some of the dev. MGS is excusable because it’s stealthy, and I loathe the genre in general. Idk 🤷‍♂️. I’ll probably try DS2 when it comes out because I like weird shit, but I’m not expecting much.

Last edited:

TexMex

Any advice on quicker road building?

As I understand it, materials in one outpost aren't shared with another. Is there a faster way than taking multiple trips to lug materials to a road paver, or is it just a head down and get it done kind of thing. I feel like I'm making things much more tedious for myself somehow.

Top Bottom