• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
There is some pushback against it with people saying "muh rightZ" and "muh freedomZ".

But fuck them and fuck every anti-vaxxer frankly. Getting people vaccinated as fast as we can, or at least getting to herd immunity as fast as we can is in everyones best interest.

If I were the government I would make the shot mandatory and this fucking covid hell would end next week.
Excuse me kind sir, but I am not anti-vax. For most people I’m glad they are getting vaccinated and believe people should be free to get the vaccination if they want.

I will not be getting one. I’ve already had covid and by the time I feel like it would be my turn to get one, everyone else around would have already gotten theirs (actually they pretty much already have) so there’s no need for me to get one.

So, to all those who think we should shove all no-vax sub-humans into a Warsaw ghetto and prepare them for the final solution can take that armband and shove it up their ass.

Pardon my French.

Bluntman

I'm fully vaccinated but I don't think we need to be putting special armbands on the non-vaccinated and making them sub human like many want to.
Well, we disagree then.

I hope they expand the card system and won't even let unvaccinated people use the public transport or something radical like this. I doubt they would tho unfortunately :(

Bluntman

Excuse me kind sir, but I am not anti-vax. For most people I’m glad they are getting vaccinated and believe people should be free to get the vaccination if they want.

I will not be getting one. I’ve already had covid and by the time I feel like it would be my turn to get one, everyone else around would have already gotten theirs (actually they pretty much already have) so there’s no need for me to get one.

So, to all those who think we should shove all no-vax sub-humans into a Warsaw ghetto and prepare them for the final solution can take that armband and shove it up their ass.

Pardon my French.
Well yes but I forgot to mention that you also get a card if you got covid before. So that's fine.

Actually one of the point of reaching herd immunity as fast as we can is to protect the people who for some reason can't get vaccinated. That's a point I think many ppl tend to forget.

Last edited:
I had a doc's visit yesterday and they asked me if I was fully vaxxed. I said yes. They asked to see the card. I said I have a picture of it on my phone, and they said no they need the actual card. I think they meant to take a scan of it for their records. I'm definitely not carrying my card around in person now. I really hate how doctor's offices need a photo copy of everything for "reasons".

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
I had a doc's visit yesterday and they asked me if I was fully vaxxed. I said yes. They asked to see the card. I said I have a picture of it on my phone, and they said no they need the actual card. I think they meant to take a scan of it for their records. I'm definitely not carrying my card around in person now. I really hate how doctor's offices need a photo copy of everything for "reasons".

I keep mine in my wallet. But in the US if you got it through your health care provider you should be on record of getting it.

Last edited:

Liljagare

Dang NABBIT! Probarly won't get jabbed until August they say now.. This is going so slowly over here in Sweden.

Found a interesting piece on Vitamin D and Corona, glad I am supplementing.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Dang NABBIT! Probarly won't get jabbed until August they say now.. This is going so slowly over here in Sweden.

Found a interesting piece on Vitamin D and Corona, glad I am supplementing.

When I got my first jab and in the observation tent and they were going over the possible side effects I mentioned that I'll still take Vitamin D and the doc said (kind of under his breath) that if everyone was doing that things wouldn't have got as bad as they did.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Well yes but I forgot to mention that you also get a card if you got covid before. So that's fine.

Actually one of the point of reaching herd immunity as fast as we can is to protect the people who for some reason can't get vaccinated. That's a point I think many ppl tend to forget.
Oh goodie! I’m glad I get a pass. Oh, except I had it and didnt get tested since it was fairly obvious I had it what with all the symptoms I had. As in I had all the symptoms associated with COVID. So, there’s no record of me having it.

I guess it’s off to the gulag with me!

Last edited:

Bluntman

Oh goodie! I’m glad I get a pass. Oh, except I had it and didnt get tested since it was fairly obvious I had it what with all the symptoms I had. As in I had all the symptoms associated with COVID. So, there’s no record of me having it.

I guess it’s off to the gulag with me!

Well it was nice knowing you anyway :D

Ascend

There is some pushback against it with people saying "muh rightZ" and "muh freedomZ".

But fuck them and fuck every anti-vaxxer frankly. Getting people vaccinated as fast as we can, or at least getting to herd immunity as fast as we can is in everyones best interest.

If I were the government I would make the shot mandatory and this fucking covid hell would end next week.
The fact that you immediately put the ones that don't want the vaccine in the category of anti-vaxxer says a lot. Things are not as black and white

I'm fully vaccinated but I don't think we need to be putting special armbands on the non-vaccinated and making them sub human like many want to.
He is completely right. Right now we are creating two classes of citizens. If you don't see that as an issue, I don't know what to tell you. Medicine should never be politicized. That is a recipe for disaster, as has been shown time and time again. This is the typical divide & conquer strategy. All those conspiracy theorists that were talking about a global oppression, well. I just say, look at what is happening around you. Basic rights are gone. Maybe you don't care, but, in what world will your children live in? I have two daughters, and trust me, I don't want a world where they will be treated like trash because they don't want to take something that neither the government nor the corporations have any liability for.

And lastly, I will leave you with this. Everyone, especially during these times, should be asking themselves how Hitler got so many followers, and how all those atrocities were committed by so many people. He definitely didn't do it alone. And there are huge parallels between what is happening now, and what was happening then.
Be careful of your thoughts, because they will drive your opinions, and your actions.

When I got my first jab and in the observation tent and they were going over the possible side effects I mentioned that I'll still take Vitamin D and the doc said (kind of under his breath) that if everyone was doing that things wouldn't have got as bad as they did.

Prime opportunity for marketing wizards to put “now with vitamin D!” on a bunch of food packaging.

Chaplain

Video: Patients concerned with headaches & blood clots after vaccines // DOCTOR Covid-19 Vlog #34
Update from the Emergency Department in the UK; we are seeing a fair number of people presenting with concerns over blood clots following vaccinations after the increased awareness and media coverage.

Video: What It's Like To Work At A Crematorium In India As The Death Toll Mounts
India had 360,960 new COVID-19 cases in one day this week, marking the world's largest single-day total. The country has nearly 18 million infections and more than 200,000 people have already died. One man is doing what he can to honor those whose lives have been cut short by the virus.

Video: Philosopher Matthew B. Crawford: Science has become corrupted
‘Following the science’ is a phrase that we have heard a lot of this year, but what does it actually mean? Over the past year, science has shifted from a mode of inquiry to a form of authority that you are not allowed to question in fear of being labelled ‘anti-science’. To understand how and why this has occurred, we spoke to philosopher and writer Matthew B. Crawford, who has a full-length piece in UnHerd on this very subject.

// Timecodes //
00:24 - Intro
01:43 - Political legitimacy in a pandemic
04:41 - Science vs scientism
10:01 - The crisis of scientific authority
12:44 - Commercial science
16:10 - Climate-gate
19:18 - Scientific and moral knowledge monopoly
21:21 - Morality as a public health problem
27:21 - Over-scepticism
30:47 - China
33:38 - Politics of fear
35:47 - Society post-pandemic

Last edited:

Bluntman

The fact that you immediately put the ones that don't want the vaccine in the category of anti-vaxxer says a lot. Things are not as black and white

He is completely right. Right now we are creating two classes of citizens. If you don't see that as an issue, I don't know what to tell you. Medicine should never be politicized. That is a recipe for disaster, as has been shown time and time again. This is the typical divide & conquer strategy. All those conspiracy theorists that were talking about a global oppression, well. I just say, look at what is happening around you. Basic rights are gone. Maybe you don't care, but, in what world will your children live in? I have two daughters, and trust me, I don't want a world where they will be treated like trash because they don't want to take something that neither the government nor the corporations have any liability for.

And lastly, I will leave you with this. Everyone, especially during these times, should be asking themselves how Hitler got so many followers, and how all those atrocities were committed by so many people. He definitely didn't do it alone. And there are huge parallels between what is happening now, and what was happening then.
Be careful of your thoughts, because they will drive your opinions, and your actions.

You are insane and need help.

You would of fit in with people in nazi Germany.

Is every anti-vaxxer a conspiracy theory nut?

Imagining the second coming of Hitler because people need a card to do some stuff for a few weeks until herd immunity is reached (ie. opening up some things instead of keeping everything closed).

How awful, yeah right.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber

Imagining the second coming of Hitler because people need a card to do some stuff for a few weeks until herd immunity is reached (ie. opening up some things instead of keeping everything closed).

How awful, yeah right.

You really think creating a new caste system where vaccinated people are treated as normal and non-vaccinated people are shoved into the sewers like inhuman trash would only last "a few weeks"?

Methos#1975

How awful, yeah right.
I went through rounds of the Anthrax vaccine that was forced on us in the military when it was barely tested but pushed as safe by the leadership and US government, I'm now suffering from respitory issues due to it and God know what else. I had a friend die in his sleep years after his last shot due to issues that were traced back to the anthrax vaccine. So I'll take a hard fucking pass on this shoved out vaccine. Not because I'm a anti Vexxer, but because I'm not a fucking moron. I learned my lesson the hard way already with these untested tossed out vaccines.

Last edited:

Udham

As the 2nd wave ravages India, Biden admin has taken correct call to stop Air-traffic from India.
The Double-mutant variant spreads faster and even putting the vaccinated ones to risk.
Worse part is, unlike the first wave, hospitalization requirement has increased multi-fold.
The variant is now spreading to Nepal and even cited in few cities in China.

We have run out of Medical Oxygen and now largely using Industrial Oxygen, which has >95% purity.
Import of Oxygen, special cryogenic tankers, O2 concentrators is on full swing.
The peak will come around mid-may but we are losing 3000ppl everyday officially, there are a lot of uncounted deaths, so I would put the number to 6K per day.

Hulk_Smash

Banned

How awful, yeah right.
You’re the one that wants people forced against their will to take the vaccine. What do you think that leads to for people like me? I’m never getting one and every time I start to be convinced to get one, I hear people like you talk like that and I nope the fuck out again.

Don’t take the vaccine? Get fined or go to jail. Don’t pay the fine? Go to jail. Don’t think you should be in jail and decide to resist arrest? Get ready for a cop beat down.

What scenario of resisting a mandatory vaccine doesn’t end up with people in jail?

Even if you do something sinister like say not force people to get the vaccine but force all businesses to card everyone before they enter, well then that just means you’ll be arrested when the business owner calls the cops in you.

Here’s the thing: you are just as selfish as I am. You want your freedoms back, too. You said as much. You don’t give a shit about anyone’s health. And you truly believe that the only way to get YOUR freedoms back is for ME to get vacc.

If you want your freedoms back it is real simple: Go protest your local government office. They’re the only ones holding us back. Not covid, not unvaccinated. The gov. Go protest them.

Last edited:

Udham

I thought this was debunked and the vaccines still protect against it.

AstraZeneca isn’t effective against South African variant, which has been administered to 80% of those who have been jabbed. It is not yet clinically tried against Double-mutant, (but I guess it does work against controlled environment) but since its not working against SA variant, likely it will not be much effective.

Other Home-grown one Covaxin, uses inactive Covid virus, has been proven to be effective against all major mutations.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
AstraZeneca isn’t effective against South African variant, which has been administered to 80% of those who have been jabbed. It is not yet clinically tried against Double-mutant, (but I guess it does work against controlled environment) but since its not working against SA variant, likely it will not be much effective.

Other Home-grown one Covaxin, uses inactive Covid virus, has been proven to be effective against all major mutations.

Udham

We don't have Pfizer available yet, its Covishield(AstraZeneca) or Covaxin.
Will get Sputnik in coming weeks and may be J&J in July.
Pfizer may also start around July, but they don't have license.
Then comes Novavax....

Jezbollah

The AZ vaccine is only 10% effective against mild and moderate SA variant cases, but is still likely to reduce severe illnesses and deaths from the strain.

Sejan

As the 2nd wave ravages India, Biden admin has taken correct call to stop Air-traffic from India.
The Double-mutant variant spreads faster and even putting the vaccinated ones to risk.
Worse part is, unlike the first wave, hospitalization requirement has increased multi-fold.
The variant is now spreading to Nepal and even cited in few cities in China.

We have run out of Medical Oxygen and now largely using Industrial Oxygen, which has >95% purity.
Import of Oxygen, special cryogenic tankers, O2 concentrators is on full swing.
The peak will come around mid-may but we are losing 3000ppl everyday officially, there are a lot of uncounted deaths, so I would put the number to 6K per day.
My guess is that the hospitalization rate if the double mutant isn’t any worse than any other variant. India is in a tough situation to gauge that sort of information right now. For example, several areas are reportedly out of tests or very close to running out. This note alone will drastically decrease the official count of cases for people with mild symptoms (not worth the increasingly rate tests) artificially increasing the rate of official cases with worse symptoms. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if the official case rate of 400,000 in India is significantly off.

India has long been seen as a worst case scenario situation since it combines poverty with population density in a way that enables Covid to spread.

In the end, we will have to wait for more information from more sources to effectively gauge this variant.

Udham

My guess is that the hospitalization rate if the double mutant isn’t any worse than any other variant. India is in a tough situation to gauge that sort of information right now. For example, several areas are reportedly out of tests or very close to running out. This note alone will drastically decrease the official count of cases for people with mild symptoms (not worth the increasingly rate tests) artificially increasing the rate of official cases with worse symptoms. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if the official case rate of 400,000 in India is significantly off.

India has long been seen as a worst case scenario situation since it combines poverty with population density in a way that enables Covid to spread.

In the end, we will have to wait for more information from more sources to effectively gauge this variant.

Well, right now it seems like that, rate of hospitalization is much higher than how it was last year.
My co-worker was infected last year in April and beat it in 7 days, living in isolation having Zinc and Vitamins.
He got it again this year and spent 5 days in hospital, had to be given whole bunch of meds.

This time since there is no nation-wide lockdown, Covid has travelled depp into the country where healthcare facilities barely exist.
There are lot of invisible deaths and of course infection numbers must be 5x of what they put up officially.

The AZ vaccine is only 10% effective against mild and moderate SA variant cases, but is still likely to reduce severe illnesses and deaths from the strain.

Yep, AZ is not great.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!

Pardon my French.

It's your own health and all, I won't knock you, but a few things to consider: recovering from COVID-19 will provide antibodies for a short period of time, but it is nowhere near as effective as the vaccine. And also, it's in the best interest of the overall public's health for everyone to get vaccinated - it benefits more than just yourself.

But cheers, I don't want to come off like I'm preaching to you. Myself, I am counting down the days to my second shot and that fourteenth day afterwards.

Ascend

This statement has so many issues, I don't even know where to begin.

I vaccinated my daughters. That should tell you everything. But to avoid any confusion, not wanting to take one rushed out vaccine does not mean someone is an anti-vaxxer.
Secondly, history speaks for itself. Knowing how masses are manipulated does not make someone a "conspiracy theory nut".
And in light of that, I will just leave this here...

It's not about Hitler. Read again. It is about how his followers committed atrocities. Everyone sees Hitler as evil right now, but what would your choice have been if you were living at that time? That is the point.

How awful, yeah right.
It can become extremely ugly if you're not careful. Don't say you weren't warned.

Constitutions and basic human rights are there for a reason. And in case you haven't noticed, globally, the most basic human rights are being chipped away. Whether it's for the right reasons or not, the fact is that it is still happening based on a virus with a shady background history is suspicious. And if you don't think so, you have some homework to do.

It's your own health and all, I won't knock you, but a few things to consider: recovering from COVID-19 will provide antibodies for a short period of time, but it is nowhere near as effective as the vaccine. And also, it's in the best interest of the overall public's health for everyone to get vaccinated - it benefits more than just yourself.

But cheers, I don't want to come off like I'm preaching to you. Myself, I am counting down the days to my second shot and that fourteenth day afterwards.
Hey man, I'm with you but gotta point out, 7-8 months is not a "short period of time". And that's the minimum. It's protective for "at least" that long. Now some people don't mount good immune responses and can get reinfected much sooner but from the data available that is not the norm. You're accidentally spreading misinformation on that one.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Hey man, I'm with you but gotta point out, 7-8 months is not a "short period of time". And that's the minimum. It's protective for "at least" that long. Now some people don't mount good immune responses and can get reinfected much sooner but from the data available that is not the norm. You're accidentally spreading misinformation on that one.

We won't know everything about this for probably years, just like with the first SARS, but there are cases of people recovering and then being infected again within several months (as you pointed out) and developing more severe than mild symptoms. Meanwhile, the immune response triggered by the mRNA vaccines have not only shown to be over 99% effective against future reinfections but have also proven effective against the various new strains (to various percentages). So no, I wasn't spreading misinformation. As has always been the case since their advent, the individual's best bet as well as the herd's lay with the vaccines.

Bluntman

This statement has so many issues, I don't even know where to begin.

I vaccinated my daughters. That should tell you everything. But to avoid any confusion, not wanting to take one rushed out vaccine does not mean someone is an anti-vaxxer.
Secondly, history speaks for itself. Knowing how masses are manipulated does not make someone a "conspiracy theory nut".
And in light of that, I will just leave this here...

It's not about Hitler. Read again. It is about how his followers committed atrocities. Everyone sees Hitler as evil right now, but what would your choice have been if you were living at that time? That is the point.

It can become extremely ugly if you're not careful. Don't say you weren't warned.

Constitutions and basic human rights are there for a reason. And in case you haven't noticed, globally, the most basic human rights are being chipped away. Whether it's for the right reasons or not, the fact is that it is still happening based on a virus with a shady background history is suspicious. And if you don't think so, you have some homework to do.
You’re the one that wants people forced against their will to take the vaccine. What do you think that leads to for people like me? I’m never getting one and every time I start to be convinced to get one, I hear people like you talk like that and I nope the fuck out again.

Don’t take the vaccine? Get fined or go to jail. Don’t pay the fine? Go to jail. Don’t think you should be in jail and decide to resist arrest? Get ready for a cop beat down.

What scenario of resisting a mandatory vaccine doesn’t end up with people in jail?

Even if you do something sinister like say not force people to get the vaccine but force all businesses to card everyone before they enter, well then that just means you’ll be arrested when the business owner calls the cops in you.

Here’s the thing: you are just as selfish as I am. You want your freedoms back, too. You said as much. You don’t give a shit about anyone’s health. And you truly believe that the only way to get YOUR freedoms back is for ME to get vacc.

If you want your freedoms back it is real simple: Go protest your local government office. They’re the only ones holding us back. Not covid, not unvaccinated. The gov. Go protest them.

I hear you guys, I just don't see this as big of a thing as you do I guess. Why would the governments want to make some people "second class" in the long term? What would be the point? The economy is suffering as is, it would be in everyones best interest to let everyone go and consume everywhere.

If a government could just open up everything despite the number of vaccinated people, I would prefer that obviously. No vaccines forced on anyone. But no government would risk overwhelming the healthcare system like that, so vaccination seems to be the only road to freedomz.

And you are right, I'm selfish in a way that I want the world back where it was. Not just freedomz, but I'd like to see the economy going again, to travel abroad without the hassle etc...

We won't know everything about this for probably years, just like with the first SARS, but there are cases of people recovering and then being infected again within several months (as you pointed out) and developing more severe than mild symptoms. Meanwhile, the immune response triggered by the mRNA vaccines have not only shown to be over 99% effective against future reinfections but have also proven effective against the various new strains (to various percentages). So no, I wasn't spreading misinformation. As has always been the case since their advent, the individual's best bet as well as the herd's lay with the vaccines.
No you were though. You just pivoted to something unrelated (the effectiveness of the vaccines) and used that to counter what I said. I was merely disputing your time table for natural immunity which you kinda misleadingly described as short.

BadBurger

No you were though. You just pivoted to something unrelated (the effectiveness of the vaccines) and used that to counter what I said. I was merely disputing your time table for natural immunity which you kinda misleadingly described as short.

I do get what you were saying, but this all needs to be taken in its entirety - it's not unrelated but rather directly related. We can't merely cherry pick something like the currently known average duration of immunity against the original strain past recovery when discussing the total picture effectiveness of the vaccines vs natural immunity.

Udham

My point is that it's better to have it than not to have any vaccine. And the UK numbers are proof that AZ is working as needed.

Of course. Having any vaccine is better than having no vaccine at all.

we have bit of choice with Covaxin around, but only problem is that it’s short in supply as production was delayed and hasn’t ramped up fully.

My aunt who is 76, recovered within a week, she was on AZ, it didn’t go to severe stage, remained mild.

Jezbollah

Of course. Having any vaccine is better than having no vaccine at all.

we have bit of choice with Covaxin around, but only problem is that it’s short in supply as production was delayed and hasn’t ramped up fully.

My aunt who is 76, recovered within a week, she was on AZ, it didn’t go to severe stage, remained mild.

It's only going to be better once the other vaccines exit phase 3 testing and get approval. Even out the strain on specific vaccines and their supply chain.

Plus add in the variant booster jabs that will come later this year and we'll be looking roseier!

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber

The event is intended to celebrate the U.S. vaccination campaign as well as help ensure people in other countries get vaccines. The audience will be made up of fully vaccinated healthcare and other essential workers, and they’ll be required to show proof of vaccination, according to the organizers.

Global Citizen representatives say they have worked with county and state public health authorities to ensure multiple layers of safety precautions. Attendees are required to wear double-layered disposable or cloth masks when they’re not eating or drinking. Neck gaiters and bandannas won’t be permitted, and security guards will enforce masking rules, organizers say.

This is becoming comedy. Put on a concert with fully vaccinated people to try to get people to get the shot, but require them to wear masks and have security enforcing the masking. If you're going to force people to wear masks at gunpoint even after being vaccinated, that's not helping the cause.

Sejan

This is becoming comedy. Put on a concert with fully vaccinated people to try to get people to get the shot, but require them to wear masks and have security enforcing the masking. If you're going to force people to wear masks at gunpoint even after being vaccinated, that's not helping the cause.
More so, it is reenforcing the idea that the vaccine is ineffective on the whole. Demanding masks for the vaccinated strongly suggests that leadership has no faith in the vaccine they are pushing.

Last edited:
I don't know who of you are religious. I know I'm not terribly religious these days but seeing the situation in India has me going on my knees to pray to someone for help. Anyone.

I have friends here at work who are losing friends, relatives and everything else to covid back in India.

:messenger_crying: :messenger_crying: :messenger_crying:

I have not peeked in here in a long time. Just don't want to think about this as much as I once did but everyday I find I have to try hard to not think about it.

I almost died in February and was in medical ICU for 10 days but it had nothing to do with COVID19, Sickle Cell Disease wanted to take me out.

After getting out of the hospital I just wanted to work and live as long as I can now. I got my vax shot it was the Johnson and Johnson one shot thing before they found out about the 6 bloodclot issue out of 6 million or something.

I've been to India so I do feel a bit more pain to see reports and numbers climb. This shit is going to end someday right?

Methos#1975

Maybe pay your employees a decent wage and they'll work for you.
It's definitely due to the stimulus packages and UI extensions. Not even debatable. Many jobs in my area start out at $18 a hour and offer sign up bonuses and they still aren't getting applications and this is in a low COL area where that's pretty decent pay.Head count where I work is dismal and we aren't getting anyone and they pay more than $20 a hour. Reality is people are lazy as fuck and just want free money, until these UI extensions end and the free money stops flowing this will continue. You offer the people the choice at sitting at home on their ass and being paid or working for a check, many due to zero sense of work ethic are going to choose the free check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom