• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U owners - what USB storage are you using?

Zing

Banned
I don't like how Nintendo forces the game saves to be on the same drive as the game. It would great if the save data could be on the internal drive, with game data on external.

Cruxist

Rocking an old (2008ish? I know it was when I was in college) Western Digital 120 gig. I don't have a ton of digital games, but this is quiet and powered by a Y cable.

I am surprised I wasn't the only one; I use an old laptop 2.5" drive (120GB) plugged in to a cheap enclosure I bought from China. Works really well, no complaints.

I am using a Y cable as well.

I expected most to be using some sort of Flash Drive or something more commercial.

They advise not using flash storage... never knew that. I wonder why... I am using a 32GB Class 10 SD card (had a 64GB in there but it was too big). I still have a little bit of space left on my console so I doubt I'll ever need more than an extra 32GB at this point in the systems life. I prefer buying physical games anyway.

delaneya

They advise not using flash storage... never knew that. I wonder why... I am using a 32GB Class 10 SD card (had a 64GB in there but it was too big). I still have a little bit of space left on my console so I doubt I'll ever need more than an extra 32GB at this point in the systems life. I prefer buying physical games anyway.

If i was Nintendo the only reason I would not recommend it is because It never went though testing with SSD's in mind. Its the same reason why there is a list of recommended externals, while others may/will work there cant guarantee it

Related Question.

I plan to take out my 250 GB PS3 hard drive and put it in an enclosure. That's fine.

I plan to replace it with a 1tb one. Is Western Digital or Toshiba better? Is there any reason to get a 7200 over 5400 RPM? Thanks.

Are there any risks associated with using the Y-cable?

Short answer: no.
Long answer: it depends on your drive. If it requires a sustained peak power supply in excess of 5W (+/- 0.25W), the maximum the Y-cable solution guarantees to provide, you're at some point underpowering the drive and overloading the USB ports. This could cause stability issues, filesystem corruption, or permanent damage to the drive.

Now, using a portable external drive designed for bus power, such as WD's My Passport series, is perfectly safe. Slapping whatever desktop drive you have laying around into a USB enclosure, especially if it's a high-velocity drive, might not be. Always check the power requirements of the drive, or use ample wall power if possible.

ibrahima

Banned
I chucked an SSD in my MacBook Pro and stuffed the old 320GB hard drive in a USB caddy with a y cable. No problems, bit overkill though!

M3d10n

For the past year, I've used a 2.5" drive that I bought in 2008. It's connected with a Y-USB cable and *touch wood* it hasn't failed me yet.

Same here. Old-ass 2008 USB 2.0 160GB drive that came with an Y cable (pretty much required if I plug it into a HUB). No problem so far, except that the Wii U OS becomes very sluggish while downloading games.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I keep a 64GB Sandisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 flash drive plugged in, didn't want a giant external drive hanging onto my Wii U.
61EvwZuZMuL._SY355_.jpg
Likewise. Only mine is a
rxMcjOWm.jpg
with some extra tooling for an ultra-slim profile.

Also using a USB flash drive. Don't use a super cheap one (with slow writes) and you'll be fine. Any medium tier USB3 flash drive should work well.

To address some other opinions in this thread: USB flash drives don't need more power than USB specs, and also the Wii U does not see a difference between a hard drive or a thumb drive.

I keep a 64GB Sandisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 flash drive plugged in, didn't want a giant external drive hanging onto my Wii U.
61EvwZuZMuL._SY355_.jpg

I used to have a flash drive plugged in the back of my Wii U, but I'm much happier with a 1tb 2.5" HDD. I never have to worry about storage-space, it's been just as reliable and will likely last at least as long. It's still so quiet I can't really hear it over the Wii U, and because it's so small and my console is in a shelf under the TV, it's not particularly visually obstructive even if it's black and my Wii U is white. Likely due to it falling into shadow and matching the surrounding black boxes (satellite-tv, amp, Xbone).

Persona7

Banned
I forgot the exact model but I am using one of those really fast Kingston USB flash drives and it works perfectly so far. I also bought one for my 360 and it is working great there too.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I forgot the exact model but I am using one of those really fast Kingston USB flash drives and it works perfectly so far. I also bought one for my 360 and it is working great there too.
I use to use kingston usb drivers ('data traveller') almost exclusively, till last year when I noticed that the new models were effectively the slowest usb drives I had ever measured. So watch out with those kingstons!

I'm using an 8-gigabyte flash drive right now.

It's a temporary solution because I have a basic model. Will definitely buy an actual hard drive when I get a job.

Nilaul

I use to use kingston usb drivers ('data traveller') almost exclusively, till last year when I noticed that the new models were effectively the slowest usb drives I had ever measured. So watch out with those kingstons!
But how fast does the drive actually needs to be?

Effect

I have a 500GB Seagate hard drive connected by a y-cable. Had it since Christmas the year the Wii U launched in the US.

Sojiro

I just picked this up a few days ago.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00834SJS0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I didn't want to mess with the Y cable since I have a USB ethernet in the back of my Wii U, so having a powered drive was a priority to me. 2 TB seems a good bit bigger than I will need, (I mostly purchase physical games) but I was way past the point of fitting all of my games on the laughable amount of storage you're given (I have a 32 GB model), also the 1TB costs more lol. Happy with it so far, but i've only had it for a week.

I was using an old HD (with an external source) I had for Wii homebrews, but I was finishing Captain Toad and it died on me and I lost all my progress. :C

Since then, I study buying a new one but I just can't easily find the Y-cable here in my country.

KDR_11k

CnMemory Airy USB 2.0 HDD, 2TB. Even with the way NoE has been pushing digital (e.g. buy Wonderful 101 digital, get 30% off Pikmin 3) resulting in the majority of my games being digital I've still got plenty of room to go (about 1.8TB actually). Considering how long it took to fill even the 500GB HDD on my PS3 with a constant PS+ bombardement I don't think this will EVER fill up.

Hm, this is the first time I've checked storage sizes on my Wii U, apparently Warriors Orochi 3 is only 15 GB, not 22GB like the download screen claimed. Odd, maybe something shrunk it afterwards because I could swear that I had almost no space left after installing it initially.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I bought a cheap WD passport 320GB. It's more than enough for my usage, since I buy most retail games physical, except those with high replay value like MK and Smash

pestul

I've been using a 'BUFFALO MiniStation Stealth 500GB' with Y-Cable for almost 2yrs now and it's been great. No problems so far. I think it's a WD HDD inside the enclosure. It isn't manufactured anymore though.

If I had to guess, it would be due to a lack of garbage collection (TRIM) support built into the system. Without this, an older flash drive's performance and lifespan can take a substantial hit with the write cycles. That being said, I believe modern SSDs have this included in its internal hardware (the memory controllers), so this isn't nearly as big an issue as it used to be.

Dalek

I just put an old 1TB Desktop drive into an enclosure. It's powered-but it's pretty loud next to the wii U. Should I be concerned and just spring for a new one?

Roto13

I am surprised I wasn't the only one; I use an old laptop 2.5" drive (120GB) plugged in to a cheap enclosure I bought from China. Works really well, no complaints.

I am using a Y cable as well.

I expected most to be using some sort of Flash Drive or something more commercial.

That's what I'm doing. Except mine is 300GB, which is way too big. Going to replace it with the drive from my old PS3 and use the 300GB one for other stuff.

Pokemaniac

I'm using a 1.5 TB Western Digital My Book. Had to disable spinning down when idle, but other than that, it's served me well.

ecosse_011172

I'm using a Patriot Supersonic Rage XT 32GB USB Key, no problems.
I need to buy a bigger USB key but I'm wondering if I need such a fast one....

Top Bottom