• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Master of None Season 2 |OT| Aziz Ansari's Show Finally Returns (May 12th - Netflix)

daffy

Banned
Ending

didnt realize that Fran was wearing different clothes and had no ring. Glad to see that she goes to Dev. Makes the ending and the wait for season 3 a little less sad
i dunno. It kind of felt like the ending to The Graduate. Like Arnold said, it certainly isn't going to be easy for them and every move is magnified considering she made this big decision with him as a major factor.

bud

the first season was okay, but this second one is just fantastic. the only episodes i didn't really care for were 6 and especially 7.

francesca is supercute.

Just watched the new york episode. This is the kind of show I could never get tired of. I love the direction of each episode. The cinematography is just so pleasant to watch

Ashby

I definitely thought
Francesa was going to ultimately end up just being a detour and that he was going to get back together with Rachael. Maybe that'll be season 3.

phanphare

Banned
man this season is really staying with me

not even gonna lie, I took awhile to fall asleep last night because this season unearthed some emotions that I had long since gotten over. I was in a situation similar to Dev's except the person I was spending time with was married but separated.

probably going to rewatch it all again and then go back to season 1

Ashhong

i dunno. It kind of felt like the ending to The Graduate. Like Arnold said, it certainly isn't going to be easy for them and every move is magnified considering she made this big decision with him as a major factor.

I can see the comparison, but this was left way more ambiguous and open to interpretation, probably on purpose. So I choose to believe they are happy! She's staring at him in bed instead of graduate where they are mainly looking away

Theorry

Great second season so far. The show is something special. I mean the acting is pretty crap sometimes but its the charm of the show for some reason.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
That one line of dialogue from the helicopter pilot in ep 9 😂😂😂😂
Dude, while I was watching that I was like, "They know he can hear them in the headset, right?" So I was totally waiting for him to jump in and say something, so glad he did, haha.

tauroxd

I definitely thought WHOLE SEASON SPOILER
Francesa was going to ultimately end up just being a detour and that he was going to get back together with Rachael. Maybe that'll be season 3.
I probably tought that was going to be the route the season was taking but it was really more that I wanted that to be the case. WHOLE SEASON SPOILERS
Francesca is a superb woman, but she has her life and Dev trying to fit into it or into his life sounds like just thinking about him and not her also. And I LOVED Rachel so I really want them together.

So, people who finished, what are your thoughts compared to S1?
I personally thought this was the superior season. For some reason it really hit me in the feels and was even more relatable than the first (which was already the main reason I greatly enjoyed it)

I really thought the season would end with him going to Japan because that's where he was at for a while writing a film.

I'm happy that he and Yang are able to mete out such quality TV work with 2 years between seasons. At this rate, Louis CK has some real competition if he wants to bring Louie back, considering the influx of great comedian-driven dramedies; Lady Dynamite, One Mississippi, Master of None, Bojack Horseman, and more.

Again, that Francesca lady, is going to be trouble, I mean no offense to Aziz but she's going to get swathed on by a New York city slicker.

I would of appreciated an episode where they did Aziz' take on fights. Like I'd like to see how he deals with high conflict situations like a Trump supporter gone wild, or that kinda thing. Maybe contrast that to how his other pals deal with conflict in their own mini story too.

Ashhong

Again, that Francesca lady, is going to be trouble, I mean no offense to Aziz but she's going to get swathed on by a New York city slicker.

I would of appreciated an episode where they did Aziz' take on fights. Like I'd like to see how he deals with high conflict situations like a Trump supporter gone wild, or that kinda thing. Maybe contrast that to how his other pals deal with conflict in their own mini story too.

He specifically said he did not want to make this show be since kind of f u to trump. I think

emrober5

Damn, that was a great season. I liked season one but this was on another level. Episode 5, 8, 9 and 10 particularly. I did not enjoy episode 6 at all but I see why some would. It was well done it's just not what I wanted from this show.

I hope we get a season three, and soon.

JTripper

Damn, that was a great season. I liked season one but this was on another level. Episode 5, 8, 9 and 10 particularly. I did not enjoy episode 6 at all but I see why some would. It was well done it's just not what I wanted from this show.

I hope we get a season three, and soon.

I feel the same about episode 6. I love the idea but the episode itself did nothing for me. 5 is probably my favorite so far but I'm halfway through Thanksgiving now and it could possibly be the best one thus far.

phanphare

Banned
the clash of the cupcake thing at the beginning of episode 5 might be the best visual joke of the series, showing the audience's exaggerated reactions watching the show and all the cuts and weird moving camera angles. perfect satire of those types of shows.

Brinbe

Just finished my binge watch. Holy crap! What a season! Absolutely amazing stuff.

Highlights were the Death castle and Thanksgiving episodes and the end. Jesus christ, I can't wait for season three!

That shit hit me hard because I've been in that exact situation with exact same results.

Absolute highpoint was def the ramen blogger with the Wrasslin knowledge

Tall4Life

Was bored last night so I started a binge of the whole series, seasons 1 and 2. Haven't seen it before. I'm totally in love, and holy shit season 2 was incredible. Tons of memorable episodes and moments, especially the more artsy episodes like 6. My favorite was probably episode 9, and about that...

Jesus christ, that episode was emotionally painful. Like extremely painful.
But I loved it because of that. Everything that happened just hurt so much and it was done so so well. I'm sort of in that position right now, she's not engaged or married or anything, but I could definitely connect a little with Dev here. That's kind of the magic of this show--there's little moments for basically everyone. Like some here were talking before about the pork episode and how they connect with that, others were talking about the thanksgiving episode and how they connect with that. The show is really special in that way, it's pretty relatable with everyone in some way or another.

I came into the show expecting a comedy but it's really more of a relatable slice of life piece.

Quick

Banned
Episode 2's music is so fucking good. Immediately went to Spotify after finishing that episode haha.

lol same. I used SoundHound to ID the music.

If I ever go to Italy/Europe and I'm piecing together a montage, I know what music to use.

Belfast

Great second season so far. The show is something special. I mean the acting is pretty crap sometimes but its the charm of the show for some reason.

I don't think the acting is really all that important. While there is a story to tell, each episode is basically a series of ruminations around a theme, so sometimes it shifts from straight up narrative to some sort of psuedo-philosophical examination and then back to narrative. This can be jarring for some people, I know, but it also makes Master of None sort of unique in its structure and the way it deals with classic problems in a modern world.

A lot of the time, Dev (or other characters) is saying things that many of us have felt or thought but either couldn't figure out how to put in words or didn't feel comfortable saying out loud, which is why I think the show is so easy to connect with people of a certain age/generation. Even if that means that the show has to wear its heart on its sleeve sometimes.

Having found someone I expect to be with for the rest of my life already, I no longer have to deal with being in the dating pool, but certain scenes and moments do hit pretty hard nonetheless, reminding me of the things I went through when I was. And even with an SO, much of the latter half of the first season deals well with the fears you have of losing them or pushing them away (or, alternatively, actually making the commitment to a long-term relationship).

Just finished my binge watch... So damn good. The music. The many relatable episodes. Everything. So. Damn. Good. There were so many moments that nearly killed my sides like "coming up hear looking like Dead Presidents" lol

LionPride

Banned
That Thanksgiving episode is just really good. Angela Bassett and Kim Whitley put out great performances. Dev bein an agitator was great too. Aziz Ansari is developing well as a talanted actor.

PixelatedBookake

On episode 10 and I'm enjoying this season more than the last by a good bit. Thanksgiving episode stands out as one of the best. Only downside to the show is Arnold. I can't STAND his character. So fucking annoying.

whatiswrongwithyou

I will agree that Arnold is easily the worst character. I'm fine with him in short spurts though.

God I don't know what it is about the cinematography in this show that is so pleasant on the eyes but it makes watching any other comedy/drama with the typical mediocre at best cinematography hard to watch.

That combined with the excellent music choices really elevate this show to something special. I liked Aziz as a goofy side character but it's nice to see he has elevated his skills a decent bit.

Top Bottom