• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Metroid Fusion [Spoilers]

FlyFaster

Metroid_fusion.jpg

Just finished the game. It was fun but not what I am looking for when I think Metroid. Especially after having just come off of Super Metroid via the Wii U VC (it's still 30 cents if you haven't picked it up). There was still exploration but it was very linear, more so then other Metroid games except for Other M which is the worst offender imo.
metroid-fusion-2.jpg

I did feel that this game was more of a challenge insofar as you took way more damage from enemies and some of the bosses were harder then in previous games. I felt like this was both a blessing and a curse. I thought the SA-X parasite was a cool and interesting direction to take. An enemy/prey of the Metroids. I kind of like how they worked that into Samus' ability to absorb them because of the accident and subsequent Metroid vaccine. That was both clever and pulled off nicely. The battles with enemies became a little more interesting because the SA-X would sometimes re-morph into another enemy type if you didn't pick it up.

I didn't really like Adam talking to you all the time and how HQ sent/authorized new weapons for you. I have always believed Samus to be a Bounty Hunter. I feel like they write her backstory too closely to the Galactic Federation. I don't understand why she is relying on them so much. Also the security gates was a little lame, I much prefer Supers method of missiles, super missiles, and powerbombs to open doors.

mfusion_guide_intro_04.jpg

I wasn't a huge fan of the fusion suit either. It just looked kind of funny and seemed almost like a body suit more then armor, which is no where near as cool.

Finally, the look of the game overall was good. There was a wide variety of colors and environments but something was off about it. Again, it's probably just me comparing it to Super again. It was a fun game and I'm glad I played it but I doubt I'll ever go through it again.

I ended up finishing the game in 5 hours and collected about 1/2 of the items.

As I played I took some screen caps of my adventure.

5d86a7cd-b6b0-4146-a887-0f4bf52e4d37.jpg
d4de493f-cf13-4e3a-9187-6445d3125fc8.jpg
098851af-2cf8-4bd6-bea2-de90928843b9.jpg

c94a3f53-396f-4712-9bbc-1babcd622e6f.jpg
3e7e6a70-f33a-43d3-a88a-52efc771efa8.jpg
5a0842fc-10f7-4627-ba4d-2336e788b31b.jpg

8e48c514-f61d-460f-8dc9-68495b431b63.jpg
3270ab85-62ae-4fbe-b8da-d9e3843e9d60.jpg
fe27873b-8b1b-493c-81bd-ab61f0ba00bd.jpg

b87ceb4c-c072-44dd-a3d4-f73d7a655348.jpg
3b64756d-8627-4e15-81cf-090f5507b7ac.jpg
250px-Metroid_Fusion_box.jpg

anyway, hope that was a nice trip down memory lane for those of you who've played. It was a fun and and I enjoyed going on a new mission with Samus warts and all.

SEE YOU NEXT MISSION!

KarmaCow

Yea Metroid Fusion was decent on a first playthrough but it really starts to fall apart when trying to replay it. Having to listen to Adam really kills the pacing. I thought they learned from their mistakes with Zero Mission, but then Other M happened.

FlyFaster

Yea Metroid Fusion was decent on a first playthrough but it really starts to fall apart when trying to replay it. Having to listen to Adam really kills the pacing. I thought they learned from their mistakes with Zero Mission, but then Other M happened.

I'm going through Zero Mission right now! After I played/beat Super on Wii U VC I've been in this crazy Metroid bender. Playing through the 2d ones and then I'll give Corruption another run. (don't have GC for MP1 & 2 and MP Trilogy is way too expensive)

KarmaCow

I'm going through Zero Mission right now! After I played/beat Super on Wii U VC I've been in this crazy Metroid bender. Playing through the 2d ones and then I'll give Corruption another run. (don't have GC for MP1 & 2 and MP Trilogy is way too expensive)

Are you just playing through it or are you doing anything special? Low % runs in Zero Mission are awesome. I love how flexible the game is to different styles.

Metroid_fusion.jpg

SEE YOU NEXT MISSION!
Seeing this picture makes me want Metroid 5 sooooo bad. Gah I really hope something gets announced on June 11th!

Also your recent playthrough of Super Metroid was your first experience with the franchise?? You need to get your hands on Metroid Prime(series) somehow then. MP1 and 2 especially are some of the highest Metroid caliber you can get.

While Fusion's design, may have gone a different route than the openess of Metroid 1 and 3, the streamline experience which it provided was still very tight experience(contra Other M), and it was certainly an interesting 'modern' take on what a Metroid game could be. Lots of awesome elements that I hope to see again in future installments (X, Nightmare, GF secrecy, etc).

FlyFaster

Are you just playing through it or are you doing anything special? Low % runs in Zero Mission are awesome. I love how flexible the game is to different styles.

Well I got my Super time down to under an hour thanks to Gojeran (he finally got his account approved, he's REALLY GOOD at Super)

For now, just a play through because I have never played it. If I like it I will certainly look into speed running it :)

Thinking about it now, it's insane that we got Fusion and Prime at the same time. Talk about spoiled.

Ya, I really, really, really, hope that we get something similar from Retro at E3. I want both 2d and 3d Metroid. Or maybe they've make some kind of crazy hybrid (not like MoM) and we'll be blown away :)

Seeing this picture makes me want Metroid 5 sooooo bad. Gah I really hope something gets announced on June 11th!

Also your recent playthrough of Super Metroid was your first experience with the franchise?? You need to get your hands on Metroid Prime(series) somehow then. MP1 and 2 especially are some of the highest Metroid caliber you can get.

While Fusion's design, may have gone a different route than the openess of Metroid 1 and 3, the streamline experience which it provided was still very tight experience(contra Other M), and it was certainly an interesting 'modern' take on what a Metroid game could be. Lots of awesome elements that I hope to see again in future installments (X, Nightmare, GF secrecy, etc).

I played Super as a kid and (got stuck and angry at the game lol) never beat it. But I've always liked the idea of a cool badass female bounty hunter in power armor so my feelings have always been positive overall of the series and it's characters. When I heard the Wii U version was coming out I knew I'd play the shit out of it and I did lol. I played MP3, which I own. I got it while waiting for games to come out for the Wii U lol. I love MP3, it single handedly made me a believer in motion controls.

I started playing MP1 with Gojeran because he has a GC but we didn't end up finishing it for whatever reason. I also felt it was kind of hard to transfer over to the control scheme in MP1 after playing MP3 where controlling Samus is so easy. The controls in MP1 aren't horrible by any means but I do wish they were better and I'm always keeping my eye out for MP Trilogy if it ever comes down in price (peeps selling it for like 100+ online smh)

I also agree with your sentiments about a tighter experience in Fusion. I didn't hate the game at all. I just prefer the more open ended and exploration aspects then a straight through format. X was a good addition and simultaneously gave us insights into the Metroids themselves, they have natural enemies, ect.

Jawmuncher

Fusion still stands as my favorite metroid.
But with that said I've only dabbled in super about half way and only messed with prime a little bit. Zero mission was a step down though since I did beat that one.

Though I don't really see my opinion changing. Aside from nostalgia, I liked how it changed things up compared to the others I played. As odd as it may sound I see myself enjoying Other M more than at least prime. My be a stretch with me saying that but well see. I'm a pretty odd case when it comes up "taste".

Gojeran

Love those opening pictures.. so sick! I really want another 2d metroid and dare I ask for a new 2d and 3d metroid at the same time? and without Adam? Dreams are meant to be big...

As far as Fusion in concerned- I thought it was a good game in its own right but I prefer the atmosphere and complete sense of isolation Super provides. Fusion is setup very strangely with having to check in with a computer all the time and tell you which area you need to go to next. It is a very fun game to shoot stuff in Fusion though (but not as fun in that regard as ZM which almost feels like an arcade game!)

In terms of 2d metroids I still rate them Super >> Zero >>> Fusion. Its definitely worth a play through or two... the same of which cannot be said about Other M but that's a conversation for another time.

FlyFaster

Love those opening pictures.. so sick! I really want another 2d metroid and dare I ask for a new 2d and 3d metroid at the same time? and without Adam? Dreams are meant to be big...

As far as Fusion in concerned- I thought it was a good game in its own right but I prefer the atmosphere and complete sense of isolation Super provides. Fusion is setup very strangely with having to check in with a computer all the time and tell you which area you need to go to next. It is a very fun game to shoot stuff in Fusion though (but not as fun in that regard as ZM which almost feels like an arcade game!)

In terms of 2d metroids I still rate them Super >> Zero >>> Fusion. Its definitely worth a play through or two... the same of which cannot be said about Other M but that's a conversation for another time.

seems to be the universal assessment, as well as my own.

It's the best Metroid, the music is amazing and terrifying.

I agree that some of the music was did a great job at certain points to highlight and underscore the fear and suspense.

Beth Cyra

seems to be the universal assessment, as well as my own.

I agree that some of the music was did a great job at certain points to highlight and underscore the fear and suspense.

Not universal at all.

While Fusion>Super is more rare, there have been pletny of people, myself included that feel Fusion the best game in the franchise.

Is there a limit on how many LTTPs of a certain game there can be? Its discouraging, because usually LTTPs are mostly positive, but this one repeats the usual complaints about linearity and Adam, and unfair comparisons to Super. What I'm saying is, as a fan of the game, I'd like to make one that doesn't cast the game in such a sad light.

I really need to give this more of a shot, I'm such a sucker for 2D Metroid (Honestly it's the only Metroid games I enjoy)...this and Zero Mission.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Is there a limit on how many LTTPs of a certain game there can me? Its discouraging, because usually LTTPs are mostly positive, but this one repeats the usual complaints about linearity and Adam and unfair comparisons to Super. What I'm saying is, as a fan of the game, I'd like to make one that doesn't cast the game in such a sad light.

Adam does pretty much kill the pacing and some of the tension in the story, at least compared to the Metroids that came before it.

It does help to add more influx into the story, but it does also serve to limit the open nature of the game in favor of bringing in a more centralized story.

It doesn't mean that the game isn't awesome, but it is a pretty different step up from the older 2d Metroids.

Zero Mission put some of that 'open' nature back, though, and that came out after Fusion.

FlyFaster

Is there a limit on how many LTTPs of a certain game there can be? Its discouraging, because usually LTTPs are mostly positive, but this one repeats the usual complaints about linearity and Adam, and unfair comparisons to Super. What I'm saying is, as a fan of the game, I'd like to make one that doesn't cast the game in such a sad light.

hey i didn't shit on the game the whole time! I gave it a fair assessment i think. It's a good game and it's worth playing.

The fighting against small enemies is more tense, the bosses are better, it's less confusing - linear (good for some bad for others), and the music does a good job setting the mood for the SA-X encounters.

Also, is there a rule that lttp has to be positive? If so, I didn't know.

Not universal at all.

While Fusion>Super is more rare, there have been pletny of people, myself included that feel Fusion the best game in the franchise.

this is just the order I've seen the most around the net -- super, zero, fusion

Beth Cyra

hey i didn't shit on the game the whole time! I gave it a fair assessment i think. It's a good game and it's worth playing.

The fighting against small enemies is more tense, the bosses are better, it's less confusing (good for some bad for others), and the music does a good job setting the mood.

No there is no rule that a LTTP has to be purely a postive affair.

Just remember that after Other M the fanbase really split with alot of people completely ignoring Other M and Fusion in favor of Prime 1/2/3 and Retro. So the amount of love Fusion fans see tends to be less because of the huge backlash to Other M.

The fighting against small enemies is more tense, the bosses are better, it's less confusing - linear (good for some bad for others), and the music does a good job setting the mood for the SA-X encounters.

this is just the order I've seen the most around the net -- super, zero, fusion

Most common, assuredly. However most common=/=Universal in anyway. Fusion had/has lots of fans though they have gotten quiter in recent years.

No, it's just that I've seen so many opinions of the game posted recently that begin and end with "Super Metroid", it'd be nice to have a thread that's more geared towards people who enjoy the game for what it is. :p

FlyFaster

No, it's just that I've seen so many opinions of the game posted recently that begin and end with "Super Metroid", it'd be nice to have a thread that's more geared towards people who enjoy the game for what it is. :p

ok, gotcha.

I mean, I might not have given it a glowing review but I honestly think that anyone who likes Metroid should play it. I'm super a lot of the people who are playing SM on the Wii U right now will end up at least looking into this and Zero and I think they will be better off as gamers if they try them.

Fusion was a really fun 5 hours, I wouldn't take it back.

I definitely need to see why anyone would prefer Zero over Fusion.
I felt zero was so forgettable. I remember beating it and and feeling pretty empty.

I have just started playing it and so far I like it better but we'll see once I'm done.

Jawmuncher

I felt zero was so forgettable. I remember beating it and and feeling pretty empty.

Beth Cyra

I don't really get the love for Zero either. It's not a bad game, but it really does and attempts nothing new. Fusion was able to take Metroid change it and make an amazing game that was something unlike we've had before in Metroid.

The SA-X alone makes Fusion the very top of Metroid for me. The strength and presence they infused into that thing was simply amazing. Even Retro's take on a similar element with Dark Samus didn't come close to capturing the amazing job Sakamoto did with SA-X.

Nessus

The real challenge of Zero is getting 100%. Some of the Shinesparking they make you do is insane, and really rewarding when you finally nail it.

Plus, once you do that it makes the final boss deal twice as much damage and have twice as much armour.

Jawmuncher

I don't really get the love for Zero either. It's not a bad game, but it really does and attempts nothing new. Fusion was able to take Metroid change it and make an amazing game that was something unlike we've had before in Metroid.

The SA-X alone makes Fusion the very top of Metroid for me. The strength and presence they infused into that thing was simply amazing. Even Retro's take on a similar element with Dark Samus didn't come close to capturing the amazing job Sakamoto did with SA-X.

Completely agree especially with the bolded.
Since that's part of why I love fusion so much.

GamerSoul

Loved this game. I liked the story elements because after playing some of the other Metroids it was interesting to see what Samus was thinking. And those SA-X encounters were pretty intense.

zashga

Fusion is a good game, but it also led directly to Other M. The ultra linear progression, the preponderance of clumsy exposition and dialog, the weird left turn that Samus's character took toward meek obedience... it all started in Fusion. Fusion still isn't bad, but Zero Mission is the better GBA Metroid game.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm finally playing this game now, and I have to say I really, really like it.

It's not perfect by any means, and I wish they just ditched the Navigation rooms all together, but the controls, the visuals and the music is perfection. But it's not ruining the game by any means. The flack given to the more linear Metroid games are hyperbolic, particularly this, but not the least Other M. There are still plenty of random secrets, mixed with the not so random ones, and most importantly: The game is NEVER really boring IMO.

The bosses and enemies are maybe generally a bit easy early on in the game. But by the time this sucker arrives, you know it's business time:

I died four or five times fighting Yakuza, which was super annoying given that you have to run all the way from your ship to get there every time. Morph balling in the corner helped a lot though

I've come to realize my dream 2D Metroid (played all but Zero Mission, which is next on the list) would be a fusion between SM and Fusion (heh). The openness/explorative aspect of SM, with the smoothness and control of Fusion = win.

You know what you have to do, Nintendo. The 3DS would be perfect for it!

Red UFO

Before getting the fusion suit, Samus rests her free hand on her cannon. Afterwards she uses it to support the cannon, since she has no mechanical help to lift it.

Cool little detail.

I'm playing this again on the 3DS for the first time since its GBA release. I'm liking it a lot. Though I hate being cordoned off at times, and I think holding down the L/R was easier on the original hardware.

I've come to realize my dream 2D Metroid (played all but Zero Mission, which is next on the list) would be a fusion between SM and Fusion (heh). The openness/explorative aspect of SM, with the smoothness and control of Fusion = win.

what you've described sounds a lot like Zero Mission actually. It's really good, but I still prefer Super Metroid to it.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm playing this again on the 3DS for the first time since its GBA release. I'm liking it a lot. Though I hate being cordoned off at times, and I think holding down the L/R was easier on the original hardware.

I'm playing it on a GBA SP, and it's perfection control-wise.

what you've described sounds a lot like Zero Mission actually. It's really good, but I still prefer Super Metroid to it.

:) I have the cartridge ready, so go go go !

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Just finished, steamworld dig and was looking for a game to scratch my itch, realized I had this in ambassador program, I had played it a bit before but got stuck on a certain area, my problem is I am too impatient/at times with games like this.

but I carried on, and wow, this game is great.

I want to complete this game and just crack on with Super Metroid I have the VC version.

I love these type of games but as i have said above, I get too impatient at times and this leads to me missing the clues, why did I take so long to pick this game up and play it???

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Fusion is easily my favorite Metroid game, the atmosphere was top notch, and the sense of doubt that Samus has towards her mission really pulls the whole setting together, I understand the complaint about too much linearity but I think it works to the games favor, there is always a distinct objective that isn't too obtrusive to you exploring but it keeps you on track. Also it gives the game fantastic pacing, which helps with how tense the atmosphere of the game is.

-You're on a space station
-It's empty
-The X parasites are mimicing you
-You're doubtful of your mission
-You're doubtful of your CO
-Not sure who to believe / trust

2spooky4u

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
fantastic game. This and Prime made a massive combo of brilliance that almost destroyed the space continuum

Celegus

Still makes me mad that Nintendo refuses to let the rest of us pay for this (and the other ambassador games). It doesn't make any sense! Let me give you money!

The game doesn't live up to the artwork. I don't think there's a game that is widely liked that I disagree with more. I was so disappointed in the linearity. Without the exploration and layouts, it's just a good sidescroller with a Metroid skin.

Gameplay-wise, it's not in the same ballpark as Super Metroid. Watch a Zoasty speedrun if you don't know what I mean.

Ahh, my favorite 2D Metroid. I loved everything about it... I think it easily has the best boss battles of all the 2D Games. As with all Metroid games, don't let the in game clock fool you... They're not as short as the clock reflects.

Celegus

Ahh, my favorite 2D Metroid. I loved everything about it... I think it easily has the best boss battles of all the 2D Games. As with all Metroid games, don't let the in game clock fool you... They're not as short as the clock reflects.

Fusion is actually the only game I've ever tried to speedrun. I used to do a run in the car whenever we'd take a long car trip somewhere, got my time down to around 1:20 I believe.

Top Bottom