• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The names are all fine on their own as names for dual lands of those colors, but: "Sheltered Thicket" *shows a thicket which is completely exposed in every direction*

I think its just the first two. Irrigated Farmland is about eighteen syllables too long to be comfortable and Fetid Pools when we already have Fetid Heath...like I hope they're not running that low on names for black lands

bigkrev

Article also says that Astral Slide and Lightning Rift are not in the set due to templating issues (they both trigger when ANY player cycles- I remember playing Rift in the sideboard of my Red LD deck then as a bullet against Slide!), but that we will get payoff cards

Maledict

Article also says that Astral Slide and Lightning Rift are not in the set due to templating issues (they both trigger when ANY player cycles- I remember playing Rift in the sideboard of my Red LD deck then as a bullet against Slide!), but that we will get payoff cards

Can I just say I really hate R&Ds fetish for not having effects that hit both players at once? I understand some stuff can be confusing, but there are numerous effects which are fine affecting all players, or that are better that way - the shroud versus hexproof argument, or Slivers...

83c6991765b9b6af337cf1c196cde789.png

I think its just the first two. Irrigated Farmland is about eighteen syllables too long to be comfortable and Fetid Pools when we already have Fetid Heath...like I hope they're not running that low on names for black lands

They're running out of names for all the colors, just look at dual land names over the last five years.

It would've been lame to reprint these exact cards anyway since all they could really do was recreate the exact type of deck they were at the head of the first time. It's better to have new ones that hopefully have some interesting new effects and maybe support a different color pairing.

y2dvd

With all the cycle cards, I'm keeping my eyes on Perpetual Timepiece. Would be pretty sweet if they printed an expensive red enchantment that dealt 2 dmg whenever you cycled.

Lucario

Would love if we saw something that was a desert, but not Desert proper. That card sucks.

Desert is a great card! Saw plenty of competitive play last time it was in Standard. Getting two out is backbreaking for aggro, and it's such a small deckbuilding cost to do so much.

A_Dang

Total Tangent:

I'm participating in a "Fat Pack Sealed" night to celebrate a friends birthday tonight. Each person gets to make a sealed deck from a fat pack of their choice (or up to ten packs from a set). I picked Khans, birthday boy picked RTR, and I'm guessing almost all the other participants will do Aether Revolt or Kaladesh. Masters and Conspiracy sets are off limits.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of event, any suggestions? I'm really looking forward to it, as its probably as close to "Booster Box Sealed" as I'll get, and I think it will be interesting to see how completely different sets square off against each other.

Those bicycle lands are going to be expensive right? They go in every EDH deck, will be popular in standard, and will likely see some modern play?

Rafy

Good thing I jumped on the Fluctuator playset before it spikes on MKM. Got a playset for 20 yesterday and it shipped today.

Question, by using Fluctuator I will be able to cycle the lands for free right?

OnPoint

IMO Fluctuator is gonna be like Didgeridoo was when Theros hit. Won't be ultimately worth shit unless it ends up in standard.

Santiako

Yeah, the fluctuator spike is just speculators. The card is unplayable in legacy/vintage and sees the fringest of fringe play in EDH.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Total Tangent:

I'm participating in a "Fat Pack Sealed" night to celebrate a friends birthday tonight. Each person gets to make a sealed deck from a fat pack of their choice (or up to ten packs from a set). I picked Khans, birthday boy picked RTR, and I'm guessing almost all the other participants will do Aether Revolt or Kaladesh. Masters and Conspiracy sets are off limits.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of event, any suggestions? I'm really looking forward to it, as its probably as close to "Booster Box Sealed" as I'll get, and I think it will be interesting to see how completely different sets square off against each other.
You're just going to smash them. With 9 packs you can just play all 5 colors and every rare you open.

Those bicycle lands are going to be expensive right? They go in every EDH deck, will be popular in standard, and will likely see some modern play?

And the Invocations will probably suck up less total value this time around -- but they're still rares in a post-mythic, high-volume set so their max price ceiling is still pretty low.

Bicycle lands is the perfect name for these lands.

Not according to the overdramatic whining from the SCG set on Twitter!

y2dvd

Unless there's some card that does something absurd when cycling occurs, I see these lands being on par with the current duals, around $5. I could see it going up once it rotates out.

No, no, no. Don't you all remember that this is serious business? No fun is allowed when nicknaming land cycles. Khet-lands is the perfect name as it's very uncreative and provides no info on what they do.

A_Dang

You're just going to smash them. With 9 packs you can just play all 5 colors and every rare you open.

Color flexibility was the reason I picked Khans. My main concern is removal compared to the creatures and artifacts that the other sets provide. I figure if I can get the games to go long enough for me to drop my (hopefully) powerful rares that I'll do alright, I'm just not convinced that a more focused 2 color deck wont just run me over before I get my deck going.

Either way, cracking packs is fun, hanging out is fun and playing is fun, so its a win-win-win-lose at worst.

IMO Fluctuator is gonna be like Didgeridoo was when Theros hit. Won't be ultimately worth shit unless it ends up in standard.

I like this comparison. I hope they fall back to something like $3.50 or whatever. I actually wanted to get some Fluctuators a long while ago but didn't since I didn't have a thing to do with them at the time. Oh well. I'll just do a Buyback deck instead with Memory Crystal :)

if RAV came out in 2017: "shocklands" is terrible, it is too cutesy and requires people to know that this one specific card does 2 damage! the proper name is "ravnica land-type duals"

red13th

I have no idea what to do to fit those blue bicycle lands in my cube. Gold sections are so hard. Seriously considering cutting Reflector Mage but that card is such a beating... Shadowmage Infiltrator is a easy cut though (counting Colonnade and Tar Pit as spells)

kirblar

if RAV came out in 2017: "shocklands" is terrible, it is too cutesy and requires people to know that this one specific card does 2 damage! the proper name is "ravnica land-type duals"
"onesyllable"-lands are fine- Shock-land, man-lands, fast-lands, check-lands.

The whole "lets pick an obnoxious name that's too long to say and doesn't communicate anything well" thing recently is new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom