• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: The Wasteland unlikely as Furiosa bombs.

calistan

Gold Member
Last movie I saw in theatres was Avatar back in 2008. For me, dumbasses on their phones ruined the cinema for me. The light from the screens would always distract me, and take me out of the film. I miss the old days :-(
My first job was working at a cinema.....I hated going to theaters then, and that was more than twenty years ago. Only reason I ever went to a theater in my life is because friends or family would drag me. My home theater set up has better audio than my local cinema, and it has the added benefit of not having loud idiots talking during the film and opening phones.

COVID isn't why people hate going to the cinema, it's because of the assholes who you have to deal with at the cinema.

Sounds like the problem is the quality of cinema. I don't really like the multiplex experience as much, but I do go to those occasionally and have not been bothered by people on phones (mostly because they're 90% empty).

This is the cinema I go to, which has ruined all other cinemas for me. If your home setup is better than this, then more power to you, but here they serve meals and drinks at your seat. They show live events and director Q&As as well as basic films. The sofas are deep enough that you can't really see anyone in front of you.

These pictures are old, and it has recently been taken over and revamped without the little lamps on the tables, which is a shame. It would be a great loss if places like this went out of business because people prefer their 65" OLEDs.

EtP68Bo.jpeg

ajkMPT4.jpeg

jason10mm

Gold Member
Sounds like the problem is the quality of cinema. I don't really like the multiplex experience as much, but I do go to those occasionally and have not been bothered by people on phones (mostly because they're 90% empty).

This is the cinema I go to, which has ruined all other cinemas for me. If your home setup is better than this, then more power to you, but here they serve meals and drinks at your seat. They show live events and director Q&As as well as basic films. The sofas are deep enough that you can't really see anyone in front of you.

These pictures are old, and it has recently been taken over and revamped without the little lamps on the tables, which is a shame. It would be a great loss if places like this went out of business because people prefer their 65" OLEDs.

EtP68Bo.jpeg

ajkMPT4.jpeg
Yeah, the classy dinner theater is my preferred place as well. Alamo drafthouse with its slight retro vibe is nice though the ones near me are not as nice as some of the clones.

Sitting in a tight row theater (usually imax) is terrible now because if I, or anyone, has to get up mid flick it's a pain to squeeze past everyone to get to the aisle. Totally spoiled by well spaced reclining seats, good beer selection, and 21+ screening to weed out the kids and obnoxious teens.

poodaddy

Gold Member

EtP68Bo.jpeg

ajkMPT4.jpeg
Whoa. Gotta admit, that looks pretty snazzy man. Nah I've never been in a cinema like that, I don't think they're common in the states. I would absolutely use the cinema more if it has that type of vibe and atmosphere, can confirm. Unfortunately, nothing around Maine is anything remotely near that level of vibe.

calistan

Gold Member
Whoa. Gotta admit, that looks pretty snazzy man. Nah I've never been in a cinema like that, I don't think they're common in the states. I would absolutely use the cinema more if it has that type of vibe and atmosphere, can confirm. Unfortunately, nothing around Maine is anything remotely near that level of vibe.
I think (and hope) this is the future of cinema. Give people something they can't get at home. This place has four screens of about 70-90 capacity, a large bar and restaurant area, plus a smaller 'directors room' with 12 reclining leather seats and an anteroom for hosting parties.

My town is fortunate enough to also have a multiplex, which is less than half the cost, plus a vintage cinema that Wes Anderson liked enough to use as a location in Fantastic Mr Fox. But when I first moved here there were also two other old cinemas that have long since been repurposed. It would be a huge cultural loss if they all went away because Netflix is more convenient.

nXT5GGg.jpeg

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Mad max aint as complicated as Dune is why furiosa bombed, things like music, and film styles were crucial to Dune. Furiosa feels like a Netflix movie.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I know that Mad Max video game that came out a few years ago was pretty good. I bought it for five bucks on GOG.

ryan-gosling-blade-runner2049.gif

Mad Max fandom will join the Blade Runner fandom as we watch the I.P. fade into obscurity due to an underperforming sequel. And both parties will continue to make up a multitude of reasons as to why they bombed, but at least Blade Runner has the benefit of not being used as a prop in a culture war.

Who knows, maybe the Mad Max I.P. will get an anime or something like BR did 🤷‍♂️
I uh..got some news for you.

Mascot

Antisocial behaviour has become normalised. People increasingly feel they have a human right to behave any way they want to. It shouldn't be surprising that attending the cinema surrounded by strangers in a confined space is an absolutely abhorrent experience.

BlazinAm

This was the same talk that was going around the last movie but Fury Road was just hanging there during the summer. I don't see how this one does the same per say. The summer releases are a lot weaker this summer than nine years ago but the opening weekend start is a lot smaller this time around.

I'd assume this movie does well on digital release because of the reviews are quite high.

Mattyp

Gold Member
A decent enough tele sync has leaked now..in their best interest to go full digital in another 2 weeks and try and recoup. Sucks ass this might be the last one ever but having a better cinema at home I stopped going 5 years ago and no matter the movie that trend won't reverse.

I'll continue to hold until bluray quality drops however like everything, but bulk of the population like with the poor ticket sales good enough is good enough.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Luxury theaters like Alamo Draft House or Cineopolis that serve restaurant quality food serve alcohol, have superior picture quality and recliners are my jam. However with all the points mentioned above I’ve got to wonder if the luxury experience will become the norm or if it will die out only slightly before AMC multiplexes with sticky floors and annoying teens with laser pointers.

I love going to the movies but I’m going less and less because of the ever shortening theatrical release to streaming window unless I absolutely don’t want to be spoiled by social media.

My biggest fear is that we won’t get films as well made as Furiosa on Streaming if theaters totally die since subscriptions don’t justify that level of budget and I don’t always want to watch a series.

Yes! The theaters that have all the accoutrements where me and a friend or two can max and relax while watching a big spectacle movie are the shizney!

Currently, I haven't been to a theater AT ALL because I'm unemployed and searching. But it's been amazing every time I've gone!

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

EtP68Bo.jpeg

ajkMPT4.jpeg

That is SICK! The only place that looks like it compares is this boutique multiplex in Marietta... I forget the name because me and my homies only went once (2 moved out of town) but we had a TIME! Ole girl snuck in a bottle of wine even after the bottle we bought ran out... so we had a good time! It was her birthday so she paid for NOTHING! Believe it or not, it was her first time being treated for her birthday... Ever!

I am in full agreement with you on the experience of a really nice theater experience! The only time I don't mind the "uppity" ambiance is when I go to a 4D theater! It's a roller coaster ride without the vomiting LMBO!

FunkMiller

Gold Member
A decent enough tele sync has leaked now..in their best interest to go full digital in another 2 weeks and try and recoup. Sucks ass this might be the last one ever but having a better cinema at home I stopped going 5 years ago and no matter the movie that trend won't reverse.

It'll probably get the same treatment Blade Runner is getting: Shit out a TV series for 'content' on one of the streaming services.

Still think a cheap and cheerful 50 million dollar Old Man Max movie with Mel Gibson would have been the best best for this. No chance that doesn't make a profit.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Cinema is on borrowed time.
There's no competing with what's at kid's fingertips today, literally hijacking their brain.

When I was young, between the ages 16 and 26, kids my age were seeing a movie a week. If not every week, then definitely every month. Kids today are not doing that. Not even close.

So how is cinema going to survive? On old folks, 45 and up? What happens when we're dead? Yup, you guessed correctly: that's when cinema officially dies (and it will die)

Lol. People have been saying cinema will say for over 20 years now.

My 16 year old son goes to the cinema almost weekly with his mates or his GF. The wife and I also take my 6 year old nephew to the cinema a lot (we're going to see Garfield next) and he loves the cinema experience.

Cinema is doing fine. Dune 2 took in over 700million. Godzilla x Kong made more than any other Monsterverse film at the box office.
Last year Mario made over 1bn at the box office. Barbie made 1.5bn. Even Oppenheimer made very close to 1bn.

Just because the audience weren't into a Mad Max side character film doesn't mean cinema is doomed. Far from it.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
IMO, it's the ticket prices and unruly teens that makes any theater experience a bad one. Thankfully, I haven't experienced much of that. Even in multiplexes. But the prices are ridiculous! Especially if you want snacks and/or drinks.

The more boutique places have more reasonable food prices and they bring the food to you. Good beer/wine selection as well! So tickets and food prices balance out. Plus the added benefit of less teens being annoying... Because if they are, they're kicked out!

The more mainstream places are still ridiculous in prices which keeps a lot of adults away from those theaters.

FeralEcho

A Mad Max movie where the titular character is removed from the movie to make way for yet another girlboss movie as if there aren't 500 other movies and tv shows that already did that...and it fails with both the female and male audience??

Imshocked GIF by Luke Guy

It's almost like... You can't force a character down people's throats and expect it to be successful.No one wanted this premise in the first place but they decided to do it anyway because "fuck the fans what do they know".

Can't wait for the Lord of the Rings Gollum bomb where yet another movie people really want will force in another character no one cares about and ignore what the fans actually want and then the surprised look on their faces when no one goes to see their movie.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
A Mad Max movie where the titular character is removed from the movie to make way for yet another girlboss movie as if there aren't 500 other movies and tv shows that already did that...and it fails with both the female and male audience??

Imshocked GIF by Luke Guy

It's almost like... You can't force a character down people's throats and expect it to be successful.No one wanted this premise in the first place but they decided to do it anyway because "fuck the fans what do they know".

Can't wait for the Lord of the Rings Gollum bomb where yet another movie people really want will force in another character no one cares about and ignore what the fans actually want and then the surprised look on their faces when no one goes to see their movie.
1- Your opinions on Mad Max: For what it's worth, this is was a worthwhile story. Dismissing it as a "girlboss movie" is reductive in this case. Furiosa is certainly tough, but not infallible.

2- Your opinions on Lord of the Rings. What sort of LotR movie would you like? While I agree a Gollum movie isn't really needed, as someone who is familiar with the story on a very deep level, there is material there for something interesting, but only in the context of the larger tale. I don't think we need a 90-120 minute movie about it.

Woggleman

Gold Member
When there is a justified backlash often times the ones who bear the brunt are the ones who do not deserve it. This is the case with Furiosa. It follows more in the tradition of Sarah Conner and Ripley instead of Marvel, Star Wars and Disney.

Sonik

2- Your opinions on Lord of the Rings. What sort of LotR movie would you like? While I agree a Gollum movie isn't really needed, as someone who is familiar with the story on a very deep level, there is material there for something interesting, but only in the context of the larger tale. I don't think we need a 90-120 minute movie about it.

I'm pretty sure the public wants the talentless Hollywood fucks to stay as far away from LotR as humanly possible. Hollywood made its bed the last 10+ years, they shouldn't be surprised everything they make now is assumed to be crap or have some kind of obnoxious agenda. And is it that hard for them to fucking stop milking beloved IPs especially given that they keep making the public angrier and angrier because of their arrogance and incompetence?

simpatico

Luxury theaters like Alamo Draft House or Cineopolis that serve restaurant quality food serve alcohol, have superior picture quality and recliners are my jam. However with all the points mentioned above I’ve got to wonder if the luxury experience will become the norm or if it will die out only slightly before AMC multiplexes with sticky floors and annoying teens with laser pointers.

I love going to the movies but I’m going less and less because of the ever shortening theatrical release to streaming window unless I absolutely don’t want to be spoiled by social media.

My biggest fear is that we won’t get films as well made as Furiosa on Streaming if theaters totally die since subscriptions don’t justify that level of budget and I don’t always want to watch a series.
Ugh I'm the opposite. I want a theater that bans any eating. I can't stand listening to be people chew and mouth breathe during quiet parts. It stays on my mind for the rest of the film and immersion turns to abject disgust. Honestly we don't even needs drinks. There's a lot of American stereotypes to unpack here.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
I'm pretty sure the public wants the talentless Hollywood fucks to stay as far away from LotR as humanly possible. Hollywood made its bed the last 10+ years, they shouldn't be surprised everything they make now is assumed to be crap or have some kind of obnoxious agenda. And is it that hard for them to fucking stop milking beloved IPs especially given that they keep making the public angrier and angrier because of their arrogance and incompetence?
I don't disagree. There is too much mainstream heat on LotR right now, so anything made right now would be too vanilla and toothless.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

So the SAME people who made the LOTR movies are talentless hacks? That's certainly a take.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Ugh I'm the opposite. I want a theater that bans any eating. I can't stand listening to be people chew and mouth breathe during quiet parts. It stays on my mind for the rest of the film and immersion turns to abject disgust. Honestly we don't even needs drinks. There's a lot of American stereotypes to unpack here.
Sounds like you have misophonia. That's a YOU problem. Stay home. Lol

Tams

In a way, I live how they took a strong, clever, cool, and popular female side character and made a shit film that no one asked.

State of this world.

I'll go to the cinema to see excellent films or ones that I eagerly want to see. Oppenheimer was the most recent. Mad Max was. This... bugger off.

IDKFA

2- Your opinions on Lord of the Rings. What sort of LotR movie would you like?

None. The Peter Jackson adaptation was lightning in a bottle. Everything after that has been trash and frankly disrespectful to Tolkien's work.

Rather than further thrashing the legacy of Tolkien and pissing on English culture, maybe Hollywood could adapt a million other fantasy books or even come up with something original for a change!

Red5

In a way, I live how they took a strong, clever, cool, and popular female side character and made a shit film that no one asked.

State of this world.

