• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: MGS V - WTF is this?!

That's surprising. MGSV is the best game for people who haven't played MGS. The original fans don't care that much for it though.

MGS3 is the best MGS for people who haven't played MGS, as it doesn't rely on familiarity with the other games, and it's gameplay/engine is more accessible than MGS1.

MGSV is a terrible choice for newcomers, as a ton of characters and plot points follow on from Peace Walker. And even a lot of MGS fans never played that one. Personally, I think it's stupid to call this one "MGSV", as that infers Peace Walker is a side-game, which MGSV is actually the sequel to.

Although on second thought, since MGSV doesn't even bother finishing off it's own fucking story, no big deal if you don't know the start of that story either, right?

I think it is not exactly a bad first mgs title for you. You can focus on the one strength of the game (gameplay) while not necessarily being bothered by its obvious weakness (bad story compared to other titles in the franchise). This whole "bad mgs but great game in general" should especially suit newcomers.

EDIT:
The stealth in MGSV is the best in any game ever, once you actually get to the open world part (which is soon)

Also this!

Maxrunner

Mgs franchise is the proof that better hardware doesnt necessarely makes a better game. The original psx one is still the best.

Timeaisis

You played the prologue, which honestly, has almost nothing to do with how the rest of the game plays. Keep at if you want, unless you are too soured by the experience.

The stealth in MGSV is the best in any game ever, once you actually get to the open world part (which is soon)

Why exactly was it your first MGS? Poor desicion IMO, not just because it's really different than the rest (so it's not a good entry point to the franchise), but because it's the fifth game of a plot centered franchise. How did you get to that?
Anyway try to keep playing and maybe you'll like it for the great gameplay it offers.
I only played Ground Zeroes and V and loved just about everything in both games.

I actually liked the weird story shit as well... but I am certainly not going to take it so seriously to feel the need to play a bunch of other games to get the story (which it seems most fans of the series don't even understand). I actually think there is enough to enjoy it with knowing anything about the previous games... though I got curious about the different Snakes and reading a wiki for 5 min was enough. As I said, I enjoyed the story elements, but they are incredibly stupid.

I can't get into it. I rescued Kaz and did a couple other missions, think I am still in Chapter 2. Never been so bored of an MGS game.
I thought I had completed the game, then it revealed chapter 2. I was so sick of the game by the and uninstalled it, even after being initially very positive to the new and fresh gameplay.

I mean WTF is that story about really?
A virus designed to attack people speaking English, planned by fucking skeletor himself?! Lmao

Marakh101

Neo Member
There's great moments here and there like the Otacon rescue mission or the last Quiet mission. Overall it's a fucking mess though. If they had designed it like MGS3 in terms of structure it would have been the best action game of all time.

Shadybiz

You played the prologue, which honestly, has almost nothing to do with how the rest of the game plays. Keep at if you want, unless you are too soured by the experience.

Yeah this. I didn't care for the prologue either. Gets MUCH better VERY soon. That said, I still have to finish this game...I have been plagued by a Rocket League addiction and have dropped everything else.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of people in this thread talking on behalf of others. Wish I were that confident.

I'm just going to clarify that the prologue was definitely not enjoyable for MGS veterans and that it won't be explained until the very end of the game.

I thought it was great,
certainly the first time

That's surprising. MGSV is the best game for people who haven't played MGS. The original fans don't care that much for it though.

I'd put myself in the latter camp and I think it's marvellous. _(ツ)_/¯

Angel_DvA

Gameplay wise, it's the best MGS if not the best game ever created, MGS wise it's the second best game of the series after MGS2.

The thing is, this game is so good that almost all the games I've played after it was a chore, too bad it wasn't finished, could have been GOAT with no contest around it.

Gator86

The opening of MGSV is complete and utter trash. It really is like a parody of linear, story based games. It fills me with disdain every time I play it.

Oynox

Finally I managed to read through all responses. I really did not expect that so many would agree with me, I am surprised.

First of all I forgot to mention that I indeed played Ground Zeroes a couple of months ago as I obtained it for free with the GwG program. I fairly enjoyed it due to the dense map and good level structure and thus the streamlined stealth gameplay. It was real fun. However I cannot connect anything from that story to the prologue of V.

Also, I know that the game is praised for the great open world stealth gameplay and I was quite certain that the prologue would not be representative for the rest of game game, but I was shocked about the prologue nonetheless. It was not even the fact that I did not understand everything but first I did not expect surreal elements like this man of fire and foremost I really was surprised by the cheese writing and actions.

Apparently both elements seem to be Kojima signature elements and I admit I do not know anything about his games. That probably is why I was so expressive in my reaction. I simply did not expect that so many people like that kind of style (though seemingly many also did not).

To those who blame me for starting with the fifth game of the series: I did not expect to understand everything since I knew that it is mainly a gameplay focused game. As I detailed above I simply was heavily surprised by the style.

Additionally to that I am seriously wondering if this argument is a strong one nowadays. Developers probably want to reach a bigger audience than those who played all games of a 20-year franchise, right? And it is no secret I would say, since often they state in interviews that also newcomers would enjoy it. Seriously, I find it a bit too much to demand playing all games before the fifth one. Owning only a 360 and One it certainly is no easy task...

What I take from the thread is that the prologue is not representative at all, the story is not very strong anyways and that the game is excellent gameplay wise. I will continue playing it, but yeah, my initial reaction no is in the internetz.

Ricky_R

Talk about prematurity.

Anyway, prologue is... well not good, but the gameplay is great soon after. Then it will possibly become pretty tedious and repetitive, and then it will be up to you if you want bother finishing it.

Also, if you want to connect GZ to TPP you will need to listen to the tapes and see the game through to the end.

Just booted the game up again. Forgot how ace the mechanics are. I don't see a game coming out any time soon that runs, looks and plays as good as this game. 60 fps, good animation, open world, tons of missions. I feel bad for those who dont enjoy the game

dcx4610

The prologue and story doesn't make sense to even Metal Gear fans. Metal Gear has always had a fairly serious story with a bit of goofiness thrown in. All of it was at least plausible for the most part.

The prologue was unacceptable and turned the game too far fantasy/sci-fi. I still enjoyed the game but it in no way should have been MGS5. It should have been a sequel to Peace Walker and a side story.

If you want a good MGS, play the first and if you like it, play 2 and 3. I liked 4 too but it's a bit polarizing. 3 being the best IMO but it does help to play the others.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Wait till later in the game what a screw up it is. I got allot of hours from the game - value for money is no doubt but it was rushed in Act 2. It ruined the overall game.

The prologue and story doesn't make sense to even Metal Gear fans. Metal Gear has always had a fairly serious story with a bit of goofiness thrown in. All of it was at least plausible for the most part.

The prologue was unacceptable and turned the game too far fantasy/sci-fi. I still enjoyed the game but it in no way should have been MGS5. It should have been a sequel to Peace Walker and a side story.

If you want a good MGS, play the first and if you like it, play 2 and 3. I liked 4 too but it's a bit polarizing. 3 being the best IMO but it does help to play the others.

What about it doesn't make sense? The story is not hard to follow along. Every character motivation and plot twist is explained in detail.

MGSV somehow goes too far into goofy town? This is a series responsible for blood sucking vampires, cyborg ninjas, world dominating giant robots, and various over the top psychological sci-fi concepts, and MGSV isn't the one that's plausible?

Whilst the story might not be the greatest (I didn't have an issue with it but I'm not a huge metal gear fan ) , thankfully it's the gameplay that shines .

Still the best controlling third person game out , makes it so easy to pull of awesome moves such as this :

https://youtu.be/LV1h78Mdv7I

IrishNinja

Sorry OP. You picked the less Metal Gear game of the series.
Even AC!D is more Metal Gear than V.

ya'll are ridiculous with the V hate

Do not start with anything other than Metal Gear Solid 1.

If you really must, you can start with Metal Gear 1.

wait, like MG1 isn't amazing for its time? i loved the NES one as a kid, but now we can play the vastly superior MSX one on subsistence, and it's a great way to start the series!

Man, the worst thing for me was that I couldn't take Skullface seriously because when I looked at him all that I could see was that

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_9cv5icdwj8ws0og48w0gogwgg_640.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He3Z8hMBovs

Fuck you, He-man.

Greddleok

People suggesting starting with MG1 are insane. Even going back to MGS1 is tough now, it has really aged quite poorly.

MGS3 on the other hand is where I'd recommend starting. If you don't like that, then there's no chance you'll like anything in the series. I regret starting with MGS1 when it came out on PS3 and it put me right off the series. After getting 2 & 3 I absolutely fell in love with the games.

Haunted

It's the best one to play if you're planning to just play one, but if you're looking for an entry point into the series as a whole, it's probably not the best place to start.

nOoblet16

No you shouldn't start with MGS1,2 or 4 or 5. Rising is a great game with amazing music, Metal Gear craziness and nice combat but it's not actually MGS.
And every single opinion about which MGS you should play first is incorrect except for this:

It's a prequel so it's a story on its own, and is considered to have the best told story out of any MGS. Subsistence version in the remaster also plays well with the modern camera.

Lunafreya

I think I gave up at chapter 43 or something.
Gameplay is Metal Gear, but like all games that go a different direction, it's lacks everything that makes MGS good and the old formula was better.
Lucky it still has it's identity as a MGS game in its core gameplay but just like RE7 will be
It's a poor game for the series and sacrifices everything that makes it what it is for a current saturated tend and critic feedback to make a doll and uninspired entry in a otherwise great series.
Some cutsscenes mission focus and boss battles and more talkative Boss would have gone a long way.

Are you saying RE7 is sacrificing its identity? Because if so then that is false, judging by the interviews for the game it seems to be way closer to the classics than ever and we've not seen the real game proper yet. People need to stop basing everything off the teaser as if its the final product!!

on topic: MGS ever since MGS4 up to V has always been pretty poor story wise, ever since Fukushima the co-writer of MGS, who wrote with Kojima MGS1-3 left or disappeared ( I don't know his status.) The storytelling has been extremely poor and relies on a plot device that is used multiple times throughout each entry, (MGS4: Nanomachines, Peace Walker: A.I.s and MGSV: Parasites.)

It's honestly a shame the world building and consistency of Metal Gear was wonderful in MGS1-3, Fukushima also handled the codecs.. which were pretty in-depth and fun filled with details, weapon details, lore backgrounds, interesting and funny conversations and easter eggs. I still think Kojima is a great director and game designer, but the writing part.. not so much.

Robot Pants

People suggesting starting with MG1 are insane. Even going back to MGS1 is tough now, it has really aged quite poorly.

MGS3 on the other hand is where I'd recommend starting. If you don't like that, then there's no chance you'll like anything in the series. I regret starting with MGS1 when it came out on PS3 and it put me right off the series. After getting 2 & 3 I absolutely fell in love with the games.
Starting with MGS3 ruins the impact of MGS3. Why on earth would you start with that game?

sappyday

That intro is the best thing about the game besides the gameplay. Sounds like Metal Gear story won't be your type cause MGSV's is pretty barren compared to the rest but it still managed to piss you off.

vaderise

This game is something. Gameplay-wise it's the greatest stealth game of all time. As an open world title it sucks ass but the open world blends with stealth mechanics so well that i can't complain about how bland the open world is. Story is REALLY weird and even the game doesn't bother telling you thenthing but if you dig the tapes it's very interesting to discover the whole thing especially the backstories of the characters. The game makes you replay the shit you've done over and over but the mission designs are so good and aproaching the same situations with different tactics never gets old. And with all it's flaws i fucking LOVE this! I love the perfect stealth mechanics, i love roaming around with my horse, i love upgrading my base and i love feeling like a badass when i get shot done as the Snake. And yeah i loved that thing everyone hates at the end of the game. It made sense even though it could handled better. It's one of the best games of the current generation.

vaderise

Starting with MGS3 ruins the impact of MGS3. Why on earth would you start with that game?
Nope, MGS 3 is a great entry point to the series as it acts like a prequel. And after MGS 3 you can just jump to PW and MGS V and learn the story of Boss. I prefer skipping the MGS1 and just reading it's story from a wiki or youtube video since it has aged poorly and jump into MGS2 and after that MGS4 as the great finale. With playing this way you'll experience two distinct storylines and final game will merge two storylines perfectly.

