• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Nintendo 2DS

RK128

Hello everyone :). For a long time, I've been out of the Nintendo loop; not owning a Wii U and 3DS made me miss out on many great Nintendo games. When Smash Bros. U came out recently, I couldn't help but really want that....but between the game, the GC adapter and a Wii U, it was just too much money :(.

So, I looked into a 3DS system, considering it was cheaper and had a larger library of Nintendo software (Pokemon X and Y, Omega Ruby and Alpha Satfire, Zelda Link Between Worlds, FE: Awakening, KH3D, ect). I looked into a number of reviews and based on those alongside my experiences playing the 3DS game local GameStops....it just felt way to uncofterable to use :(. The sharp edges of the shoulder buttons and the 3D bothering me a lot (it mostly was just fuzzy :(; the only game that really worked well with it to me was Kirby Triple Deluxe), made me find the 3DS XL not for me.

But I remembered about a system called the 2DS; much cheaper than a normal 3DS and it looked more conferatable to use too (its look reminded me a lot of a Game Boy). Then I found out about a 100$ dollar version of the system; the see-through Cyrstal models. Between the cheap price and it looking quite cool (I love how it looks like a Game Boy Color :D), I traded in games and money my family was nice enough to give me over thanksgiving to get these :D.

5MDjRVq.jpg

cUqwdjQ.jpg

I fell in love with the system after playing it for a week now :D. The system has to be the most conferrable handheld next to the Game Boy Advance SP and the way the Circle Pad/Buttons are placed (not to mention the huge but excellent triggers) makes playing games a treat on the system.

The game I played the most was of course Smash Bros and I love how the game plays. It feels like a great mix between Project M and Brawl...and that is all I can ask for in a Smash Bros game :'). The new characters are great to use (my favorites have to be Little Mac and Pac-Man), the Smash Run mode is okay and the new Classic Mode is really replayable (the multiple paths you can take make many runs of it fun :)). Even the online is solid in the 3DS game, really surprising considering how bad Brawl's online was.

I didn't play just Smash Bros though, as I got a few demos and a GB game via Club Nintendo (290 points from all the Nintendo games I never registered + the 2DS and Smash). I got demos of the following:

-KH: Dream Drop Distance
-Mario and Luigi Dream Team
-Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal
-Sonic Lost World
-Nano Assault Neo
-FE: Awakening
-Bravely Defalt
-Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion

Most of them are quite fun; KH 3D has a great combat system that really encourages consistent movement (a great shake-up from the systems used in Re:Coded), M&L is as great as expected :D, Sonic Boom is a lot better then critics give it credit for (though it isn't anything that special :l), Lost World is a lot of fun, FE was really great (didn't know that I was decent-ish at SRPG games), BD is good so far (man it is a huge demo) and EM just pissed me off (great core gameplay but ruined by really forced usage of the painting mechanics).

I got Metroid 2 with the NC points I had (and may get the Kirby Pinball game latter....still debating whenever or not to save my points or not) and it is good so far :).

Overall, I love my 2DS and am so happy to be part of the Nintendo circle once more :D.

When the holidays come, I have a few ideas of what to get next (either some cheap DS games, some eshop credit for Shovel Knight, Shante and some VC games), or a big 3DS game (one of the Pokemon tittles or Dream Team; something with tons of content).

If you guys have some recommendations, feel free to tell them :D. If Gaf proved me anything is that you guys give great suggestions :D; Vita Gaf is the reason I own almost 180+ Vita games XD!

Super Mario 3D Land
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Buy these and have fun!

RK128

Super Mario 3D Land

Buy these and have fun!

Will consider the bolded :D; really enjoyed LtTP and the FE demo, so I should enjoy those games :). KI may just brake my Circle Pad and its controls may fustrate me (who knows, I did have a blast with SF: Command on my DS years ago :D). Never played a AC before, so I may find out more about that before picking that up.

Mario 3D Land does seem like a ton of fun though (loved the Galaxy games :D), so maybe I might check that out too.

EhoaVash

i didn't have a 3DS, so i used a 2DS and what a piece of crap device it is

awful screen awful L and R that feel like i'm not even clicking it at all
the screen gets really dirty often cause of no shell.

overall its very cheap made and i got it cause it was cheap lol but i kinda wish i didn't. smash 3DS sucked on it very hard too. worst experience is to play kid icarus uprising on it. what a awful time that was -_-

OraleeWey

The Crystal red/blue 2DS were made to go with ORAS because the original GBA games were also see through Crystal red/blue.

HUELEN10

i didn't have a 3DS, so i used a 2DS and what a piece of crap device it is

awful screen awful L and R that feel like i'm not even clicking it at all
the screen gets really dirty often cause of no shell.

overall its very cheap made and i got it cause it was cheap lol but i kinda wish i didn't. smash 3DS sucked on it very hard too. worst experience is to play kid icarus uprising on it. what a awful time that was -_-
No offense, but you probably don't care for the system well enough; mine is months old and is spotless, comfy, and the shoulders work just fine.

RK128

The Crystal red/blue 2DS were made to go with ORAS because the original GBA games were also see through Crystal red/blue.

That makes sense :); I do still have the original games and they are see through too (same with Fire Red/Leaf Green; the games had red/green colored carts).

Kid Icarus Uprising and Luigi's Mansion 2 are among my favourite handheld games.

Get the Ace Attorney Collection next week, 3 of the best Adventure/ VN games for 10 bucks each.

Flappy

Banned
I like the solid feel of the 2DS. It's better for my large hands too, thanks to the controls being half-way up the console.

Anyone who has a handheld system and no grip is just wrong. That aside, the 2DS is definitely the comfiest thing ever, even if everything else is crap as hell on it.

RK128

FE:Awakening, SMTIV, and Persona Q are my recommendations. Best games on the system.

I loved Persona 3 and 4, so that is on the top of my must-get list for my 2DS :D. Is the game welcoming enough though? Never played the EO games in the past, so I have no idea if I will enjoy the core gameplay of Persona Q; I will enjoy the story....but I have no idea if the game will 'click' with me with its gameplay :(. Thanks for the recommendations though :D.

RK128

Shovel Knight is a pretty safe bet off eShop

Another game I plan on getting (the e-shop is filled with indie games I don't have on Vita; Shante, Mighty Switch Force and that), so will get that this holiday :D. Love how it looks like a mix of Mega Man and DuckTails (a killer mix of gameplay right there :)).

HUELEN10

Something not mentioned is storage. Get yourself a nice large capacity Micro SD card; make sure it's a Micro SD, that way to move to New Nintendo 3DS, should you choose to engage in it, will be absolutely seamless.

Even better if it is class 10, and remember to use the OFFICIAL formatter for best results. This is the official SD Card association tool that Nintendo endorses.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Super Mario 3D Land

Buy these and have fun!

This guy. this guy knows what's up

i'd recommend Donkey Kong Country Returns, though not as good as Tropical Freeze on the Wii U is still a fantastic game

also Mario Kart 7! the addiction of those online races are real. Spent waaaay too much time online in that game

RK128

Thank you all for the great suggestions :D. Much of the Nintendo games you all have been mentioning are defently going to be bought down the line (M&L, Smash Bros, and many others were part of the reason I got a 2DS to being with). Pokemon and some E-Shop games are going to be the next batch of games I will get :).

Regarding storage and upgrading to a New 3DS.....I don't see the need for either :l. The former is already solid (as my 2DS game with a 4GB card; plenty of space for just E-Shop and VC games). The latter isn't really worth it :l. I mean, the only game so far announced for N3DS is Xenoblade and... well, I can just fine a way to get the Wii version of that (it will look better, run better and will have more buttons to work with via Classic Controller).

Either way, thank you guys so much for the advice and I will have a blast playing those games whenever I get them :).

If you want some lower priced gems, take a look see on the used market and look for the following:

Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy
Shinobi 3D
Ghost Recon Shadow Wars

All can be had for under $10 and each have plenty of content to offer.

Definitely hop on those $20 KMart priced games while you can!

RK128

Or just a content person with normal hands

Either way, enjoy that library OP. So many standout third party titles.

Thank you :). That is what makes owning a Vita and 3DS so great; you get an amazing mix of game types and tittles to play through owning both :D. Now I can catch up on a lot of Nintendo games that I missed out on the past few years.

My plan is one of three things regarding getting games for the 2DS:
1) Get an 40-50 Dollar E-Shop card and get a lot of E-Shop games and VC tittles (Shante GBC, Shovel Knight, Zelda: Links Awakening, ect)
2) One of the Pokemon 3DS games (debating whenever it is going to be X/Y or OR/AS...the former has a ton of new Pokemon to collect while the latter seems to be a nice improvement over the original Ruby/Satfire).
3) A few DS tittles I missed out on (Mario and Luigi: Bowsers Inside Story, Sonic Colors and maybe something else; GameStop has 30% off used DS games :)).

hunnies28

Bought a used 2DS for my GF niece as a gift. Tried it out for a few hours. Thing is confortable as fuck. Almost wanted to keep it.

Rich!

I was going to buy a 2DS this year, but then I bought this:

inFZKoaEzt7Wq.JPG

I still kinda want a 2DS, but I honestly don't think I can ever go back now.

Thank you :). That is what makes owning a Vita and 3DS so great; you get an amazing mix of game types and tittles to play through owning both :D. Now I can catch up on a lot of Nintendo games that I missed out on the past few years.

My plan is one of three things regarding getting games for the 2DS:
1) Get an 40-50 Dollar E-Shop card and get a lot of E-Shop games and VC tittles (Shante GBC, Shovel Knight, Zelda: Links Awakening, ect)
2) One of the Pokemon 3DS games (debating whenever it is going to be X/Y or OR/AS...the former has a ton of new Pokemon to collect while the latter seems to be a nice improvement over the original Ruby/Satfire).
3) A few DS tittles I missed out on (Mario and Luigi: Bowsers Inside Story, Sonic Colors and maybe something else; GameStop has 30% off used DS games :)).

Kudos on the eShop voucher! For all the shit people give Nintendo for digital, some absolutely fantastic download-only titles available for the 3DS. Here's a reccommendation I never regret giving; if you even have a slight interest in puzzle games, get Pushmo/Pullblox. It's gaming cocaine.

rdaneel72

I also enjoy my 2DS. Can play it for hours, and the lousy battery dies long before my hands cramp up. Definately get a case for it to spare the screens.

If you're looking for a game with tons of content, don't overlook Fantasy Life. Might not be for everyone, but I am loving it.

RK128

Kudos on the eShop voucher! For all the shit people give Nintendo for digital, some absolutely fantastic download-only titles available for the 3DS. Here's a reccommendation I never regret giving; if you even have a slight interest in puzzle games, get Pushmo/Pullblox. It's gaming cocaine.

No problem :D. Nintendo while one step backward digital game wise (accounts tied to systems and not just accounts is a bit odd :l), took some smart steps foward with the E-Shop across Wii U and 3DS in my eyes :).

Like the Vita's digital library, the 3DS's library is really impressive :). Similar to the Vita, the 3DS functions like multiple systems:
-DS
-DSi (Via DSi Ware)
-Digital E-Shop tittles (Indie games)
-GB (VC)
-NES (VC)
-Game Gear (VC)
-3D Classics
-3DS Retail tittles

It is great to be able to access lots of other consoles via the 3DS :). I can finally play Shovel Knight and the Shante series thanks to now owning a 3DS :D.

RK128

Hello everyone :D.

Sorry to bump this thread, but I have a question: what is the best option in terms of getting 3DS games?

I mean, I listed three possible options before in this thread:
- Getting E-Shop Credit and getting a few games from there
- Getting on of the big games like Pokemon
- Getting used DS games

But regarding the first option, I don't have much of an idea what to get using that :l.

I mean, I know there are great games on the E-shop itself (much of WayFowards tittles, ect) and many VC games, but considering Shovel Knight is coming to Vita in the future, that is one game off that list :l (I own a Vita and love its D-Pad...so I'll get the game on that :)).

With the VC games, I am completely lost on what is on there X(. I know there are a lot of VC games for 3DS, but considering their are so many of them, I don't know which ones to get first.

I am considering getting 20 bucks in E-Shop points and picked two games to use it with (Mighty Gunvolt and Shate GBC), only leaving 5 bucks left to spend.

Out of these games, which one do you guys think is the best options?
- Any of the Wario Land tittles
- Mega Man 3-6 (own MM 2 on my Wii)
- Mario Land 2
- Donkey Kong '94
- One of the GB/GBC Zeldas

Any suggestions would be nice :D.

Edit: I finally made up my mind on what to do :).

I am getting Zelda Link Between Worlds and Pokemon X/Y at K-Mart (dat sale man :D!), alongside either Mario 3D Land, Kirby Triple Deluxe or Mario and Luigi Dream Team. Depending on which they have in stock, I will get what is there (as all three are amazing games :)). Thank you all for great suggestions and I am really happy to be part of the Nintendo bubble again :D.

Top Bottom