• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Many of October's biggest AAA titles seem to be underperforming greatly (NPD info)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the age of the 50gb mega budget videogame is definitely nearing its end. But then hopefully we can get back to mid budget games again, and reset. Think Shadow Warrior.

My frustration with today's videogame market, much like Hollywood, is that we have very low budget games and very high budget games but little in between. But it's the in between where the real magic happens.

Not if we're focusing on upgraded consoles and 4K visuals.

heidern

Assuming the latest UK sales are a portent of US sales; franchises where the latest iteration has bombed:
Call of Duty
Assassins Creed
Watchdogs
Titanfall
Halo
Gears of War
Gran Turismo
Tomb Raider

That's kind of a who's who of AAA games. It also doesn't include the fact that Konami ousted Kojima and effectively chose to scrap Metal Gear Solid. I'd expect similar for Final Fantasy and Resident Evil in the near future. Part of the issue may be increase in AAA competition as you also have the likes of Destiny and The Division competing for sales and these dragging games down.

On the other hand sports games seem to be doing well and some licensed games like Batman and Dragonball have been doing well. That could suggest some existing gamers are becoming more casual in the habits and making safer choices.

Nameless

In a year where we've had multiple VR devices launch along with new graphics cards and new consoles could be as simple as gamers spending more money on hardware while seeking value on games?

And sorta to that point October has been a weird month for a few years now as people become conditioned to wait until Black Friday for anything that isn't absolutely essential.

Jawmuncher

First time I feel like a part of the hive-mind when it comes to gaming.
This gen hasn't done enough to wow people including me, graphical candy aside.

I've bought EDF 4.1 for PS4 for 10€ lately and I'm having more fun with this than most of the AAA titles. Games like UC4 are great experiences but not great games.

Uninspired open-world, cinematic games, story-heavy ...meh

Let's see...
An open world game about hackers part 2? Of all concepts for an open world game, Ubi comes up with this? Not surprised no one cares...

And FPSes tanking? Lawd, thx. We've been playing the same old shit for 10 years now.

A bunch of 10 year old boys is more likely to come with great ideas for games than most professional game designers.

In a more general stance of what you said I agree. In terms of AAA it doesn't feel like we're seeing as much unique as we did last gen. A lot of it does feel like what we had last gen but the graphics are better.

Indie Development is helping a lot to fix that though. Unsure how AAA can fix it with their rising costs for development however. It's part of why I don't see jumps for consoles happening fast. Since it would mean even higher AAA budgets.

Assuming the latest UK sales are a portent of US sales; franchises where the latest iteration has bombed:
Call of Duty
Assassins Creed
Watchdogs
Titanfall
Halo
Gears of War
Gran Turismo
Tomb Raider

That's kind of a who's who of AAA games. It also doesn't include the fact that Konami ousted Kojima and effectively chose to scrap Metal Gear Solid. I'd expect similar for Final Fantasy and Resident Evil in the near future. Part of the issue may be increase in AAA competition as you also have the likes of Destiny and The Division competing for sales and these dragging games down.

On the other hand sports games seem to be doing well and some licensed games like Batman and Dragonball have been doing well. That could suggest some existing gamers are becoming more casual in the habits and making safer choices.

Did MGSV do less than 4? From recollection, the time frame of release for that game helped it a lot. As did the multiple SKUs.
Or are you just saying that the current state of MGS is kinda in the air.

Final Fantasy I agree will probably see a smaller launch than FF13 due to it's release as well.

Resident Evil probably will as well. Capcom want's 4 million in a quarter. But the shift once again is and close release to a crowded febuary might end up being closer to 2 million.
Since as we have seen with Titanfall 2. Even if the game garners numerous accolades, that doesn't necessarily translate to sales.

Guymelef

How is Gears a struggle when it sells as much as Judgment on a console base 1/5th the install base that Judgment had when it launched and also doesn't include the digital sales. A lot of people bought Gears 4 digitally so they could get a free PC version etc.

Gears 2 sold over 1.5M with 12.4M X360
XBO is over 13M now.

Fdkn

Ok I'm really trying via google to make my point clear lol

2013 was 1% over 2012, closing at $15.39B

2014 decreased to $14,8B

2015 was flat compared to 2014

I don't know how 2016 is going to end yet, but some factors:

- Digital is not included in any of those (I think?), but we know it's growing
- Nintendo situation
- Games as a service stuff, in the same vein as digital, I don't know how that is counted (maybe is not there also?) those things are growing too as we all know

My point is that maybe the industry is not failling, it's evoling, and those games that fail are those who don't adapt or make huge mistakes like RotTR or Titanfall2

AniHawk

I really don't see how those thing you list seem to be so separate to you .
There all hardware for certain sections of the market .

Also PS now will get bigger but Sony not going to risk hurting PS4 sales .
With a service that going to take years to catch on because of certain factors .

i can't really shake out sony's plans for five years from now. they have a legacy system in the ps4 slim which is fine. it's cheap and small and you can make it $200 and less in a couple years when something new comes out. ps4 pro is a weird thing that ps4 fans seem to like that may or may not catch on to the mainstream, but was made with a hardcore audience in mind (like the new 3ds). ps vr sort of exists outside of the ps4 universe as a super expensive peripheral that feels more like an experiment than an honest-to-god next step. i actually don't get the feeling like they feel this is their future. it would have to come bundled as part of the ps5 before they really put the necessary time into vr anyway.

ps now isn't anywhere near harming ps4 sales. if anything it's the other way around. who is buying a service to play old ps3 games on a monthly subscription fee? i feel like ps now is destined for the trash bin. a playstation store platform modeled after steam that works on pc, and grants you access to psx, ps2, ps3, psp, ps vita, and ps4 games would be far more attractive and future-proof. from there, they could sell their hardware peripherals like controllers and vr headsets.

gcubed

Is the average age of a gamer skewing older as well?

If you aren't replenishing the young people and they are staying on phones, us old folks only have a limited time to play after the kid goes to bed. I don't have time for all the games like I used to

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
My friends are casual game players. They find 1 game and play it to death. That game is/was Overwatch, and a few others bought Cod or BF1. Everything else is going to fall by the wayside because it's too much time/money to buy every single one!

I buy a lot of games, including games that regularly score 7's and 8's. Frankly, all of these games came out nearly back to back (Mafia 3, Cod, BF1, TF2, WD2, etc). I'd say all are basically worth your money, but that's $300 dollars in games. I subscribed to Gamefly and Rented BF1 and TF2 (didn't like the first one) and Bought Call of Duty and WD2 instead.

edit: Forgot about DIshonored 2.

Maximo

I just haven't been bothered to pick up any new release besides interesting and fun indie games like Thumper, Owlboy, Ect yeah alot of the games like BF1 and Titanfall 2 Dishonored 2 are decent definitely not bad games Im just..not interested. I don't buy many games on launch its fairly rare to me and even now im less and less interested in dropping so much money on a game that at least feels to me highly unoriginal and something im happy waiting months down the line to snag in a deal.
Most of my mates are still playing Overwatch and hey im happy still playing that while filling my spare time with indie games, they have taken over my interest when AAA games used to years ago.

Boke1879

Here's Jason from Kotaku's tweets. Hope he doesn't mind me posting them.
Jason Schreier
@jasonschreier
There's a definite correlation between Kotaku reader interest in these AAA games and their reported sales here: neogaf.com/forum/showthre…

Jason Schreier
@jasonschreier
Lots of traffic on BF1 stories, far less on Dishonored 2, Titanfall 2. One game that draws a LOT of interest: FFXV. I expect that to do well

Is the average age of a gamer skewing older as well?

If you aren't replenishing the young people and they are staying on phones, us old folks only have a limited time to play after the kid goes to bed. I don't have time for all the games like I used to

Yep. Kids just aren't playing non-phone games like they once did. Older people buying less as they get busy with families. The market for non-phone games looks bleak.

Bummed to see RoTR PS4 and Titanfall 2 with such low numbers. They're both excellent games that I'd like to see supported over the long haul.

AniHawk

Ok I'm really trying via google to make my point clear lol

2013 was 1% over 2012, closing at $15.39B

2014 decreased to $14,8B

2015 was flat compared to 2014

I don't know how 2016 is going to end yet, but some factors:

- Digital is not included in any of those (I think?), but we know it's growing
- Nintendo situation
- Games as a service stuff, in the same vein as digital, I don't know how that is counted (maybe is not there also?) those things are growing too as we all know

My point is that maybe the industry is not failling, it's evoling, and those games that fail are those who don't adapt or make huge mistakes like RotTR or Titanfall2

i don't think anyone would argue the industry is dying - but the dedicated hardware market? it's in a noticeable decline from last gen. this is where a lot of denial comes from in the form of handwaving entire platforms.

mreddie

Rise flopping twice is amazing.

Sucks TF2 is in the conversation

And Infinite Warfare bombing, fuck, you know you need keep that on ice for a year.

At least Creed is on ice but looks like WD2 is gonna take the butt of that.

Also Dishonored 2 got fucked by getting released in a busy calendar year.

Guardian and FF XV...oh my, if they end up on top...everything burns.

As was told to remade alien Klaatu "only on the precipice do we change".

Hopefully these sales will bring great change in release dates being spread out and taking a few more risks even within safe genres like FPS.Obviously its a tough situation since new IP's like Sunset Overdrive failed however hopefully Horizon Zero Dawn will prove new IP's have huge potential in building fresh new franchises.

Hell I'd settle for focus to atleast be put on either fun gameplay ala Wolfenstien,Destiny or great story telling ala Mass Effect or Last of Us.

Detox

Games as service are transitioning to consoles and they will suck the life out of AAA. Players can be more patient and see if a game is worth it because they know they have their evergreen games to go to throughout the year.

Some of you simply don't like the direction games are going and so that equals "dying" to you.

i don't think anyone would argue the industry is dying - but the dedicated hardware market? it's in a noticeable, heavy decline from last gen. this is where a lot of denial comes from in the form of handwaving entire platforms.
Wait are you saying the industry is dying or that it is not dying? If you're saying it is dying I would argue that lol.

Jawmuncher

Here's Jason from Kotaku's tweets. Hope he doesn't mind me posting them.

FFXV i'm really curious to see how it does. It's to me the only title left for the rest of the year that could go either way. Not flat out bomb or anything, but as I pointed earlier could potentially do less than FF13's opening.

Only notable Dec releases are TLG and Dead Rising 4. Both of which I don't see doing anything crazy.

Fdkn

i don't think anyone would argue the industry is dying - but the dedicated hardware market? it's in a noticeable, heavy decline from last gen. this is where a lot of denial comes from in the form of handwaving entire platforms.

I see your post as blaming the consumer for the crattering of Nintendo. The dedicated hardware market is fine for those who try to engage properly with it.

I want Titanfall 2 but I wish EA had released it Q1 2017 to give the game some breathing room. Impressions around here have been fantastic but I don't see anyone outside of GAF talking about it. Can't recall too many ads either but I don't have cable.

LordofPwn

BF1 did well because it seemed like something refreshing and new, same with Mafia III. TF2 got sent out to die. Call of Duty needs a break. I kept forgetting Dishonored 2 and Watch Dogs 2 came out. The only people I see talking about Watch_Dogs 2 are people who live or have lived in San Fran that I follow on Twitter. This generation of consoles hasn't seen many new IPs so maybe it's time companies try to come up with something new? Maybe this is the wake up call they need?
Maybe this means Horizon: Zero Dawn will sell well.

On the other side of things maybe these games should have been spread out more instead of crammed into October and November? And really some of the biggest titles outside came out in May, October, and November with a couple hitting late August and September.

Drifters

They are not underperforming, everyone is just saving their money for Final Fantasy XV & The Last Guardian.
I literally hope Final Fantasy flops so they shelve the series for a good 20 years. Last Guardian I don't have any interest in. All hail Titanfall 2!!

This "release schedule is too crowded" thing is denial to me. We've had this issue for a hundred years. Only now is such a large percentage of aaa flopping. Reality is games as a service and mobile are taking over. Why buy tf2 when I play destiny two hours a day? Why buy bad Ubivendi game 4.0 now with new hat when I can play other soul sucking bad stuff on phone?
I see them as one and the same issue.

Games are pretty damn large these days, and filled with daily and weekly rituals and long progression systems meant to take months or years. Cramming so many of those big games together seems like a gamble that isn't paying off for most.

Like everybody wants to be their own Facebook or World of Warcraft, and what happens is you end up with one winner and a lot of losers. GaaS is a good idea, but how many can players actually maintain?

Of course this is just me checking my gut. I'm no analyst of these things.

Even with digital it's not like these are not flopping. Do you think digital will get gow4 to 2 million?

You know what I've discovered? This industry will have four games a year soon

Why can't they see that not everything has to be indie or AAA? Of course the consumers would have to be willing to purchase medium tier games and not expect them to be on par with AAA.

cheesekao

i don't think anyone would argue the industry is dying - but the dedicated hardware market? it's in a noticeable decline from last gen. this is where a lot of denial comes from in the form of handwaving entire platforms.
I don't think anybody can deny that the massive decline of the casual userbase isn't a factor. Nintendo really needs to start pulling its weight with the Switch after how they fucked up with the WiiU.

tilomite!

Titanfall 2 is really surprising to me. I thought the first was really good, just needed more content. And TF2 has gotten good reviews. I hope it's just a bad release date and the franchise isn't dead.

heidern

Did MGSV do less than 4? From recollection, the time frame of release for that game helped it a lot. As did the multiple SKUs.
Or are you just saying that the current state of MGS is kinda in the air.

I think MGS got decent sales but Konami basically decided to scrap the franchise anyway. I'm sure they'll make MGS games but they won't be a 'real' MGS game with AAA development and marketing budget. All the franchises that have had majorly reduced sales are also at risk of reduced budget, however that reduced budget means they are no longer AAA and could be classed as mid-tier and we know what happened to mid-tier last generation...

Even right now there is problems with lower budget games as can be seen by the Wii U, 3DS, Vita, Skylanders, Just Dance, Disney pulling out, Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero etc.

AniHawk

Some of you simply don't like the direction games are going and so that equals "dying" to you.

Wait are you saying the industry is dying or that it is not dying? If you're saying it is dying I would argue that lol.

no i think the industry is doing really well, particularly on mobile and steam (of which i am a big fan). the old 'traditional' market and way of buying games is a section of the industry that is becoming quickly outdated and irrelevant to the industry as a whole.

I see your post as blaming the consumer for the crattering of Nintendo. The dedicated hardware market is fine for those who try to engage properly with it.

i'm saying that handwaving entire platforms or subsections of the market as 'not really mattering' is ignoring the actual truth and signs of a section of the market in obvious decline. every hardware manufacturer this gen will see lower sales of hardware and software at retail versus last gen. no one is safe - although sony didn't string an albatross around their neck in the form of a ps3 so they are at least more profitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom