• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mat Piscatella: PC has been a huge part of the success of Helldivers II in the US.

Zathalus

Because Sony doesn't do that. PC is an afterthought, so it doesn't matter if sales are low.
They make a profit, tiny as it may be. Which is enough.
The argument is was that it wouldn't work for Single Player games.

It obviously would, same day single player releases would have far larger numbers on PC, the question is what would be the impact on the console revenue. I'm sure Sony's goal is to maximize both revenue streams as much as possible.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Doesn’t work for single player games

HFW bombed on PC

Only makes sense for GaaS titles

Launch game 2 years after the honeymoon period when public opinion has already soured on it, anemic sales but probably still decent ROI.

Launch game day and date, it sells significantly more on Steam and is popular in regions where nobody plays on console.

What lesson do you think they’ll take from this? Sony is beholden to shareholders not fanboy feelings.

Helldivers is officially the biggest PlayStation IP.

Spiderman, God of War, The Last of Us...step aside.

It's official.
let me guess, you dis?:
dojzpPH.gif

Killjoy-NL

It obviously would, same day single player releases would have far larger numbers on PC, the question is what would be the impact on the console revenue. I'm sure Sony's goal is to maximize both revenue streams as much as possible.
Sony won't do it though.
For the mere fact that it's killing Xbox.

They've repeatedly stated it and people using low sales for singleplayer later PC releases (and potentially more sales day 1) as an argument are completely ignoring the fact that PC is an afterthought that's being used to squeeze a tiny bit more revenue out of the PC demographic when revenue on consoles has pretty much dried up.

Edit:

GaaS is a different matter.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

We don't want to compare the single player port sales to the PlayStation versions.

It won't work and will kill the brand(and quality of the games)in a similar fashion to xbox.

Gaas is a different story hence HD2 and Destiny 2's success.

Three

No shit It sold more on PC?? Maybe It's because they are more PCs in the world than PS5's??
That's actually not a given since this is US figures only where console does well. Once again though Matt's trying hard to push the PC angle with this release and not giving figures/splits. Even if we assume sales were 50/50 halving a game's sales can take it from 7th to 20th> in a chart easily. This stat doesn't even mean it sold more on PC.

Last edited:

willothedog

Doesn’t work for single player games

HFW bombed on PC

Only makes sense for GaaS titles

There is near zero marketing for the PC ports. When PS Horizon was released remember seeing ads on the sides of buses/shelters and TV spots, the PC version? Even if the gap is a few months later it could still ride off the marketing campaign.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I mean HFW bombed because it's an older game, an iterative sequel, and it released next to Dragon's Dogma 2 that was more anticipated. They just sucked at picking release dates with that title, because the console version released next to Elden Ring.
It bombed because its not very good.

feynoob

Pc opening a market for Sony.

Gaffers: let go a head and act like children
You Are Dumb Patrick Star GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Never change gaff, never change.

What lesson do you think they’ll take from this? Sony is beholden to shareholders not fanboy feelings.
thats the point. I hear Xbox going day one with on PC accounted for the lost of 1/3 of consoles sales

Now. you could argue that PS is in a better position to succeed because they are not neglecting the console market. Im just saying.

nial

Gold Member
They didn't establish their GAAS day 1 on PC strategy years ago without expecting any of those blowing up on the platform.
This is hardly a big revelation for Sony.

I think that's nonsense. Xbox lost 1/3 of their console sales because Xbox One was overpriced shit with one of the worst marketing pitches ever conceived for a console. Microsoft ported their games to PC after Xbox sales tanked.
thats what I heard. But again, with Xbox, there is a lot of factors going on. I think it was not ONLY putting their games on PC day one. But also the lack of a game altogether.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
thats the point. I hear Xbox going day one with on PC accounted for the lost of 1/3 of consoles sales

Now. you could argue that PS is in a better position to succeed because they are not neglecting the console market. Im just saying.

I would argue that what killed Xbox was years and years of boring software output, seemingly no marketing, and their whole console business revolving around a sub service that trained people to not buy games. If PC ports killed Xbox then where are their huge hits on PC that people left Xbox for? Their most popular games on PC are sea of thieves and AoE (a pc franchise).

demigod

Day and date on SP will never happen this or next gen. Piracy is still a thing.

Launch game 2 years after the honeymoon period when public opinion has already soured on it, anemic sales but probably still decent ROI.

Launch game day and date, it sells significantly more on Steam and is popular in regions where nobody plays on console.

Good thing you’re not a shareholder or you’d kill the brand like ms did with xbox.

feynoob

Day and date on SP will never happen this or next gen. Piracy is still a thing.
I think it's better for you if you stop having faith in those guys.

Day1 is close and eminent. They are just waiting the right time to do it.

The age of console exclusive is dead. It's business people now and those guys want their stock up.

GHG GHG isn't that right?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Sony won't do it though.
People need to stop with this. What killed Xbox is a stream of mediocre games for over a decade. What, you think people would have flocked to buy Xboxes to play trash like Crackdown 3 if it wasn't on PC lol?

nosoynadie22

Gold Member
I think Sony will wait 2 or 3 more years to start releasing their day 1 games on PC, they just have to make sure that Microsoft's next console is another failure

Topher

Gold Member
thats what I heard. But again, with Xbox, there is a lot of factors going on. I think it was not ONLY putting their games on PC day one. But also the lack of a game altogether.

Sure.....first party output was shit for Xbox as well. That's a nother big reason. Day one on PC? Nah....the PC ports of Xbox games did not start until three years after the console launched. Here's the article announcing Recore as the first game, dated September 2016.

So I get what you "heard" but it just doesn't make any sense.

The age of console exclusive is dead. It's business people now and those guys want their stock up.

Hey man! Good to see you posting again!

Last edited:
Sure.....first party output was shit for Xbox as well. That's a nother big reason. Day one on PC? Nah....the PC ports of Xbox games did not start until three years after the console launched. Here's the article announcing Recore as the first game, dated September 2016.

as i said in another thread. It's just a compounded effect of bad decisions, mistakes, and incompetence. Everything adds up at the end.

Fabieter

They lost like 30b in value since they ported more and more of their games to pc. Those business people are on a run. And sony almost doesn't pay any dividends.

Gaiff

They lost like 30b in value since they ported more and more of their games to pc. Those business people are on a run. And sony almost doesn't pay any dividends.
Gonna need a source for that, but funnily enough, Xbox hasn't had a steady supply of good games since around 2011. That might have a lot more to do with the financial woes than PC ports, don't you think?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sony won't do it though.

They've repeatedly stated it and people using low sales for singleplayer later PC releases (and potentially more sales day 1) as an argument are completely ignoring the fact that PC is an afterthought that's being used to squeeze a tiny bit more revenue out of the PC demographic when revenue on consoles has pretty much dried up.

Edit:

GaaS is a different matter.

You mean you hope they won't, but in reality everyone knows where this is going in the future.

Three

Hey man! Good to see you posting again!
It was Quantum break in April 2016. I remember that's when I got rid of XB1

People need to stop with this. What killed Xbox is a stream of mediocre games for over a decade. What, you think people would have flocked to buy Xboxes to play trash like Crackdown 3 if it wasn't on PC lol?

Having exclusive products reinforces brand's value. Brand recognition is far more important than short-term sales. Besides, there's another problem: you can't sell games on console at 70-80 usd/eur and 50-60 on PC, besides PC free online versus console paid online. Too many disadvantages for console owners.

PC ports should only be approved on individual basis.

feynoob

PC didnt kill xbox. Xbox killed itself. Stop deluding yourself man.

Only reason xbox is up is because of PC sales helping their brand.

Xbox lost badly because of the shitshow MS and Their upper management.

There shouldnt any reason for aaron to work there.

feynoob

Having exclusive products reinforces brand's value. Brand recognition is far more important than short-term sales. Besides, there's another problem: you can't sell games on console at 70-80 usd/eur and 50-60 on PC, besides PC free online versus console paid online. Too many disadvantages for console owners.

PC ports should only be approved on individual basis.
There is a market for both/ Consoles is for kids and 18+ years old.
PC on other hand requires significant investment.

Consoles would always have the upper hand.

Topher

Gold Member
It was Quantum break in April 2016. I remember that's when I got rid of XB1

Fair enough. And it was in 2015 that sales of Xbox One were so bad that Phil Spencer announced that they would no longer be reporting sales numbers of the console.

Last edited:

Fabieter

That was not the reason. Dont lie man

Never said it was just that shareholders didn't have any benefits from it. Actually the last drop was because they couldn't hit their forecast of 25m and that forecast would be alot more likely with all games being full exclusive instead of timed exclusives so it's partly responsible for loss value.

Gaiff

Having exclusive products reinforces brand's value.
Maybe when they're good, but Xbox's exclusives haven't been good in over a decade. Mediocre and bad games will kill any brand, Doesn't matter if you port them to PC or not.

The PC ports were a response to an already failing brand. You guys are talking as if Xbox was doing great then suddenly started to falter when they started Day 1 PC games...no. The objective of the Day 1 PC port was to sell as many units as possible because Xbox alone wasn't cutting it.

Last edited:
Sony is having alot of bad decisions aa well will probably end like Xbox tho.
Sony has the perfect disaster case in front of them. Are they smart enough to avoid that catastrophe or their mistakes, enabling them to have their cake and eat it too? i dunno

The only thing that I know is that in the last quarter, Sony published 4 successful games which were used to market their console (as you are supposed to do). and they have been clear with their messaging: GaaS day one.

Fabieter

Gonna need a source for that, but funnily enough, Xbox hasn't had a steady supply of good games since around 2011. That might have a lot more to do with the financial woes than PC ports, don't you think?

Well they couldn't hit their last forecast which was definitely more likely with all games being full exclusive to Playstation which resulted in a drop in value ( not all of the mentioned 30b tho).

feynoob

Never said it was just that shareholders didn't have any benefits from it. Actually the last drop was because they couldn't hit their forecast of 25m and that forecast would be alot more likely with all games being full exclusive instead of timed exclusives so it's partly responsible for loss value.
Except that is not the case.

There is a big shift right now, unlike in the past.

You have PC, Mobile and Console ecosystem at the same time. You need to have other invesment, because console business wont be sustainable if this continues for too long.

Sony is also facing huge cost production and long term cycle for their games. PC would be a bigger market for them to recover those sales during draught time.

feynoob

And once again, GZ SONY FOR THIS SUCCESS.

Hopefully they do more games like these and provide entertainment for us. I bought the game already on steam.

To the democracy.

Top Bottom