I'll go to the cinema to see excellent films or ones that I eagerly want to see. Oppenheimer was the most recent. Mad Max was. This... bugger off.

It's probably one of the best Mad Max films, on par with Fury Road, people who skip it because of the actress are missing out.

Eiknarf

Lol. People have been saying cinema will say for over 20 years now.

My 16 year old son goes to the cinema almost weekly with his mates or his GF. The wife and I also take my 6 year old nephew to the cinema a lot (we're going to see Garfield next) and he loves the cinema experience.

Cinema is doing fine. Dune 2 took in over 700million. Godzilla x Kong made more than any other Monsterverse film at the box office.
Last year Mario made over 1bn at the box office. Barbie made 1.5bn. Even Oppenheimer made very close to 1bn.

Just because the audience weren't into a Mad Max side character film doesn't mean cinema is doomed. Far from it.
Just because you and your son go often doesn’t mean everyone else is. Your case is anecdotal. It’s not the norm these days any more.
Besides, if you read my follow up posts you’ll see that “cinema is on borrowed time” means 40 years from now. When all of US who still kinda appreciate it are dead, so too then will cinema change and be like a premium Broadway show thing

Last edited:

IDKFA

Just because you and your son go often doesn’t mean everyone else is. Your case is anecdotal. It’s not the norm these days any more.
Besides, if you read my follow up posts you’ll see that “cinema is on borrowed time” means 40 years from now. When all of US who still kinda appreciate it are dead, so too then will cinema change and be like a premium Broadway show thing

My son goes with a lot of his mates and his GF. Lots of kids his age go the cinema. I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but I'm in the UK. Might be different in the US if that's where you're from.

I don't buy that cinema is on borrowed time, especially when you look at the money films are making (see my original post). Also there was a point in time where people thought the cinema would kill off the theater, or TV would kill the radio. Neither happened.

Cinema is doing fine and although it's almost impossible to make a prediction 40 years into the future, I'm confident cinema will still be around.

Sonik

So the SAME people who made the LOTR movies are talentless hacks? That's certainly a take.

It's been 20+ years, it's definitely not the same people. Even if Peter Jackson hadn't been reduced to a producer position, even if he was a director, it would still not be made by the same people or with the same mentality. There are so many layers decisions for these movies go through and every single one of them is poisoned now with modern Hollywood's arrogance and stupidity. But sure, try to pretend it's exactly the same because Peter Jackson has a producer credit, that's certainly a take.

Rockondevil

Last movie I saw in theatres was Avatar back in 2008. For me, dumbasses on their phones ruined the cinema for me. The light from the screens would always distract me, and take me out of the film. I miss the old days :-(
Not singling you out, just chose this comment about the phones.

Not sure where you’re from, but I see this comment from a lot of Americans online.
I go to the cinemas still, less regularly than a few years ago due to having a little kid taking up my time now, but I’ve never experienced in all my years people on their phones.
Perhaps it’s just here in Australia? No idea. But I just don’t see it happening here.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
It's been 20+ years, it's definitely not the same people. Even if Peter Jackson hadn't been reduced to a producer position, even if he was a director, it would still not be made by the same people or with the same mentality. There are so many layers decisions for these movies go through and every single one of them is poisoned now with modern Hollywood's arrogance and stupidity. But sure, try to pretend it's exactly the same because Peter Jackson has a producer credit, that's certainly a take.

Um... He's writing it along with his wife and their writing partner from the LOTR movies...

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Not singling you out, just chose this comment about the phones.

Not sure where you’re from, but I see this comment from a lot of Americans online.
I go to the cinemas still, less regularly than a few years ago due to having a little kid taking up my time now, but I’ve never experienced in all my years people on their phones.
Perhaps it’s just here in Australia? No idea. But I just don’t see it happening here.

Not just you in Australia ... I'm in America and I've never experienced this on the phone thing while watching a movie. Maybe texting every once in a while but not carrying on a whole voice conversation.

Mattyp

Gold Member
It'll probably get the same treatment Blade Runner is getting: Shit out a TV series for 'content' on one of the streaming services.

Still think a cheap and cheerful 50 million dollar Old Man Max movie with Mel Gibson would have been the best best for this. No chance that doesn't make a profit.
The masses like us would eat the shit up if Gibson being back, the 'powers' that be but won't allow it sadly.

What could have been.

CGNoire

EtP68Bo.jpeg

ajkMPT4.jpeg
$pricing?....looks awesome

CGNoire

I personally never understood why people want to eat and drink while watching a film in the theater? It's like what you can't go 2 hours without eating or drinking?

Top Bottom