• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Zelda TOTK already sold more physical copies than RE 4 and Star Wars Jedi Survivor did period

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news

Robb

Gold Member
That’s pretty neat. I wonder where it’d place if digital sales were included as with the rest.

Might still be hard to beat out Hogwarts.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Easy when you're the only relevant game on the console.
nuh uhhh thats nots the only reason what about my OT?

oh-yeah-mrw.gif

Zelda has a broader appeal than RE4 and Jedi Survivor launched in a very bad state. I know a lot of people are still waiting for them to be done with patching the game.

So not surprised, Zelda TotK is my GOTY so far.

supernova8

Banned
I mean, its generally impressive when an exclusive outsells cross-plat games, but lets be real: TotK was a long-awaited sequel that had a hype bullet train riding with it for years, of course it was going to sell gangbusters
It's funny though a lot of people (including myself) were saying "oh god it's going to end up being a glorified expansion" and then it comes out and people are like "omg this is amazing". I watched like one video of someone doing crazy stuff with the Ultra Hand ability and now there are dozens of videos in my Youtube feed. People are doing really crazy stuff with ToTK.

If only the same team was put on Pokemon!

Codes 208

It's funny though a lot of people (including myself) were saying "oh god it's going to end up being a glorified expansion" and then it comes out and people are like "omg this is amazing". I watched like one video of someone doing crazy stuff with the Ultra Hand ability and now there are dozens of videos in my Youtube feed. People are doing really crazy stuff with ToTK.

If only the same team was put on Pokemon!
Sad thing is gamefreak probably wouldnt let any other teams work on a mainline pokemon, greedy bastards know how to cut corners and maximize profits.

Though at this point if much rather they drop the current 3d shit and go the octopath traveler route. A 2.5d open world pokemon game with larger maps than scarlet/violet would be amazing.

supernova8

Banned
Sad thing is gamefreak probably wouldnt let any other teams work on a mainline pokemon, greedy bastards know how to cut corners and maximize profits.

Though at this point if much rather they drop the current 3d shit and go the octopath traveler route. A 2.5d open world pokemon game with larger maps than scarlet/violet would be amazing.
Ugh please no not the 2.5 shit lol. I actually really liked the art style in Sea of Stars. Essentially GBA graphics but with a lot more detail and some nice particle effects thrown in.

Codes 208

Ugh please no not the 2.5 shit lol. I actually really liked the art style in Sea of Stars. Essentially GBA graphics but with a lot more detail and some nice particle effects thrown in.

Fair, honestly *anything* is better than what weve gotten regarding pokemon since the switch to 3d

The art style has gotten progressively more generic, the 3d designs are bland and the colors are lackluster. (Not unlike the repetition and blandness of nsmb)

Awhile back a fan made a 3d pokemon demo based on the water colors of the classic pokemon art, I would HAPPILY take ten copies of that ty very much

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Fair, honestly *anything* is better than what weve gotten regarding pokemon since the switch to 3d

The art style has gotten progressively more generic, the 3d designs are bland and the colors are lackluster. (Not unlike the repetition and blandness of nsmb)

Awhile back a fan made a 3d pokemon demo based on the water colors of the classic pokemon art, I would HAPPILY take ten copies of that ty very much
That sounds awesome, is there a video for it?

also I agree anything is better than the utter garbage they've put out since they made switch to... Switch... (arguably shit during 3DS as well).

As much as I loved RE4 back in the day, I was never going to spend $60 on a remaster, and I didn't like Fallen Order so there was no chance of me buying Survivor.

StueyDuck

Minecraft is very popular with the kids 🤷‍♂️

Either way congrats to Ninty, the franchise may mean nothing for me anymore but you cant ignore major success

And it didn't even take 70billion dollars to take games away from other consoles 🤣

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So when people say that physical games will die, what do they think when they see this stat?

Fake

Look at my surprise face. Game is a juggernaut. No one can actually match this IP anymore and thinking that a remake would beat? Jedi launch was a mess as well.

SaintALia

Zelda has a broader appeal than RE4 and Jedi Survivor launched in a very bad state. I know a lot of people are still waiting for them to be done with patching the game.

RE4 launched on 4 platforms and Jedi Survivor launched on 3, and that's a Star Wars game no less. And this is without calculating TOTK's digital amount.

Anyway, Hogwarts Legacy leading the charge in sales so far, that's sure to upset some people. The Switch port is still on it's way I'm guessing? Seems a bit too late for that, and too bad they don't spend any time or effort on doing individual versions for games like they used, like a Ghostbusters PS360 vs Wii situation.

OT though. I'm kinda amazed Zelda blew up this much. It was a solid series, but was never this much of a heavyweight. According to official numbers, the best selling of the series games' pretty much maxed out at 8 mil sold a peice and BOTW last I checked, did around 29-31 million. Friggin insane.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I mean, its generally impressive when an exclusive outsells cross-plat games, but lets be real: TotK was a long-awaited sequel that had a hype bullet train riding with it for years, of course it was going to sell gangbusters
It's never a given.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Easy when you're the only relevant game on the console.
Yeah, no real competition definitely helps. Star Wars had to fight off RE4, Hogwarts, Diablo, SF6, Forspoken, Dead Space and Dead Island 2 none of which released on the switch.

I own a switch, a pc, xss and a PS5 and ended up buying hogwarts, tlou pc, re4, final fantasy 16, and zelda this year alone. Ended up subbing to EA Play Pro for Star Wars and saved some money. Switch only users dont have to spend hundreds of dollars to play these games when only one of them comes out on their console of choice.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Yeah, no real competition definitely helps. Star Wars had to fight off RE4, Hogwarts, Diablo, SF6, Forspoken, Dead Space and Dead Island 2 none of which released on the switch.

I own a switch, a pc, xss and a PS5 and ended up buying hogwarts, tlou pc, re4, final fantasy 16, and zelda this year alone. Ended up subbing to EA Play Pro for Star Wars and saved some money. Switch only users dont have to spend hundreds of dollars to play these games when only one of them comes out on their console of choice.
AFAIK Star Wars got rushed to April to avoid competing with Zelda.

It's basically common sense in the industry to avoid releasing games too close from Zelda, Mario or Call of Duty that appeal to similar audience.

I have a friend that got those bad PC ports and visits them every now and then and I literally ask him from time to time if they're good enough so I can pull the trigger lol

BbMajor7th

I mean is a great achievement, but very bizarre article.

Can you imagine if someone made an article saying: “GTAV has now outsold the entire The Legend of Zelda franchise”
Millennia from now, long after the heat death of the universe, GTAV will still be selling 20,000 copies a month.

Top Bottom