• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: New Poster and Teaser Revealed

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Shepard. I want Shepard. Don't want anything else. No Shepard no care.

Is that even possible?

Also.

Shepard was already brought back in Mass Effect 2. Do we really want to do that again

No. I'd be happy with a new character starting a new trilogy. This time let me choose my race as well. I want to play as a bad ass, sex crazed Krogan.

Reactions: stn

Drizzlehell

Banned
The design looks nothing like Mass Effect

Too "stylish"

I have zero hopes that Bioware will make a good game. The Bioware from the originals is long gone.
It's too early and there's too little information to say anything yet, but I'm honestly bracing myself for the worst based on what you said. All the passion, talent, and creativity is just gone from that company and has been for a loooong time now. There is just no way I can imagine them putting out a game of Mass Effect 2's caliber ever again.

Dazraell

Who dresses up like this in the military?
N7_Sweatshirt.png

poodaddy

I have zero faith. I literally just do not believe they know how to replicate what they put together with the first two games. They no longer have that talent at Bioware, and something tells me this will just be another annoying box checker meant to appeal to demographics rather than individuals, just like pretty much every other AAA game these days other than Nintendo.

I hope I'm wrong. I'm probably not.

Kindela

Banned
I'm replaying the trilogy (LE) after 10 years, and it's hard to believe that something of such high quality existed almost15 years ago, and was developed in 8 years. Each entry is distinct, yet connected, each doing something better than the other two. Having your decisions (however small they are) carry over through the sequels is something that no other AAA game has done that well, and it's been more than a decade since. These small touches can make the experience that much more personal.

That being said, I'm thirsty for a new ME, but I know they can't release anything nearly as good.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Yes, keep posting random examples of outfits that don't even compare in terms of intended use or even practicality, and don't even say a word as if this is supposed to be some kind of a smoking gun argument.

You're showing off a casual non-combat outfit. Clearly not the same as the high-tech gear that's visible under the coat in the teaser.

THIS is a combat gear that we were accustomed to in all of the previous games of this military sci-fi series, and this is what we should be comparing that stupid N7 outfit from the teaser to:
4979e1ec6b5a30b001212ace1ee1116b.jpg

Next up: someone responds to my comment with a picture of a Volus.

Last edited:

Dazraell

Yes, keep posting random examples of outfits that don't even compare in terms of intended use or even practicality, and don't even say a word as if this is supposed to be some kind of a smoking gun argument.

You're showing off a casual non-combat outfit. Clearly not the same as the high-tech gear that's visible under the coat in the teaser.

THIS is a combat gear that we were accustomed to in all of the previous games of this military sci-fi series, and this is what we should be comparing that stupid N7 outfit from the teaser to:

Next up: someone responds to my comment with a picture of a Volus.

It wasn't a smoking gun argument, just showing that these type of more casual outfits were also used on past games

Personally speaking, this coat gives more of "Cold War" type of vibes. Maybe that's just the angle they're looking for?

Drizzlehell

Banned
It wasn't a smoking gun argument, just showing that these type of more casual outfits were also used on past games

Personally speaking, this coat gives more of "Cold War" type of vibes. Maybe that's just the angle they're looking for?
Yeah, but this doesn't look like a casual outfit is my point.

Maybe this could get a pass if we are to assume that the character shown in the teaser is supposed to be some kind of high-tech spy or a stealth infiltrator unit, kinda like Denton or Jensen from Deus Ex games. But still, in terms of practicality as a combat-ready gear, this is way too over the top in my opinion. Even Spectres in previous games usually wore more practical combat armor.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Remember when everyone said ME: Andromeda turned out how it did because the BioWare “A Team” were all busy working on Anthem? And then Anthem was so bad it made Andromeda look like a masterpiece in comparison. And then the “Anthem 2.0” reboot got canceled after so many high-level departures.

It would be an absolute miracle if this game (or Dragon Age 4) were decent.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Remember when everyone said ME: Andromeda turned out how it did because the BioWare “A Team” were all busy working on Anthem? And then Anthem was so bad it made Andromeda look like a masterpiece in comparison. And then the “Anthem 2.0” reboot got canceled after so many high-level departures.

It would be an absolute miracle if this game (or Dragon Age 4) were decent.
I'll play it on GP after a year and let you all know.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

I see what you’re sayin but disagree. Liara wears a coat, Thane wears a coat, Ashley wears thigh highs, Jack wears…nothing. The outfit in the teaser would fit in the original trilogy just fine lol. They stopped wearing practical outfits after the first game; ME2 onwards is more stylized and less practical. Miranda’s space suit is just her skintight catsuit with a transparent covid mask lol

Anyways I dont have much hope for this game and doubt it will even be completed unless Dragon Age 4 is a success.

Stafford

I can't get hyped for any of this at all. It likely is still years away and God knows what the fuck is going on with Dragon Age.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I see what you’re sayin but disagree. Liara wears a coat, Thane wears a coat, Ashley wears thigh highs, Jack wears…nothing. The outfit in the teaser would fit in the original trilogy just fine lol. They stopped wearing practical outfits after the first game; ME2 onwards is more stylized and less practical. Miranda’s space suit is just her skintight catsuit with a transparent covid mask lol

Anyways I dont have much hope for this game and doubt it will even be completed unless Dragon Age 4 is a success.
Okay, that's fair. I guess not everyone always wore a very practical outfit in this series, lol.

Although if I can still be nitpicky for a moment, at least all of those other characters weren't part of the Alliance military, so I'd say that we can give them a pass because of different backgrounds and different cultures, etc. But unless I'm forgetting any specific characters, all of the humans that were part of the Systems Alliance generally adhered to the more grounded, militaristic dress code and combat gear.

KiteGr

I have no more faith in this series.
Andromeda failed not because of it took place in another galaxy, not because it released broken and unfinished, not because it didn't had Shepherd. It failed because it lacked the vision to offer an experience you would want.

For example:
Every race in the original ME trilogy served the purpose of making you live your fantasy as a startreck commander.
  • You had the sexy female alliens that captain Kerk would bone.
  • The warhungry brutes/badasses.
  • The nomads, inspired from desert people.
  • The ones who have a bone with the humans, who also double serve as the insect ones.
  • The robots who want to assimilate.
  • The nerds.
  • The central villains.
Ect...
Now think what races they added on Andromeda and why should you ever be compelled to have them anywhere near you. They feel they where designed as alliens for allien's sake.

That's the difference between the old and new Bioware...

Last edited:

Dr_Ifto

Mass Effect is my jam, and it can be mediocre, I will complain, but I will play the hell out of it. All Andromeda needed was a sequel with a better story. The gameplay was legit.

Dr_Ifto

I have no more faith in this series.
Andromeda failed not because of it took place in another galaxy, not because it released broken and unfinished, not because it didn't had Shepherd. It failed because it lacked the vision to offer an experience you would want.

For example:
Every race in the original ME trilogy served the purpose of making you live your fantasy as a startreck commander.
  • You had the sexy female alliens that captain Kerk would bone.
  • The warhungry brutes/badasses.
  • The nomads, inspired from desert people.
  • The ones who have a bone with the humans, who also double serve as the insect ones.
  • The robots who want to assimilate.
  • The nerds.
  • The central villains.
Ect...
Now think what races they added on Andromeda and why should you ever be compelled to have them anywhere near you. They feel they where designed as alliens for allien's sake.

That's the difference between the old and new Bioware...
Maybe if Andromeda was the second game, but the reason the game was terrible was the terrible story. They could have made it work, but the story just was that bad. None of those things listed above are things I looked for in Mass Effect. The relationship with the crew was was did it for me.

skit_data

Cautiously optimistic, I played the Mass Effect trilogy for the first time last year and came away impressed yet sad that it's obvious BioWare aren't what they used to be

xrnzaaas

There is absolutely nothing interesting or worth talking about based on this teaser. The game is many years away and it can still have drastic changes to its concept (just look at the mess with the new Dragon Age). And of course there's also the case that modern day Bioware doesn't have many talented people anymore to deliver a high quality game.

KiteGr

Maybe if Andromeda was the second game, but the reason the game was terrible was the terrible story. They could have made it work, but the story just was that bad. None of those things listed above are things I looked for in Mass Effect. The relationship with the crew was was did it for me.
The things I listed are an example of them constructing a story one would want to be part off. It shows that the original writers knew what they where doing, and most stuff, including the designs of each race, where not random.

Thane's an assassin, it's part of his profession to be able to blend in as a civilian. Plus his costume is still far more practical and low-key than the Versace long coat over there.
To expand my point was that it’s not impossible for a character to go out in a longcoat and go on missions. Also, with that outfit Thane is blending in with just about no one. He was an assassin not because of his outfit, but because of his skills. He arguably has two of the most fashionable outfits(in mission and out of mission) in all of ME.

We don’t know who’s in that N7 gear. We don’t know what rank they are. We don’t know what they’re hiding under the coat. We don’t know anything about them except the helmet, back, and coat. Way too many posters are diving off of an assumption cliff to dunk on a company that’s already in the gutter of quality.

Kurotri

I can't even pull the "w-well Andromeda was made by an unexperienced b-team!" card because of Anthem. Zero trust in Bioware. But I wish so bad that it wasn't like this. I like the design.

Drizzlehell

Banned
To expand my point was that it’s not impossible for a character to go out in a longcoat and go on missions. Also, with that outfit Thane is blending in with just about no one. He was an assassin not because of his outfit, but because of his skills. He arguably has two of the most fashionable outfits(in mission and out of mission) in all of ME.

We don’t know who’s in that N7 gear. We don’t know what rank they are. We don’t know what they’re hiding under the coat. We don’t know anything about them except the helmet, back, and coat. Way too many posters are diving off of an assumption cliff to dunk on a company that’s already in the gutter of quality.
As I said, it was a knee-jerk reaction. I know that we know nothing at this point, but what I do know is that this character design looks tacky as hell and makes me think about how Bioware has been doing this style over substance thing for over a decade, and if this hasn't changed then what else stayed the same?

Just a general impression that I get from this, we can speculate further but at the end of the day it's not that important until we know more.

Coats make no sense in outer space. 0/10.

Shepard. I want Shepard. Don't want anything else. No Shepard no care.

Get ready to play as Shepard's daughter.

Happy John Candy GIF by Laff

Knee-jerk reaction to this: no.

This is stupid. Who dresses up like this in the military? And as an N7? Looks more like something that you'd see on a runway of a fashion show.

I wish they would let go of the N7 thing. That's specifically Earth military. This whole galaxy to explore and this person (Liara?) is wearing Earth Military Fashion Week clothes.

The design looks nothing like Mass Effect

Too "stylish"

I have zero hopes that Bioware will make a good game. The Bioware from the originals is long gone.

OK this looks like a chick. Good. Now make her lame and gay and we have something to work with.

Hasn't Mass Effect had the ability to completely customize your character's gender, clothing, and even sexual preference? How, from a 30 second teaser did any of you gather that we won't have choices?

As I said, it was a knee-jerk reaction. I know that we know nothing at this point, but what I do know is that this character design looks tacky as hell and makes me think about how Bioware has been doing this style over substance thing for over a decade, and if this hasn't changed then what else stayed the same?
I mean…of course lol, BioWare hasn’t release anything since Anthem and before Anthem they only released 2 games. The fact that you had to say decade instead of 5 years is why it’s too early to make calls at this point. We don’t have much to go on because they won’t even show the new Dragon Age. This might be a completely new team since the last decade. We simply don’t know yet.
Just a general impression that I get from this, we can speculate further but at the end of the day it's not that important until we know more.
Honestly I was looking at the poster and my prediction is that this is a time travel story. The person in the poster with trenchcoat almost making an hourglass shape. They’re hiding their face because they can’t reveal who they are in the past. The ME-2 club picture is there in pristine condition almost as if it was captured perfectly in the past.

My guess is that there will be gameplay segments in the future slowly building up to what went wrong post-reapers/red ending along with how you managed to discover time travel and discover another way to kill reapers, and past gameplay segments where you will be changing past events to try and fix the future with possibly some device that will kill the reapers outright without needing a war started where billions die including close crew mates. Which means that the person traveling back to the past will be traveling to a post ME-1/pre ME-2 time period.

Hugare

Hasn't Mass Effect had the ability to completely customize your character's gender, clothing, and even sexual preference? How, from a 30 second teaser did any of you gather that we won't have choices?
No, not clothing

Compare this poster to any other art from past ME games and maybe you'll see the problem

yw1t7lF.jpg

Still dont see it? Too much focus on looking good on the new one

Cringe af

Last edited:

stn

It looks good so far, I am hyped. I want something that has a more "urban" story, which I am hoping is the case since Omega appears to be in the image background. We've saved the galaxy for four games, let us do something on a smaller scale this time. Also, we NEED to be able to play as the non-human races finally.

No, not clothing

Compare this poster to any other art from past ME games and maybe you'll see the problem

yw1t7lF.jpg

Still dont see it? Too much focus on looking good on the new one

Cringe af
The teaser looked like an armor set to me. But you’re right, it would be a damn shame if you could have even more customization. It would totally suck. /s

It blows my mind to see what half you chuckleheads find to complain about.

Lastly, it’s the first marketing material for the game, not the cover to it

Last edited:

Nydius

I'm probably one of the biggest Mass Effect nerds around these parts and I've pretty much lost all faith that BioWare will deliver anything worthwhile. They seem content to keep doing these shitty little teasers and milking the hell out of the franchise with merchandising for their gear shop than actually making a new game. This poster is a prime example: They listed a $45 lithograph of it at the exact same moment they dropped the new teaser.

If they put half the effort into making the next game as they do in plugging their merch shop, we'd almost have a complete game.

Last edited:

WoJ

I'm a huge Mass Effect fan. I basically just constantly replay the trilogy even if it's something I pick up for a few hours a month. I have zero faith in this. That video was cringe.

Jinzo Prime

Rnf5q6L.jpg

As part of their N7 Day celebrations, Bioware has released a new teaser trailer for their next Mass Effect game. Unfortunately, the trailer does not show us much. All it shows us is a female character in N7 clothing walking and drawing her weapon. The trailer drops no new information for the game, and it doesn’t tell us when to expect more information about Bioware’s next Mass Effect game.

EA and Bioware officially confirmed that they were working on a new Mass Effect game in late 2020. This teaser showcased a ship travelling to an unknown ice planet and an Asari picking up some N7 armour. This trailer also showcased very little about the game.

Based on the website, it seems like it will be a direct continuation of ME3:
"So what about galaxies? And the different endings!? What about our Asari scientist who replaced the Shadow Broker? And what happened to S... anyway, you get the idea.
Of course, we have the answers to all these questions, but you're going to have to wait to find out. And in the purest tradition of our #N7Day teasers, they won't be easy to find."

Full teaser:

Wild theory time!

Based on the poster and Bioware's statement, in the next Mass Effect game, your main character will be a detective trying to piece together what happened at the end of ME3. Shepard is alive and there is a new threat after him or her. You will be working for Liara/Shadow Broker, which is how your ship and crew are financed.

Omega is an early game destination and Aria is one of your first party members. The helmet is on because you can be human or a different race and are fully customizable. Being a detective would also explain the 'space duster' the character is wearing.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Wild theory time!

Based on the poster and Bioware's statement, in the next Mass Effect game, your main character will be a detective trying to piece together what happened at the end of ME3. Shepard is alive and there is a new threat after him or her. You will be working for Liara/Shadow Broker, which is how your ship and crew are financed.

Omega is an early game destination and Aria is one of your first party members. The helmet is on because you can be human or a different race and are fully customizable. Being a detective would also explain the 'space duster' the character is wearing.
Eh I like that. Honestly they could come up with whatever reason, as long a the writing is good I'm on board.
The problem is that I have absolutely no faith in today's Bioware to deliver. But I hope to be proven wrong.

StueyDuck

I mean it's literally nothing to go on, so I'm not gonna react until we see the final thing.

It does scream "modern audiences" however from that pic.

So we'll see I suppose

Top Bottom