• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Callisto Protocol (PS5)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I already finished it.

I enjoyed it a lot, the story mode is not long and it is correct.

I liked the game, but I played it on PS PLUS....

If the Game of the Year edition came out I would buy it, why wouldn't I pay the 15 dollars for the real ending.

Although the ending that is found is not bad... they left it for a sequel.
Oh you didn't play the DLC
My advice is to not bother, it is basically them throwing in the towel after all the hate they got.
The new weapon is cool but that ending...
I know it wasn't the original ending and they did plan a sequel but I guess they saw the writing on the wall and decided to just tie it up.
Such a shame, they could have been working on a sequel now that would have addressed a lot of complaints but people really wanted blood.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Finished the game. Overall a cool experience.

I like it when I go tackle a game expecting the worse based on reviews and the game offers me the opposite.

Just proves each game to it's own and personally I think the game isn't as bad as people make it to be.

Didn't play the DLC, but watched it on youtube.

I would rather prefer the original cliffhanger ending, because that would allow a possible sequel. DLC feels like a last resort of closing Jacob's history and bury the franchise to the ground because it bomb hard sales wise.

It's a shame, the franchise had much more to offer and could really improve with a sequel.

Reactions: Isa

HelveticaBold

Neo Member
the dev team is still together except for what's his name that left? I would like to see another game from them, they have serious technical chops.

Last edited:

simpatico

They really should have lifted the plasma cutter from Dead Space. The moment to moment gameplay got old and tired incredibly fast. Really killed the tension too.

After completing this and recently playing through the Dead Space remake, I feel it's unfortunate that this franchise won't continue. The game's production values are impressive, and it still might be the best looking next gen game, but its unique take on combat and story offered a fresh experience, showing there's room for both games at the table.

I strongly recommend.

Dead Space is Resident Evil in space, while CP stands out as something distinct. The combat in CP is engaging and different, being melee-focused, it diverges from the expectations set by the genre and Dead Space, leading to some controversy whiny cunts to complain about the combat and enemy variety.

Eiknarf

Banned
Finished the game. Overall a cool experience.

I like it when I go tackle a game expecting the worse based on reviews and the game offers me the opposite.

Just proves each game to it's own and personally I think the game isn't as bad as people make it to be.

Didn't play the DLC, but watched it on youtube.

I would rather prefer the original cliffhanger ending, because that would allow a possible sequel. DLC feels like a last resort of closing Jacob's history and bury the franchise to the ground because it bomb hard sales wise.

It's a shame, the franchise had much more to offer and could really improve with a sequel.
They could still do a sequel having us play as Dani.

Eiknarf

Banned
After completing this and recently playing through the Dead Space remake, I feel it's unfortunate that this franchise won't continue. The game's production values are impressive, and it still might be the best looking next gen game, but its unique take on combat and story offered a fresh experience, showing there's room for both games at the table.

I strongly recommend.

Dead Space is Resident Evil in space, while CP stands out as something distinct. The combat in CP is engaging and different, being melee-focused, it diverges from the expectations set by the genre and Dead Space, leading to some controversy whiny cunts to complain about the combat and enemy variety.
Resident Evil 4 is too different from Dead Space and Callisto… cmon guys.

Resident Evil 4 plays more like a Last of Us than Dead Space and Callisto

Dead Space is basically a great shooter with shitty (or zero) melee combat and zero stealth sections.

Callisto is a great shooter with good melee combat and decent stealth sections.

Dead Space has the thing where you can slow down your enemies (stasis)

Callisto has the thing where you can pick up and launch objects (GRP)

Dead Space shooting: 10
Dead Space melee combat: 4
Dead Space stealth: 1
Dead Space combat average: 5

Callisto shooting: 8
Callisto melee combat: 7
Callisto stealth: 6
Callisto combat average: 7

Last edited:

Dead Space is basically a great shooter with shitty (or zero) melee combat and zero stealth sections.

I Know Actors GIF by PBS SoCal

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

Callisto shooting an 8 ? Combat average 7 ?
Man, I'd love some of that stuff you're smoking !

Edit : there's no shooting in your 8/10 "shooting" game actually - after finishing it on hard, the only times I got to actually shoot at stuff were during the elevator /platform boss fight and maybe 2-3 other scenarios in my whole playthrough - and that's only when the game actually decides to give you some fucking ammo, in fact, ammo is so scarce that you can find yourself with no ammo whatsoever even during fights where you're supposed to (final level 2headed 3rd encounter) which goes to show even further that this game wasn't even playtested properly.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
Callisto shooting an 8 ? Combat average 7 ?
Man, I'd love some of that stuff you're smoking !

Edit : there's no shooting in your 8/10 "shooting" game actually - after finishing it on hard, the only times I got to actually shoot at stuff were during the elevator /platform boss fight and maybe 2-3 other scenarios in my whole playthrough - and that's only when the game actually decides to give you some fucking ammo, in fact, ammo is so scarce that you can find yourself with no ammo whatsoever even during fights where you're supposed to (final level 2headed 3rd encounter) which goes to show even further that this game wasn't even playtested properly.
Do you do crack or heroin?

I used my guns alllll the time in Callisto

Maybe play on normal, not hard.

