• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mat Piscatella: PC has been a huge part of the success of Helldivers II in the US.

Klosshufvud

Mat Pishitella hot takes are so obnoxious. We knew years ago that numerous publishers get a huge, sometimes majority of their sales from PC. Capcom has said as much and I believe also From Software. It's no secret that PC has been a vital platform for multiplat releases for years now.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
You're not wrong. And it's not PC ports that's the issue, it's day 1 PC that's an issue. It sends a bad signal to consumers.
Exclusivity leads to FOMO.
Yeah, I meant day 1, obviously. My point is simply that bad games don't sell regardless of their exclusivity status. I was very much into Xbox during the 360 days but didn't bother getting an Xbox One or Series X. I also haven't bought a Microsoft-published game since Forza Horizon 5 and I suspect it's the case for a lot of PC players as well. Their games just don't appeal to anyone because the quality is lacking. If they were amazing, then I don't doubt that a lot of potential Xbox sales would have been lost to PC.
Hence why Sony will not do it for their singleplayer titles (i.e. flagship titles). There is little to gain, much to lose.
Yeah, and I said as much earlier in the thread. I don't think it makes a lot of sense for them to do day 1 single-player games on PC.

rm082e

You think Sony won't work with FromSoftware in the future after they just bought a substantial amount of stock in the company?

I think it would be hard to convince a company like From who has seen massive success with their last game to make another true exclusive for their console. Keep in mind, the point I was making about Demon's Souls and Bloodborne is that they didn't come to PC. I would have loved it if they were each 1 year exclusives on PlayStation, then got a PC port. I could skip buying the console and wait a year if I knew I would get a PC port eventually. But both of those games were true console exclusives, so I had to buy the consoles to get my hands on them.

After the success of Elden Ring, I doubt Sony could justify giving them enough money to make a game of the same size and scope as Bloodborne that is a true console exclusive.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next Elden Ring was PS6 exclusive.

If by "exclusive" you mean it wouldn't come to Xbox, but would still come to PC, then maybe. Given some of the software sales numbers we've seen for the Xbox Series versions of games recently, I won't be surprised if any company not owned by Microsoft decides to skip the Xbox Series going forward.

Keep in mind From just did some deal with Namco to buy the IP for Elden Ring. Seems like they want more control over their future. I think Sony owns less than 15% of From, so I don't think they're in a position to twist their arm.

Even if they did do some deal to block the game coming to Xbox, if future Elden Ring games come to PC then it's back to my point about not needing a PlayStation console. And I can't see Sony paying them a bunch more money to not put out a PC version of ER2. That would be terrible PR for Sony, and it wouldn't get very many PC players to buy their console. It would just be a dick move on their part.

Killjoy-NL

Yeah, I meant day 1, obviously. My point is simply that bad games don't sell regardless of their exclusivity status. I was very much into Xbox during the 360 days but didn't bother getting an Xbox One or Series X. I also haven't bought a Microsoft-published game since Forza Horizon 5 and I suspect it's the case for a lot of PC players as well. Their games just don't appeal to anyone because the quality is lacking. If they were amazing, then I don't doubt that a lot of potential Xbox sales would have been lost to PC.

Yeah, and I said as much earlier in the thread. I don't think it makes a lot of sense for them to do day 1 single-player games on PC.
Guess we can agree after all.✌🏾

I think it would be hard to convince a company like From who has seen massive success with their last game to make another true exclusive for their console. Keep in mind, the point I was making about Demon's Souls and Bloodborne is that they didn't come to PC. I would have loved it if they were each 1 year exclusives on PlayStation, then got a PC port. I could skip buying the console and wait a year if I knew I would get a PC port eventually. But both of those games were true console exclusives, so I had to buy the consoles to get my hands on them.

After the success of Elden Ring, I doubt Sony could justify giving them enough money to make a game of the same size and scope as Bloodborne that is a true console exclusive.

If by "exclusive" you mean it wouldn't come to Xbox, but would still come to PC, then maybe. Given some of the software sales numbers we've seen for the Xbox Series versions of games recently, I won't be surprised if any company not owned by Microsoft decides to skip the Xbox Series going forward.

Keep in mind From just did some deal with Namco to buy the IP for Elden Ring. Seems like they want more control over their future. I think Sony owns less than 15% of From, so I don't think they're in a position to twist their arm.

Even if they did do some deal to block the game coming to Xbox, if future Elden Ring games come to PC then it's back to my point about not needing a PlayStation console. And I can't see Sony paying them a bunch more money to not put out a PC version of ER2. That would be terrible PR for Sony, and it wouldn't get very many PC players to buy their console. It would just be a dick move on their part.

I like how you're telling me to keep something in mind that I brought up myself...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
70B purchase changed everything.
Sony cant rely on those 3rd parties anymore if other companies can spend that much money.

Nah, sorry bro but you're wrong here. The $70B purchased meant MS is now gonna be forced to support every platform with those games that they now own. They financially have no other choice. Sony is now in this position. So, they don't have to chase Xbox and follow their plans. IT.....WILL....NOT......WORK!

He’s literally coddling you insecure PlayStation fans, and you can’t even see it.
:messenger_tears_of_joy: I own a high-end gaming rig with a 4090. Who are you calling an insecure PS fan?

Relax warrior, not everything is console wars. I was only trolling hence the smiley face in my post but you took it literally, LMFAO.

:messenger_sunglasses: There's always someone that takes the bait.

Last edited:

feynoob

Nah, sorry bro but you're wrong here. The $70B purchased meant MS is now gonna be forced to support every platform with those games that they now own. They financially have no other choice. Sony is now in this position. So, they don't have to chase Xbox and follow their plans. IT.....WILL....NOT......WORK!
Way to miss the point.

That 70b purchase was a clear message to Sony that they need to rely on themselves not on 3rd party devs.

Activision was a key player for them only for MS to snatch them under their belly. And now MS would put those games on game pass day1. Activision marketing helped them sell more consoles.

Right now, 3rd party devs aren't safe. Sega/square enix/take 2/EA and Ubisoft are on the market and big company could buy those companies.

This was not the case during ps4 gen, which sony enjoyed the privilege of those games.

Last edited:

feynoob

Yes, because platformholders bringing their 1st party output to other platforms can devalue their console.
Then Sony should lose that by now, since steam has most of their exclusives.
2 year is nothing. Right now we are 4 years in this gen.

They can coexist if they have their own specific demographic, like PC, Nintendo (Switch) and Playstation.

Playstation and Xbox can't coexist, because they fight for the very same demographic.

And people might not ditch their PS because of PC releases, but it does devalue the brand, even more so if they release on PC day 1 for all games.

It's a slippery slope that Sony is careful to tread, because with Xbox as example, it can spiral out of control before you know it.
And as Sony has stated and insinuated over and over, contrary to MS, consoles are still the core of their business
The slippery slope is for Sony to lose out on revenue. You can't expect all of their games to sell 10+m every release.

They don't really have that much choice. Either preserve their platform by expanding their business, or miss out on these opportunities and risk having financial problems.

Remember that PS almost sank due to ps3 mess.

The models for Ps1-ps4 doesn't work at this age. Game development is very expensive. You are looking at 5+ years worth of development time with large devs making the game. Some projects don't see the daylight which causes a dent to their financial money.

It's a brave world out there now. Even MS can't sustain Xbox with their money for that long. Sooner or later you will have diversify your business and look for other opportunities. Even if that means day1 games.

mckmas8808

Way to miss the point.

That 70b purchase was a clear message to Sony that they need to rely on themselves not on 3rd party devs.

Activision was a key player for them only for MS to snatch them under their belly. And now MS would put those games on game pass day1. Activision marketing helped them sell more consoles.

Right now, 3rd party devs aren't safe. Sega/square enix/take 2/EA and Ubisoft are on the market and big company could buy those companies.

This was not the case during ps4 gen, which sony enjoyed the privilege of those games.

Does any of that matter, if there's no traditional Xbox console next-gen? Where do you think most will play those 3rd party games on? The Lenovo Xbox 720? Or PS6 and PC?

mckmas8808

The models for Ps1-ps4 doesn't work at this age. Game development is very expensive. You are looking at 5+ years worth of development time with large devs making the game. Some projects don't see the daylight which causes a dent to their financial money.

It's a brave world out there now. Even MS can't sustain Xbox with their money for that long. Sooner or later you will have diversify your business and look for other opportunities. Even if that means day1 games.

This is just literally wrong LOL! The bolded is insanely wrong. Insomniac is giving Sony the blueprint to how it'll need to be done though. You can take 5 to 6 years to make one game. You need multiple dev houses to make games. The Spiderman 1, then Miles Morales, then Spiderman 2 rhythm is necessary.

They will need to control costs of course. And putting your games on PC after 1 year will help Sony. But it doesn't mean they have to put all PS 1st party games on PC day one. Totally a stupid move, that'll lock them into a horrible future.

feynoob

Does any of that matter, if there's no traditional Xbox console next-gen? Where do you think most will play those 3rd party games on? The Lenovo Xbox 720? Or PS6 and PC?
It matters a lot.
Sony relied on Activision games to sell their consoles. They even had PS5 logo on the COD marketing on some billboards.

Losing that would affect with how you market the PS5 and future ps consoles. They will now have to look for other marketing games.

feynoob

This is just literally wrong LOL! The bolded is insanely wrong. Insomniac is giving Sony the blueprint to how it'll need to be done though. You can take 5 to 6 years to make one game. You need multiple dev houses to make games. The Spiderman 1, then Miles Morales, then Spiderman 2 rhythm is necessary.

They will need to control costs of course. And putting your games on PC after 1 year will help Sony. But it doesn't mean they have to put all PS 1st party games on PC day one. Totally a stupid move, that'll lock them into a horrible future.
But that doesn't change the cost and salary prices.

Killjoy-NL

In a way, sure.
We already have people on the first page expecting day 1 releases.
The slippery slope is for Sony to lose out on revenue. You can't expect all of their games to sell 10+m every release.

They don't really have that much choice. Either preserve their platform by expanding their business, or miss out on these opportunities and risk having financial problems.
They've missed out on revenue since forever and apart from the fuckup at launch with PS3, they've done just fine. They even made an amazing recovery as a whole with PS4, without PC.

They're market-leader for a reason.

Yes, and that's why they will focus on bringing GaaS titles to PC day 1, which should generate most revenue on PC.

Singleplayer titles will be released when sales dry up on console, to give a little extra boost on PC.

Sony has been very clear on that. Consoles are their main focus, PC is there on the side in support.

And lots of publishers cancel projects, Sony is just being placed under the microscope because a certain demographic is hoping that #SonyToo.
Yes, Xbox. Xbox is also the only one dying.

Playstation is market-leader and carrying the console-market at the moment.
Nintendo is doing wonderful with their current strategy of going hybrid.
PC will always do it's own thing alongside consoles.

It's really just Xbox that is in big trouble and their situation is incomparable to Playstation.

So, there is no "brave new world" out there. It's just Xbox dying and people clinging onto false hope, trying to spin it in such a way that it doesn't seem bad.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
:messenger_tears_of_joy: I own a high-end gaming rig with a 4090. Who are you calling an insecure PS fan?

Relax warrior, not everything is console wars. I was only trolling hence the smiley face in my post but you took it literally, LMFAO.

:messenger_sunglasses: There's always someone that takes the bait.

Warriors are plentiful and wars are aplenty.

It’s hard to tell sometimes.

feynoob

Yes, Xbox. Xbox is also the only one dying.
It's amazing what having a daddy money can do to you.

3rd place, abysmal previous gen. Then they go a head and spend 80b like it's nothing. Just daddy money going around.

At this point I don't even know what qualifies as success anymore.

Bkdk

Time to release ff7r and stellar babes on pc asap. I want second definitive playthrough with mods.

Guilty_AI

Time to release ff7r and stellar babes on pc asap. I want second definitive playthrough with mods.
anya-smug-anya.gif

Last edited:
Helldivers 2 is great glad it's done well. I can't wait for Ghost of Tsushima, day 1 for me. Really glad to see the salty fanboys upset they have to share their toys.

demigod

It matters a lot.
Sony relied on Activision games to sell their consoles. They even had PS5 logo on the COD marketing on some billboards.

Losing that would affect with how you market the PS5 and future ps consoles. They will now have to look for other marketing games.
Lmfao, no. This is flat out wrong. Activision got in bed with Sony when they saw xbox sales(xbox one) were declining. Stop trying to rewrite history. You probably don’t even know who they had before they went with CoD for marketing.

There will be other marketing deals to replace what they lost.

feynoob

Lmfao, no. This is flat out wrong. Activision got in bed with Sony when they saw xbox sales(xbox one) were declining. Stop trying to rewrite history. You probably don’t even know who they had before they went with CoD for marketing.

There will be other marketing deals to replace what they lost.
You are right. Activision is a nobody company.

Stooky

Way to miss the point.

I want some of what you are smoking. All of those will not be Day 1 on games pass, many of them will be playstation.

feynoob

I want some of what you are smoking. All of those will not be Day 1 on games pass, many of them will be playstation.
No one gives a crap if it hits PS, Nintendo or Apple console.
All that matters is who owns them. Sony cant negotiate for marketing deals, since MS owns them. Same thing would happen to other companies, if they get bought. And Sony might even lose the chance for some exclusives.

Speaking personally here, but I'm at the point where those traditional consoles aren't worth it anymore, and I don't game on PC, so if I can't get those third party games on Switch 2 I just won't play them. And this is from someone who's always bought all consoles each gen for a long time now.

Stooky

No one gives a crap if it hits PS, Nintendo or Apple console.
All that matters is who owns them. Sony cant negotiate for marketing deals, since MS owns them. Same thing would happen to other companies, if they get bought. And Sony might even lose the chance for some exclusives.
That's not true at all. Sony can still negotiate marketing deals, especially if its putting more money in MS pocket and it makes sense for MS position. Any game MS sold for playstion MS is paying a Sony a fee depending on the deal. MS wants money. Being exclusive is not helping them based on their console market share.

Last edited:

feynoob

That's not true at all. Sony can still negotiate marketing deals, especially if its putting more money in MS pocket and it makes sense for MS position. Any game MS sold for playstion MS is paying a Sony a fee depending on the deal. MS wants money. Being exclusive is not helping them based on their console market share.
MS would never allow Sony for marketing purpose. That period was during the cma deal. Now that is off the table.

Last edited:

feynoob

Speaking personally here, but I'm at the point where those traditional consoles aren't worth it anymore, and I don't game on PC, so if I can't get those third party games on Switch 2 I just won't play them. And this is from someone who's always bought all consoles each gen for a long time now.
Consoles are now excutive toys. The passion excutives are not there anymore. Its just $$$$$.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
You and I will have to disagree on that. Those HFW numbers are bad, it flopped from what I’m seeing. I can’t imagine Sony is too happy with its performance on PC considering how the last one sold.

Certainly. I guess I'll agree with Sony's side here. Happy that they are going to continue if not increase their effort.

Mat Pishitella hot takes are so obnoxious. We knew years ago that numerous publishers get a huge, sometimes majority of their sales from PC. Capcom has said as much and I believe also From Software. It's no secret that PC has been a vital platform for multiplat releases for years now.
He clearly has an agenda. A few days after HD2 released, he shared unreliable data showing 80% of HD2 players were on PC. This was obviously false, he later deleted it. It's just weird how much he seems to dislike Sony

Klosshufvud

He clearly has an agenda. A few days after HD2 released, he shared unreliable data showing 80% of HD2 players were on PC. This was obviously false, he later deleted it. It's just weird how much he seems to dislike Sony
He claimed 25% of all Steam users in NA were playing HD2 at one point which was so wrong. He later redacted it upon getting called out. Really I think his agenda is to constantly play the corporate dog role. That statement came very close to Sony's multiplat plans so I read it as him justifying their decisions with absurd "facts".

He claimed 25% of all Steam users in NA were playing HD2 at one point which was so wrong. He later redacted it upon getting called out. Really I think his agenda is to constantly play the corporate dog role. That statement came very close to Sony's multiplat plans so I read it as him justifying their decisions with absurd "facts".
Yeah, 100% pushing an agenda

Last edited:
Doesn’t work for single player games

HFW bombed on PC

Only makes sense for GaaS titles
That wasn't a day 1 release. What makes Helldivers 2 interesting is that it's a day 1 release of a Playstation 1st party game. All other games have late releases without the big bang marketing budget and hype of a day 1 release. PC games sell a ton these days but they are pretty much all day 1 releases because pretty much no one other than rockstar and Sony do late PC launches.

Three

He frames the data for his agenda. The data wasn't unreliable but he clearly wanted to try and push the narrative and let people come to the incorrect conclusion that the overwhelming majority of users were on PC. As far as I remember his data was showing a higher percentage of the steam population were playing a specific game vs the PS population playing a specific game. It was not that this percentage converted to number of users was greater than those playing on Playstation. There was absolutely no reason to compare those percentages. What conclusion was he trying to draw from it? Of course people absolutely incorrectly read that as the helldivers population being 80% on steam and 20% on playstation. The same now, he knew people would interpret his initial tweet as "The reason Helldivers is successful is due to the PC release".

Sorry for the rant. Anyway, it's clear that Sony's current strategy is very PS5 focused. The biggest sign that PS want to sell PS5s and they want to do that with PS5 content is the fact that they don't let any client software even stream PS5 games. This would be the simplest least costly 'port' to expand your audience to the most devices but they choose to lock PS5 streaming to those who own a PS5. Not even to their own PS4 install base. I have no doubt that currently they want people to buy a PS5 to be able to play PS5 games otherwise there would be no reason whatsoever to do this. This may change in the future but that's the biggest sign of their current strategy to me.

Last edited:
I think the route for Sony will be to release multiplayer games day one on PC and the single player games will start console exclusive until 1-2 years after release and having then an additional sales boost again.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
That wasn't a day 1 release. What makes Helldivers 2 interesting is that it's a day 1 release of a Playstation 1st party game. All other games have late releases without the big bang marketing budget and hype of a day 1 release. PC games sell a ton these days but they are pretty much all day 1 releases because pretty much no one other than rockstar and Sony do late PC launches.
HFW wasn't released day one and it was assumed that it was NEVER coming off the PlayStation.

It doesn't matter that it wasn't a day 1 release.

You think GTA6 isn't going to do huge numbers on PC just because it's not a day 1 release? It happens to be another big GaaS type title.

The single player, story driven games just aren't popular on PC. And that's Sony first party's bread and butter. All these PC ports are simply not moving the needle, and they are compromising the prestige of the Playstation brand in the process. It's totally shortsighted at this point.

It didnt bomb...45k ccu is at least 400k copies, that already is profit and free money for sony. Tsushima looks like its gonna sell better and in the long run they are gonna keep selling so nah, not a bomb like you would like it to be.

That's like only $10M dollars. HFW brought in hundreds of millions on PS5.

$10M is absolutely a massive bomb. And these are the types of games Sony is releasing on PC. And there's maybe only 1-2 of them per year for Sony now that their back catalogue is completely on PC.

It's not a winning strategy for them.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

I don't understand the devalue talk either when at the same time console fans say its a good thing because its some trojan horse shit.

feynoob

I don't understand the devalue talk either when at the same time console fans say its a good thing because its some trojan horse shit.
It's a pointless moot that people bring in.

If that was the case, then them putting the games on Pc is already devaluing their console. 2 year is nothing compared to day1. Because those games would build a huge library in 5 years time.

Top Bottom