• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Classic GBA-SP game....is it even worth it?

Lil' Dice

Banned
I'm thinking of picking it up at lunch, but at $20 isn't the game already bundled with another Super Mario game? Maybe i'm confusing it with another Mario title....

Mario Bros. (not to be confused with Super Mario Bros.) is built into each and every Super Mario Advance title (1-5 or whatever the hell number are out there right now)

Lil' Dice

Banned
Crazymoogle said:
Mario Bros. (not to be confused with Super Mario Bros.) is built into each and every Super Mario Advance title (1-5 or whatever the hell number are out there right now)

Oh, cool.
So the only way to get the NES Super Mario is to buy the $20 game?
Thanks.

you're thinking of Mario Bros. The little 2 player, Donkey Kong-esque single screen game. Thats bundled with every Mario Advance title. Super Mario Bros. is the 1985 platformer, thats what was recently released as an NES Classic series, as for if its worth it? I'd just get Super Mario Bros. DX for the Gameboy Color. Sure its not fullscreen, but its a great port and packs a lot of extras, but if you're more of a collector and have $20 to spare, why not? Go for it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
They actually released the original Mario Bros. game in the Famicom Mini 2nd set. Pretty ridiuclous that people would actually buy it :p

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Selling the original Mario Bros. is no more ridiculous than selling the NES Pac-Man by itself when you can get the arcade version in the Namco Museum and Pac-Man Collections. :p

But yeah, get Super Mario Bros. DX. It's got BOTH Super Mario Bros. and the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 (the lost levels) in one cart.

Wario64 said:
They actually released the original Mario Bros. game in the Famicom Mini 2nd set. Pretty ridiuclous that people would actually buy it :p

I own Super Mario Advance 2 and Super Mario Advance 3, and they both include the the Mario Bros. game, and yet I would really like to have NES Classic edition, because it has the original NES graphics, not the updated SNES ones... I'm such a sucker for nostalgia. With that said, I wont be getting it at $20, I'd rather get other games from the NES Classic series.

Yusaku

163530.jpg

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Lyte Edge said:
But yeah, get Super Mario Bros. DX. It's got BOTH Super Mario Bros. and the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 (the lost levels) in one cart.

a totally castrated and tossed in version of the lost levels, mind you (no wind in the wind levels, no different graphics). plus no minus world trick in the original! I mean really, that's like a car with no cup holder.

Lil' Dice

Banned
Well i picked up Super Mario Bros., it was free after my $20 voucher. I would normally pass on overpriced (IMO) re-releases, but i never had an NES as a child, and never got to fully enjoy the original game.

Now they just need to re-release Punch Out, Blaster Master, Rygar, Kid Icarus, and
Bionic-motherfucking-Commando on the GBA......

explodet

Lil' Dice said:
Now they just need to re-release Punch Out, Blaster Master, Rygar, Kid Icarus, and
Bionic-motherfucking-Commando on the GBA......
http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=1502

VOTE!

Keio

For a Finer World
The NES classics are perfect for commuting to work. Super Mario Bros is probably the best of the bunch, so go for it.

Priz

Wario64 said:

I bet the people who'd buy it are the same people who'd buy "War Gods" and use the same excuse - "for sake of completeness, owning every game for the system."

:)

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
The only real problem with SMB DX is that it's rather unplayable, unless you already have a complete mastery of the game...

I love the concept, but having to scroll the screen up and down is a problem.

DavidDayton said:

Agreed, which is why I'm considering dropping 20 for the Classic NES series cart. In SMB DX's defense, the extras make it an excellent buy (if you can find it) and I'm working into the challenge mode once again.

But I fired up the original SMB on the NES the other day because I just wanted a taste. God, I played through four worlds before I had to tear myself away to go get ready for work. It's amazing how that game is still enjoyable all these years later.

DavidDayton said:
The only real problem with SMB DX is that it's rather unplayable, unless you already have a complete mastery of the game...

Totally agree. I can't understand all the love for DX... it's also unplayable in my book as well.

BTW, I still want SMB1 from All Stars in GBA form. Anyone else? Doubt it...

DDayton

FortNinety said:
BTW, I still want SMB1 from All Stars in GBA form. Anyone else? Doubt it...

Wait... I had forgotten... that -was- released as a bonus item in Japan, wasn't it?

explodet

Every time I consider picking this game up, I can't find it.

Seems to be sold out everywhere I go.
I must not be looking hard enough or something.

DavidDayton said:
Wait... I had forgotten... that -was- released as a bonus item in Japan, wasn't it?

Are you referring to the very first bit of info regarding Club Mario? I think it ended up being the SMB NES re-release, before the whole Famicom Mini was even announced.

DDayton

So what was that cart they were advertising, complete with screenshots resembling SMAS?

Now I have to delve into this again.

Top Bottom