• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Callisto Protocol (PS5)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
header.jpg

Callisto protocol is not that far away from resident evil or dead space and it has a spot in horror game history.

200.gif

Nobody is talking about the uncharted like Hollywood levels of excitement that shows up from chapter to chapter.

maxresdefault.jpg

In the world of entertainment this actor knows the business of gaming. He was in Star Wars the force unleashed and Days gone. You gotta respect this cast:
  • Josh Duhamel as Jacob Lee
  • Karen Fukuhara as Dani Nakamura
  • Zeke Alton as Elias Porter
  • James C Mathis III as Warden Duncan Cole
  • Sam Witwer as Captain Leon Ferris
  • Louise Barnes as Doctor Caitlyn Mahler
  • Jeff Schine as Max Barrow
Callisto-Protocol-actor-f52283e.jpg

You never know when you’re going to get scared.

Sci-Fi Horror GIF by The Callisto Protocol

Physically you embrace upgrades that been around for a damn near decade, the upgrade tree feels up to date to today’s games.

960x0.png

I don’t know if the game is better or worse than a 76.

Great game and I thank PlayStation plus for the opportunity to play Callisto protocol. I think if there’s a sequel it’s an instant purchase.

Got this for 5 buck Physical (PS4) recently, played about 5 to 6 hours into it. I got to part with 4 to 5 enemies and it kept on crashing on me. I uninstalled it and haven't touched it since

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I bought this game on day 1 and I… didn’t enjoy it very much. Only got a few hours into it. Maybe I’ll give it another shot someday.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I did like The Callisto protocol, I'm already at the final stage.

I really liked that feeling of a horror fiction movie... The graphics are very good and well done.

And yet the gameplay is also good, I didn't feel uncomfortable.

Is a good game. I would give it a 9, but it did need some variety in the bosses.

Reactions: TGO

El Muerto

I thought it was great. In a world of remakes/remasters it was nice to play something somewhat original. Combat could of been better though. My gripe is the physical combat focuses on 1v1 so if there's 2 enemies around then you're going to die unless you hoarded ammo.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Played for about 2 to hours ... its about bland and boring as a game can be ... nonsensical cryptic story with repetitive game play ... doing what other games had done much better ... 4/10 try harder next time

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
header.jpg

Callisto protocol is not that far away from resident evil or dead space and it has a spot in horror game history.

200.gif

Nobody is talking about the uncharted like Hollywood levels of excitement that shows up from chapter to chapter.

maxresdefault.jpg

In the world of entertainment this actor knows the business of gaming. He was in Star Wars the force unleashed and Days gone. You gotta respect this cast:
  • Josh Duhamel as Jacob Lee
  • Karen Fukuhara as Dani Nakamura
  • Zeke Alton as Elias Porter
  • James C Mathis III as Warden Duncan Cole
  • Sam Witwer as Captain Leon Ferris
  • Louise Barnes as Doctor Caitlyn Mahler
  • Jeff Schine as Max Barrow
Callisto-Protocol-actor-f52283e.jpg

You never know when you’re going to get scared.

Sci-Fi Horror GIF by The Callisto Protocol

Physically you embrace upgrades that been around for a damn near decade, the upgrade tree feels up to date to today’s games.

960x0.png

I don’t know if the game is better or worse than a 76.

Great game and I thank PlayStation plus for the opportunity to play Callisto protocol. I think if there’s a sequel it’s an instant purchase.

You had me till you posted this lisp singing that seems to be the thing as of.. the last 5 years or so. That and that bullshit trailer cookie cutter-shit... TING...... like.. tapping hard on one of the most vibrant sounding piano keys, to start off the visuals and audio... I Abhor that.

Last edited:

Duchess

I'm getting the impression from Gaffers that the game isn't nearly as bad as many make it out to be (though it's still far from great). Might give it a go at some point.

skit_data

200.gif

I fucking HATE these enemies with passion, they are not scary, they are just annoying and they are too much of them.
Indeed, after a while you realize it will get you once you even turn the corner on the way into a room/corridor so you just waltz into every room and stop being careful when it comes to your movement. Would've been scarier if they depended on a bit closer proximity rather than stretching across the room. It never really felt like a jumpscare either because after a while you started anticipating one in every room/corridoor with creepy stuff on floor and walls.

I enjoyed it for the $10 bucks I paid for it. I think its a pretty good game and dont think it deserved the flack it got because there are WAY worse games out there with better scores. However now that I am replaying Dead Space remake on GPU, and knowing the creator is the same, it just strikes me how he hasnt managed to translate his past experience into the new game. Im at chapter 9 of 12 in DS and im getting new enemies thrown at me, bran new upgrades to my existing weapons even so late etc. Its constantly evolving while CP I feel like it reached its peak after 3rd Chapter and everything else repeats.

Lunarorbit

Really didn't like the combat which made me stop playing rather early. Played dead space on my ps3 in February and loved it so when I tried Callisto protocol I was flabbergasted at how repetitive the combat was.

Beautiful game but not for me

Heimdall_Xtreme

Indeed, after a while you realize it will get you once you even turn the corner on the way into a room/corridor so you just waltz into every room and stop being careful when it comes to your movement. Would've been scarier if they depended on a bit closer proximity rather than stretching across the room. It never really felt like a jumpscare either because after a while you started anticipating one in every room/corridoor with creepy stuff on floor and walls.
The same thing happens to me, I felt the "Surprise Factor" was very predictable, even my mind already knew that behind the chest there would be a "Jumpscare" and I was not surprised.

:messenger_neutral:

Heimdall_Xtreme

I already finished it.

I enjoyed it a lot, the story mode is not long and it is correct.

I liked the game, but I played it on PS PLUS....

If the Game of the Year edition came out I would buy it, why wouldn't I pay the 15 dollars for the real ending.

Although the ending that is found is not bad... they left it for a sequel.

Neff

Is it a hidden gem now ?

Nah

It's a decent game in its own right but it just didn't have nearly enough time devoted to designing combat, enemies or environments. It will always fall short compared to most horror shooters, but if you're a fan of the genre it's worth checking out, especially as it's so cheap these days.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
TBH - it's to Dead Space like Parasite Eve was to Resident Evil back in the day. Unfortunately - that extends to being mechanically inferior, even though I find the visual direction substantially better than that of DS remake. Not to mention how they botched VA in the new DS.

That's one element I don't really see benefiting any horror game. DS was made the lesser series when it embraced 'Uncharted, but in (dead) Space'. And I don't think CP 'big' moments are really helping the game either.
But I'll take the good with the bad I guess.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Currently playing this thanks to PS Plus and I really dig it. Atmosphere is on spot, cast is very Hollywoodesc and the meele dodge mechanic is interesting and refreshing.

Only thing is, after playing RE4 Remake yeah... Combat feels quite a few steps down. I don't understand how this game doesnt have a strafe mechanic with the amount of projectiles it throws at you.

It's just dumb.

Plus the save point system in this game is utterly shit.

Last edited:

stn

I bought it on launch and enjoyed it. It has a lot of flaws, though, but I haven't played it since all the patches released.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I thought the game, while very flawed, was a great first effort from a newly formed AAA studio and I think it's a damn shame that they're likely not going to get a shot at a sequel.

Callisto Protocol 2 could've been an Assassin's Creed -> Assassin's Creed 2 type jump.

Top Bottom