• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: MGS V - WTF is this?!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
you're supposed to play ground zeroes first, at the very least

edit: that said, there is something undeniably strange and off-kilter about tpp's direction and narrative with many scenes which play out in a schizophrenic, almost lynchian manner. characters behaving abnormally - reacting to things they shouldn't, not reacting to things they should, bizarre moments of interaction and dialogue that doesn't quite make sense... tpp's story is littered with scenes that can feel unnatural, and not in a very 'metal gear' way. even ground zeroes didn't have this issue, and i think they were just trying to write the story in a way they weren't familiar with and it didn't quite pan out for them.

Z..

I havent played 5 yet, is it that bad compared to the rest?

1, 2, 3 and 5 can all be considered the best, depending on what you value. 4, MG2 and PW are tier 2, but still good. Everything else is unessential but most of it is ok.

HardRojo

The prologue is actually (in my opinion) one of the best things from the game. That shit got me so fucking hyped for the rest of the game, a shame the story didn't hold up, but man, the gameplay is glorious, it was definitely worth it just for that.

Z..

The prologue is actually (in my opinion) one of the best things from the game. That shit got me so fucking hyped for the rest of the game, a shame the story didn't hold up, but man, the gameplay is glorious, it was definitely worth it just for that.

It's modern "gaming" at it's absolute worst, imo. Great game, atrociously bad intro.

Ratrat

1. Why are you whining just after the prologue?
2. Why didn't you play GZ first like a sane person?
3. Why did you pick up the last game of a series with a 20 years legacy and expect to understand everything?

It's modern "gaming" at it's absolute worst, imo. Great game, atrociously bad intro.
I agree. I like the game, but the prologue was some cinematic and automated Naughy Dog shit and a huge chore to replay.

213372bu

Banned
That's surprising. MGSV is the best game for people who haven't played MGS. The original fans don't care that much for it though.

You mean the game that continues the story arc established through ~6 games, has scenes that only hold weight based on whether you've played previous games, and relies on you playing the specific PSP game that is canon?

Nope.

Lots of newcomers dropped out because it's absolute gibberish to people who haven't played the previous games.

Chola

Banned
Guys, never watched game of thrones, which season should I pick, how about I start with season 6. WTF why are there freaking dragons, this is so dumb

It's not, the gameplay is best in the series. But people hate it because of the lack luster story.

Just beat this the other day myself and wanted to do a LTTP but I can't make a thread yet. I think a lot of people were disappointed because the story didn't deliver in the way that people were expecting it to, which in itself I think is almost the essence of metal gear.

This game isn't as heavily story focused as the previous games in the series. Instead it is more focused on the stories you make on the battlefield which I thought was pretty cool. You're given this huge world and an extensive set of tools and told to create your own story. I know some people were disappointed with the way things finally played out and admittedly the story could have been done better but I really enjoyed it.

I like the idea of the cassette tapes but they weren't implemented very well. Instead I would have liked for ocelot to call you back to base and say "hey Boss, you got a minute?" And give you the option of a cutscene. If you tell him you don't have time he'd just say "no problem, I put all the info on this tape, listen to it when you have a minute". I just think a better balance could have been struck between actually playing and cutscenes. The obscenely long cutscenes are one of the things I love about this series and I would have liked some more of them.

As far as Snake essentially being a silent protagonist in this outing I understand why it was done.
We are playing a phantom after all, even though he's supposed to essentially be Big Boss, that's enough of an explanation for me right there.
I missed Hayter but I think Keifer did a fine job and would have liked to hear him a bit more before the final mission and the tapes that come with it.

From a story perspective this is probably the second worst game to start with behind MGS4. The prologue makes zero sense if you have no context but with the context I really enjoyed that mission and thought it was a great way to get things going. As far as story goes this is my second favorite in the series behind Snake Eater. OP you should watch a lets play of Ground Zeroes before you continue imo. Story spoilers below

i had no problem with the meta narrative taking precedence over the game narrative. I liked that I'm Big Boss without actually being Big Boss. I really liked Kojima letting the fans know that MGS is something we've built together and we're all Big Boss. I think that the story of Big Boss' fall was told in Ground Zeroes. When he wakes up he pretty much does to Venom what America did to The Boss, showing us the completion of his arc. Mother base being destroyed was the final straw. I enjoyed building mother base into what would become outer heaven.

i do think the story could have been presented better, most of the main missions could have been relegated to side missions and they should have kept mission 51, then continued on to the final confrontation with solid snake. It would have been awesome to fight solid in his prime. I also would have liked to see more of Ocelot being the crazy ass goof he is. He should have been a buddy. Could have used him to make fake calls from the soviet cp to get soldiers to move/stand down/etc and he certainly would be helpful in a fire fight. Would also have liked to be able to deploy as Ocelot or Big Boss after completing the final mission but whatev.

All in all I think this is my second favorite MGS game behind Snake Eater. OP this game has the best gameplay in the series and plays better than pretty much any other game, so from that perspective it's a great entry to jump in. However from a story perspective you should have started with MGS 3.

SMG

The rest of the game doesn't play that way, but it never gets less dumb. It's a Kojima game.
Amazing gameplay, though. Some of the best.
(Just after the prologue)

Whatever special spice the term "A Kojima Game" invokes is near absent from V.
Every character is a chore to watch, it doesn't have the fun campiness underlining it.

If only MGSV have a story presentation like in MGS3, that would be my GOAT for sure.

This 10000%. Even if they had just rearranged some of the missions and placed some of the main ops into important side ops that would have helped the pacing enough to put it on par with MGS3 I think.

HardRojo

I know and I'm glad the rest of the game wasn't like that, but for some reason I loved it, though I guess I would have gotten the same reaction had it been a cutscene, so I can see why some people hate it.

WetWaffle

60% done, not sure how much more I can take. It was so fun in the beginning, but now I can't even do the side ops because they never change, too bored to replay missions(because you can only play a mission differently so many times until you get sick of it). The only thing that gives me joy anymore is putting on an infinity bandana and just traveling aimlessly in Afghanistan or developing weapons I'll never use(gives me a sense of completion). Coupled with a disappointing, mismarketed, incomplete story that's useless in the end, Mgs5 is truly a unique game:
First 10 hours - "Holy shit, the gameplay is incredible! Best stealth game ever!
30 hours+ - "There's a whole nother CHAPTER?! Cool beans! *Opens iDroid* Oh...
60 hours+ - "Was I drunk when I bought this?..."

Hypron

True it's definitely even more linear than the others... MGS 1 and 2 had great balance. That said, I actually think the TPP prologue and MGS 3 prologue are pretty similar in terms of player control.

I've replayed MGS 3 twice now since MGS V (and I've done the intro god knows how many times lol
for the S++ soldiers bonus for replaying it
). And the first hour of MGS 3 is actually pretty similar in terms of how much gameplay you really get. I mean, very different themes and mood but the first hour (maybe even hour and a half) of MGS 3 is basically just cutscenes and codec calls. You get maybe 3 minutes of gameplay going to the house through the small swamp and across the bridge, and then maybe 5 minutes to infiltrate the house.

It gives you a much better gameplay representative 'sample' than MGS V's prologue, which is a big distinction... the few minutes of gameplay represent the broader game (e.g. shooting the beehive; eating a croc), whereas TPP's is just like a on-rails game that has zero to do with the TPP gameplay. So the 'type' of gameplay is much better. But the 'amount' is similar IMO... You probably control the character just as little as the TPP prologue. Maybe 10 minutes, 15 minutes tops, for the first 90 minutes of MGS3. It's basically just cutscenes and codecs.

Which isn't bad per se because it's still an awesome prologue. MGS3 in general is the GOAT action-story game IMO. One of the best prologues around, and basically the best 'action movie final act' (the last 2 hours or so) in a game. So in general, it does no wrong in my eyes.

I just meant, even as a MGS 3 fan, sometimes I forget how little gameplay the first 1-2 hours of MGS3 has, and TPP isn't all that unlike it. Different themes and type of gameplay, but a similar amount of time spent not really playing the game.

On PS2 (though I forgot to do so on the PS3 collection) I even kept a save file usually right after the first Ocelot/EVA encounter exactly because when I wanted Snake Eater gameplay, I didn't want to have to deal with the first two hours again.

It's true that in terms of playable time both games' intros are probably quite similar. However, the main difference (and what makes MGSV's intro frustrating for me), is the fact that in MGS3 you are in complete control of your character during gameplay sequences; you have time to play around with the game's mechanics and you can go at your own pace. When there's a cinematic or a codec call, you can just kick back and listen to it, or simply skip it if you're not interested.

On the other hand, MGSV's intro is holding your hand the entire way through and you only briefly gain full control of your character towards the end of it. You spend probably 75% of it holding forward and intermittently stopping to avoid getting spotted (and you're even told when to do so). There's pretty much no interesting gameplay, close to no room for experimenting with the mechanics. On top of that, since gameplay and cinematics are so intertwined, you can't kick back, you can't skip that boring stuff.

I agree. I like the game, but the prologue was some cinematic and automated Naughy Dog shit and a huge chore to replay.

Hey now, ND's games are a lot better executed than that and have a better sense of pacing.

1. Why are you whining just after the prologue?
2. Why didn't you play GZ first like a sane person?
3. Why did you pick up the last game of a series with a 20 years legacy and expect to understand everything?

Uncharted definitely doesn't do that, but uh nice misinformed troll post I guess

SJRB

Gold Member
Well OP, your error in judgement is picking up a game called MGS V and expect to understand everything that's happening.

MGS3, Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes are pretty much essential for understanding MGSV's setup and premise, "plot" [lol] and many of the characters. There are also heavy tie-ins to events in MGS, MGS2 and MGS4, so for the full context those are required too. And of course Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 for the MSX.

That said, MGSV's intro is bizarre in many ways. Many things will be explained down the line in a way which may or may not be satisfactionary whatsoever.

MGSV has extremely good gameplay, but is void of pretty much everything else that makes a MGS game. So ultimately as someone with zero understanding of the narrative it's best to just enjoy the missions for what they are and ignore "all" [lol] of the story.

Ratrat

Hey now, ND's games are a lot better executed than that and have a better sense of pacing.

Uncharted definitely doesn't do that, but uh nice misinformed troll post I guess
Nah, its the same shit. Limp around here, trip over that box and watch that explosion trigger. Actually U4's opening hours might be even worse. You just bumb into a bunch of speed boats before being treated to an exciting crate searching scuba diving section!

MGSV has extremely good gameplay, but is void of pretty much everything else that makes a MGS game. .

I've never understood this stance.

MGSV has that crazy attention to detail, the goofy humor, real serious political/military intrigue mixed with anime nonsense, overly long exposition dumps, .etc.

What exactly is missing that makes it an MGS game? Is it just the long cinematics? I think there is so much more in defining a Metal Gear game besides the movie elements. There was never a moment in this game that made me feel like I was playing something completely different. It has Kojima's finger prints all over it.

Roussow

I quite like the prologue, I don't mind the slow pace, nor the crawling / walking (although I do wish it wasn't as on rails as it is). The thing is, most of us who really got into MGSV despised the prologue by the end of our time with the game because to S-Rank and complete all of the objectives you had to replay the damn thing like 5 or 6 times.

Nah, its the same shit. Limp around here, trip over that box and watch that explosion trigger. Actually U4's opening hours might be even worse. You just bumb into a bunch of speed boats before being treated to an exciting crate searching scuba diving section!

That's really reductive, like crazy reductive.

I just finished this the other day, so i have to warn you watch out for that ending......no seriously watch out or you'll miss it and get confused!

Seriously i loved a lot of this game but its unfinished it needs a Mass Effect 3 ending DLC so bad

JayBabay

Wow I thought the prologue was amazing. Totally blew me away the first time I saw it and really set the mood for me going forward. I thought it felt very MGS.

60% done, not sure how much more I can take. It was so fun in the beginning, but now I can't even do the side ops because they never change, too bored to replay missions(because you can only play a mission differently so many times until you get sick of it). The only thing that gives me joy anymore is putting on an infinity bandana and just traveling aimlessly in Afghanistan or developing weapons I'll never use(gives me a sense of completion). Coupled with a disappointing, mismarketed, incomplete story that's useless in the end, Mgs5 is truly a unique game:
First 10 hours - "Holy shit, the gameplay is incredible! Best stealth game ever!
30 hours+ - "There's a whole nother CHAPTER?! Cool beans! *Opens iDroid* Oh...
60 hours+ - "Was I drunk when I bought this?..."
This is me right now too. I absolutely loved first 20 hours, was somewhat fed with the game by the end of Chapter 1, and now I just want to finally beat last 10 missions and move on. The game has amazing potential, but it's all just wasted. The underlying concepts are interesting, but they are underutilized, some events should be rewritten and rearranged. The game feels really big and really small at the same time.

Playing any of the previous games is really not necessary for MGSV because the plot in that game barely matters and there are so many retcons, inconsistencies and whatnot, that really, who gives a fuck at that point.

MGSV is also a very different kind of game. A sort of experimental sandbox open world action sneaking game with lots of repeat content while the older games for PS1 and PS2 were straight up action adventures with some sneaking on top, where you constantly look for items and weapons to unlock new places, backtrack and solve puzzles while evading the enemy and sometimes fighting bosses. Some light Metroidvania elements actually. (The very first 8-bit games were basically just military-themed Zelda games.)

Best MGS gameplay, worst MGS story.

Hope you're not playing online OP, the updates have completely ruined the game with all the F2P nonsense and online resource storage.

Konami you sicken me.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I think I gave up at chapter 43 or something.
Gameplay is Metal Gear, but like all games that go a different direction, it's lacks everything that makes MGS good and the old formula was better.
Lucky it still has it's identity as a MGS game in its core gameplay but just like RE7 will be
It's a poor game for the series and sacrifices everything that makes it what it is for a current saturated tend and critic feedback to make a doll and uninspired entry in a otherwise great series.
Some cutsscenes mission focus and boss battles and more talkative Boss would have gone a long way.

Biltmore

Banned
MGSV is like the RE4 of Metal Gear games. It's a really good game but it strays so far that it's disappointing as a follow up to a series of games you love.

Nzyme32

Kojima, or whoever does the story and dialogue, is terrible. It is always filled with ridiculous cliché, the most pathetic dialogue and the stupid fucking leering camera direction for women. If you can get your brain past that, the rest of the games are stellar.

I often wonder if the reason for the shitty dialogue and weird intonations is due to some sort of direct translation from Japanese. It's also incredibly frustrating to see dialogue constructed in the same format all the time, as well as exposition put out in the most pathetic predictable and detached way possible all the time.

Thankfully the game itself is fantastic, although I've been warned to simply not bother with the second chapter / episode of the game which is a mess and incomplete.

Play Metal Gear Solid 3 after V. You will enjoy it much more.

MGSV is about gameplay. Once you reach Afghanistan, you will find the truly core of the gameplay mechanics.

On the other hand, every character in The Phantom Pain is poorly written: one of the worst main characters I've seen in my life. Jesus.

MGSV is like the RE4 of Metal Gear games. It's a really good game but it strays so far that it's disappointing as a follow up to a series of games you love.

RE4 has the level and encounter design, pacing and content to really let it's mechanics shine. MGSV has a barren, open map and tons of repeating side and main missions in the same area, I guess. The pacing completly falls apart after the first chapter too, and it's filled with lots of fluff.

I remember people hyping the intro so much during launch. "Kojima is a genius" "OMG" "So cinematic" "GOAT intro." When I finally played it all I could do is roll my eyes. It was definitely a Mind Fuck and not in a positive way.

In the end the game turned out to be one of the best games of the generation, but that intro is unforgivable.

The opening loses its novelty real fast, but man, fire whale is great.

MGSV was my first Metal Gear, too. I really enjoyed the gameplay and polish. Story didn't phase me much, predictably.

JMY86

MGS V has fantastic gameplay but unfortunately the story and the incredibly tedious revisiting of the same areas really drag down the rest of the game.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I havent played 5 yet, is it that bad compared to the rest?

Nah, it's different from most of them though. More like PW in its pick up and play structure.

Gameplay is sublime and smooth as fuck. Hand's down the best moment-to-moment gameplay in the series.

Missions are contentious. They are basically 'here's a thing to do' and the rest is left up to you. As the game progresses and you upgrade stuff, you get a shit ton of options with which to complete them, so unless you're min-maxing you're only limited by your imagination and tool kit.

Problems are the lack of trademark boss battles, the story is poorly paced, and the ending is arguably unearned (although still very MGS).

My only advice for approaching this game is sip for best results, rather than quaff it down. It's absolutely huge and you can easily burn out on it.

Arnie7

Banned
Recently I got my hands on a cheap copy of MGS V. My first Metal Gear. I expected some kind of serious espionage stealth game with some comedy elements , since I knew about side kicks like the carton box.

After playing the prologue, my only reaction was, what the f did I just watch and "play"?

Seriously, it is like someone threw all cliche actions things together and made a bad b-movie out of it. The music is great, the camera directing is great, but everything else? Why are the soldiers that dumb? Why do they stop the execution right before shooting the main character and his buddy? It is ridiculously designed in my opinion, not serious at all. On top of that there is this fire demon which does not fit into my expectations at all. And why is this so long with so little control? Why am I forced to crawl for like 10 minutes until I finally get up "magically" because my meds kick in like instantly after being nearly disabled.

And why the hell did I create a character to throw it away immediately?!

Is the prologue only enjoyable for MGS veterans? Will it be explained soon or do I have to complete the game for it?

Actually the beginning upset me so much that I finally googled what exactly LTTP means and decided this would be appropriate as first topic of this kind lol

Go play Metal Gear Solid 3. MGS5 is awful place to start the series.

ActWan

Why exactly was it your first MGS? Poor desicion IMO, not just because it's really different than the rest (so it's not a good entry point to the franchise), but because it's the fifth game of a plot centered franchise. How did you get to that?
Anyway try to keep playing and maybe you'll like it for the great gameplay it offers.

Top Bottom