RootCause

The best MGS game ever made. That's what it is. :3

But seriously, why did you start with it? Not only are you missing plot details, but you're jumping straight to the most mechanically sound game in the series. And while the older games have aged well, for the most part, there's a big drop off in quality.

Sorry you feel that way OP & others
If you played mgs previously OP, you'd be better prepared for the insanity lol

I love that prologue. It starts off with that cool Midge Ure Bowie cover, the mood is Stephen King-ish style Kojima, freaky as hell. You're hiding under gurneys, they're hunting you down. Plus the booty shots of Ismael. It's so tense, love the camera work and visuals (of the whole thing, not Ismael's booty).

The following scene in Chapter 1, I consider part of the prologue/intro, spoilers:
This hyped song plays. Then they pan through a map Indiana Jones style, Sins of the Father with strings is playing with the "Whoooooooooaaaah!" as they show the map going to Afghanistan.
Never in my life been so hyped to start a mission.

Too bad the presentation and pacing of the story was not as consistently engaging as that, otherwise it would be GOAT. MGS3 still tells the best story and is the best overall MGS3 IMO, but that beginning made me believe MGSV might top it.

All of the MGS intros and title introductions are so memorable to me, what gaming is all about.

Prologue was my favorite part of the game.

Same.

They might as well have just taken the post-prologue gameplay and put out a new batch of VR missions instead.

Honestly I can't think of a more disappointing game, even when I compare it to-let downs from previous generations.

Made me appreciate and love the first 4 games even more. V isn't even an MGS game imo. It's some weird book-end that doesn't have a place and shouldn't exist.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Same.

They might as well have just taken the post-prologue gameplay and put out a new batch of VR missions instead.

Honestly I can't think of a more disappointing game, even when I compare it to-let downs from previous generations.

Made me appreciate and love the first 4 games even more. V isn't even an MGS game imo. It's some weird book-end that doesn't have a place and shouldn't exist.

I can't tell whether this is parody or not. XD

Robot Pants

Nope, MGS 3 is a great entry point to the series as it acts like a prequel. And after MGS 3 you can just jump to PW and MGS V and learn the story of Boss. I prefer skipping the MGS1 and just reading it's story from a wiki or youtube video since it has aged poorly and jump into MGS2 and after that MGS4 as the great finale. With playing this way you'll experience two distinct storylines and final game will merge two storylines perfectly.
No no no. No one listen to this man if you have yet to jump into the series.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.

No no no no.

By skipping MGS1 you're literally robbing yourself of MGS2's meta-narrative and thus missing out a TON of Kojima's authorial intent.

Don't do this.

magnetic

I had zero experience with MGS before playing V and loved the weird atmosphere in the prologue. Being helpless with all that surreal stuff going on was really cool.

And the fake character creation was such a fantastic troll. I've known about a couple of those Kojima fourth wall breaking moments, but I loved this little humorous bit thrown into the serious beginning. Your surgeon being murdered before he can actually create your new face - brilliant.

Oh my fucking lord, no. If nothing else, OP - ignore this post. There's no solid in the title for a reason.

Because it's not about Solid Snake?

As for MGS V, it's definitely the most I've been disappointed with an MGS game after loving all the games previous, including 4. The core gameplay is so good, but it's ruined with constant slow helicopter trips, motherbase management and a complete lack of crazy bosses and cinematic set pieces. There's nothing else there to tie the gameplay together so it kind of falls apart and gets very repetitive a few hours in.

Top Bottom