• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Akim

Banned
I recently started playing again and this is the first time I've used the planeswalker points interface. It brings back good memories to look at all of the old events I played in.

Makes me realized how long (on and off) I've been playing. My first sanctioned event was 1998-08-01, when I was 11!

red13th

I was looking at the Mirage visual spoiler because Mirage is so beautiful and I came across Unyaro Griffin. I didn't even remember this card tbh but looks like it received major errata.

44.jpg

It counters any red instant or sorcery now. Old Magic funcional errata was crazy heh.
BTW Mirage IS as beautiful as I remembered.

It counters any red instant or sorcery now. Old Magic funcional errata was crazy heh.

A lot of the absolute worst cases of card text/Oracle mismatch are due to old core sets, where they would do basically random functional errata because the old way a card worked was "too confusing" or "too good" or "too hard to make work correctly." This one got reprinted in 6E with the broader text and they always default to the latest/most widely seen text for a card.

Another similar piece of weirdness: for some crazy reason they changed Fungusaur to only work once per turn in Revised, kept printing it that way until Fifth Edition, and then fixed it again in 8E.

Mirage is easily and dramatically the visual high point of old Magic. It has classic artists like Kaja Foglio, Quinton Hoover, Anson Maddocks and Drew Tucker doing some of their absolute best work; introduces a ton of all-time great artists like Terese Nielsen, Kev Walker, Adam Rex, Donato Giancola, John Avon, and Rebecca Guay; brought in some fantastic established artists from elsewhere in genre illustration like DiTerlizzi and John Coulthart, or from comics like Geof Darrow, Mike Dringenberg, and John Bolton. It also gave the artists a great theme to work with and a great deal of freedom to execute it. Nothing gets close until after they get over their top-down "magepunk" brand push in the mid-2000s.

Santiako

This Kelvin Chew - Owen T matchup has been amazing. Chew played masterfully and ended up showing how fucking busted the Scarab God is haha

red13th

It's funny that for cube managers Dimir was relatively underpowered especially if you didn't play Tezzeret. Then for two sets in a row the most busted cards are easily in Dimir colours, and they also fit basically any archetype. Pretty crazy.

Mirage is easily and dramatically the visual high point of old Magic. It has classic artists like Kaja Foglio, Quinton Hoover, Anson Maddocks and Drew Tucker doing some of their absolute best work; introduces a ton of all-time great artists like Terese Nielsen, Kev Walker, Adam Rex, Donato Giancola, John Avon, and Rebecca Guay; brought in some fantastic established artists from elsewhere in genre illustration like DiTerlizzi and John Coulthart, or from comics like Geof Darrow, Mike Dringenberg, and John Bolton. It also gave the artists a great theme to work with and a great deal of freedom to execute it. Nothing gets close until after they get over their top-down "magepunk" brand push in the mid-2000s.

Definitely. The poetic flavour text is also perfect. Everything flavour-wise regarding Mirage is outstanding.

Is that a buff griffin-man flexing on me? Like doing some motorcycle-revving flexes. That's cornball, griffin-man, don't even think about asking me about your pythons.

Ashodin

Giancola DESTROYS Mirage/Visions. fuck man

This Kelvin Chew - Owen T matchup has been amazing. Chew played masterfully and ended up showing how fucking busted the Scarab God is haha

can confirm

Also won standard showdown with RW exert. ramunap red can't handle all these GAINZ (I have tons of lifegain in the deck)

Justin

My 3-0, 6-0 draft deck from last night.

After doing a few drafts I think the order of the tribes in draft is Merfolk, Vampires, Pirates, Dinosaurs. Merfolk and Vampires are pretty close but I think the abundance of low cost common cards with tribal synergy push Merkolf ahead.

Edit: Huey just lost his first match and is now 12-1. BTW Scarab God is up to 45.

Ashodin

My 3-0, 6-0 draft deck from last night.

After doing a few drafts I think the order of the tribes in draft is Merfolk, Vampires, Pirates, Dinosaurs. Merfolk and Vampires are pretty close but I think the abundance of low cost common cards with tribal synergy push Merkolf ahead.

Edit: Huey just lost his first match and is now 12-1. BTW Scarab God is up to 45.

bruh Scarab God is insane.

Also glad to see you on the side of the Legion of Dusk.

May immortality be forever in your thoughts

lupin23rd

Curious if there is a "hierarchy" in terms of which FBB cards are more valuable or sought after than others?

Specifically looking at the dual lands.

I was always seeing German duals at slightly higher prices than the Italian and French versions, but I'm currently trying to get a set of one of each in Italian (wanted the original tap symbol) and it feels like I'm seeing a lot more stock in other languages. Missing Tundra and Volcanic at this point and have seen several in French but not much recently in Italian unless I want heavily played or jump into eBay auctions.

Firemind

Curious if there is a "hierarchy" in terms of which FBB cards are more valuable or sought after than others?

Specifically looking at the dual lands.

I was always seeing German duals at slightly higher prices than the Italian and French versions, but I'm currently trying to get a set of one of each in Italian (wanted the original tap symbol) and it feels like I'm seeing a lot more stock in other languages. Missing Tundra and Volcanic at this point and have seen several in French but not much recently in Italian unless I want heavily played or jump into eBay auctions.
German is definitely worth more. They have better names than French and Italian anyway.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Feeling really down today and trying to watch some Magic to stave it off. I'm having a hard time keeping my anxiety under control. This thread is one of the places I feel better.

Firemind

Feeling really down today and trying to watch some Magic to stave it off. I'm having a hard time keeping my anxiety under control. This thread is one of the places I feel better.
Watching the world championship has been pretty relaxing so far.

Helps that twitch chat is pretty heavily moderated.

Ashodin

Hey you're really valued here, our Magic community here isn't large so you're definitely well-loved and wanted here.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Search for Azcanta rose quickly! Glad I got in for $2.

And dammit, I wanted Huey to go undefeated.

I played a EDH game today that got really out of control: So the player before me wiped all creatures, I had Ashes of the Abhorrent and gained 60+ life. Then, I hit the board with Armageddon (I had 6 lands and everyone else had 8+), thinking that I would creature rush since I had five lands in hand just waiting to play Armageddon. I, however, forgot that you could lose with 21 point of commander damage and got destroyed by the next two players who created a bunch of discard tokens. lol And nobody really took that Armageddon well...

And hang in there, HK-47.

kirblar

Search was clearly going to be really good, I just wasn't sure how much the "this probably isn't a 4x" thing would limit it price wise, cause it isn't like Jace VP.

All I wanted was for the foil to drop.

I don't like search all that much in standard mainboards. It's so bad vs Ramunap Red and that matchup is terrible enough already.

It completely wreck in the control mirror though. I opened the 1 copy I intend to play.

I also put search in almost every Blue EDH deck I have, it really is blue rampant growth there.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Thought Owen had that match, but card advantage is a bitch.

Search was clearly going to be really good, I just wasn't sure how much the "this probably isn't a 4x" thing would limit it price wise, cause it isn't like Jace VP.

It's already up to $8, or $14 if you are SCG. lol

Santiako

Top 4:

William "Huey" Jensen - USA (Temur Energy)
Josh Utter-Leyton - USA (UB Control)
Javier Domínguez - Spain (Ramunap Red)
Kelvin Chew - Singapore (UB Control)

So happy for Javier, hope he takes it all :D

kirblar

They should do team unified modern or standard instead. Sealed is fine but boring to watch.
Unified formats are bad. Can't test w/ people not going to the event, can't use data from elsewhere, and players can't use the lists.

Team Sealed is one of the best formats in magic, and the decks are normally far stronger.

Santiako

Unified formats are bad. Can't test w/ people not going to the event, can't use data from elsewhere, and players can't use the lists.

Team Sealed is one of the best formats in magic, and the decks are normally far stronger.

Yeah but this is a weird side thing, so they should use a weird side format that is fun to watch.

Violet_0

Banned
I sort of get the impression that the Ixalan meta is mostly solved already, even though it just started. I don't see any breakout cards that could define a new deck type, and none of the tribes is good enough, for now anyway

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Went to my FLGS, traded in my unused commons. Unfortunately couldn't get any Lightning Strikes or Otepec Huntmasters. I got a fourth Savage Stomp, a few uncommons, and some cheap rares (2x Verdant Sun's Avatar and 2x Priest of the Wakening Suns).

Went to another FLGS that's a bit farther out and they weren't even selling singles yet. Blech.

Is it worth it to buy uncommon singles online? I usually dislike buying stuff blind online when it's the kind of thing where quality can vary, but just spending the gas money trying to catch these cards seems like it's almost more than its worth.

Ashodin

Went to my FLGS, traded in my unused commons. Unfortunately couldn't get any Lightning Strikes or Otepec Huntmasters. I got a fourth Savage Stomp, a few uncommons, and some cheap rares (2x Verdant Sun's Avatar and 2x Priest of the Wakening Suns).

Went to another FLGS that's a bit farther out and they weren't even selling singles yet. Blech.

Is it worth it to buy uncommon singles online? I usually dislike buying stuff blind online when it's the kind of thing where quality can vary, but just spending the gas money trying to catch these cards seems like it's almost more than its worth.

I buy from TCG player all the time. Even uncommons.

Card Boy

Banned

Dude check out TCG Player. Its very much worth it no matter where you are in the world. Most Ixalan commons and uncommons are anywhere between 2 and 15 cents each. Fast and cheap postage too.

Make sure you hit that optimize cart button to get the cheapest prices.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Man, Search for Azcanta rose quickly! Glad I got in for $2.

And dammit, I wanted Huey to go undefeated.

I played a EDH game today that got really out of control: So the player before me wiped all creatures, I had Ashes of the Abhorrent and gained 60+ life. Then, I hit the board with Armageddon (I had 6 lands and everyone else had 8+), thinking that I would creature rush since I had five lands in hand just waiting to play Armageddon. I, however, forgot that you could lose with 21 point of commander damage and got destroyed by the next two players who created a bunch of discard tokens. lol And nobody really took that Armageddon well...

And hang in there, HK-47.
Thanks. Just saw Blade Runner. It was pretty incredible in the theater.

I thought UB control was a bad metagame call. I guess I need to see the decklists

Justin

Thanks. Just saw Blade Runner. It was pretty incredible in the theater.

I thought UB control was a bad metagame call. I guess I need to see the decklists

I have a feeling control is going to win. LSV said the PGO guys told him it ls pretty much impossible for the energy decks to win pre-sideboards and the finals are best of five with no sideboards till the third game. Huey would what to win three in a row to take it.

Top Bottom