• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Steins;Gate ~ The tears fell—but not for the reasons I expected (SPOILERS/Pics)

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Great LTTP, since you didn't mention it in your write up, did you missed the scenes that explained why Nae is a psycho?

Excellent post. I actually just finished Steins;Gate 0 the other day, which is a game about the Okabe that sends the Dmail to Steins;Gate Okabe at the very end of the game, the one about fooling the world into believing Kurisu is dead.

S;G0 is also fucking incredible.

Verelios

Excellent post. I actually just finished Steins;Gate 0 the other day, which is a game about the Okabe that sends the Dmail to Steins;Gate Okabe at the very end of the game, the one about fooling the world into believing Kurisu is dead.

...Yo.

Yo. Not cool man.

xzeldax3

I recently got my platinum and I loved your write-up! It captured many of my sentiments.

I played this after watching the anime so the game didn't have as much impact until the various endings started appearing. They totally added to the characaters in ways the anime didn't though.

I can't believe it's been 6 years since the original game came out. I never thought it would get an official localization.

Bittercup

Is this a good for someone's very first VN?
Yes but be prepared that the game is pretty much just reading and it for the most parts doesn't have traditional choices or gameplay. If this is fine for you then Steins;Gate is a great first VN.
For example the zero escape games have actual puzzles you have to solve and you make regularly decisions how you want to continue which then sets the path the game takes which makes it a bit more adventure-like.
If you play Steins;Gate avoid using a guide the first time and when you get your first ending, just load your last save and continue without a guide. Only the true ending requires a guide but that's something I would do much later.

Sora_N

I recently got my platinum and I loved your write-up! It captured many of my sentiments.

I played this after watching the anime so the game didn't have as much impact until the various endings started appearing. They totally added to the characaters in ways the anime didn't though.

I can't believe it's been 6 years since the original game came out. I never thought it would get an official localization.

The anime was only decent now that I look back. Game is GOAT

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Great OP. I was in your shoes a few months ago, I picked it up in September and found the intro slow going. I would've given up multiple times if I didn't have several people convincing me to stick with it...and I'm super glad I did. Best game I played this year.

Been slowly going through the anime now. As mentioned previously, the dub is excellent. It's a little more localized, in that it changes some of the dialogue to more closely match English net speak terms, but it works really well. The guy who did Okabe pulls off a similarly excellent faux-theatrical performance, and Daru's much more likable because he gets some really good one liners. Mayuri isn't quite as air-headed sounding either. Conversely Kurisu's actress is good but since they've cut down on some of the long winded science speak, it's mostly her tsundere side that's shown through, at least the point where I'm at (ep 7 or so, after Luka's change).

Steins;Gate 0 just came out a few weeks ago and what little I've heard suggests that it's really damn good. Eagerly awaiting a localization announcement.

daveo42

Banned
I apologize in advance for not reading your entire OP, because I know the feels that come with this game. I teared up just looking at some the screenshots and glancing at the moments from the 2nd half of the game. The story...is just so good. I even knew the story before playing this game thanks to the anime, and the VN was still so much better.

It engrossed me. It made me laugh. It made me cry. By the end, I felt joy. Glad you were able to play it.

Mugen08

Great post! Steins;Gate was my GOTY2014 and will remain one of my favorite sci-fi stories of all time. Hope Zero can deliver some more magic but I don't think the creators can top the original Steins;Gate.

Kurisu is one of the strongest female characters in games I think. Some unnecessary tropes and sadly felt a bit dumbed down/more like love interest in the anime version due to cut content. Otherwise I like the genious, in my mind the true hero of the story.

syncyes

I played Steins;Gate right after I played Ever17. It was supposed to be another sci-fi epic, so I actually took Okabe seriously in the beginning, when he was all over dramatic, haha.

I struggled through the first part of Steins;Gate. Fell asleep while playing it and everything. Took me about four days to get through it.

Then I blasted through every ending in two days. The plot ramps up SO hard, I love it.

Sora_N

Great post! Steins;Gate was my GOTY2014 and will remain one of my favorite sci-fi stories of all time. Hope Zero can deliver some more magic but I don't think the creators can top the original Steins;Gate.

Kurisu is one of the strongest female characters in games I think. Some unnecessary tropes and sadly felt a bit dumbed down/more like love interest in the anime version due to cut content. Otherwise I like the genious, in my mind the true hero of the story.

Best tsundere genius pervert girl

Steins;Gate 0 is intended to be a "proper" sequel (well, interquel) but all the other ones are better seen as spinoffs at best, as I understand it.

I believe the reference was to the entire Science Adventure series, though opinions are divided on which entry is the best (especially after Chaos;Child came out).

For those who don't know, the main series (the most updated versions in release order) consists of Chaos;Head Noah, Steins;Gate, Robotics;Notes Elite, Chaos;Child, and Steins;Gate 0. There are a number of references to Chaos;Head in Steins;Gate, and I hear that Steins;Gate 0 references all of the previous games in the series. They generally have different character casts, but they are all set in the same world.

BTA

For some reason I clicked into this thread (I literally don't know why I did this to myself) and saw
an image indicating, I think, that... Suzuha is Daru's daughter?
. There's no one I can blame but myself for not being awake enough to realize "no, don't click that", but ouch. I'm probably pretty close to where that knowledge would drop anyway, but given how almost completely unspoiled I've been... good job, me.

Sora_N

For some reason I clicked into this thread (I literally don't know why I did this to myself) and saw
. There's no one I can blame but myself for not being awake enough to realize "no, don't click that", but ouch. I'm probably pretty close to where that knowledge would drop anyway, but given how almost completely unspoiled I've been... good job, me.

It's OK that's a really minor spoiler tbqh.

I believe the reference was to the entire Science Adventure series, though opinions are divided on which entry is the best (especially after Chaos;Child came out).

Oh. Yeah, that's extremely disappointing. I keep hoping Chaos;Head will get an English release now since there are a few good venues to do it, but so far nothing.

Oh. Yeah, that's extremely disappointing. I keep hoping Chaos;Head will get an English release now since there are a few good venues to do it, but so far nothing.

There were some teases earlier in the year pointing to Chaos;Head Noah and PQube (publisher of S;G PS3/Vita) has hinted that they are doing more Science Adventure games, so there's hope.

What a LTTP thread...

I must say , you managed to perfectly nail , why steinsgate is the VN that took everyone by surprise.
Okabe as a MC actually mimic how you're supposed to feel at specific moments of the game.
And it's glorious

And yeah ..You can't have the STRONG moments in steins gate , without all the blanter in the first part , every scene before the first WTF was made so you could feel the ride of the second part .. the best 3 weeks of a mad scientist..

There is so many things steingate did right , i can forgive the small thing the game did wrong.
WHAT a GAME.

Steins;Gate was amazing.

I stopped everything this summer to make my play through happen, and it was so worth it.

Well done write up! Brings me right back!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
WATCH THE MOVIE

Actually you should probably just watch the anime for a refresher, and there's a bonus OVA at the end that's an epilogue to the game, that takes place after the true ending of the game.

And then, after watching that OVA

WATCH THE MOVIE

I am not a man who cries when I am sad or emotional. Not even when a family member dies. What happens instead is that I get this grasping feeling in my throat. It is extremely rare for any piece of media to legitimately pull that feeling in my throat. In fact, I can think of only two pieces of media off the top of my head that have made me so emotional that they have done so.

And one of those is the Steins;Gate movie.

And it did it basically throughout the entire course of the film.

You have to see it.

WATCH THE MOVIE

iVzDbJY.jpg

Bittercup

I like the movie and think it's fine, especially if you want to fill the void after finishing the game and missing the characters but the OVA is horrible. On its own it wouldn't be so bad. Just a silly bonus episode full of goofy moments but right after the true ending it feels completely out of place and too big of a shift in tone.
I would just read a summary and then skip right to the movie.

Going to have to agree on the OVA. It feels completely out of place and touch after finishing the anime series adaptation of the game.

Movie was for all intents and purposes quite fine though.

Sadist

Completed the game in november, it was glorious.

The first ending did send chills down my spine. I mean, the whole ponderimg rape thing and thinking about using the time machine to undo it, aw man. I think it was one of the few times where I was disgusted by the main character. I was like dude come on, don't be like that! I wasn't yelling at the screen, but I almost did. Luckily he snapped out of it.

But the many deaths of Mayushi ;_; my heart

Tuturuuuuuuu

The real ending of the game is amazingly sweet.

Andrefpvs

It was like playing the game all over again! XD God I love this VN and you pretty much hit most of what I thought while I was playing it too. A bit long in the tooth at first but then SHIT GETS REAL!!

Cool! Yeah! Son of a bitch!!

El Psy Kongroo!
That's a fantastic opening post!
And I feel the same. Always heard good things about the game, finally played it when it was released on Vita and it ended up as my game of the year.
I love this game so much. The characters and the story with all its twists are just so good.

Thank you! I'm glad you guys share my experience :)

Holy fuck dude you wrote the whole story in your OPs wit such great detail. That's what this game deserve.

I just finished the plat a few days ago.

I miss that world so much I'm listening to the radio dramas haha.

My GOTY and one of the only games I finished this year.

I also started looking at time travel articles.

EDIT: if you think back about how you actually get the true ending its really I interesting how the conversations that lead up to it are like.

Thanks! About the true ending, are you talking about the conversations about Kurisu's father? If so, I agree. I was even more shocked to see how Nakabachi's inferiority complex was more than a simple tantrum, but something that made him attempt murdering his own daughter. Holy Upa, dude.

Whoops, there are some endings I didn't saw yet, so I better get off this train!

But just to let you know: I think this game is amazing, and definitely worth it! :)

Awesome! Make sure you come back if you want to talk about the endings :)

Great OP! When I read the thread title I thought the game brought tears to your eyes because of how bad it is or something. I'm glad I was wrong.

I only watched the anime and I LOVE it. 9/10 in my book. I plan on playing the VN someday (if my backlog allows it).

I remember my reaction in the anime when Mayuri died the first time. I couldn't believe it.
The fact that deaths didn't matter at some point is also a thing I noticed when Mr. Braun killed himself. There was a scene where Okabe told Kurisu how deaths didn't matter to him anymore and how he sometimes tried things out just to see how Mayuri would die this time. That scene crushed me.

Now I want to play the VN O_O

Now I want to watch the anime O_O Stupid holidays, lol.

And thank you! I hope you enjoy the VN.

Great OP. Fantastic game. Definitely my GOTY.

I was the same, went in with minimal expectations and just enough knowledge to justify my purchase, and I was absolutely floored.

I don't recall ever being as hooked on a narrative as much as this. I had the Vita version and was playing after waking up, whilst eating my breakfast, on the bus to work, the 20 minutes I had before my shift started, on my breaks, during my lunch, on the bus home and during the evening pretty much from when I started to when I got the true ending. I had to apologise to my girlfriend for the duration of my infatuation with this game! Dark days indeed.

The emotions hit me like a brick, I've gotten close to tears with games before, but never full-on tears streaming down my face. No shame in admitting that!

It certainly left a Steins;Gate shaped-hole in my soul for a while afterwards. Now I'm just praying for a localisation of the sequel.

Oh wow, this is amazing to read. I know that feeling of having something that gets you so hooked up you literally can't stop thinking about it. I don't think there's anything wrong with experiencing something like this every now and then. I can definitely relate!

And thanks for liking the OP :)

Great OP!

I saw the anime a few years ago and decided to play the VN earlier this year and I'm really glad I did. It felt way more fleshed out and the alternate endings added a lot too.

Definitely give the anime and the movie a watch! I just saw the movie about a week ago and it was pretty good. I feel like it should've been turned into a mini 12 episode series instead as it felt a bit rushed, but it's still worth a watch.

Steins;Gate 0 starts sometime in the Spring I believe. The VN came out a few weeks ago in Japan so I'm hoping it gets localized!

Thanks! I will watch the anime and movie, no doubt.

Also, there's not a day after I finished Steins;Gate that I don't hope for a S;G0 localisation announcement ;_;

That's probably the best LTTP I've ever seen.
I liked the game, even if I was a bit bored by the first 4 chapters.

Thanks for your words :)

And yes, the game is quite slow in the beginning. I think it didn't have to take so long to get going, but in the end it works nicely for the reasons I explained in the OP. The shift is quite brutal.

A while ago a friend recommended the Steins;Gate anime to me but I never got around to it so when I heard that the game was being released for the Vita I decided to play through that instead and I'm so glad I did.
The OP pretty much describes how I felt about the game from hating Okabe Kyouma at the beginning of the game to him being my character of the year by the end, how I felt once shit started to hit the fan, and how hyped up the credits fake out on the true ending makes you feel.
In short:
http://i.imgur.com/v79AYOW.jpg

For Christmas I bought a different friend a copy of Steins;Gate because of how much I liked it and wanted him to experience it. I know how important the slow build up is once you get the pay off when the lab gets attacked, but when you are playing for the first time the opening of the game can be a bit of a slog so hopefully he'll stick through it to the end.
I bought the anime series shortly after finishing the game and although I've not finished it yet (I've only got the last two episodes left to watch) it's a really well done adaptation of the game. You mentioned that you couldn't imagine anyone else voicing Okabe, but I would recommend watching the English dub of the anime because the English voice actor for Okabe is really good. Don't get me wrong the Japanese voice actor for Okabe is amazing and he does a great job of getting across how the character feels even if you don't understand the language but the English voice actor is great too, to the point that I wouldn't mind playing through the game again if there was a full English dub with the anime voice actors.

This is great. You're a good friend!

When the Blu-rays arrive, I think I'm going to watch the anime in Japanese. But now you have me intrigued. I will definitely also try out the English dub!

Amazing OP. It's not in my GOTY list only because I played it a few years back on PC, but damn if it isn't powerful and takes you unaware. The scenes you mentioned that made you react had the same effect on me, the jelly man one is heart-chilling and had me welling and the one with the blood is literally gut-wrenching. Funny thing is I just had the same reaction right now reading about and remembering them.

Both Faris and Luka's choices/endings were very moving to me; the game may end up rather satisfyingly for most involved but damn if they didn't get the short end of the stick. Luka especially as the version of her that's happily a biological girl gets erased from existence, and the scenes right before and after sending the mail are so incredibly and touchingly voice acted. :(

Special mention for Kurisu and Mayushii for turning two character archetipes I absolutely loathe (tsundere and moe) and making them work for me, for once. The first one thanks to her smarts and deadpan wit, and the second one for her incredible voice actress.

Thank you! I really enjoyed reading this.

I agree on Luka's scene. Too sad :(

Wow, amazing LTTP thread! It feels like I'm replaying the game.
I think the moment I've cried the most was Suzuha departure, so damn sad. Her whole story is sad actually.

And yes, definitely watch the movie (and maybe the OAV before)

Thanks! Suzuha :(

Also, her letter ;_;

Beautiful write-up OP.

(̂ ˃̥̥̥ ˑ̫ ˂̥̥̥ )̂
From what I have seen, the other games I. The series are not nearly as good. Steins;Gate is simply amazing. OP, your write up was probably the best one I have seen for LTTP or RTTP, major props for doing that wand such a superb game as well (my favorite VN hands down).

Thank you so much! °˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°

Wow, thanks for the huge wall of text OP. The feels were definitely back for a moment.

Kudos for mentioning Suzuha's ending. It's the one that shocked me the most.

The main theme of the game is definitely in my top 10 now. It's so poignant.

For unknown reasons, I couldn't get the true ending because there is a bug with my copy. I followed multiple guides, wiped my saved games and still, it wouldn't work.

I watched the anime. It was ok but the movie was horrible.

VNs aren't really my style of games but this story caught my interest. Hopefully we'll see more of it translated.

No problem! Thank you :)

Sorry about your bug. And yeah, the main theme is amazing, I can't tell the number of times I let the game sitting on the menu just to listen to it.

Great LTTP, since you didn't mention it in your write up, did you missed the scenes that explained why Nae is a psycho?

I actually saw them, I just didn't include them because the OP was getting really long, ahah! I could almost feel that knife ;o

Thank you! Go to hear S;G0 is also great. I want it!

Thank you! It's great that we've been getting more VN localisations. Also getting the console versions like in this case is even rarer.

I hope we can get more.

Great OP. I was in your shoes a few months ago, I picked it up in September and found the intro slow going. I would've given up multiple times if I didn't have several people convincing me to stick with it...and I'm super glad I did. Best game I played this year.

Been slowly going through the anime now. As mentioned previously, the dub is excellent. It's a little more localized, in that it changes some of the dialogue to more closely match English net speak terms, but it works really well. The guy who did Okabe pulls off a similarly excellent faux-theatrical performance, and Daru's much more likable because he gets some really good one liners. Mayuri isn't quite as air-headed sounding either. Conversely Kurisu's actress is good but since they've cut down on some of the long winded science speak, it's mostly her tsundere side that's shown through, at least the point where I'm at (ep 7 or so, after Luka's change).

Steins;Gate 0 just came out a few weeks ago and what little I've heard suggests that it's really damn good. Eagerly awaiting a localization announcement.
I played Steins;Gate right after I played Ever17. It was supposed to be another sci-fi epic, so I actually took Okabe seriously in the beginning, when he was all over dramatic, haha.

I struggled through the first part of Steins;Gate. Fell asleep while playing it and everything. Took me about four days to get through it.

Then I blasted through every ending in two days. The plot ramps up SO hard, I love it.
Wow looks like I dropped off right as the good stuff was about to start. Need to get back into this

Thank you! Yeah, the first part of the game is slow, but the payoff is definitely there.

And I will definitely try the English dub.

I apologize in advance for not reading your entire OP, because I know the feels that come with this game. I teared up just looking at some the screenshots and glancing at the moments from the 2nd half of the game. The story...is just so good. I even knew the story before playing this game thanks to the anime, and the VN was still so much better.

It engrossed me. It made me laugh. It made me cry. By the end, I felt joy. Glad you were able to play it.

Glad you enjoyed what you read. Thank you :)

Thank you! Kurisu is definitely great. I'm still not sure if she wasn't aware of how "tsundery" she was acting. After all, she is a closeted nerd, lol.

Steins;Gate 0 is intended to be a "proper" sequel (well, interquel) but all the other ones are better seen as spinoffs at best, as I understand it.

I did read a Kotaku article explaining the spin-offs, and even if some look silly, I still want them all, ahah.

But most of all, I want to play S;G0.

For those who don't know, the main series (the most updated versions in release order) consists of Chaos;Head Noah, Steins;Gate, Robotics;Notes Elite, Chaos;Child, and Steins;Gate 0. There are a number of references to Chaos;Head in Steins;Gate, and I hear that Steins;Gate 0 references all of the previous games in the series. They generally have different character casts, but they are all set in the same world.

This is helpful. I'll definitely use this post as a reference if needed.

Sorry you got spoiled. As someone who hates getting spoiled, that really sucks. I hope you can come back after finishing the game and share your impressions :)

What a LTTP thread...

I must say , you managed to perfectly nail , why steinsgate is the VN that took everyone by surprise.
Okabe as a MC actually mimic how you're supposed to feel at specific moments of the game.
And it's glorious

And yeah ..You can't have the STRONG moments in steins gate , without all the blanter in the first part , every scene before the first WTF was made so you could feel the ride of the second part .. the best 3 weeks of a mad scientist..

There is so many things steingate did right , i can forgive the small thing the game did wrong.
WHAT a GAME.

Thank you very much for reading! And yep, agreed. I'm so glad the payoff was there :)

Steins;Gate was amazing.

I stopped everything this summer to make my play through happen, and it was so worth it.

Well done write up! Brings me right back!

Thank you! I was surprised at how much of the game I remember from memory when I wrote this. That's how I can confirm how memorable this game really is!

Look forward to Steins;Gate 0 :)

And that was a great writeup. Well done.

Ahahah, I was actually referencing Steins;Gate 0 when I wrote that, hence the smug face!

Thank you very much :)

Completed the game in november, it was glorious.

The first ending did send chills down my spine. I mean, the whole ponderimg rape thing and thinking about using the time machine to undo it, aw man. I think it was one of the few times where I was disgusted by the main character. I was like dude come on, don't be like that! I wasn't yelling at the screen, but I almost did. Luckily he snapped out of it.

But the many deaths of Mayushi ;_; my heart

Tuturuuuuuuu

The real ending of the game is amazingly sweet.

Yeah, Mayuri's deaths... And when you think about it, she's the one character who did nothing wrong: she didn't hack SERN, she didn't make the time machine, she didn't send a D-Mail.

Not fair :/

WATCH THE MOVIE

Actually you should probably just watch the anime for a refresher, and there's a bonus OVA at the end that's an epilogue to the game, that takes place after the true ending of the game.

And then, after watching that OVA

WATCH THE MOVIE

I am not a man who cries when I am sad or emotional. Not even when a family member dies. What happens instead is that I get this grasping feeling in my throat. It is extremely rare for any piece of media to legitimately pull that feeling in my throat. In fact, I can think of only two pieces of media off the top of my head that have made me so emotional that they have done so.

