• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's new Avengers lineup revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.wizarduniverse.com/conventions/chicago/WZ20040813-avengers.cfm

Spider-Man in the Avengers? Wolverine? Luke Cage?? What the --?! These are just some of the bombshell announcements made at the Avengers/Marvel Heroes panel.

Marvel’s mightiest, including Brian Bendis, David Finch, Jimmy Cheung, Robert Kirkman, Sean McKeever, Mark Ricketts, Adi Granov and Publisher Dan Buckley and Editor-in-Chief Joe Quesada gave fans a taste of what to expect with “Avengers Dissassembled” including revealing the all-new line-up debuting in New Avengers #1, following the disassembled arc. The line-up includes: Captain America, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Luke Cage, Spider-Woman and the Sentry.

Fans may or may not remember who the Sentry is especially since there was a deliberate attempt made by Quesada to mask exactly when the hero first appeared when they released the mini-series The Sentry by Paul Jenkins and Jae Lee a few years back. An elaborate hoax was made to suggest the hero was created in the sixties when in fact he was created in the nineties.

In any event, the Sentry, who Bendis thinks is one of the most fascinating charactrers created in recent years, rounds out the team that includes heavyweights like Spider-man and Wolverine, lesser known characters like Spider-Woman (who Bendis assured was Jessica Drew) and Luke Cage and staples like Captain America and Iron Man.

The panel went into detail about current writers Mark Ricketts' (Iron Man) and Robert Kirkman's (Captain America) current 4-issue runs and the task they have in cleaning the slate and ushering in new writers Warren Ellis and Ed Brubaker.

Also announced was a new ThunderBolts #1 on tap for later in the year that got a heavy appluase.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Brian Fellows said:
Oh another comic Wolverine can be on the cover every month?

Serious.... what the f*ck is up what that lineup? Does Spiderman need ANOTHER book to be in? And in terms of power levels.. eh... I'm not getting too nerdy about this....

OmniGamer

This is ri-goddamn-diculous...I hate each and every person that perpetuates Wolverine's popularity! If it wasn't for Claremont's characterization of him, i'd hate him completely!

FoneBone

Anybody wonder about this guy, as quoted by Bendis in Powers Vol. 2, #1?
I swear to fucking god, if wolverine becomes an avenger I am going to kill my family. How much shit am I supposed to take in my life??? Why is this happening to me???

- skeetboy on a comics message board (I am not going to promote which one, but this is real.)

nomoment

Also, I think many of you guys are overlooking the fact that the mutha-fuckin' SENTRY is in the book!

0785107991.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

New Avengers = New Awesome

Asbel

mightynine said:
The fact that Wolverine is in the line-up is the most hilarious thing I've read today.
Agreed. So is the title New Avengers now? Is Spidey no longer being pushed as the loner? (notice Hulk isn't here) I'm sure staples like Vision and Giant Man will be back, though it's kinda fun predicting how long this new team will last. Hmmm.. Iron Man is the only powerhouse now (who's Sentry?). Maybe he won't play the Marvel jobber anymore.

MASB

Spiderman and Wolverine in the Avengers? I think the Avengers title may become the new champion of comic book angst with that kind of combination. ;)

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
What exactly are the Avengers anyways... Like why are they in a team and stuff.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
WTF are the Avengers.. Someone give me history.. are they a government assmebled super group to help fight terror or what

Willco

Hollywood Square
Asbel said:
Agreed. So is the title New Avengers now? Is Spidey no longer being pushed as the loner? (notice Hulk isn't here) I'm sure staples like Vision and Giant Man will be back, though it's kinda fun predicting how long this new team will last. Hmmm.. Iron Man is the only powerhouse now (who's Sentry?). Maybe he won't play the Marvel jobber anymore.

Uh, Vision is dead.

MASB

Chesapeake Silt said:
So Bendis' big news was 'I want lots of fanboys to harass DC's management so I can get a big fat Marvel / DC crossover paycheck'? Oooooookay.
lol. After reading that article, I didn't realize comic book writers/artists are almost as angst-filled as the characters they write/draw. :p

Matlock

Banned
Captain America - Avengers mainstay, the leader of the group. I dig it.

Iron Man - Genius, mainstay, good for heavy artillery. Cool.

Spider-Man - WHY? What does he add to the team? Honestly, I'd rather have Hawkeye, someone who actually has combat experience.

Wolverine - Overexposed, yes, but could make for a good Avenger. He can survive a hell of a lot of stuff, but...well, I don't really see him being all that effective against a real asskicker like the Avengers have been known to fight (Thor-level shit).

Luke Cage, Spider-Woman - I like Luke, but neither of these even belongs around the team.

The Sentry - Superman ripoff. Dammit, where's Thor when you need him?

Willco

Hollywood Square
Finally, The Avengers are made up of Earth's Mightiest Heroes instead of Earth's Best Second-Tier Heroes.

Shinobi

nomoment said:
Marvel is JLAing the Avengers.

So what?

They should've done this years ago.

Heh, JLAing the Avengers...good way of putting it.

I remember reading comics way back in the day when Spidey's only dream was to join the Avengers. So maybe they'll play off that.

I can understand Marvel's desperate attempt to grab more sales by mimicking DC's strategy of loading their most popular super-team with A-list heroes, but... WTF? Luke Cage, Spider-Woman, and the Sentry don't belong with the others, and Wolverine doesn't need (and wouldn't want) to be on yet another team. The whole thing sounds lame as hell, and I think it's just going to piss off current Avengers readers.

This should be the Avengers' roster:

Captain America
Thor
Iron Man
She-Hulk (cousin Bruce is hardly hero material these days)
Wasp
Giant Man

And one of the following:

Black Panther
Scarlet Witch
Hawkeye
Vision (I know he's dead, who cares)

DarienA

I personally think this is going to cause a huge backlash on the Avengers book... and is probably one of the biggest mistakes Marvel has made since I've been reading comics for the last 10+ years.... but I'm sure as hell going to enjoy watching the train wreck as it happens. ;)

Hmm, I always preferred the second Spider Woman to the first that's being used here. That aside, the JLAing (nice coinage, nomoment) makes sense. Add She-Hulk, Wasp or Scarlet Witch and Hawkeye and/ or Hank Pym. Done. Hmm, this makes me miss West Coast Avengers. Where's Wonder Man when you really need him?

MC Safety

Geez, it's just temporary. In a few issues, the lineup will revert back to:

Any combination of the big three (Captain America, Thor, Iron Man)
The one you'd never expect
A few of the second tier mainstays (Hawkeye, Vision, Wonder Man, Ant-Man, Giant Man, Wasp, Black Panther)
And the writer's personal favorite.

Personally, I like it when Marvel tries different dynamics with its team books.

Oh, and this isn't directly related to the subject of the new Avengers, but it always bothered me...

When I worked for Wizard, we oftentimes published special editions concentrating on a hero or a team. Whenever we covered a team, invariably there would be a "Last Man Standing" feature where the staff chose the hero most likely to win in a series of fights.

For the Avengers, my co-workers chose Captain America as the eventual winner. Were I a bigger nerd than I am, I might have pulled my hair out. Captain America?

They did something similar with the Justice League, opting for Batman there.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I've only recently begun to read some Marvel titles are YEARS of not bothering with them, but from what I remember, Wonder Man was killed off back in the mid-nineties, and I saw him in a recent Avengers book. Death usually doesn't mean squat when it comes to superhero comics. :)

They have different powers and different origins and such, but having Spider-Man AND Spider-Woman on the same team just feels like overkill for some reason. Ditch Luke Cage and bring in She-Hulk instead, and bring back Thor and it's an okay roster I guess. I don't know why Marvel just doesn't bring back the West Coast Avengers and put the "second tier" characters like Hawkeye on that team instead.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Because you'll end up splitting Avengers readers and The Avengers is not a top-selling book anyways.

Spider-Woman does seem a bit overkill, but I like the roster shakeup. Change is good.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Willco said:
Because you'll end up splitting Avengers readers and The Avengers is not a top-selling book anyways.

Spider-Woman does seem a bit overkill, but I like the roster shakeup. Change is good.

Change IS good, yes, but if they put the older cast into their own book, they can keep the longtime readers happy, and go nuts changing around the regular Avemgers book.

DarienA

Disco Stu said:
Personally, I like it when Marvel tries different dynamics with its team books.

The only time I liked when they've done something like this was when they did the "new" Fantastic Four for a few issue. Who was that team... Wolverine, Hulk, Spiderman and Ghost Rider IIRC....

karasu

Personally I look forward to seeing Wolverine work with a new team. His battle experience and abilities make him a perfect fit IMO. Him and Captain America are a badass duo.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
What the hell happened to Thor and The Vision??? its not the avengers without them dammit!

They should take out spider woman and cage, add namor , ghost rider and punisher. Hell bring back moonight! Put in daredevil while your at it, Wolverine doesnt need to be back in the gov agent roll that was done to death in tons of his early stories.

nomoment

DonasaurusRex said:
What the hell happened to Thor and The Vision??? its not the avengers without them dammit!

They should take out spider woman and cage, add namor , ghost rider and punisher. Hell bring back moonight! Put in daredevil while your at it, Wolverine doesnt need to be back in the gov agent roll that was done to death in tons of his early stories.
I'm glad you don't work at Marvel.

And regarding Daredevil specifically, I was incredibly relieved to see that he didn't make the team (Early rumors said he would). Guys like Ghost Rider, Punisher, Moonnight and Daredevil are loners. Why not just call the team Vigilante-Loner-Vengers while you're at it?

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Moonight is already an avenger, so is namor , hell just about everyone has done a stint with them. And Daredevil has teamed up with the FF4 alot so its not like he never teams up with people him and cap go way back how old are you 12?

Willco

Hollywood Square
DonasaurusRex said:
Moonight is already an avenger, so is namor , hell just about everyone has done a stint with them. And Daredevil has teamed up with the FF4 alot so its not like he never teams up with people him and cap go way back how old are you 12?

OH SNAP NOMO GOT SERVED.

OH IT IS ON.

nomoment

DonasaurusRex said:
They're reserve Avengers, assface. NOT REAL AVENGERS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom