• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mat Piscatella (NPD) - In the US in 2023, physical spending on software for Nintendo platforms accounted > 50%, xbox < 10% and PS ~ 40%

Screenshot_20240126_202529_Samsung_Internet.jpg

Last edited:

splattered

I haven't bought a physical Xbox game is many years. Well before game pass was introduced. I don't think GP killed it... People just finally getting used to the idea of digital media on a larger scale thanks to movie and music streaming apps. I have a big wall of physical Blu-ray movies and never touch them anymore, to be honest I wish I never bought any of them I can just stream them all now. Same with games really. After a while you realize it is all just taking up a lot of unnecessary space.

After the next switch.... Physical is dead dead.

Not when they still sell so much units of physical games.

PS Direct (their store) is always pushing for special editions and physical games in there. Sony is still interested in this and so is Nintendo because their consoles sell in a lot of countries with poor internet and people buy a lot of physical games in there. MS only really cares about the USA and UK...so they can get away with this.

angrod14

I haven't bought a physical Xbox game is many years. Well before game pass was introduced. I don't think GP killed it... People just finally getting used to the idea of digital media on a larger scale thanks to movie and music streaming apps. I have a big wall of physical Blu-ray movies and never touch them anymore, to be honest I wish I never bought any of them I can just stream them all now. Same with games really. After a while you realize it is all just taking up a lot of unnecessary space.
I agree. While I don't have a entire wall of BDs, I ended up filling a cabinet with them. It's a weight I don't want over me anymore. The saddest part is that they're worth next to nothing now.

I know some die hard collectionists that confessed even though their house looks like a Blockbuster, they still end up renting the movie they want to watch on streaming because they don't want to be dealing with discs.

Physical games are cool and everything, but once you start acumulating more than 50 or so it really starts to stop being fun and feel like a waste of space.

Last edited:

angrod14

I've said it and will say it again. UHD-BD is the last physical format, and it has already peaked. Once 200 gb+ games are the standard, people won't be bothering with 2+ discs. Cyberpunk already ships in 3 discs on Xbox.

It's the exact same scenario that happened on PC with the DVD. Sony will have no need to artificially cut physical releases, it will all come organicaly from the consumer habits.

Three

Physical is pretty much alive in the other two competitors I see.
While I agree with you that's not necessarily apparent from this data. We don't have the physical total amount. What we can say though is that Sony physical sales aren't that behind Nintendo physical sales so the people trying really hard to say "Sonytoo but Nintendo won't" are dead wrong. Both Nintendo and Sony have similar physical sales whatever that may be.

Fake

That Xbox has destroyed the physical format and soft sales on its platforms (you just have to look at the ratios in the multis...) does not mean that the physical format is dead as it tries to sell in an attempt at damage control, in Nintendo and PS it still has a lot of presence.

Can't understand why people here are pushing this ideia. Xbox is pretty much dead at this point in this regards, but just him.

While I agree with you that's not necessarily apparent from this data. We don't have the physical total amount.

Well, we do. At least in the recent leaks from Insominiac.

Gambit2483

That Xbox has destroyed the physical format and soft sales on its platforms (you just have to look at the ratios in the multis...) does not mean that the physical format is dead as it tries to sell in an attempt at damage control, in Nintendo and PS it still has a lot of presence.
Exactly. I don't understand why some try to equate MS' (seemingly) deliberate annexation of physical on  their platform to be "proof" that physical in general is dying out. Physical has a very strong presence in many overseas markets as well

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
After the next switch.... Physical is dead dead.
I could see next gen sony still pushing the physical media mantra as they did with the ps4 how "sony supports used games, sonny supports no daily check ins, sony supports you owning your copy"

They could legit do the SAME speech to glorious applause again because they will be the alternative to what MS is doing and though people are purchasing more digital media, the option for physical is there

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Exactly. I don't understand why some try to equate MS' (seemingly) deliberate annexation of physical on  their platform to be "proof" that physical in general is dying out. Physical has a very strong presence in many overseas markets as well
It's a pretty easy thing to understand though. I'm afraid to explain it though since it triggers people so hard. It's really just looking at the broader trends across every entertainment medium, and the incentives for the platform holders and their income, and then making a guess. You could also throw in some historical precedent of platform holders following one after the other (paid online, gaming subs, price increase to $70).

Darsxx82

It would have been more interesting to know the balance between digital vs physical of all platforms. Furthermore, these percentages only include games in physical format for sale when there are increasingly more games that are sold only in digital format.

It is clear that the income from digital games is higher than that of physical games. It means that that 10% on XBOX can be 5% of the total gaming revenue for MS.
And that the ~40% on PS can be 20-30% or even less of the total games revenue for Sony.
Switch is different in that the vast majority is physical game sales.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
He is saying his repeated use of the word physical looks weird but he's still scared somebody might think MS are doing this badly in game sales too.

So ms aren't doing bad in game sales? And he's just not outright saying it?

What a strange man

onQ123

Or you know you could just say the percentages mat? Probably would have required less effort and less text sheesh :rolleyes:

But it's as simple as changing the 50% that PS & XB made up & turning it to 100% which our brains automatically tell us to multiply by 2 so 40% becomes 80% & 10% becomes 20%

That's ignoring the " Less than 10%" part though

Darsxx82

So you're telling me physical sales splits are for physical software

patrick-stewart-mild-shock.gif

I am clear that you know perfectly well what I was referring to, but it is clear that you did not want to leave the opportunity to be picky and very joking when you stop quoting the rest... 😉

Well, for the rest of you..... I meant that would be interesting to know how much income each company obtains from the sale of digital games (including digital-only games) vs. how much they earn from physical games.

It may not seem interesting to some, but for MS, Sony and Nintendo (in less quantity of course) what the digital games market as a whole generates in income vs what the physical format generates. It is an interesting index to know. Especially if you have to make strategy decisions based on that index.

All the best

Last edited:

NickFire

10% (of all physical gaming media) isn't that bad when you consider market share (overall) and the S/X split. Why drop all physical with 10% of all sales still going their way? Makes no sense to me.

Ar¢tos

I've said it and will say it again. UHD-BD is the last physical format, and it has already peaked. Once 200 gb+ games are the standard, people won't be bothering with 2+ discs. Cyberpunk already ships in 3 discs on Xbox.

It's the exact same scenario that happened on PC with the DVD. Sony will have no need to artificially cut physical releases, it will all come organicaly from the consumer habits.
It's not hard for Sony to move to 5 layers discs, since they make the drives and discs.
We are at 3 layers now (3 x 33gb), 4 layers won't make much difference (4 x 33gb), but 5 layers will double the current amount (5 x 40gb = 200gb), there are even 6 layer discs (6 x 50gb = 300gb).

angrod14

It's not hard for Sony to move to 5 layers discs, since they make the drives and discs.
We are at 3 layers now (3 x 33gb), 4 layers won't make much difference (4 x 33gb), but 5 layers will double the current amount (5 x 40gb = 200gb), there are even 6 layer discs (6 x 50gb = 300gb).
Triple layer (100 GB) is the max the format is being produced, to my understanding. I haven't read anywhere the discs are able to hold more than three layers.

Ar¢tos

Triple layer (100 GB) is the max the format is being produced, to my understanding. I haven't read anywhere the discs are able to hold more than three layers.
4 layers exist, even at consumer level.
(https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Printable-Blu-ray-Recordable-archival/dp/B0CDKJDLFF)

5 and 6 layers never really took off, because of the Archival Disc being more suitable (300gb, 500gb, 1tb), but the Archival Disc is way too expensive for gaming.
I honestly don't see games going over 200gb, so 2 discs is the cheaper way of doing it.

Weird, Mat has deleted both tweets. I only managed to screenshot the first tweet. so I'll put that in the OP.

From Installbase:
This was the last time we got physical numbers for USA:

2020 USA SOFTWARE

Switch - 39.080.000 (42%)
PS4 - 32.260.000 (35%)
XB1 - 15.200.000 (17%)
PS5 - 2.080.000 (2%)
3DS - 1.290.000 (1%)
PC - 550.000 (1%)
Series - 390.000 (1%)
Others - 1.620.000 (1%)

TOTAL - 92.470.000 (100%)

These numbers are from CESA who use NPD data.

Last edited:

devilNprada

Ok someone please check my math for me.
Using this 10,40,50 %.. I quickly googled % of physical to digital for each respective platform. Just using what I found.
Xbox 72% Digital 28% Physical
PS 67% Digital 33% Physical
Nintendo no data but digital recently (2020 which was a covid year) passed physical so I used:
Nintendo 55% Digital 45% Physical assumption
Digital Sales % Total Sales%
Xbox 72/(1-10%) = +80 / 301.67 = 26.5% +10% = +36.52% /200 = 18.3%
PS 67/(1-40%) = +111.67 / 301.67 = 37.0% +40%= +77.02% /200 = 38.5%
Nintendo 55(1-45%)= +110 / 301.67 = 36.5% +50% = +86.46% = 43.2%
=301.67 =200
Feel free to point out any flaws in my reasoning....
Edit: when I save numbers don't align properly sorry

Last edited:
Top Bottom