Oh, did you play at launch when enemies came at you simultaneously? Cuz that’s been patched/fixed

There’s nonstop shooting in both Dead Space and Callisto

Only difference is there’s almost zero melee combat in Dead Space. That sucks. Hence why Callisto wins in terms of COMBAT (because there’s more WAYS to kill:
1. melee dodge/counter,
2. shooting,
3. stealth from behind)

Options matter.

And yeah, shooting is incredibly satisfying in Callisto where it actually FEELS like youre shooting the shit outta the antagonists.

The only bad thing in Callisto was the SWITCHING of guns. You could only have a LONG and a SHORT equipped/switchable at a time. Which is why I gave the Callisto shooting an 8 while I gave the shooting in Dead Space a 10.

But gameplay-wise, they’re both great. I just had more fun playing Callisto because of the variety of WAYS to kill (not the variety of enemies). Yes, Dead Space has a wider variety of enemies. But who cares? It doesn’t matter if you kill them all the same way over and over.

Most people would prefer a variety of ways to kill an enemy than a variety of enemies to kill the same way. That’s a fact

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Do you do crack or heroin?

I used my guns alllll the time in Callisto

Maybe play on normal, not hard.

Oh, did you play at launch when enemies came at you simultaneously? Cuz that’s been patched/fixed

There’s nonstop shooting in both Dead Space and Callisto

Only difference is there’s almost zero melee combat in Dead Space. That sucks. Hence why Callisto wins in terms of COMBAT (because there’s more WAYS to kill:
1. melee dodge/counter,
2. shooting,
3. stealth from behind)

Options matter.

And yeah, shooting is incredibly satisfying in Callisto where it actually FEELS like youre shooting the shit outta the antagonists.

The only bad thing in Callisto was the SWITCHING of guns. You could only have a LONG and a SHORT equipped/switchable at a time. Which is why I gave the Callisto shooting an 8 while I gave the shooting in Dead Space a 10.

But gameplay-wise, they’re both great. I just had more fun playing Callisto because of the variety of WAYS to kill (not the variety of enemies). Yes, Dead Space has a wider variety of enemies. But who cares? It doesn’t matter if you kill them all the same way over and over.

Most people would prefer a variety of ways to kill an enemy than a variety of enemies to kill the same way. That’s a fact

I do neither crack nor cocaine.
I finished it 2 weeks ago so I played the "patched" version.

No, I'm not gonna play something on your recommended difficulty level as to prove your (wrong) point.

I mean, shit, you might prefer a McDonald's burger to a bistecca Fiorentina and that's fine but it doesn't make it so/true.

Callisto was very pretty but, as a "game" it failed spectacularly and it's pretty easy to see why, it's boring, scripted to death, cliche' with Uber bad "shooting" and even worse melee.

It's a shame actually, it could have been something special but not only it didn't accomplish that but it actually was incredibly mediocre and encapsulated everything that's wrong with "AAA" gaming.

Again, you like it ? fine, just stop pretending it's something it's not or, better than it actually is.

Cheerio

Justin9mm

I do neither crack nor cocaine.
I finished it 2 weeks ago so I played the "patched" version.

No, I'm not gonna play something on your recommended difficulty level as to prove your (wrong) point.

I mean, shit, you might prefer a McDonald's burger to a bistecca Fiorentina and that's fine but it doesn't make it so/true.

Callisto was very pretty but, as a "game" it failed spectacularly and it's pretty easy to see why, it's boring, scripted to death, cliche' with Uber bad "shooting" and even worse melee.

It's a shame actually, it could have been something special but not only it didn't accomplish that but it actually was incredibly mediocre and encapsulated everything that's wrong with "AAA" gaming.

Again, you like it ? fine, just stop pretending it's something it's not or, better than it actually is.

Cheerio
Agreed!

Here is my rant: It had huge ambition which you could see when playing. But it definitely failed to deliver on it's promises. I don't understand people who defend this game. It's ok to like it, but to completely be in denial about it's shortcomings is a problem. The game's level design has to be some of the worst I've ever seen. You're literally shimmying and crawling from one room to the next for majority of the game when not engaged in combat. It also released badly at launch with some almost unplayable issues that needed to be patched like broken save/checkpoints and issues with enemies/combat which was unacceptable. One thing we can all agree on is that the game is pretty!

Eiknarf

Banned
Agreed!

Here is my rant: It had huge ambition which you could see when playing. But it definitely failed to deliver on it's promises. I don't understand people who defend this game. It's ok to like it, but to completely be in denial about it's shortcomings is a problem. The game's level design has to be some of the worst I've ever seen. You're literally shimmying and crawling from one room to the next for majority of the game when not engaged in combat. It also released badly at launch with some almost unplayable issues that needed to be patched like broken save/checkpoints and issues with enemies/combat which was unacceptable. One thing we can all agree on is that the game is pretty!
Yes you’re right about the level design and shimmying. That’s why in my post (two posts ago) I only compared the combat. The killing. (The shooting, the melee attacks and the stealth attacks)

If you only compare the killing of enemies, there’s nothing wrong with Callisto. Nothing.

Total game-wise, I give Dead Space an 8.5 and Callisto an 8.5.

Yet some people STILL get upset that others (like myself) enjoy both. That’s your problem, not mine

Reactions: TGO
Top Bottom