And one of those is the Steins;Gate movie.

And it did it basically throughout the entire course of the film.

You have to see it.

WATCH THE MOVIE

http://i.imgur.com/iVzDbJY.jpg

I will, I will! Anyone know if the movie was ever released outside Japan? Or if there is a way to watch it with English subs?

cj_iwakura

The film's been fansubbed. There is no official release, but it's speculated that Funimation might do it eventually. I'll happily watch the dub if it happens.

Andrefpvs

The film's been fansubbed. There is no official release, but it's speculated that Funimation might do it eventually. I'll happily watch the dub if it happens.

Oh, I see. So the movie is somewhat recent, then?

I'll happily buy it too if they bring it over.

LProtag

I guess I didn't really have a hugely emotional reaction to the game as many people did. I really enjoyed it, but I didn't feel as engaged as I did with the Zero Escape series or Danganronpa.

Funimation did announce quite a while ago that they got the license so it's more than speculation, but I wonder what's been holding them up.

Sora_N

Thanks! About the true ending, are you talking about the conversations about Kurisu's father? If so, I agree. I was even more shocked to see how Nakabachi's inferiority complex was more than a simple tantrum, but something that made him attempt murdering his own daughter. Holy Upa, dude.

Yeah I was referring to that, I was shocked when I got to that part. I don't remember how well this was shown in the anime, it's been 3-4 years but I was shocked when I played the game last month lol.

ZealousD

Funimation did announce quite a while ago that they got the license so it's more than speculation, but I wonder what's been holding them up.

I would buy that shit so hard if they would just release it.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I want this, but I have already watched the show. How is it compared to the show and is it still worth it?

The VN has multiple endings, and gave a lot more detail explanation on many of the events. The anime adaption is great, but it is hard to include everything in a 60 hours VN to a 24 hours anime.

I watched the anime first before reading the vn, to be honest a few parts are pretty boring since it is redundant, but it is worth it for the parts not covered by the anime.

Sora_N

I want this, but I have already watched the show. How is it compared to the show and is it still worth it?

It is so worth it, but if you recently watched the anime I would hold off for a little bit. If you're like me and others who finished the anime years ago then you should play this game 100%.

The VN has multiple endings, and gave a lot more detail explanation on many of the events. The anime adaption is great, but it is hard to include everything in a 60 hours VN to a 24 hours anime.

I watched the anime first before reading the vn, to be honest a few parts are pretty boring since it is redundant, but it is worth it for the parts not covered by the anime.

It's more like a 30-50 hour VN compared to a 10-hour show, but your point still stands.

Andrefpvs

It is so worth it, but if you recently watched the anime I would hold off for a little bit. If you're like me and others who finished the anime years ago then you should play this game 100%.

Hmm, this has me thinking. Should I watch the anime so soon after finishing the game? I'm craving more Steins;Gate right now, but maybe I'd enjoy it more if some time has passed...

What do you guys think? Did anyone here do something similar?

ZealousD

Hmm, this has me thinking. Should I watch the anime so soon after finishing the game? I'm craving more Steins;Gate right now, but maybe I'd enjoy it more if some time has passed...

What do you guys think? Did anyone here do something similar?

I watched the show immediately after playing the VN and still enjoyed it immensely. I think it's also probably a good idea to watch the show in full before watching the extra OVA and/or the movie maybe if just to get a feel for the universe as an anime rather than a VN.

The anime is also just a really good way to re-experience Steins;Gate, and probably would be my preferred method going forward, if just because it takes a lot less time.

Holding off on playing the VN after just watching the anime makes sense to me, because the VN is so much longer it could feel like it drags in comparison to the anime. Not really the same problem when you do it the other way around.

Andrefpvs

I watched the show immediately after playing the VN and still enjoyed it immensely. I think it's also probably a good idea to watch the show in full before watching the extra OVA and/or the movie maybe if just to get a feel for the universe as an anime rather than a VN.

The anime is also just a really good way to re-experience Steins;Gate, and probably would be my preferred method going forward, if just because it takes a lot less time.

Holding off on playing the VN after just watching the anime makes sense to me, because the VN is so much longer it could feel like it drags in comparison to the anime. Not really the same problem when you do it the other way around.

Those are excellent points. Thank you!

If the blu-rays arrive by then, I'll probably start watching next weekend :)

Top Bottom