• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: The Wasteland unlikely as Furiosa bombs.

SiahWester

That's horrible. I wanted to see the movie, but I'm a homebody. I have a strong inclination to stay home. I was looking all over to stream.

I think people are right when they say cinema is dead. I bet if this movie was available for streaming from the get go then it wouldve done really well.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

It's Furiover. If Cinema eventually becomes a barren wasteland with nothing but capeshit and horror, we got what we fucking deserved.

Please. They shouldn't have ejected Mad Max from a fucking Mad Max movie. They got what they deserved.

TheUsual

Gold Member
AJP6glc.gif

kunonabi

That's horrible. I wanted to see the movie, but I'm a homebody. I have a strong inclination to stay home. I was looking all over to stream.

I think people are right when they say cinema is dead. I bet if this movie was available for streaming from the get go then it wouldve done really well.
If digital is still 30$ I highly doubt it.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Good. I know my reaction is like cutting off my nose to spite my face but I don't care! They should have gone sequel instead of prequel. They made their bed now they have to lie in it.

Trilobit

Gold Member

I have this thing where I most often first watch the movie at home and afterwards I might think "wow, this would have been really cool to see in cinema". I thought that about Dune 1 so I went to see Dune 2 at the theaters and it was a blast and really elevated it.

But tickets are so insanely expensive that I don't care to take chances with movies that might not be 10/10 cinema experience. Most Marvel and scifi movies nowadays don't have the pazazz needed. I'll mostly take the chance if my favourite directors like Villeneuve or Nolan have made it as it's a stamp of proof that it'll be a audiovisual spectacle.

Billbofet

Gold Member
Cinema is on borrowed time.
There's no competing with what's at kid's fingertips today, literally hijacking their brain.

When I was young, between the ages 16 and 26, kids my age were seeing a movie a week. If not every week, then definitely every month. Kids today are not doing that. Not even close.

So how is cinema going to survive? On old folks, 45 and up? What happens when we're dead? Yup, you guessed correctly: that's when cinema officially dies (and it will die)
I agree with most of this. I always say my kids are growing up with shittier versions of what I grew up with. They also get to see the few franchises they have and might love die a miserable death of oversaturation and mediocrity.

YCoCg

Gold Member
Miller should do Wasteland anyway, round off the series, bring back Mel as the original Max and reveal that Hardys version was someone who picked up the moniker after Mel's version vanished, revive Hemsworth character as an android or something, just go balls to the wall with it.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Let's break it down:

> make new Mad Max movie, no Mad Max
> wait nine years to make it
> make a prequel about a character that had an excellent arc in Fury Road but isn't interesting enough to warrant a whole movie
> cast someone who is a good actress but can't carry a blockbuster movie
> release an incredibly bad first trailer
Video Game Disbelief GIF by Santa Monica Studio

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I'm really excited for this movie, which is why I'm not going to let today's shitty theater audiences ruin it for me. I don't buy things out of support, I buy things because they're worth my money, and the theatrical experience isn't worth paying for anymore. Kick out the phone addicts and I'll start going to the theater again.

March Climber

Gold Member
I'm really excited for this movie, which is why I'm not going to let today's shitty theater audiences ruin it for me. I don't buy things out of support, I buy things because they're worth my money, and the theatrical experience isn't worth paying for anymore. Kick out the phone addicts and I'll start going to the theater again.
You have to pick one:

1) Theaters showing Furiosa have seats filled full of the annoying people you talk about
2) Furiosa is bombing and seats are way more empty than they should be

You can't have both.

For reference, my theater had 7 people in it, at a 6pm showing. That's it.

Raven117

Gold Member
I don't really understand why production companies have abandoned the golden formula to instead chase the female groups with movies that typically aren't very popular with them. It's like trying to chase after two rabbits at the same time.
This is what I don't understand either. The Barbie movie did great as it targeted a demographic and provided them with material that appealed to them. Made an eff ton of money.

What's more confusing is why Hollywood refuses to write complex female heroes. Ripley, Sarah Conner, all absolutely fantastic characters that were layered, complex, and feminine. Now, they just gender swap the hero, sand away any imperfections that make them human or relatable, and expect everyone to just buy in.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Max is in this film.
Eh, not really. And the Max stand in has more personality and charisma in his couple of scenes than the rest of the cast put together and even he couldn't seal the deal with Furiosa.

This didn't have to be a 160 mill picture. They could have done 90% of it with far less. We didn't need Dementus having 1000 CGI motorcycles behind him that are never really shown. Just 50-100 guys on dirt bikes for 2-3 scenes would have sufficed. We didn't need an elaborate Oasis set with bad CG. Gastown could have been made the same way they did Road Warrior, Bullet town already looked like some abandoned quarry. The Citadel could have been done with models.

Anyway, point being, this film should have cost 60-70 mill TOPS, the more raw feel would have gone over far better than the lush, over-saturated look it has, and if we had to give up on some of the crowd scenes and repetitive "swarm of cars/bikes going over a hill"....so be it. Hell, the entire extended pursuit of Furiosa in the beginning could have been cut entirely. Only the middle big rig scene really needed the time and effort to do well.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
You have to pick one:

1) Theaters showing Furiosa have seats filled full of the annoying people you talk about
2) Furiosa is bombing and seats are way more empty than they should be

You can't have both.

For reference, my theater had 7 people in it, at a 6pm showing. That's it.
Well I hope you're not implying I asked for both! I'm not really interested in picking a film's fate, I just want to watch my movies the way they're most enjoyable—without any phone addicts in attendance. Theaters have to pick one: I'll see movies in theaters, or people can use their phones in theaters. They can't have both.
I did consider waiting two or more weeks before seeing the film in theaters, when there's likely to be a much smaller turnout. We'll see.

Woggleman

Gold Member
Not related to just this movie but it is sad how theaters are falling apart. There wasn't even a human being selling us tickets. We ordered them from a kiosk then I swiped a card and it printed out tickets that looked like a receipt.

I honestly think we could have walked in without paying and nobody would have noticed. There was nobody even checking our tickets. The popcorn also was terrible and I dumped it before the movie even started.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I heard this theory a while back. Young men flock to movies like Transformers 1 that clearly has them as a target group. They put in a gorgeous girl to sweeten the deal. Girlfriends like to follow with their guys to watch whatever. So this brings in the big bucks.

Now what we get instead is stuff like Rey being the lead in a Star Wars trilogy where she beats all guys easily and men are slapped for being men. Or a female lead in Bumblebee(which I liked, but was lowest grossing Transformers movie).

I don't really understand why production companies have abandoned the golden formula to instead chase the female groups with movies that typically aren't very popular with them. It's like trying to chase after two rabbits at the same time.
I'm no psychologist, but I think people in general seeing all these giant superhero/tough dude characters being women is a turn off for many.

And some of it has to do with reality being a foundation.

Even though any movie or TV show is made up and superhero stuff is crazy shit with super powers and flying in space etc....., a lot of people see this as pandering and unrealistic. Even though it's plain insane to have Wolverine being a guy whose impossible to kill with blades coming out of his hands ripping people apart, people would rather see and believe dude bro kick ass characters being men. And thats because in reality, men are stronger than women physically, smash up stuff going nuts more etc.... So when you see a character being female with powers kicking ass and beating up beefy guys (including beating up men with super powers too), people see this as dumb.

That's my guess at least.

But there are superhero/tough dude setting movies with female leads that made shit loads of money.... Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel, probably some more. So it can be successful.

Last edited:

March Climber

Gold Member
Well I hope you're not implying I asked for both! I'm not really interested in picking a film's fate, I just want to watch my movies the way they're most enjoyable—without any phone addicts in attendance.
You are, because you keep bringing up a point (annoying audiences) that isn't relevant to a movie that's bombing. You can literally go watch Furiosa now and have 5 or less people in your theater, especially since opening weekend is over.
Theaters have to pick one: I'll see movies in theaters, or people can use their phones in theaters. They can't have both.
This is irrelevant to a movie that's bombing. The phone-zoomers are not watching this film. The few who did aren't there anymore because opening weekend is over. It's almost the next weekend and seats are already empty.
I did consider waiting two or more weeks before seeing the film in theaters, when there's likely to be a much smaller turnout. We'll see.
Again, it's already a smaller turnout. You should go earlier, because the clock to streaming is already ticking.

I have faith we'll see The Wasteland. It took me a second watch to fully appreciate Furiosa once I accepted it's not the thrill ride that was Fury Road.

Furiosa does an excellent job at fleshing out the brutality of The Wasteland even more. Hopefully it isn't the last Mad Max installment.

Aesius

I foresee most theaters closing down, and “Cinema” becomes more of a premiere experience for movies. Like going to a broadway show. Everything will immediately go to VoD, but if you want to see it on the big screen for a limited time, you’ll need to drive who knows how many miles to the closest theater. They need to be good theaters too. Really big screens, 300 - 500 seats, good food, staff that enforces good audience behavior etc. They need to make it a positive and exciting experience.

Right now there’s way too many theaters that don’t justify box office performance for the past few years, and it’s going to get worse. Families and teenagers are huge demographics for theater goers. Right now families would rather wait an extra few weeks for VoD, rather than pay $100+ to take their fat wife and kids to the movies. And then teenagers don’t care about movie theaters anymore. Theater chains and Hollywood need to adapt in major ways to survive the changes that are already here.

Legendary films like Back to the Future, Star Wars ‘77, Jurassic Park, or Lord of the Rings would bomb at the box office if they were made and released today. The Silver Screen era has fallen. Begun the Streaming Wars has.
This is basically how moviegoing works for me now. I have a 65" OLED at home. 4K movies look incredible on it, even via streaming. My movie-watching experience at home is mostly going back and watching movies from the 70s-00s that I missed. They are almost all superior to modern movies.

However, occasionally new movies are released that I MUST see in the theater. Interstellar, Oppenheimer, Dune 1+2, Top Gun: Maverick, etc. I saw all of these in IMAX Laser and they were incredible. Well worth the price of admission. But I'm not going to see just any movie in the theater anymore, especially if it's just a bog standard theater.

I remember seeing random shit like 50/50 and Looper and This is the End in the theater back in 2011-2013 or so. I would never go to the theater for stuff like that now because either A) it releases as a streaming title anyway or B) it's on streaming services within 6 weeks of its theatrical release, if that.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

It's happened for two reasons.

One... the executives in charge of movie companies now are no longer creatives. They are money men, who see everything in terms of algorithms and spreadsheets. There was an influx of them from Wall Street about a decade ago.

Two... these executives have tried to plug up that creative gap by hiring people below them who are creatives. But they've hired cheap (because they are money men) and most of the hires are young, inexperienced and ideologically driven, rather than experienced with what sells to the audience.

This phenomena is not just in the movie industry. You can trace a lot of what's wrong with many western companies back to these two connected things.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm no psychologist, but I think people in general seeing all these giant superhero/tough dude characters being women is a turn off for many.

And some of it has to do with reality being a foundation.

Even though any movie or TV show is made up and superhero stuff is crazy shit with super powers and flying in space etc....., a lot of people see this as pandering and unrealistic. Even though it's plain insane to have Wolverine being a guy whose impossible to kill with blades coming out of his hands ripping people apart, people would rather see and believe dude bro kick ass characters being men. And thats because in reality, men are stronger than women physically, smash up stuff going nuts more etc.... So when you see a character being female with powers kicking ass and beating up beefy guys (including beating up men with super powers too), people see this as dumb.

That's my guess at least.

But there are superhero/tough dude setting movies with female leads that made shit loads of money.... Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel, probably some more. So it can be successful.
IMHO, it's not so much that men don't want to see women fighting, its that the woman must ALSO be feminine, appeal to "the male gaze", and have vulnerabilities that make her attractive to men. Classic female superheroines and action stars had these qualities and they worked for a male audience.

Female audiences show, time and time again, that they don't really give a shit about "girl boss" tough chicks that act masculine, what they REALLY want is a RELATIONSHIP they can invest in. The alpha male who sacrifices all for his single true love. The "bad boy' who is tamed by his single true love. The "one that got away' who secretly still pines for his one true love only to be reunited. The "wounded man" who lost his one true love, dismisses others as inadequate replacements, and goes on a soul searching quest (for vengeance, closure, absolution, doesn't really matter) that ends with him staying by his one true love and carrying that torch till death. THATS what sold women on Marvel and countless other male led action films. This is what modern writers are COMPLETELY missing in their attempts to 'force' women to become consumers of these products whilst berating men for abandoning that same product. Virtually no one wants to see a manish woman rip apart hordes of mooks on some dull quest. But EVERYONE will turn out to see a handsome male lead stabbing dragons to recover his damsel in distress who turns out to be kind of a bitch and his tomboy squire is....gasp...his one true love (oh hell, did I just describe the pot of Dragonslayer?) and he only realizes it at the end and has to sacrifice himself to save her.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
You are, because you keep bringing up a point (annoying audiences) that isn't relevant to a movie that's bombing. You can literally go watch Furiosa now and have 5 or less people in your theater, especially since opening weekend is over.

This is irrelevant to a movie that's bombing. The phone-zoomers are not watching this film. The few who did aren't there anymore because opening weekend is over. It's almost the next weekend and seats are already empty.

Again, it's already a smaller turnout. You should go earlier, because the clock to streaming is already ticking.
Do you think only popular films suffer from the phone epidemic? That's not an accusative tone, imagine I'm asking it hopefully. If theaters are as empty as you say, I might see it Tuesday (discount day, can get into my theater's large-format screen for the price of a regular ticket). My local theater only does reserved seating, and I can see on the site that most of tomorrow's showings already have more than five reservations, which I would expect to grow by tomorrow. My theater might not be as empty as yours, or maybe Fridays are particularly popular for theaters.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Do you think only popular films suffer from the phone epidemic? That's not an accusative tone, imagine I'm asking it hopefully. If theaters are as empty as you say, I might see it Tuesday (discount day, can get into my theater's large-format screen for the price of a regular ticket). My local theater only does reserved seating, and I can see on the site that most of tomorrow's showings already have more than five reservations, which I would expect to grow by tomorrow. My theater might not be as empty as yours, or maybe Fridays are particularly popular for theaters.
There are also just TOO MANY theaters. I got like 20 or more in my town, so a new release may get over a HUNDRED SHOWINGS A DAY that first weekend. What film justifies that capacity? As a kid we had far fewer theaters, so the popular films got much longer runs and seeing "sold out" signs on the marquee for the first few weeks was pretty common. Now most theaters have reserved seating and, to the shock of no one, most screenings are half filled with all the seats in the center taken but none on the edges. I know I for sure will not buy tickets if I'm too far over or forward.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I have this thing where I most often first watch the movie at home and afterwards I might think "wow, this would have been really cool to see in cinema". I thought that about Dune 1 so I went to see Dune 2 at the theaters and it was a blast and really elevated it.

But tickets are so insanely expensive that I don't care to take chances with movies that might not be 10/10 cinema experience. Most Marvel and scifi movies nowadays don't have the pazazz needed. I'll mostly take the chance if my favourite directors like Villeneuve or Nolan have made it as it's a stamp of proof that it'll be a audiovisual spectacle.
Can we stop with this false narrative. I paid $6 for a matinee ticket of the new planet of the apes at my local Cinemark. I guess I could have sought out the most expensive cinema in the nicest part of town and paid $20+ for a ticket.

March Climber

Gold Member
Do you think only popular films suffer from the phone epidemic? That's not an accusative tone, imagine I'm asking it hopefully.
No worries. I have been to enough showings in the past of movies that have bombed on opening weekend, at different theaters and times, to let you know that the week afterwards has a 98% chance of being a ghost town. Sometimes, you even win the lottery and get to be the only people (or person if you view alone) in the room.
If theaters are as empty as you say, I might see it Tuesday (discount day, can get into my theater's large-format screen for the price of a regular ticket). My local theater only does reserved seating, and I can see on the site that most of tomorrow's showings already have more than five reservations, which I would expect to grow by tomorrow.
The fact that they are in single digit is what I'm pointing out. Even if it manages to reach 10 people, that's still really bad for the movie but great for your sake.
My theater might not be as empty as yours, or maybe Fridays are particularly popular for theaters.
Fridays are a more popular time for movie showings but again I don't see that as an issue here, as you're essentially asking for the low/high of an already low attendance. The ticket numbers have sunken very fast and at a certain point you have to ask yourself if you're trying to win that lottery ticket I mentioned above. If you want that, do the tuesday viewing.

Last edited:

INC

Gold Member
Who wants to spend nearly £30-50 to watch a film on dated technology, full of potential weirdos clapping at a film

The only thing cinema has going for it is the sound stage and imax

Other than that, I can get a decent experience at home on my set up, and not deal with the general public

Films come out on stream pretty quick or service's like iptv have amazing quality streams almost instantly

There's almost 0 reason to go to the cinema unless it's fir a date or some shit

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Other than that, I can get a decent experience at home on my set up, and not deal with the general public
Nothing kills movie theatre mood more than someone hitting the back of your seat, or people in front of you making noise or getting up back and forth to the bathroom or snack bar.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
There are also just TOO MANY theaters. I got like 20 or more in my town, so a new release may get over a HUNDRED SHOWINGS A DAY that first weekend. What film justifies that capacity? As a kid we had far fewer theaters, so the popular films got much longer runs and seeing "sold out" signs on the marquee for the first few weeks was pretty common. Now most theaters have reserved seating and, to the shock of no one, most screenings are half filled with all the seats in the center taken but none on the edges. I know I for sure will not buy tickets if I'm too far over or forward.
Woah! There are just two easily accessible theaters for me, one for wide release films, one for smaller indies (which unfortunately gets crowded, even during obscure films, with people who leave their phones buzzing, even kids vaping—indie theaters are probably trendy with annoying people right now).

Can we stop with this false narrative. I paid $6 for a matinee ticket of the new planet of the apes at my local Cinemark. I guess I could have sought out the most expensive cinema in the nicest part of town and paid $20+ for a ticket.
I've heard prices can vary by area (even within the same theater chain), but on discount Tuesdays that's the price of a standard showing for me too. Looking at the Cinemark website, if I input different zip codes, I get wildly different prices! Seattle costs about twice as much as it does here! I could see a film in Cinemark XD for less than a standard showing costs there.
Here's a map I found, of course can't verify how well-researched it is, and I bet numbers are inflated by the most urban parts of each state:
image.png

No worries. I have been to enough showings in the past of movies that have bombed on opening weekend, at different theaters and times, to let you know that the week afterwards has a 98% chance of being a ghost town. Sometimes, you even win the lottery and get to be the only people (or person if you view alone) in the room.

The fact that they are in single digit is what I'm pointing out. Even if it manages to reach 10 people, that's still really bad for the movie but great for your sake.

Fridays are a more popular time for movie showings but again I don't see that as an issue here, as you're essentially asking for the low/high of an already low attendance. The ticket numbers have sunken very fast and at a certain point you have to ask yourself if you're trying to win that lottery ticket I mentioned above. If you want that, do the tuesday viewing.
There's a good chance I will do the Tuesday viewing.
God I remember the good times fucking over MoviePass, able to see a movie a day for just, what was it, $10 or $15 a month? After two or three movies, it was already more than worth my money. I was constantly in theaters. Sometimes I'd watch movies I'd never even heard of, just because I had a MoviePass and I happened to be near the theater. Bled those bozos dry.

AJUMP23

This movie didn't look great. Marketing made what was a It is all on the celluloid to there is a lot of green screen.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Woah! There are just two easily accessible theaters for me, one for wide release films, one for smaller indies (which unfortunately gets crowded, even during obscure films, with people who leave their phones buzzing, even kids vaping—indie theaters are probably trendy with annoying people right now).

I've heard prices can vary by area (even within the same theater chain), but on discount Tuesdays that's the price of a standard showing for me too. Looking at the Cinemark website, if I input different zip codes, I get wildly different prices! Seattle costs about twice as much as it does here! I could see a film in Cinemark XD for less than a standard showing costs there.
Here's a map I found, of course can't verify how well-researched it is, and I bet numbers are inflated by the most urban parts of each state:
image.png

There's a good chance I will do the Tuesday viewing.
God I remember the good times fucking over MoviePass, able to see a movie a day for just, what was it, $10 or $15 a month? After two or three movies, it was already more than worth my money. I was constantly in theaters. Sometimes I'd watch movies I'd never even heard of, just because I had a MoviePass and I happened to be near the theater. Bled those bozos dry.
NY and California $15+. lol.

Puscifer

Cinema is on borrowed time.
There's no competing with what's at kid's fingertips today, literally hijacking their brain.

When I was young, between the ages 16 and 26, kids my age were seeing a movie a week. If not every week, then definitely every month. Kids today are not doing that. Not even close.

So how is cinema going to survive? On old folks, 45 and up? What happens when we're dead? Yup, you guessed correctly: that's when cinema officially dies (and it will die)
I think it's because nothing is interesting. I saw Dune 2, Challengers, Civil War, Blue Angels IMAX, Hereditary IMAX, and Alien in theaters in a 1 month period.

