• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mat Piscatella: PC has been a huge part of the success of Helldivers II in the US.

The only people in denial are the ones that think Single player games aren't coming day and date. Ultimate why does it matter for us PC players? We get the game a year or two later. If it happens it happens. I still wait even a year after to buy the game so I can get it for much cheaper. The console fans though are grasping on to this hoping this doesn't happen. Just like Xbox fans were back before they announced games are coming day and date on the PC. 10 years ago people with laughing and insulting people saying Playstation games are coming to PC, And behold guess what happened. Single player games will come to PC day and date down the road. It's not the matter of if, the matter of when.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The only people in denial are the ones that think Single player games aren't coming day and date. Ultimate why does it matter for us PC players? We get the game a year or two later. If it happens it happens. I still wait even a year after by the game so I can get it for much cheaper. The console fans though are grasping on to this hoping this doesn't happen. Just like Xbox fans were back before they announced games are coming day and date on the PC. 10 years ago people with laughing and insulting people saying Playstation games are coming to PC, And behold guess what happened. Single player games will come to PC day and date down the road. It's not the matter of if, the matter of when.
I don't think single-player games day 1 to PC are coming as long as Sony has a console business. I don't think it makes sense for several reasons.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Who’s the usual Sony crowd? You got names there buddy?

Shocked Sesame Street GIF by Muppet Wiki

nial

Gold Member
The only people in denial are the ones that think Single player games aren't coming day and date. Ultimate why does it matter for us PC players? We get the game a year or two later. If it happens it happens. I still wait even a year after to buy the game so I can get it for much cheaper. The console fans though are grasping on to this hoping this doesn't happen. Just like Xbox fans were back before they announced games are coming day and date on the PC. 10 years ago people with laughing and insulting people saying Playstation games are coming to PC, And behold guess what happened. Single player games will come to PC day and date down the road. It's not the matter of if, the matter of when.
Oh boy, I wonder what were the sales of first-party Xbox One software in 2015.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don't think single-player games day 1 to PC are coming as long as Sony has a console business. I don't think it makes sense for several reasons.

They really don’t need to. But two years is just dumb. Six to twelve months makes more sense. In two years nobody gives a shit anymore.

I’ve already stopped caring about God of War Ragnarok. It’s old.

Buggy Loop

Oh boy the sneak agenda pushing. Any PC version is supposed to outsell any console version(considering how many capable PCs are out there). Especially seeing that the PS5 only 50 million units on the market. Let me know when this tread involves more than one title.

The dude that is tweeting this has made the "only one platform" statements in the past so it's hard ignore his bias. Besides I want to see the official split numbers from Sony.

Bingo

I thought PC gamers were on intel integrated graphics to play Counter Strike though and that the good rigs were a negligible minority? Or did that goal post move?

Gaiff

They really don’t need to. But two years is just dumb. Six to twelve months makes more sense. In two years nobody gives a shit anymore.

I’ve already stopped caring about God of War Ragnarok. It’s old.
Two years is a bit long, I agree. They should probably go for 1 year. I suppose they ran the numbers and determined that PlayStation sales were still strong after 1 year and releasing a PC port that potentially runs better would be detrimental to the console so they settled on 2 years.

The port for Forbidden West only took a year so they definitely could have released it way back in 2023 if they wished.

I bought Ragnarok for my PS4 Pro day 1 but couldn't bring myself to finish it. I stopped shortly after Asgard. I loved the 2018 game but can't stand its sequel.

feynoob

Two years is a bit long, I agree. They should probably go for 1 year. I suppose they ran the numbers and determined that PlayStation sales were still strong after 1 year and releasing a PC port that potentially runs better would be detrimental to the console so they settled on 2 years.

The port for Forbidden West only took a year so they definitely could have released it way back in 2023 if they wished.

I bought Ragnarok for my PS4 Pro day 1 but couldn't bring myself to finish it. I stopped shortly after Asgard. I loved the 2018 game but can't stand its sequel.
We went from not happening, ok here is hzd. Oh you guys love this? Then take Gow, spiderman and uncharted thieves. Wait? You guys are buying these games? Then here is the remaining PS4 exclusives.
Oh you guys are naughty hungry. We will soon port spiderman 2, gow2 and our future games. Meanwhile, enjoy our day1 live service games.

It's a matter of time before these leadership go full day1. Especially with how long their games is taking to make.

I am glad I didn't buy PS5/xsx. I am content with my PC.

Gaiff

We went from not happening, ok here is hzd. Oh you guys love this? Then take Gow, spiderman and uncharted thieves. Wait? You guys are buying these games? Then here is the remaining PS4 exclusives.
Oh you guys are naughty hungry. We will soon port spiderman 2, gow2 and our future games. Meanwhile, enjoy our day1 live service games.

It's a matter of time before these leadership go full day1. Especially with how long their games is taking to make.

I’ll say it again, single-player games on Day 1 on PC makes no sense. It would do a lot more harm than good to the PS brand.

feynoob

I’ll say it again, single-player games on Day 1 on PC makes no sense. It would do a lot more harm than good to the PS brand.
Say that to stock holders. They don't give a crap about these, as long as the green stuff look good.

It's why the market is in the gutter.

Gaiff

Say that to stock holders. They don't give a crap about these, as long as the green stuff look good.

It's why the market is in the gutter.
But that's exactly my point. PC players cannot be monetized like PlayStation customers. They will just buy games. They won't buy PS+, accessories, consoles, and other PlayStation services. As a result, attracting people to the PS ecosystem is far more valuable than just selling them games while they remain on PC.

The main reason Sony is porting their games to PC is to recoup the enormous dev cost and also the fact that they realized that a significant chunk of the PC userbase will just never come to PlayStation. It doesn't mean they should start giving more reasons to ditch their consoles for a PC.

ChiefDada

Gold Member

First of all, WELCOME BACK, STRANGER!!!

Now back to your post: It's really about optimization time. PC players really don't want day and date for single player Sony games because it won't be a pretty picture. It will only end up with them complaining about "poor optimization" and reduced goodwill for Sony in the PC marketplace. It's difficult enough to create a polished AAAA game one ONE PLATFORM, let alone hundreds of different hardware variations. In fact, you shouldn't even think about this possibility until you see a cinematic 1st Party PS5 single player game that doesn’t have any major issues on PC release day under the current status quo of 1-2yr delay; Spiderman, Ratchet, HFW, TLOU all have issues. And notice how the current gen only ports are the worst offenders. And youre sitting here saying single player day and date is only a matter of time????

Spit Take Lol GIF by Justin

GAAS games such as Helldivers doesn't have the same issue because things like top tier tech and production value simply aren't the main focus, which is why it makes sense to be able to release alongside PS5. Not much of a tech optimization hurdle there.

Topher

Gold Member

I don't think it would make a lot of difference. Console gamers will still be console gamers. They are not going to drop their PS5, leave behind their PS library and invest in PC, simply because some first party games launch day one on PC. I think a small segment of gamers who own both PC and PS would decide there is too much redundancy, but the vast majority will still be gaming with thier console in the living with the big TV.

Last edited:
I don't think it would make a lot of difference. Console gamers will still be console gamers. They are not going to drop their PS5, leave behind their PS library and invest in PC, simply because some first party games launch day one on PC. I think a small segment of gamers who own both PC and PS would decide there is too much redundancy, but the vast majority will still be gaming with thier console in the living with the big TV.

The vast majority will be marching to Sony HQ to make our console great again

feynoob

Now back to your post: It's really about optimization time. PC players really don't want day and date for single player Sony games because it won't be a pretty picture. It will only end up with them complaining about "poor optimization" and reduced goodwill for Sony in the PC marketplace. It's difficult enough to create a polished AAAA game one ONE PLATFORM, let alone hundreds of different hardware variations. In fact, you shouldn't even think about this possibility until you see a cinematic 1st Party PS5 single player game that doesn’t have any major issues on PC release day under the current status quo of 1-2yr delay; Spiderman, Ratchet, HFW, TLOU all have issues. And notice how the current gen only ports are the worst offenders. And youre sitting here saying single player day and date is only a matter of time????
We arent making the game. Our wallets do the talk for us, not us being loud in the forums. We did that with cyberpunk and other games. Yet those games sold alot.

As long as people buy those games, nothing will matter. Learned that lesson with mtx.

feynoob

But that's exactly my point. PC players cannot be monetized like PlayStation customers. They will just buy games. They won't buy PS+, accessories, consoles, and other PlayStation services. As a result, attracting people to the PS ecosystem is far more valuable than just selling them games while they remain on PC.

The main reason Sony is porting their games to PC is to recoup the enormous dev cost and also the fact that they realized that a significant chunk of the PC userbase will just never come to PlayStation. It doesn't mean they should start giving more reasons to ditch their consoles for a PC.
The one key part that is wrong with this statement is the new userbase.
Each gen takes around 5-7 years. That is enough for 13 year old kids to buy their own system. As long as those pesky users exist, Sony would coexist with pc market.

The danger however lies with generation behind them. The 8-13 year old kids with phones. The skipidi toilet generation has been consumed by mobile. Its why Sony is in this situation. New generation are being lost to mobille games and they are stuck with current gamers. Those gamers dont give a crap about consoles.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
We arent making the game. Our wallets do the talk for us, not us being loud in the forums. We did that with cyberpunk and other games. Yet those games sold alot.

As long as people buy those games, nothing will matter. Learned that lesson with mtx.

Huh??

I wrote a well thought out novel of a response and this is how you chose to show your appreciation for all my efforts?

Embarrassed Shame GIF

Name one PS5 only game not named Returnal whose PC port hasn't had enough technical issues to make Alex Battaglia complain? And all these are 6months to 2 years after initial release.

Gaiff

I think the difference would be significant. While it is true that console players and PC players are for the most part separate, there is still quite a bit of overlap. Now, whether this overlap accounts for 5, 10, 15, or any other percentage is anyone's guess, but I'm willing to bet it's big enough for Sony not to take the jump.

The thing is, there would be a trickle-down effect. Even assuming that this number is as low as 10%, on a console that sells 120M units, that's a whopping 12M potential losses to the PC market just in hardware sales. Among those 12M, how many would have paid for a PS+ subscription, bought accessories, and paid for other services? That 12M will quickly turn into billions of dollars in net losses. I also don't think it's an unreasonable percentage.

Then you also run into development problems. Sony would have to commit significantly more resources to get their games out on Day 1 on PC, further straining their studios and potentially negatively impacting the quality of the game. Adding PC to the mix presents a whole new set of challenges. Hell, even Nixxes ports despite being fairly late have their fair share of problems and those are guys who have been at that for years. The guys at Sony would be relatively inexperienced in handling PC ports.

My guess is they thoroughly studied the market and figured out the optimal strategy for their PC releases. Day 1 is off the cards until they're no longer bound by a console.

Gaiff

Name one PS5 only game not named Returnal whose PC port hasn't had enough technical issues to make Alex Battaglia complain? And all these are 6months to 2 years after initial release.
I think there are just three former PS5 exclusives on PC lol. 2/3 were fine for the most part. Not perfect, mind you but serviceable enough. The other was TLOU.

Still, I agree with the premise though. Adding a PC version to the mix would make the work much harder. Even an experienced studio like Nixxes has some trouble and they have the benefit of porting games that are highly polished with several patches along with their past experience.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

I think the difference would be significant. While it is true that console players and PC players are for the most part separate, there is still quite a bit of overlap. Now, whether this overlap accounts for 5, 10, 15, or any other percentage is anyone's guess, but I'm willing to bet it's big enough for Sony not to take the jump.

The thing is, there would be a trickle-down effect. Even assuming that this number is as low as 10%, on a console that sells 120M units, that's a whopping 12M potential losses to the PC market just in hardware sales. Among those 12M, how many would have paid for a PS+ subscription, bought accessories, and paid for other services? That 12M will quickly turn into billions of dollars in net losses. I also don't think it's an unreasonable percentage.

Then you also run into development problems. Sony would have to commit significantly more resources to get their games out on Day 1 on PC, further straining their studios and potentially negatively impacting the quality of the game. Adding PC to the mix presents a whole new set of challenges. Hell, even Nixxes ports despite being fairly late have their fair share of problems and those are guys who have been at that for years. The guys at Sony would be relatively inexperienced in handling PC ports.

My guess is they thoroughly studied the market and figured out the optimal strategy for their PC releases. Day 1 is off the cards until they're no longer bound by a console.

Don't get me wrong. I don't beileve for a second that Sony will risk day one PC ports. That's a nice dream and I'd be all for it, but that's a bridge too far for Sony, I think. The overlap numbers are key and since neither of us have them so it's just a gut call and mine says it isn't very high. Whatever it is, I think only a fraction of those in that group would actually abandon PS consoles. Probably folks like me who really have little dedicated digital investment in the ecosystem. Now if you are right and PS took a 12 million member hit to the ecosystem then yeah, I'm with you, but I doubt it is that high. But again......just guesses.

I think you and ChiefDada ChiefDada make good points on the technical difficulties of day one ports as well. Another good reason why Sony won't do it.

onQ123

If you take away half of the userbase of just about any video games its going to drop down in ranking lol

The game is on 2 platforms of course PC was a big part of it there is only 2 parts 😂

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
sony will test one major singled player game same release days on PC to see if it explodes

I am known for indusdry predictions
Psybear.jpg

MikeM

Doesn’t work for single player games

HFW bombed on PC

Only makes sense for GaaS titles
Why do you think HFW was day 1 on PC?
It wasn't a day 1 game. Can't really compare it yet since they haven't tried that.
Truth.

Offset to that is the sheer volume of the PC userbase perhaps.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

My God of War Ragnarok remains uncompleted on my PS5. I guess I’ll resume playing it on PC

Gaiff

Offset to that is the sheer volume of the PC userbase perhaps.
Possibly but Sony would have to actually take the risk to assess this and they don't seem willing to. It's really a risk vs reward situation. Are those extra PC customers enough to offset what we'd lose by having our games Day 1 on PC? So far, it seems that the answer is no.

My God of War Ragnarok remains uncompleted on my PS5. I guess I’ll resume playing it on PC
Honestly, I might do that as well. I played Ragnarok after replaying 2018 on PC on my 2080 Ti at 3440x1440 at over 100fps with Reflex. Going back to 30-40fps at 1080p on an LCD for Ragnarok was quite a stark contrast. The game just felt too slow and unresponsive. I then went back to 2018 and played it on my 4090 at 165fps and 3440x1440 on an OLED monitor with the DLAA mod.

Yeah, the PS4 Pro experience doesn't quite measure up lol. I would need the PS5 Pro at the very least.

Killjoy-NL

That is dumb as a cow shit.

Xbox destroyed itself with that E3 showcase.

Pc is carrying them, because Xbox literally shat the bed in 2013. Them putting their games on PC day1 has nothing to do with their demise.

This is true if said brand has good games to offer. People don’t buy consoles to play shit games.

Exclusives are supposed to be flagship titles and among the best gaming has to offer. This hasn’t been the case for Xbox since 2011. People wouldn’t have bought more Xboxes to play trash games.
You guys are revisionists. We had people complaining about how bringing games to PC day 1 would make xbox consoles obsolete for years.
People are even literally saying that consoles are dying for that reason.

And obviously it's a bunch of reasons that all caused the downfall, like their games output, but the message has been "you don't need an Xbox" for years.

And if you don't think so, you can just look at any PS PC game thread where people keep saying that if Sony would just bring all their games to PC day 1, they won't need a Playstation console anymore.

Top Bottom