• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maybe "Lost in Translation" BUT USB storage coming for Wii?

http://www.excite.co.jp/world/engli....esol.co.jp/index_ja.html&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2

The Esol product adopts it for unredeemable type game machine "Wii™" of Nintendo.

Esol Ltd. (The headquarters: Tokyo Nakano Ward and President and Representative Director: Tsutomu Sawada and Esol henceforth) announces that the Esol product is adopted for "Wii™" of Nintendo Ltd.. The adopted Esol product is FAT filesystem "PrFILE2", and USB host stack "PrUSB/Host".

The adopted Esol product bears a part of a basic function of the main body of Wii. PrFILE2 is offering the file data management function to read and write data to media such as the SD memory cards inserted in the SD card slot. Moreover, a part of function is adopted for Wii as for PrUSB/Host.

Esol Ltd. (The headquarters: Tokyo Nakano Ward and President and Representative Director: Tsutomu Sawada and Esol henceforth) announces that the Esol product is adopted for "Wii™" of Nintendo Ltd.. The adopted Esol product is FAT filesystem "PrFILE2", and USB host stack "PrUSB/Host".

「When Wii of Nintendo Ltd. is developed, I think it is honored for Esol to be able play the part. The factor that the Esol product was able to be adopted is thought that it is because it was possible to evaluate it to results and it in a lot of digital consumer products for proven high reliability and functionality. In the future, we will provide technical service that strongly supports everybody of a better, excellent product and developer aiming at the built-in software development. 」

About PrFILE2
PrFILE2 is FAT filesystem that supports FAT12/16/32 and VFAT. It has the structure that can correspond to a peculiar customizing demand to the application flexibly and promptly. Moreover, indispensable a lot of functions to digital home appliance in the future like the function etc. to suppress the destruction of the filesystem by Nusa of a high-speed rear seek function, the power supply determination, and media of the file pointer to the minimum are installed. PrFILE2 collects abundant media drivers including CompactFlash and the SD card.

About PrUSB/Host
PrUSB/Host is USB host side in accordance with USB1.1 and 2.0(Full Speed/High Speed) specifications to mount the USB host function on the embedded system stack. It is possible to communicate directly with the USB device equipment by building in PrUSB/Host without PC. A mass device and the digital camera etc. of the USB flash memory etc. can be handled as external storage by additionally handling the Mass Storage class driver of the option.

Krowley

ok... does this mean that we're getting a firmware update that will let us plug in an external hdd?

Or... does this mean the functionality is already there, just waiting to be unlocked?

Or neither one?

Pretty confusing to get a press release like that out of the blue

Krowley

AlternativeUlster said:
I know what a USB is. I am saying 512MB is like over a thousand NES games. Do we really need much more space?

demos and original game downloads... maybr even games from disc based systems like saturn

spwolf

AlternativeUlster said:
I know what a USB is. I am saying 512MB is like over a thousand NES games. Do we really need much more space?

of course not, if all you will do is play VC... you do need big bank account though for thousand NES games :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
USB on the go suggests more a 'get photos off your camera without having to take the memory card out' than 'access loads of movies off your USB HDD'.

Icarus

AlternativeUlster said:

Only if you want to download and play games that are of the current age, not from 20 years ago.

G4life98

AlternativeUlster said:

yes, oh god yes...if they ever really start posting trailers, demos, original games and addtional content for existing games...that 512 will be a pain in the ass.

as a user of both psn and marketplace, let me tell you that downloading free stuff is awesome and there is never enough space. :D

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
G4life98 said:
as a user of both psn and marketplace, let me tell you that downloading free stuff is awesome and there is never enough space. :D

But this is Nintendo, its not going to be free.

P.s. I was just joking about the 512MB guys. I really do wish it was a GB so I can hold 2,000 NES games.

Evlar

Banned
I don't think this necessarily means anything other than that yes, the Wii does have firmware to support SOME kind of functionality on those USB ports.

Top Bottom