That was a shocking period for me cause I realized I haven't been to the theaters that much in years

Last edited:

Nydius

Gold Member

I don't even think us old farts will keep it afloat. I'm 47 and haven't been to a theater since before the pandemic. I just don't see the point. Films come to digital and streaming in record time and most people can afford large screen LCD/LED TVs with 2.1 (or better) soundbars. It's not like we're still in the days of 4-by-3 CRTs. Don't really need a top-of-the-line OLED or projector to have a quality movie experience at home (although it certainly helps).

Unless it's something I truly want to see on IMAX, I really see no need to go to a theater, pay exorbitant prices for tickets and concessions, just to sit in a room with other (often inconsiderate) people in order to watch a movie where the theater didn't properly adjust their audio/video profile so it blows out your eardrums one moment and is impossible to hear the next.

I can sit at home and enjoy the same movie with my blackout curtains closed and my soundbar adjusted for movie type and not have to hear some asshole on his phone half the movie. Not to mention pause when I need to go to bathroom...

I don't think theaters will completely die.
They'll become another niche product that appeals onto a small subset of enthusiasts (kinda like vinyl LPs).

Last edited:

SiahWester

Yeah the expense is also a factor in not going for sure.

There's certainly a benefit to seeing things in the cinema. Although if I want to see something on a huge imax screen my Quest 3 does a good job creating that experience with some nice headphones. Most especially with 3D movies. Another reason why I think cinema is eventually going to die someday though. When headsets get good enough for normies it'll completely replace the movie experience entirely.

Last edited:

Trilobit

Gold Member

Oh, I'm not American. In Sweden a ticket costs about $16 and that's the cheapest option. 6 bucks would be rather reasonable, but that's what it cost maybe in the late 90s.

Last edited:

Red5

Watched the 4DX version, great movie and experience and that's what cinema is about, getting my ass out of home and going out with friends, grabbing a bite after the movie etc... Ipad generation kids who will grow up with streaming the newest movies won't ever experience that.

Honestly I've watched more films in cinemas these past two years than streaming, I can't find the time to sit and stream but I can make plans to go out to the movies with friends.

Last edited:

Nydius

Gold Member
Can we stop with this false narrative. I paid $6 for a matinee ticket of the new planet of the apes at my local Cinemark.

Theaters have been significantly reducing the matinee window time or not even offering matinee options for certain movies they expect to be popular. It's hardly a false narrative. Not everyone can go to the movies during whatever ludicrous restrictions theaters have on their "matinee pricing" option. For example, my local (and only) theater designates matinee times as "select movies starting between 3-5pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays". You think many people are able to go to the cinema mid-afternoon during the work week?

xrnzaaas

Mad Max Fury Road wasn't a blockbuster hit either and yet they've still made it harder on themselves with many wrong decisions, including the attempt to appeal more to women while it's still mostly men who watch these kinds of movies.

Pop

The fact that Fury Road became a break out movie never made sense to me. Mad Max is a niche genre IP. The performance of Furiosa seems more in line with reasonable expectations. Fury Road being so successful seemed like a fluke.

Looking at the bigger picture, I don't see how we continue to get good, original films with the industry still stuck in this old system of Theaters first, then PPV and physical, then the subscription streaming services. It just seems like that pipeline requires movies to do numbers that most films can't handle, so they're not economically viable. Hence everything needing to be a summer blockbuster just to get greenlit.

And as someone with a modest home theater setup, I'm part of the problem. It's too easy to skip the theater and wait to watch the movie at home where I can pause it to go to the bathroom or refill a drink. And save $40 per movie...

Eh Fury Road didn't do that well in theaters. In fact the movie was way overhyped. And with Furiosa, looks like shit

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Theaters have been significantly reducing the matinee window time or not even offering matinee options for certain movies they expect to be popular. It's hardly a false narrative. Not everyone can go to the movies during whatever ludicrous restrictions theaters have on their "matinee pricing" option. For example, my local (and only) theater designates matinee times as "select movies starting between 3-5pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays". You think many people are able to go to the cinema mid-afternoon during the work week?
Even evening prices are a few bucks more. It's absolutely is a narrative.

Audiophile

They left it too long imo, should have ridden the momentum of Fury Road and put out a second movie with Mad Max to really cement the franchise again, then done a spin-off. Waiting over 9yrs then doing a Mad Max movie without Mad Max and a different actress playing the role of Furiosa was pushing it.

Also, I gotta be honest. I hate bad CGI and while it doesn't look terrible. Most of the shots from the first trailer have the Volume Screen DoF look and it completely takes me out of the movie.

Top Bottom