• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

I dont know if this was discussed before but did some napkin research to make sense of how fast its spreading
"measles virus can live for up to two hours in an airspace where the infected person coughed or sneezed."

HCoV-19 remained viable in aerosols throughout the duration of our experiment (180 minutes) with a reduction in infectious titer 3 hours post-aerosolization from 103.5 to 102.7 CID50/L (mean across three replicates)

Not a virus expert or anything but wont this make COVID19 the most contagious thing ever? Countries could be destroying themselves over a front loaded flu (death rate highly inaccurate)

Last edited:

Sugarmonkey

I just went to taco bell and it was totally empty except for one other customer. I'm not too awful worried about getting corona virus in my town because there's not a single case in the area.

You understand that saying "there's not a single case in the area" only means that it's likely no one in your area has been tested, right? And that by going into locations that people from all over pass through might mean getting it? I'm not saying that you should worry or change your habits, that's up to you. I think it's worth going back a few pages to see that video where Italians talk to their 10 day younger selves. Their message can be summed up as "you should be taking this more seriously, right now"

Cybrwzrd

Banned
We should of literally quarantined people over 55. If you are over 55 stay home for 3 months, no contact with people except essential services. Put some people to work to deliver food and meds to them. We can video conference on smart phones with them to talk to them. Old age homes would require testing and other precautions/protections.

Sure it would suck for those old people to basically lock them away. But would that not have been better that stopping the entire world? Clearly in today's world you can't do that but I guess if you could go back in time when the first 5 or 10 cases broke out in your country and you could chose to lock away all the people over 60n a hard lock down, or everyone which would you chose?

That’s a great idea and all, but look at the hospitalization #s of younger people in Italy and Korea, it would still overrun the system.

You understand that saying "there's not a single case in the area" only means that it's likely no one in your area has been tested, right? And that by going into locations that people from all over pass through might mean getting it? I'm not saying that you should worry or change your habits, that's up to you. I think it's worth going back a few pages to see that video where Italians talk to their 10 day younger selves. Their message can be summed up as "you should be taking this more seriously, right now"

I do take it seriously. And I do know there is a chance of people who have simply been undiagnosed. However, I wanted to go out to eat one last time before all the restaurants go to drive through only. I washed my hands very well afterwards and did not even touch the bathroom door to exit (I used a paper towel to open it).

Sejan

Free month or two of Game Pass would generate some serious good will.

Maybe Sony/MS could partner with devs and do a PS Plus/Xbox Gold type thing but a special Covid-19 giveaway to encourage people to stay at home. Not the worst idea honestly.

I’m honestly surprised we haven’t seen at least indie dev just give their game away. Indie devs can be pretty awesome like that. I do believe that we will see something from an indie or the big three before this is over.

Nevada gov orders closure of all non-essential businesses for 30 days, starts noon tomorrow.

All gaming (i.e. GAMBLING) to stop as well. Cannot gamble in Nevada as of midnight tonight for 30 days.

Last edited:
But that's what I'm saying. Get the older population in isolation and problem solved, right?

Not exactly; I know there are cases where people in their 20s have died from this. You'd have to also quarantine anybody that had a history of respiratory problems regardless of age. And on and on......

Also, speaking from personal experience, there are companies (esp. in manufacturing) where a good chunk of the workforce (both in management and production) is over +55. There would still be economic ramifications.

I just read a post on a forum where someone said their local gas station's produce department ad yellow tape around it because they were prohibited from selling fresh produce due to the fact corona virus can stay viable for three hours in the air.

Sakura

We should of literally quarantined people over 55. If you are over 55 stay home for 3 months, no contact with people except essential services. Put some people to work to deliver food and meds to them. We can video conference on smart phones with them to talk to them. Old age homes would require testing and other precautions/protections.

Sure it would suck for those old people to basically lock them away. But would that not have been better that stopping the entire world? Clearly in today's world you can't do that but I guess if you could go back in time when the first 5 or 10 cases broke out in your country and you could chose to lock away all the people over 60n a hard lock down, or everyone which would you chose?

You are immensely underestimating how much of the work force is made up of 55+. Not to mention them as consumers. Removing them from society would cause the economy to crash too. And in your proposal, who the hell knows when the isolation would ever end, because it would be spreading around unchecked throughout the rest of the population.
Many of these people also live with others, are raising children, etc. Isolating them all for months, maybe longer, is just not feasible.
And of course, the hospitals would still be overrun.

