• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lunar Silver Star Story for PSone

WarPig

Yeah, I'd pay five bucks for that. Quit before the endgame, though. The last three bosses are for masochists only.

DFS.

Ferrio

Banned
Yeah, I'd pay five bucks for that. Quit before the endgame, though. The last three bosses are for masochists only.

....what's the point then.

The only reason to play that game was for the story... the battle system was dull dull dull.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
WarPig said:

DFS.

I feel that way about the last boss of this most recent Arc the Lad...

btw, they also have a bunch of brand new copies of Castlevania SOTN (the greatest hits version) for $13. Did Konami reship that game or something? I remember it was supposed to be rare, but i've seen a lot of copies the last few months.

Shouta

For 5 bucks definitely go for it. Lunar is extremely easy though, I don't know why anyone would think it was difficult.

WarPig

Shouta said:
For 5 bucks definitely go for it. Lunar is extremely easy though, I don't know why anyone would think it was difficult.

It's not hard so much as it's just boring as shit.

DFS.

belgurdo

Banned
WarPig said:

DFS.

Uh...what? Lunar is piss easy. The only hard boss is the one in the volcano, and that's only because you have to walk though a health-draining trap to get to them...

teiresias

I don't remember either Lunar being extremely hard, but I found them extremely entertaining. I don't know why people think they're boring. The characters are entertaining, and it's nice to have a story that isn't so damn cerebral that you need a PhD in psychology or be on heavy medication to understand it.

It's a great game, beautiful cut-scenes and a nicely developed story. Definitely worth five bucks. SotN is easily worth $13, by the way.

DarthWufei said:
I enjoyed Grandia over LSSS, but then again I was playing Lunar Legend..

You definetly can't judge Lunar from that. That version of Lunar is about as watered down as you can get, stripped out cinemas, stripped music, areas ect. It's still decent but definetly not a good way to judge how good the series is.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
WarPig said:
It's not hard so much as it's just boring as shit.

DFS.

I agree. Silver Star Story Complete was very very dull. In fact I fell asleep a few times while playing. Eternal Blue Complete was at least a bit more entertaining. I bought them both off of SSX's recommendation. >:|

SolidSnakex said:
You definetly can't judge Lunar from that. That version of Lunar is about as watered down as you can get, stripped out cinemas, stripped music, areas ect. It's still decent but definetly not a good way to judge how good the series is.

When was I judging the whole series? That was the entire point of me saying I was playing the GBA version. And even so, I don't see how cutscenes and music are going to make me like it over Grandia.

DarthWufei said:
When was I judging the whole series? That was the entire point of me saying I was playing the GBA version. And even so, I don't see how cutscenes and music are going to make me like it over Grandia.

It's not just cutscenes and music, the story has been reduced, areas are missing ect. It's not close to being the same as it's console versions.

SolidSnakex said:
It's not just cutscenes and music, the story has been reduced, areas are missing ect. It's not close to being the same as it's console versions.

Ah I see, but I don't think I will exactly enjoy even it moreso with that. If I can come across the PSX version I'll pick it up. Don't think I didn't like LSSS, I never said that, I think it's quite a decent RPG. I'd just personally take Grandia over it. Maybe the battle system gets me into the game a little more in Grandia than Lunar.

That's another thing actually, Lunar Legends battle system is completely different from Lunar SSC's. SSC's battle system is very similar to Grandia's battle system overall.

Shouta

SSC's battle system is very similar to Grandia's battle system overall.

It's not even funny how different how it play outs. =b SSC is standard turn-based with a gimmick movement system as opposed to Grandia which actually utilizes it.

Link316

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
btw, they also have a bunch of brand new copies of Castlevania SOTN (the greatest hits version) for $13. Did Konami reship that game or something? I remember it was supposed to be rare, but i've seen a lot of copies the last few months.

they must've because plenty of them are being dumped on ebay, I've also been able to pick up new copies of Alundra and Vanguard Bandits

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Lunar Sega CD, did a more appreciable job of factoring movement into combat tactics. The PSX remake kind of just removed that aspect of play.

Beyond that Grandia did have an assortment of abilities and spells to learn for each character, Lunar just had the basic few.

What's the big deal Solidsnakex? Never said I wouldn't give it a chance, I don't know whether you're trying to prove my enjoyment of a game wrong or what. They storyline didn't jive with me very much and I just didn't get into it. Stripped down or not, I doubt the main story was taken out. As far as the battle system, if it's supposed to be like Grandia's but lacking how does that help me?

If I can get a shold of a Sega CD and a copy of the game, I'd actually try it out and see how it is. But as of yet I don't have much to compare it too, and even those additions don't seem like enough to sway my views on which I enjoy more. I prefer not to look like a troll so I hope no one thinks that.

Draff

Lunar's awesome. It may not have the best story but I just found the characters and charm were enough to carry me through the game. (I even wrote a faqs for it, I'm sad)

Alucard

Banned
I loved playing through both Lunar games on the PSX. The cutscenes were gorgeous and the sense of adventure was great. Plus, you really wanted to talk to every single character in the game because they always had something new and interesting (or funny) to say. I will say that it's a patient man's RPG though. You have to do a LOT of leveling up in order to have a chance against some of the later bosses.

Lunar 2 is superior to the first one in every way as well. The whole end section and the things that happen in the story are just really damn cool. I don't know if I would have the patience to play through them both again today though.

Bog

Junior Ace
The final battle's not hard, it just takes about 30 minutes. But yeah, the game's great. Go to TRU and pick up a new copy of the collector's box. I don't care that it's not $4.99. Buy it.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Funny story: I did a funny little dance for the current head of the Working Designs booth at E3 for one of those little punching puppets they released with the game.

I did enjoy the GBA rerelease.

Ranger X

Lunar Silver Star Story and Eternal Blue are one of my favorite RPGs. The haters just don't like console RPGs i guess. The characters were awesome. Today the game may look/sound cliché but hey... it is the game that MADE those clichés up.
I really liked those games. And considering it's coming for around the times of FF4 = incredible.

Top Bottom