• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt McMuscles: Lost Planet 3 - What Happened?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Lost Planet 3 (ロスト プラネット 3, Rosuto Puranetto 3) is a third-person shooter action-adventure video game developed by Spark Unlimited and published by Capcom for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. The game is the prequel to Lost Planet: Extreme Condition and Lost Planet 2 and takes place on the same planet of E.D.N. III. The game takes a more story-driven narrative approach to the campaign similar to the first game. Unlike the previous games in the series, which were developed internally by Capcom, the game was developed externally by Spark Unlimited with Matt Sophos serving as game director, though series creator Kenji Oguro was still attached as franchise creative director.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
The biggest problem with Lost Planet 3 was that they made it very Westernized.

It was then made by a studio that put out average to horrible games, Spark Unlimited.

And what do I see, the protagonist was a doughy character.
lost-planet-3.jpg

About Lost planet I loved the first one a lot, the second I could never play it. I liked the cast of the first title, More Luka that was a great female character of Capcom.

It is the only Capcom game that uses the MT Framework in a good way in my opinion, I like the effect of fire and smoke.

It's a shame they don't release E.X. Troopers, I have it on PS3, but the problem is that it's only in Japanese.

I wish they would release it on Nintendo Switch with English subtitles.

I want to play Lost planet 2.

Another thing that makes Lost planet 2 special is the collaboration with Gears of War and Killzone as special guests on their consoles.

Both fit very well in the universe, although I prefer Killzone more, it fits well with the atmosphere of the game.

Last edited:
I didn't get into the first one but I had hours and hours of fun playing the coop in LP2. I remember being very disappointed seeing LP3 announced with a western studio at the helm. Handing it off to a western studio (like they did with DR) ultimately killed the franchise imo.

Heimdall_Xtreme

I didn't get into the first one but I had hours and hours of fun playing the coop in LP2. I remember being very disappointed seeing LP3 announced with a western studio at the helm. Handing it off to a western studio (like they did with DR) ultimately killed the franchise imo.
This, and not bringing EX-Troopers to America.

Thanks a lot Spark Unlimited :messenger_expressionless:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Yea I don't fully understand why they never localized it. It's one of those games that was perfect for a digital remaster on PS4.

The game is very beauty, but it's too Japanese for the western sector.🤷‍♂️

Even the main problem is the translation.

And the cutscenes have Japanese text as part of the art. So is to hard to replace the text.

The main reason why it was not released in other regions is the inability to replace the Japanese text, because it is inherent to the art of the game.

But I think it's Capcom's pretext.

If they were able to localize the Ace of Attorney games

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Japan is home to many games development teams in the industry, and there is no shortage of iconic franchises from there that includes but not limited to Resident Evil and Street Fighter among others. In addition to these well-known classics, the Japanese development studios have also actively dabbled in the middle market space with experimental IPs built on a relatively conservative budget. Some of these IPs would go on to become really big with subsequent entries, while others would fizzle out after lukewarm critical or commercial failure.

Falling into the latter category is a little franchise by the name of Lost Planet, which sought to combine third-person shooter action and Mecha brawls against the backdrop of a sci-fi dystopia. Over the course of less than a handful of entries and a handheld spin-off, the franchise faded into obscurity. This begs the question - what the hell actually happened to Lost Planet?

AlphaMale

I love Lost Planet 1 & 2!
The co-op fun I had playing Lost Planet 2 with friends was simply amazing. I really love the graphics and art style of the game.

RAIDEN1

Forget Lost Planet 3 what happened to Lost Planet full stop! Now this series needs a reboot more than a Last of Us ever did...

Jeeves

Saw this video the other day. I only played LP2 and really only played that as a multiplayer game, but man it was a great way to spend an evening if you had friends to play with. Even repeating missions was fun.

Looks like I didn't miss anything with LP3. I don't know why at some point a lot of Japanese publishers decided to discard the JP flair that gained them their audience in favor of imitating the bland style of western games.

LP1 was a flawed but really fun game SP game.

LP2 was a fucking masterpiece in game design but lacked a big cinematic narrative that I think annoyed many fans of the first game. On my first playthrough, I too was a little narked at the lack of main protagonist or recognisable characters, until you realise on subsequent playthroughs that the planet is the main character and the missions just provide different slices of the goings on between the world's various factions. The gameplay of LP2 was just pure bliss. Jumping into matchmade 4p coop was such a fun time. There really was and really hasn't been anything like it since.

LP3 on the other hand was a bastardised abortion of a few western-worshipping execs at Capcom that very nearly tanked the fucking company. Like DMC and all the other shite they farted out during that era, it never should have been made.

Part of what made LP great and so appealing to the already installed fanbase of western fans was that it was a franchise designed in accordance with very Japanese/Asian design sensibilities. Everything from the characters to the tech, weapon and mecha designs all felt very anime. And that was always and will always be fucking cool (contrary to the worthless opinions of the shitheads that took over the gaming press between 2010 and 2016).

Gamers who bought and played LP1 and 2 were not necessarily the same gamers who buy and play Gears of War. So to take a very unique, Asian-designed franchise like LP, and farm it out to some no-name wester dev who makes an insufferably bland, western-designed, infuriatingly generic sequel, was an absolute slap in the face and big fuck you to the fans of the first two games.

I don't care that some people enjoyed the story of LP3. It's just not LP to me. If they wanted to make a game about old man miner Jim trying his best to brave the Candian winter to make food for his family, they should have just made that game and not tried to paste the Lost Plant title onto it.

As soon as I saw the very first trailer for LP3, I couldn't have been less interested in the title. And I'm the type of gamer that likes to give even the most dubious titles a try. I just draw the line at cheap cash in trying to parade as a new entry to a beloved franchise.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Only played the demo of LP1.

Graphics were good and smooth. Good setting and insect robots. Didn't care for the timer health mechanic and you had to use shoulder buttons to turn 90 degrees. Not a fan of third person shooters either.

Was one of those games I'd be on the fringe to buy in the bargain bin, but didn't bother.

Lost Planet 2 was fucking awesome. One of my favorite MP games of that gen. There's a boss that's so huge you jump into its mouth and kill it from the inside out, sliding through like its digestive track and shit. It was wild.

SkylineRKR

I heard 3 was kind of underrated but never bothered to try it out. Might do some day on Premium. But I didn't like the Lost Planet saga in general, sorry.

Like many others I was all over the LP1 demo way back on 360 launch period. But the full game kind of bored me to tears. The knockdowns, the health mechanic and the sort of clunky gameplay didn't resonate well with me. LP2 was a pure co-op shooter that came out when Capcom was all about co-op with RE5. I did buy it on sale eventually but I sort of zoned out while playing it. It lacked soul, something the first game had at least.

Saw this video the other day. I only played LP2 and really only played that as a multiplayer game, but man it was a great way to spend an evening if you had friends to play with. Even repeating missions was fun.

Looks like I didn't miss anything with LP3. I don't know why at some point a lot of Japanese publishers decided to discard the JP flair that gained them their audience in favor of imitating the bland style of western games.

This strategy was conceived by Inafune. Japan console market was in a bind when the 360 and PS3 came out, consoles moved towards High definition tech and online play. Which was a forte of western studios. Games like Gears of War and Call of Duty reigned. Capcom went into this direction, first with RE5 and LP2 banking heavily on co-op and later with western studios. And ironically, their most succesful and highest rated games were done in-house and were very Japanese in design. Like LP1, DMC4, Dead Rising 1. Not to mention they weren't heavily focused on multiplayer. They should've never changed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom