• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

many great games TOTK still my true game of the year

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
dont care what no people tell me REAL TIME PHYSICS DEEP GAMEPLAY better then wait and see crpg menu combat RE4 not as good as OG its all true Im sorry my friends

john-candy-scared.gif

Kuranghi

I put TotK on the backburner not cause I wasn't enjoying it but I'd rather wait for Switch Poo and see how it looks and runs on that. No rush to burn through it like BotW.

I played BotW for 406 hours between launch and end of 2018 so theres that too. I was playing Hitman 2016 (and then 2018) at the same time and I put 1800 hours total into them so that took up a lot of my gaming time.

Never enough time for it all and I'm single, working 38 hours a week with no partner or kids to be spending time with. Mentally tired from work and not wanting to play recently, thankfully got a flatmate who I can watch play things, like with Spiderman 2 just there.

I highly enjoyed TotK but my GOTY is still Armored Core VI, I was so addicted to this game.

I would really like to play Armored Core VI and Baldur's Gate 3, especially the former but I've started Alan Wake 2 now ha.

kiphalfton

I put TotK on the backburner not cause I wasn't enjoying it but I'd rather wait for Switch Poo and see how it looks and runs on that. No rush to burn through it like BotW.

I played BotW for 406 hours between launch and end of 2018 so theres that too. I was playing Hitman 2016 (and then 2018) at the same time and I put 1800 hours total into them so that took up a lot of my gaming time.

Never enough time for it all and I'm single, working 38 hours a week with no partner or kids to be spending time with. Mentally tired from work and not wanting to play recently, thankfully got a flatmate who I can watch play things, like with Spiderman 2 just there.

I would really like to play Armored Core VI and Baldur's Gate 3, especially the former but I've started Alan Wake 2 now ha.

Stay the course.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I haven't played all the nominated games this year, but I think TotK is very special.

They made a conscience decision to keep it in the world, so that it'll be familiar and welcoming to people who already played it, but exciting to find new things hidden in that world. So you almost have nostalgia for some places, and learn to appreciate them from a different angle.

It's really the experience of re-exploring a world you know that's makes it so unique.

It does have some flaws like music is essentially the same, building and menu could be busywork, and for me the Kakariko village quest line that only moves forward after certain things happen.

ByWatterson

It's weird. It's such an obvious 10, just like BOTW before it, but I haven't really thought about it since finishing. None of the story beats stick with me, the shrines all blur together.

And I'm literally dreaming about dice rolls from BG3 or remembering how intense the opening of FFXVI was.

I dunno. It's a 10. But it disappeared from my memory to be GOTY.

manfestival

OP clearly baiting with that choice verbiage but the author of that article is entitled to think what they want. GOTY is subjective anyways. Someone's GOTY might even be a small budget indie title and not any of the AAA ones.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Wish I could agree. Everytime I play TOTK, I get bored to death, feeling the burnout of BOTW too much still.

I hear this a lot and I think it's a sign of rot.

If gamers are too burnt out on Breath of the Wild (which came out 6 years ago) to enjoy TotK, maybe BotW wasn't as good as we thought?

These are gameplay centric games (a good thing) but a multi year cushion between releases doesn't replenish your appreciation gauge? That's not a good sign.

I'd love to see the completion rate on these games.

nemiroff

Gold Member
To me it was utterly boring and looked like garbage technically. On the Switch I actually enjoyed Super Mario Bros Wonder a lot more. But I can see why other people might like TOTK.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
My GOTY as well. Probably in my top 5 games of all time. My only negative is that there’s not more of it.

I had doubts they’d be able to top BotW but in hindsight that comes off as extremely silly because they improved every single aspect of BotW, and added so sooo soooo much more new stuff on top of it.

Soodanim

What's weird is that I think GigaBowser used to use things like punctuation in his posts. Maybe I'm wrong, but my current theory is that his undying Nintendo fanaticism has frazzled his mind and forced him to devolve.

kunonabi

Wish I could agree. Everytime I play TOTK, I get bored to death, feeling the burnout of BOTW too much still.
I was bored in the beginning, it started to pick up and I started enjoying it but then two middling dungeons, the rehashed story, and shitty master sword disgusted me enough to quit and I haven't touched it since.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Not my GOTY for sure. When all is said and done I actually prefer BOTW to it, especially the powers and general exploration. Also the main story sucks in my humble opinion.

I hope Nintendo moves on from this formula but that seems very unlikely since it sells.

I feel it was too unfocused. I get It, they're going for that freedom and go anywhere approach, but it just made me miss the focused structure of the old games. I kept dropping the game because it makes you feel like your making no substantial progress. I don't want to invest 500 hours into it.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Of course it's GOTY. The enjoyment gained from exploration, experimentation and progression is second to none - certainly when talking about this year's games. And it's a technical marvel. A 150 plus hour game that comes in at 16gb in size, and runs on a fucking potato, with little to no jank whatsoever, even though it has one of the best physics engine out there.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It kinda was my goty for a part of the year but when games with better combat\challenge\story\progression etc. came out this one fell off of a cliff a little.

Still in my top 10 this year.

Last edited:

Fbh

I enjoyed it, but aside from the awesome physics it still had many of the issues I had with BOTW like bad sidequests, a bad lot and gear system and an overall unrewarding sense to most activities.
Like halfway through I realized I wasn't really having fun with any of the optional stuff and I just mainlined the story, which was admittedly a step up from BOTW.

kunonabi

People say RE4 shouldn't get GOTY because it's a remake. Meanwhile, TOTK asset flips the entire map and all enemies from BOTW.

Nah, GOTY should be Balders Gate.
The fact that totk recycles everything from korok puzzles to its story structure honestly makes it more it more of a juiced uo master quest update than an actual sequel. Even the new stuff like the sky and depths give you rewards from botw. It's so frigging weird.

conpfreak

The fact that totk recycles everything from korok puzzles to its story structure honestly makes it more it more of a juiced uo master quest update than an actual sequel. Even the new stuff like the sky and depths give you rewards from botw. It's so frigging weird.
Tears of the Kingdom has to be a mind blowing game if you never played Breath of the Wild. It's so much better. Sadly, I have, so experiencing some of the same content they copy/pasted into the game like the music and general progression beats makes the experience weaker. But if you don't have those experiences going in, it's a GOTG experience.

I will say they could do well by shrinking the size of the next game world a little for more density and mix up the dungeon scenarios. The "unlock five locks" scheme gets old by the 3rd dungeon and is not as organic as the find compass, find map, find item, mini boss, boss scheme from older Zeldas. The shines provide way more compelling scenarios even if bite sized. Build on that.

Top Bottom