• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man kidnapped 11-year-old girl he met on Roblox (child found)

Draugoth

Gold Member

An 11-year-old New Jersey girl was kidnapped by a man she met through the online gaming platform Roblox, authorities said.

The Jersey girl disappeared from her home in Wayne on Sept. 10, according to Passaic County Prosecutor Camelia Valdes.

She was reported missing at 6:45 a.m. from the area of Route 46 and Old Turnpike Road in Wayne, according to a statement from Valdes and Wayne Police Chief Jack McNiff.

Wayne police located the child “a short time after she went missing,” about 135 miles away in the Wilmington, Del., suburb of Bear, McNiff and Valdes said.

Darius Matylewich, 27, of Bear, allegedly contacted the girl while both played Roblox, which allows users to program games and play games created by other users, according to a report.

He was charged with kidnapping and endangering the welfare of a child.

Roni

Gold Member
Damn, it's getting to where people can't be safe when they go in to the online realm these days. Maybe the Amish were right all along...
More and more, mainstream internet will lose its anonymity component over shit like this. TOR and such will become the only alternatives...

Here is how to deal with all pedophiles in 3 easy steps:

1. Cut off their genitals and have them forcefed to the bastard.

2. Have them gang raped by a group of big, burly prisoners.

3. Toss them into a pit of lions to be eaten alive.

I wonder if bringing Roblox to PlayStation was a mistake, everything I've read about the game suggests it's a hunting ground for these monsters.

Portugeezer

hey-everyone-drake-bell.gif

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
You can set Roblox to only allow parental chosen friends for chat.
This is true. I use to let my step daughter play Roblox on a locked down account and I always wondered about the creeps hanging out there, the potential child rapists hanging out online just to meet kids. She can’t play it anymore due to my wife’s concerns. I used JinKazama in my tag, hoping to scare off at least some of them. Before I locked it down the account would get multiple friend requests, but I recon kids use it for gambling and trading items for cash.

Last edited:
Here is how to deal with all pedophiles in 3 easy steps:

1. Cut off their genitals and have them forcefed to the bastard.

2. Have them gang raped by a group of big, burly prisoners.

3. Toss them into a pit of lions to be eaten alive.

I wonder if bringing Roblox to PlayStation was a mistake, everything I've read about the game suggests it's a hunting ground for these monsters.
so.....Jim was right?

my 10 year old niece knows about this shit. She showed me a video of a creep trying to do adult things with a girl inside roblox. It was like a drama in the Latin American Roblox community.

MarkMe2525

so.....Jim was right?
This is a parent issue, not a game issue. I will concede that there are many parents who can't be bothered with monitoring their children's activities on the internet. In many cases it's not that they are not aware of the parental controls, but they are just too lazy to put the 15 minutes in to protect their children from exposure to these things.

Edit: i wanted to add that it doesn't stop at parental controls and the parent should regularly be checking in on their kids digital footprint.

Last edited:
You can set Roblox to only allow parental chosen friends for chat.
Yep, I’m always surprised younger parents aren’t more diligent. Like back when we were kids and there were less protections and our parents didn’t know about any of this, sure, but how are people still screwing this up in 2023?

Neon Xenon

It's disheartening to see a game being used to prey on innocent children, and it can't be stressed enough that parents need to take steps and use any tools available to protect their own kids. I hate reading about shit like this, but it needs to be brought to light.

Safe bet that this is far from the first time that this has happened with Roblox.

Roblox is just a big no in our house. Besides the creepy grown-ups the game is filled with the worst predatory pricing for all kinds of "games". My kids have a large selection of actual games that I've allowed on their console profiles, and they will just have to miss out on what their friends are doing in Roblox.

Rhazkul

This is one of the reasons why i am extremely suspicious of grown men playing online games aimed at children.
Minecraft, Fortnite, Among Us, Roblox, Call of Duty, ...the list goes on. Lots of oppertunities to groom.
If i ever have children, and they wanna game, it will only be offline single player games (probably a Nintendo console).
Everything else is a no. Heck, i wouldn't even give them a smartphone until 12-14 or so...a dumbphone is enough for emergency calls.
When i see 7 year olds with an iphone and an unlimited data plan, i just cringe internally...

Last edited:

Rhazkul

Damn, it's getting to where people can't be safe when they go in to the online realm these days. Maybe the Amish were right all along...
This happens because parents literally don't care what their children are doing, watching, playing. No time or motivation or spine to supervise, set limits, boundaries or simply saying "No."
I have seen 7 year olds with iphones and data plans...to me this is insane. You don't have to live like an amish, but a little more awareness and parenting would be nice.

This is one of the reasons why i am extremely suspicious of grown men playing online games aimed at children.
Minecraft, Fortnite, Among Us, Roblox, Call of Duty, ...the list goes on. Lots of oppertunities to groom.
If i ever have children, and they wanna game, it will only be offline single player games (probably a Nintendo console).
Everything else is a no. Heck, i wouldn't even give them a smartphone until 12-14 or so...a dumbphone is enough for emergency calls.
When i see 7 year olds with an iphone and an unlimited data plan, i just cringe internally...
Agreed, however I think Call of Duty probably doesn't belong in that list, most of the friends who I know play it are adults. Minecraft is also kind of genre defying and there is a huge creator community that basically uses it like digital Lego sets, but I could definitely see a lot of predators in that game.

My 11 year old plays Roblox a lot. Just have to be involved as a parent and make sure they understand what they can do and say with strangers online. Though it’s unfair to blame the parents here, for all we know they were attentive and involved. It’s a grown man vs a kid.

Idk if you can rehabilitate what’s wrong with this dude. It’s like saying you can rehabilitate being gay.

Rhazkul

I think Call of Duty probably doesn't belong in that list

It was a (bad) joke...it's not a game for children, but it's very popular among teens.
And while Minecraft started as a niche game it quickly became every child's favorite game because it's basically digital Lego today.
I would probably allow my child to play it, but only offline.

Top Bottom