A lockdown for everyone sucks, but if it is done properly, then it only has to be done for a month or so.

cryptoadam

Banned
That’s a great idea and all, but look at the hospitalization #s of younger people in Italy and Korea, it would still overrun the system.

Very well could be, but maybe we could of tried that first to see if it would of worked. Still would have young people in hospital but probably a lot less, and also a lot less in ICU as that skews much older. It may have failed, but it with hindsight I think we should of tried that option first.

China numbers but

40-49 was 5% hospital
50-59 10%
60-69 16%
70-79 25%
80+ 28%

and the requiring critical care (ICU)

6%
12%
27.4%
43.2%
70.9%

I don't know seems like a better idea to try that first. But I guess no one wants to try the herd immunity thing so lockdowns it is.

You are immensely underestimating how much of the work force is made up of 55+. Not to mention them as consumers. Removing them from society would cause the economy to crash too. And in your proposal, who the hell knows when the isolation would ever end, because it would be spreading around unchecked throughout the rest of the population.
Many of these people also live with others, are raising children, etc. Isolating them all for months, maybe longer, is just not feasible.
And of course, the hospitals would still be overrun.

A lockdown for everyone sucks, but if it is done properly, then it only has to be done for a month or so.

The realization I'm seeing is that it's a long term problem. We lock down for a bit and then everyone goes back to normal and we're right back where we started from. Either we lock down for 12-18 months or we find a vaccine or we write off old people dying as acceptable losses.

US and Canada preparing joint statement that could suspend non-essential travel between the two countries
From CNN's Jeremy Diamond

The United States and Canada are preparing to issue a joint statement that could suspend non-essential travel between the two countries in the next 24 to 48 hours, a Trump administration official tells CNN.
The agreement is not yet finalized and officials are still working to define "non-essential travel," but the official stressed that the new restrictions will ensure that business and trade between the two countries can continue.

more

Hawaii governor asks visitors to postpone their vacations
A US state heavily dependent on tourism dollars is making the extraordinary request for visitors to stay away due to the coronavirus.
Speaking at a news conference in Honolulu on Tuesday, Hawaii Gov. David Ige said, “I am strongly encouraging our guests to postpone their vacations for at least the next 30 days and reschedule it for a later date.”

more

MetalAlien

Banned
Nevada gov orders closure of all non-essential businesses for 30 days, starts noon tomorrow.

All gaming (i.e. GAMBLING) to stop as well. Cannot gamble in Nevada as of midnight tonight for 30 days.

Can confirm... this whole town is about to shut down

lachesis

Fresh data from Korea (3.17 00:00 ~ 3.18 00:00)

8,931 newly tested
93 additional cases (8,413 total)
139 released from quarantine
3 additional deaths (84 total)

While the daily increases are still in the double digits (as opposed to the triple digits from last week), it jumped back up into the 90s. Guess the watch is still on.

I'm seeing quite a few Korean media euphoria (over other countries praising their system) and following consensus among population that the worst is over = it's safer now sentiment. Some of the churches re-opened against government recommendation, and some cram schools (not the public schools) are re-opening. I am afraid that if they are not careful a bit longer... things could just explode once again, straining already exhausted medical staff and all.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
If some of you live in the Denver area and aren't need of TP but need food, there's more frozen chicken and fish than you can shake a stick at at local Costcos

Obviously if power goes out, we're in trouble. But honestly we're in a much larger situation than we're currently in if power goes out.

On a side note, I'm on a waiting list for a couple Amazon's $35 bidet extensions. Apparently they're going to ship in April.

I'm seeing quite a few Korean media euphoria (over other countries praising their system) and following consensus among population that the worst is over = it's safer now sentiment. Some of the churches re-opened against government recommendation, and some cram schools (not the public schools) are re-opening. I am afraid that if they are not careful a bit longer... things could just explode once again, straining already exhausted medical staff and all.

I agree with that. Thankfully, the general populace generally seems to be going on a "better safe than sorry" basis though, a lot of masks still being worn and public restrooms now have lines at the sink, as opposed to the toilets.

And let me tell you, the government response is an endless topic of debate in the Korean online forums. With general elections originally scheduled for April (although I haven't checked to see whether it's been rescheduled) this was going to be a massive political issue with a ruling party that has lost a lot of the wave of popularity it rode in on.

