• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Making of Gran Turismo (PS1)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This young Shu?

m3cIT1P.png

Last edited:

bobone

Awesome little video.

I guess a guy that almost kills himself going 130mph in his Skyline is perfect for making a game like this.

scalman

Loved those intros of gt1,2,3,4 . Was rewatching them so much back then for music and for action. Cant stand GTS intro. Played GT1 like every day until gt2 rly every single day in eve after school and work. No other game i played so much as i did gt1,2 . Wish gt7 go back to its roots for car lovers not race lovers. That huge difference. Car test on track . Not online races.
I remeber dev said that he was sleeping in studio until finished game.

Last edited:

GamesAreFun

Banned
Fantastic, shows how revolutionary Gran Turismo was, they thought of almost everything for the first game!

Gran Turismo gets remarkably little attention in the gaming industry, considering the huge numbers it sells.

sublimit

Banned
If you weren't old enough back in 1998 to experience Gran Turismo when it came out i'm afraid it's impossible to understand the impact this game had. I was lucky enough to be old enough to buy a Playstation with my own money and experience Gran Turismo with an adult's eye and realize that the things GT did were unpreceded in racing games at the time. The physics,the graphics and the customization were mind blowing.

But the generational leap from GT2 to GT3 i think was even more impressive. I think around GT3's time Polyphony Digital was at their absolute peak and after that they never managed to show the same level of ambition.Both GT5 as well as GT Sport were underwhelming when compared to the jump from GT2 to GT3.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
If you weren't old enough back in 1998 to experience Gran Turismo when it came out i'm afraid it's impossible to understand the impact this game had. I was lucky enough to be old enough to buy a Playstation with my own money and experience Gran Turismo with an adult's critical eye and realize that the things GT did were unpreceded in racing games at the time. The physics,the graphics and the customization were mind blowing.

But the generational leap from GT2 to GT3 i think was even more impressive. I think around GT3's time Polyphony Digital was at their absolute peak and after that they never managed to show the same level ambition.Both GT5 as well as GT Sport were underwhelming when compared to the jump from GT2 to GT3.

These days I bitch about how we don't have arcade racers anymore, and I mean it, but back then, we didn't have Gran Turismo. And yes the minute GT came out, it made every other racer look obsolete. It was absolutely revolutionary.

GT2 is maybe my favorite racer ever.

Last edited:
Yeah I was 13 when GT1 came out so naturally I came from the Need for Speed camp. I was mesmerized by the replays that looked TV like and the fake reflections. It did take some getting used to but it won me over. I agree sublimit sublimit that GT3 was the biggest leap but for me GT4 was THE BEST, everything refined and even bigger. Since then they never captured that WOW factor. And I think its due to technology advancing. Instead of games getting bigger, they were getting smaller number of cars, tracks etc because it was so time consuming to model with new tech and 1000s of more polygons all the cars all over again. You would think theyd hire more people if thats the issue but what do I know. What Ill never forget is the worst decision on planet earth to have in GT5 premium VS standard cars....its like giving me a half baked game it seemed. Next gen and potato mode next to eachother lol.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Yeah I was 13 when GT1 came out so naturally I came from the Need for Speed camp. I was mesmerized by the replays that looked TV like and the fake reflections. It did take some getting used to but it won me over. I agree sublimit sublimit that GT3 was the biggest leap but for me GT4 was THE BEST, everything refined and even bigger. Since then they never captured that WOW factor. And I think its due to technology advancing. Instead of games getting bigger, they were getting smaller number of cars, tracks etc because it was so time consuming to model with new tech and 1000s of more polygons all the cars all over again. You would think theyd hire more people if thats the issue but what do I know. What Ill never forget is the worst decision on planet earth to have in GT5 premium VS standard cars....its like giving me a half baked game it seemed. Next gen and potato mode next to eachother lol.
I agree with everything you said. GT5's mix of premium with standard cars was very disappointing for a studio of PD's caliber. It also had many other problems especially at launch.

My only problem with GT4 were the incredibly long loading times when compared with those of GT3. Other than that i agree it was better in every other aspect.

Last edited:

Old Retro

As much as I loved Gran Turismo, I remember GT2 being unfinished and full of glitches. That being said, that's the game that ushered in the new millennium for me.

Gp1

What most younger ppl don't realize is to have something like a hundred cars in a semi-simulator enviroment was unthinkable at the late 90's. Most games dealt with with less then 10 to a maximum of 20.

And then came Gran Turismo 2 with 400 cars...

It's a shame that they had to cut so much content in GT2. Until today there are people fixing and restoring content on GT2. (gran turismo 2 plus)

ps: And just to make things clear here. Moon over the castle soundtrack > US/Europe soundtrack

edit: great channel for so few views

Last edited:
Top Bottom