• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mat Piscatella: PC has been a huge part of the success of Helldivers II in the US.

Fabieter

Except that is not the case.

There is a big shift right now, unlike in the past.

You have PC, Mobile and Console ecosystem at the same time. You need to have other invesment, because console business wont be sustainable if this continues for too long.

Sony is also facing huge cost production and long term cycle for their games. PC would be a bigger market for them to recover those sales during draught time.

I would definitely agree if they would actually expand their ecosystem which they don't do rn.

Do a launcher with ps+ stuff for pc players, cross buy, still release on steam but no steam keys on key stores. Those keys should be psn pc keys. Do something to actually expand what you are doing.

Killjoy-NL

PC didnt kill xbox. Xbox killed itself. Stop deluding yourself man.
That's what I said.
By bringing games to PC day 1, they started making their consoles obsolete. That isn't even debateable.
Only reason xbox is up is because of PC sales helping their brand.

Xbox lost badly because of the shitshow MS and Their upper management.

There shouldnt any reason for aaron to work there.
PC is carrying their brand because of what I said above.
Do you even read what you post?

People need to stop with this. What killed Xbox is a stream of mediocre games for over a decade. What, you think people would have flocked to buy Xboxes to play trash like Crackdown 3 if it wasn't on PC lol?
That's part of it as well. It's all about perception though.

You want to play Playstation games straight away? You need a Playstation.

You want to play Xbox games straight away? You don't need an Xbox per se.

One comes across as a necessity, the other as an option.
This is also apparent in the marketing and PR for both brands.

You mean you hope they won't, but in reality everyone knows where this is going in the future.
Just like GamePass?

gothmog

Gold Member
Sony has the perfect disaster case in front of them. Are they smart enough to avoid that catastrophe or their mistakes, enabling them to have their cake and eat it too? i dunno

The only thing that I know is that in the last quarter, Sony published 4 successful games which were used to market their console (as you are supposed to do). and they have been clear with their messaging: GaaS day one.
I think they're smart enough to know everything should be taken on a case by case basis. The GamePass day 1 promise was a mistake as it gives Xbox fanboys a reason to howl constantly when Microsoft tries to shift strategies. That kind of noise can kill a brand just by drowning out the positives.

feynoob

That's what I said.
By bringing games to PC day 1, they started making their consoles obsolete. That isn't even debateable.
That is dumb as a cow shit.

Xbox destroyed itself with that E3 showcase.

Pc is carrying them, because Xbox literally shat the bed in 2013. Them putting their games on PC day1 has nothing to do with their demise.

Three

Anecdotal but if you search "QB" with the username "Three" you'll see a timeline of exactly when I held on to then ditched xbox. I don't know the statistics of how it affects console sales but I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks like that.

feynoob

I would definitely agree if they would actually expand their ecosystem which they don't do rn.

Do a launcher with ps+ stuff for pc players, cross buy, still release on steam but no steam keys on key stores. Those keys should be psn pc keys. Do something to actually expand what you are doing.
Launcher is dead on arrival and wont work that much. Unless they buy gog or epic, i dont see them having that big presence on pc without steam.

and your last point would make their sales plummet to the ground. At least piracy would allow people to buy their games. That is how I started buying games.

feynoob

Anecdotal but if you search "QB" with the username "Three" you'll see a timeline of exactly when I held on to then ditched xbox. I don't know the statistics of how it affects console sales but I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks like that.
Have you not heard the term "Xbox got no games".
That alone had a big reason for their downfall.

Fabieter

Yes it's pretty stupid to think otherwise. Sony did so bad the first three years with playstation 3 and they needed alot of great exclusives on top of big price cuts on the consoles to rebound. If they said fuck it we will port everything to pc in 2009 than playstation would be dead by now but pc fanboys will tell everyone that's not the case.

Zathalus

Never said it was just that shareholders didn't have any benefits from it. Actually the last drop was because they couldn't hit their forecast of 25m and that forecast would be alot more likely with all games being full exclusive instead of timed exclusives so it's partly responsible for loss value.
Why would the 25 million number be more likely? You think the number of people deciding to not buy a PS5 and invest in a PC is large enough to cover several million console sales for a single year?

If so, why are the Sony games on PC not reflecting this? Surely if millions of gamers have shifted to PC from PlayStation then the Sony published games on PC should all see a massive uptick in sales?

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
That's what I said.

That's part of it as well. It's all about perception though.

You want to play Playstation games straight away? You need a Playstation.

You want to play Xbox games straight away? You don't need an Xbox per se.

One comes across as a necessity, the other as an option.
This is also apparent in the marketing and PR for both brands.
This is true if said brand has good games to offer. People don’t buy consoles to play shit games.

Exclusives are supposed to be flagship titles and among the best gaming has to offer. This hasn’t been the case for Xbox since 2011. People wouldn’t have bought more Xboxes to play trash games.

Last edited:

Three

Have you not heard the term "Xbox got no games".
That alone had a big reason for their downfall.
Yeah, but "xbox got no games even when they release games" isn't any better for trying to sell an xbox console to PC owners. That's why MS have to try and change the meaning of xbox to keep the brand alive.

Fabieter

Launcher is dead on arrival and wont work that much. Unless they buy gog or epic, i dont see them having that big presence on pc without steam.

and your last point would make their sales plummet to the ground. At least piracy would allow people to buy their games. That is how I started buying games.

Well if their console business is fucked and they need steam to make money on pc ( imo steam fanboy bullshit) than sony should already get used to having way less revenue than they have now.

feynoob

Yeah, but "xbox got no games even when they release games" isn't any better for trying to sell an xbox console to PC owners. That's why MS have to try and change the meaning of xbox to keep the brand alive.
The pc part is why their ecosystem survived from getting gutted.

If Xbox had games to begin with, they wouldnt have declined. Their downfall started at the end of xbox 360. Years of no big AAA games led to people leaving Xbox brand.

There are 13-18 year old kids every year who will buy those consoles. MS just needed to invest first party games. They didnt and had to spend 80b to do get those AAA games.

feynoob

Well if their console business is fucked and they need steam to make money on pc ( imo steam fanboy bullshit) than sony should already get used to having way less revenue than they have now.
The current issue now is investment. Those huge cost development that get ballooned every year and the longer development cycle.

PS wouldnt need PC in 2013. They need now because the economy is shit, and have to compete with mobile to attract younger audience.

Fabieter

Why would the 25 million number be more likely? You think the number of people deciding to not buy a PS5 and invest in a PC is large enough to cover several million console sales for a single year?

If so, why are the Sony games on PC not reflecting this? Surely if millions of gamers have shifted to PC from PlayStation then the Sony published games on PC should all see a massive uptick in sales?

No its about mind share. If Iam interested in ps games I can safely invest in pc today and play them sooner or later.

It’s mostly hopium on their part
Can't we say the same thing about you saying that Single player games won't come to PC day and date? If they bring out another Gaas and blows up just as big, they will try a Single player game. This isn't like MS, Microsoft shot themselves in the foot with the Xbox one. Sony can be on both PC and PlayStation and the PlayStation will be fine.

reinking

Gold Member
Yes. PC definitely helped in sales. Duh. Yes. Totoki has already said that Sony has opportunities for growth by expanding first-party games in the PC and mobile space. He was also clear that the PlayStation console would remain the focus. I'm not seeing controversy here.

Fabieter

The current issue now is investment. Those huge cost development that get ballooned every year and the longer development cycle.

PS wouldnt need PC in 2013. They need now because the economy is shit, and have to compete with mobile to attract younger audience.

Like I said if this is true what you say than sony will downsize their gaming efforts in the future. They earn most of their money through 3p nowadays and having to rely on other platforms they have no control in will be hard. Good bye old Sony :).

feynoob

No its about mind share. If Iam interested in ps games I can safely invest in pc today and play them sooner or later.
Good luck investing in PC.
That shit takes too much resources and commitment. Then you have to fight windows every month to make your games work. Then fight with devs to get a proper patch that doesnt make the game bad.

Once you get past those issues, you should enjoy pc.

Topher

Gold Member
That shit takes too much resources and commitment. Then you have to fight windows every month to make your games work. Then fight with devs to get a proper patch that doesnt make the game bad.

And you were doing so good

Frustrated Here We Go GIF by Sesame Street

Zathalus

So Sony lost out on millions of sales in a single year due to mind share? That seems incredibly unlikely.

Seems far more reasonable to conclude they missed the 25 million mark because they overestimated the demand in the market. Even though they missed the mark, it still remains one of PlayStations best years ever.

feynoob

Like I said if this is true what you say than sony will downsize their gaming efforts in the future. They earn most of their money through 3p nowadays and having to rely on other platforms they have no control in will be hard. Good bye old Sony :).
That is just the nature of business these days.

Once stock people took over, it was over for people like us. Now its just making sure stock is nice and not the product itself.

Fabieter

I know so many people who started their pc journey the last few years after being life long console gamers.

If sony don't find success on their own launcher and just port everything to steam than they will downsize in the future. Less games and even less risk than its today.

Fabieter

That is just the nature of business these days.

Once stock people took over, it was over for people like us. Now its just making sure stock is nice and not the product itself.

Hope it works out for the stock like I said the last few years were rough for sony stocks and they even bought stocks back but it didn't help alot.

feynoob

I know so many people who started their pc journey the last few years after being life long console gamers.

If sony don't find success on their own launcher and just port everything to steam than they will downsize in the future. Less games and even less risk than its today.
Sony bigger issue is mobile crowd, not pc. They cant lose those teens to mobile.

PC is different market.

feynoob

I fucked up my himem setting in my config.sys and my machine wouldn't boot up for three weeks. I mostly fixed it by adjusting some IRQ settings but now all my sounds come out of my mouse.
Messed up the windows update settings once and made my old pc useless.
Wifi couldnt work at all. Windows couldnt update or get the new version because of the update loop.

Since then, I stayed clear from messing up with those settings.

Fabieter

Sony bigger issue is mobile crowd, not pc. They cant lose those teens to mobile.

PC is different market.

They wont control the mobile platform either. Their mobile phones almost have no market share and they dont own their own play store. They will definitely lose relevance in the future.

Pc gaming is totally competion to console. It gives you 99% of the console games so why wouldnt it?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The day every Sony exclusive is available day one on PC is the day I'm switching to PC gaming. I'm confident it will be a reality at some point because sooner or later, they will hit a ceiling and will need to find new ways to make more profit.

If they really do go day-and-date with PC releases on all exclusives, I don't think I could justify buying another PlayStation console...

These two quotes are why going day and date with PC on every PS 1st game is stupid! Why should Sony chase Xbox, when they are cooking now their way?

feynoob

They wont control the mobile platform either. Their mobile phones almost have no market share and they dont own their own play store. They will definitely lose relevance in the future.

Pc gaming is totally competion to console. It gives you 99% of the console games so why wouldnt it?
Mobile market is a threat to them because it takes userbase away from them.

Pc crowd grow up with minecraft. The newer generation are now growing up with roblox. Kids are getting ipads in to their face nonstop.

In 4-6 years from now, those userbase would not care about consoles at all.

Messed up the windows update settings once and made my old pc useless.
Wifi couldnt work at all. Windows couldnt update or get the new version because of the update loop.

Since then, I stayed clear from messing up with those settings.
i remember deleting the Net framework updates and other shit in windows XP.... yep. bad idea.

Fabieter

So Sony lost out on millions of sales in a single year due to mind share? That seems incredibly unlikely.

Seems far more reasonable to conclude they missed the 25 million mark because they overestimated the demand in the market. Even though they missed the mark, it still remains one of PlayStations best years ever.

Certainly! In the past, a single exclusive game could drive millions of console sales within a year. However, it's impossible to know if those consoles would have reached 25 million units without such exclusives, as we don't have access to a parallel universe for comparison.

Fabieter

Mobile market is a threat to them because it takes userbase away from them.

Pc crowd grow up with minecraft. The newer generation are now growing up with roblox. Kids are getting ipads in to their face nonstop.

In 4-6 years from now, those userbase would not care about consoles at all.

Oh I agree it's a threat for them. I dont see them changing anything about it. They will try to do some mobile games to have their helldivers 2 moment on ios and android. It will bring revenue and profit but to control a platform like steam, psn, android or its that's were you wanna be. If your own platform looses relevance than you have far bigger problems.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I find it absolutely hilarious that Playstation execs refuse to recognize this game's success. My guess is that there is a tug of war going on at sony right now and people there dont want to admit that PC made this game a massive success. They have seen MS and know that day one PC releases are a death sentence but their bosses over at Sony corp dont and the moment playstation reveals the sales, those sony corpo heads are going to delay every game to release day and date with PC. With nixxes pumping out like 3-4 ports a year, they have the perfect studio to port day one releases of the 1-2 first party releases they have every year.

There's literally NO WAY Nixxes would be able to do the bolded and still be able to put out a good PC version. It's just literally not possible!

Yeah jts fun to say stuff like this but also I think hard data would be more conclusive

Mat Piscatella likes to create narratives. Hard data makes it harder to create a narrative.

even less when you take into account to play online you need a subscription.

HD2 on PS make more money per capita and it's more valuable than on PC.

Exactly! The bolded is what most in this thread don't want to discuss or admit though. Most are scared to have this conversation.

simpatico

History will look back on Helldivers 2 as the game that killed the Playstation hardware division. Sony accountants got a little taste of that Steam dough every week. And it just kept on coming. Week after week. Mad dollars. Gabe dollars. After all the finger licking and lip smacking that accompanies so many tastes, I bet they had to wonder.... Wonder if it's all worth it..... What if we just....nah.... But.... hmmmmmm

Topher

Gold Member
I fucked up my himem setting in my config.sys and my machine wouldn't boot up for three weeks. I mostly fixed it by adjusting some IRQ settings but now all my sounds come out of my mouse.

Keep at it man. Zork is a great game

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Can't we say the same thing about you saying that Single player games won't come to PC day and date? If they bring out another Gaas and blows up just as big, they will try a Single player game. This isn't like MS, Microsoft shot themselves in the foot with the Xbox one. Sony can be on both PC and PlayStation and the PlayStation will be fine.

No, because Sony has been very transparent about their PC strategy

A shift in that strategy requires hopium

Top Bottom