School openings have been pushed back to the beginning of April at the earliest. On a more positive note, it's forcibly introduced telecommuting to a lot of companies, albeit with mixed results.

Sam Harris has a new podcast up on kung flu. HIghly highly recommend people give it a listen.

I believe the first 60% of it is available for free through his website, spotify or itunes.

"In this episode of the podcast, Sam Harris and Paul Bloom speak about the psychology of adapting to the coronavirus pandemic, the disastrous analogy between coronavirus and flu, the political siloing of information, true and false concerns over “panic,” pressuring China to close down their live animal markets, the economic implications and possible silver linings of the pandemic, what our response suggests about our ability to deal with climate change, Biden vs Sanders, the ethics of praising one’s enemies, and other topics."

lock2k

Banned
It's just a flu bro, calm down. You have 90% chance of survival.

dcfZDig.png

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?

What about places that deliver food like Pizza Hut or something?

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Ok so at least this is good.

"Restaurants that can provide delivery, drive-through, pick-up or curbside service will also be allowed to stay open, but no sit-down dining will be allowed."
Wyoming is thrilled because they have drive-thru liquor stores ;)

Some remote places in Wyoming you can order a Bloody Mary and they'll give you it in a coffee cup with a piece of tape over the top of the sippy lid so it's "sealed"

God I love that state.

Siri

Banned
5 dead colleagues? Oh man......my condolences.

No, no... 5 residents.... but that’s in just ten days.

This is a care-home, btw. Of note is the word ‘home’. A very large one, in this case. Our facility is NOT a hospital. We don’t have the same equipment as a hospital, nor are our staff as well trained (nor are they as well paid - not nearly).

Essentially, ours is a home that happens to be filled with elderly people who have sever immune deficiencies.

Quick summary:

Day one: a single nurse is diagnosed with Covid19, but unfortunately she’s the first ‘community spread’. This means that in B.C. the virus cannot be traced back, and therefore cannot be contained.

Day 10: 17 residents are positive as well as 14 care-givers (at least). 5 are dead. More are sick. Staff members are so frightened they aren’t going to work. Everyone’s overworked and completely stressed. Everyone’s fighting an enemy they can’t see. It feels like it’s everywhere.

If you had told me that within ten days of one person testing positive all of B.C. would begin to shut down, I would’ve walked away thinking you insane. Which is exactly how my family and friends treated me for the first seven days. I tried to warn everyone about what was coming - but all they did was get angry. Finally they’re coming around. Weirdly, they seem to think that they knew perfectly well what was coming - and that I was just being hysterical.

Lesson to be learnt: Care Homes are going to be hammered.
———————

BTW, one of my favourite residents passed away today after testing positive three days ago. I will miss him.

Last edited:

This is a care-home, btw. Of note is the word ‘home’. A very large one, in this case. Our facility is NOT a hospital. We don’t have the same equipment as a hospital, nor are our staff as well trained (nor are they as well paid - not nearly).

Essentially, ours is a home that happens to be filled with elderly people who have sever immune deficiencies.

Quick summary:

Day one: a single nurse is diagnosed with Covid19, but unfortunately she’s the first ‘community spread’. This means that in B.C. the virus cannot be traced back, and therefore cannot be contained.

Day 10: 17 residents are positive as well as 14 care-givers (at least). 5 are dead. More are sick. Staff members are so frightened they aren’t going to work. Everyone’s overworked and completely stressed. Everyone’s fighting an enemy they can’t see. It feels like it’s everywhere.

If you had told me that within ten days of one person testing positive all of B.C. would begin to shut down, I would’ve walked away thinking you insane. Which is exactly how my family and friends treated me for the first seven days. I tried to warn everyone about what was coming - but all they did was get angry. Finally now they’re coming around. Weirdly, they seem to think now that actually they knew perfectly well what was coming - and I was just being hysterical.

———————

BTW, one of my favourite residents passed away today after testing positive three days ago. I will miss him.
Man, I'm so sorry to hear that.
Are your coworkers at least getting better?

Hotspurr

Banned
Based on how things have been unfolding just over the last 2 days...shit looks to be quite fucked.
I'm switching my work schedule to fully from home and I suggest everyone do the same if you can. Don't play the lottery with this thing.

Kagey K

Banned

Quick summary:

If you had told me that within ten days of one person testing positive all of B.C. would begin to shut down, I would’ve walked away thinking you insane. Which is exactly how my family and friends treated me for the first seven days. I tried to warn everyone about what was coming - but all they did was get angry. Finally they’re coming around. Weirdly, they seem to think that they knew perfectly well what was coming - and that I was just being hysterical.

———————

How many of the 83 people announced today were in that home? If you don’t mind me asking. Just trying to see how bad the spread is outside of it. You are in the BC one right?

14 colleagues sick. 5 dead.

I’m still trying to figure out how to protect my mother.

damn, awful
thanks for checking in, do your best to protect yourself and your family

Quick summary:

———————

damn man

squallheart

Quick summary:

———————

My condolences. I work at a care home as well and this is our main concern. We have a lot of philipinos working for us and some are coming back from visiting their countries and worried they will bring it here. So far the manager has forced them to quarantine but another facility had one girl comeback and let her work without getting checked out. Then some person that doesn't work at our facility went to that one and decided to show up at our facility knowing were on lockdown so now we're paranoid if he brought it over. These people don't understand how serious this is.

I'll just keep the updates going, can't get too depressed now. Stay informed and stay alert of changes is all I can do

kinda late shutting down these Casinos must have been a tough fight for him to get it done

CNN Philippines goes off air after coronavirus case confirmed
From CNN’s Karen Smith in Atlanta

CNN affiliate CNN Philippines is temporarily off-air for at least for 24 hours, after learning a confirmed coronavirus patient had visited a building within the office complex they occupy.
CNN Philippines says the entire office complex in Metro Manila will be disinfected. The coronavirus patient had visited another tenant in the same building complex.
Several CNN Philippines staff members had been working from home already and they will continue to provide news through its website and social media platforms, said the network.

more

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Because you are supporting the system of taking money and giving it to others if you accept the UBI. It makes you complicit.

The recipient of a public scholarship is morally justified only so long as he regards it as restitution and opposes all forms of welfare statism. Those who advocate public scholarships, have no right to them; those who oppose them, have. If this sounds like a paradox, the fault lies in the moral contradictions of welfare statism, not in its victims.

Since there is no such thing as the right of some men to vote away the rights of others, and no such thing as the right of the government to seize the property of some men for the unearned benefit of others—the advocates and supporters of the welfare state are morally guilty of robbing their opponents, and the fact that the robbery is legalized makes it morally worse, not better. The victims do not have to add self-inflicted martyrdom to the injury done to them by others; they do not have to let the looters profit doubly, by letting them distribute the money exclusively to the parasites who clamored for it. Whenever the welfare-state laws offer them some small restitution, the victims should take it . . . .

The same moral principles and considerations apply to the issue of accepting social security, unemployment insurance or other payments of that kind. It is obvious, in such cases, that a man receives his own money which was taken from him by force, directly and specifically, without his consent, against his own choice. Those who advocated such laws are morally guilty, since they assumed the “right” to force employers and unwilling co-workers. But the victims, who opposed such laws, have a clear right to any refund of their own money—and they would not advance the cause of freedom if they left their money, unclaimed, for the benefit of the welfare-state administration.

South Korea's Vice Health Minister is in self-quarantine, as cluster infections continue
South Korea's Vice Health Minister Kim Ganglip is in self-quarantine, after attending a government meeting last week with another participant who tested positive today.

The infected attendee is the president of Bundang Jesaeng Hospital in Seongnam City, Gyeonggi Province, where cluster transmissions have been reported at a church and a hospital.

Other government officials and participants at the meeting, which took place last Friday, are also in self-quarantine.

This comes as cluster transmissions continue in the country.
The country reported 93 new cases and 84 deaths on Wednesday -- still in keeping with. more general trend of decreasing infection rates, compared to hundreds of new cases a day just weeks ago. But the outbreak is far from over, with new clusters identified this week.

One major cluster is still in the southern city of Daegu, where the outbreak has been concentrated. In one hospital in Daegu, 74 cases have been confirmed.

South Korea are troopers hope the last of the clusters fade soon

Quick summary:

———————

Sorry to hear that S Siri and thanks for the update. I hope they manage to keep everyone else there alive.. this thing seems to have a mind of its own. Hopefully you don't come down with anything either!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom