• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Movie Showcase Announced for Tomorrow (Posters Revealed)

_Ex_

Before Wokeywood:

png-transparent-princess-peach-illustration-super-mario-bros-2-super-princess-peach-princess-mario-s.png

After Wokeywood:

Screenshot-2022-11-30-004202.jpg

are-you-scared-you-scared.gif

People still think that Chris Pratt just showed up to record his lines and did his normal voice and Nintendo just had to accept it without being able to do anything about it? I bet this is some weird Japanese thing where they wanted Pratt to sound like this because it is what they imagine a dude from Brooklyn sounds like.

Last edited:
After Wokeywood:

Screenshot-2022-11-30-004202.jpg

What? she looks awesome - I really like who they've repurposed her Mario Kart 8 motorcycle outfit into her battle gear. Plus they are bound to do a "Mario goes to the wrong castle" joke which is all that's needed to pay tribute to the classic (i.e. zero personality) princess.

Not sold on all the voice cast, Jack and Day are great, the others - not so much. But visually it looks incredible, the colour palette on the Yoshi world, which we only see for a split second in this trailer, is spot on. They clearly have some gamers/fans working on this, feels very genuine.

reksveks

Thread ignore. Someone already dropped the Woke bomb. Well done. You’ve played yourself.
My ignore list just grows.

Back to topic, I know it's not going to be a great film but as long as I enjoy myself for the runtime, that's all I care about.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Watched the trailer out of curiosity and nostalgia from playing a ton of Mario as a child.

Not my cup of tea, but it looks like a great kids film. My 4 year old nephew would love to see this on the big screen.

UnNamed

Banned
It was only missing an “in-game engine cutscenes running on Switch 2 Max” at the end.
Yeah.
Just imagine something like The Wizard, but with a new console instead of SMB, like "you have seen the movie, now you play the game".

I think UE5 is the only engine that could reach similar results, no way Nintendo could make its own engine that powerful, latest Nintendo games are more on the artstyle than the brute force.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
It's cringe. Just like everything else in the trailer. Strong independent princess who don't need no Mario isn't really what the character is. Just like reluctant bumblefuck doofus everyday man isn't representative of the character we know as Mario.
She does need him, that's why he's in that world.

People need to understand character arcs.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Folks whining about the movie being woke or whatever… did you just forget about Mario 2? Peach is literally in the playable roster, she took a break from being a damsel in distress back in 1986.

Peach’s face has a bit of Star Ocean 4 energy though, it’s… off.

Rran

I think it largely looks good.

Peach and Mario's characterizations are a little weird though. I get that Mario is meant to be the everyman with the hero's journey and all that, but they lean pretty hard into it in this trailer and he looks a little too incompetent as a result.

I don't mind a more active Peach as it hearkens back to the Super Show and classic NP comic, but the halberd sequence is pretty on-the-nose (what, she's going to start hacking away at Koopas?). It's like they were worried about making her seem to passive and over-compensated by giving her some Daisy-like traits. I think the Paper Mario games struck a better balance between Peach's frail physicality and strong, caring character.

I'm pretty excited overall though. It's visually striking, lacks the obnoxiousness of other Illumination projects (so far), and best of all--my previous complaints aside--it actually feels like it's faithful to the source material. Which is a claim that extremely few game movies can make. Someone brought up the Sonic movies as being great earlier and I have to disagree; I think they should've been like this, axing the real world junk and just focusing on the game characters and environments.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The fuck is woke in this trailer? Having Peach kick ass isn't woke, its fun
Only if Luigi runs in and says something like “ My boyfriend Hans told me bowser was up to no good! “ and then nothing else is said about it until the ending when they are kissing.

TLZ

Banned
Peach's voice sucks ASS.

The Spanish version Peach voice is much better.

It's like I'm watching Emmet and Lucy again.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Peach looks weird in that poster and I can't put my finger on why...
They added just a tad bit of the voice actors features to the faces. It’s a normal thing in 3D animation these days to “ capture the emotion “ but these are very subtle.

Fake

Mario fans too scared to demand a better movie lol. Sonic fans threatened Hollywood and got an amazing movie out of it

I have to agree. Sonic the movie was suposed to be a flop (even me on the movie thread told that the movie would flop with that Sonic 3D freak design), since the movie team listen the fans. I remember even IGN bitching about calling the fans who don't want that 3D atrocity to 'toxic fans.
Most of the Nintendo fans are simp for whatever they kick at you and everything looks increadible without any sight of downside. I not even talking about the twitter commentary about this movie because dear lord, what a bunch of freaks.
This movie have potential, but saying is great/amazing with that voice cast and some questionable choises are delusional.
Again, will be decent. Probably will earn millions no matter what.

Last edited:

Saber

Folks whining about the movie being woke or whatever… did you just forget about Mario 2? Peach is literally in the playable roster, she took a break from being a damsel in distress back in 1986.

Peach’s face has a bit of Star Ocean 4 energy though, it’s… off.

Theres also Princess Peach for DS. But I don't think this is the point.
You see, in the DS version she has to save Mario but never actually needed to look badass. She still retained her princess asthetic and personality in the game, even have her own weapon that suits her.

In this movie she kinda looks forced(the impression is that shes a veteran adventurer and Mario is a newcomer), and its not like she gonna retain her personality either. Even more so, Mario looks like a straight loser. Its one of those cases where they have to downgrade a character just to make the other shine. I may give this movie a chance but...its weird. I was looking foward to see the 3 of them adventuring themselves while keeping their personalities intact.

Rykan

I'm fine. I think people being wilfully oblivious to 'woke' politics in modern western media may not be.
Okay fine. Humor me. What part of the peach as portrayed in the trailer is "Woke"? What super essential aspect of the character was so appealing to you, that is not portrayed well in the trailer?

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Isn't this thing a musical....

Also will Donkey Kong be explained as really being DK JR. Cranky is the original DK.

JCK75

Okay fine. Humor me. What part of the peach as portrayed in the trailer is "Woke"? What super essential aspect of the character was so appealing to you, that is not portrayed well in the trailer?

I understand the concern, there is an element of Peach stepping up and taking charge whereas Mario seems like a bumbling idiot..
but honestly I'm personally reading it more that Mario is new to the Kingdom and doesn't know shit about this crazy world..and Peach clearly has lived there her entire life.

shiru

Banned
Already pointed out, and pretty self-evident. But if not, then the part where the Peach is now a tough axe warrior, in contrast to her dainty character we're familiar with.

She wasn't wearing a dress, she wasn't waiting for Mario to save her and she wasn't in the kitchen, like, at all. Woke shit.
This is a nice strawman. The Mario games are very problematic aren't they?
Another GAF movie thread derailed by anti-woke crusaders trying to score points by desperately trying to find something woke to bitch about in a two minute trailer.
Must be hard dealing with opinions and non-asskissing reactions. You even posted a gif.

Last edited:
Top Bottom