• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create 12/6 - 12/12 GC sales SOAR!!

jarrod

Banned
Galian Beast said:
Jarrod the PSTwo (which does not exist) and the PS2 are sold at the same price.
You still need glasses. It says "pstwo" right on the box.

Galian Beast said:
I'm not 100% sure but I believe the PSP value pack is sold in addition to the PSP. So I don't think there is a difference in actual packaging.
I thought Jonnyram mentioned that most shipped were value packs actually? Can someone confirm this?

Link316

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Interesting. Does seem strange that Mario Party 6 could be the cause. As has been pointed out, Mario Party 6 sold under 40K here. Did half those purchases really go to people who needed to have a GameCube go along with it?

I blame the rise in GC sales on the holiday effect, I don't think it has to do with MP6 cause it was released a few weeks ago and GC sales remained at 5K

Galian Beast said:
? What does that have to do with what you quoted?
You seemed to be saying that we can tell something about the DS's numbers because they aren't being artificially lowered due to lack of supply. I'm saying that if they're only shipping about 200K per week, it doesn't seem possible that they could be much higher than what they are here.

jarrod

Banned
Galian Beast said:
My point was that the PSP's popularity and demand have yet to be tested, where as the DS' most certainly has.
Actually, DS supply can't seem to meet demand either. Limiting supply to drive demand and accelerate appeal/hype is a tactic used by both Sony & Nintendo before aslo.

lexi

Banned
I think it's anecdotal evidence time!

I returned my other DS earlier today (brother is pouring all his money into WoW), before I even got out of the store it was sold.

jarrod said:
You still need glasses. It says "pstwo" right on the box.

I thought Jonnyram mentioned that most shipped were value packs actually? Can someone confirm this?

I must cause from the pictures of boxes, I have yet to see PSTwo, and on the system itself i've only seen PS2.

I'm saying that if they're only shipping about 200K per week, it doesn't seem possible that they could be much higher than what they are here.

My point was that the PSP's popularity and demand have yet to be tested, where as the DS' most certainly has.

From what I've heard Nintendo has only sold 80% of what they've shipped, and that the system can be easily found in japan. If that is the case the decrease in sales would mean that it isn't being hindered by availability but simply by demand. If it's still selling out, then it would be a completely different story.
Actually, DS supply can't seem to meet demand either. Limiting supply to drive demand and accelerate appeal/hype is a tactic used by both Sony & Nintendo before aslo.

It's a tactic people think companies use far more than they do. Companies limit supply to an extent, but they don't do it so much that it hurts profitability or their ability to compete.

jarrod

Banned
Galian Beast said:
I must cause from the pictures of boxes, I have yet to see PSTwo, and on the system itself i've only seen PS2.
Anihawk posted the picture before in response to you. Says "pstwo" in the lower right hand corner... if the search function was working I'd repost it for you.

Galian Beast said:
From what I've heard Nintendo has only sold 80% of what they've shipped, and that the system can be easily found in japan. If that is the case the decrease in sales would mean that it isn't being hindered by availability but simply by demand. If it's still selling out, then it would be a completely different story.
PSP's also only sold about 80% of it's shipment going by these figures though. See the flaw?

Also, isn't Nintendo only shipping like 250k each week until year end? That'd mean PSP and DS are roughly selling out the same amount (DS slightly better actually).

Galian Beast said:
I It's a tactic people think companies use far more than they do. Companies limit supply to an extent, but they don't do it so much that it hurts profitability or their ability to compete.
If Sony met demand with PSP it'd hurt profitability more given the upfront loss per unit and traditional handheld tie ratio (which PSP seems to be folowing). It's pretty easy to guess their gameplan here.

I wasn't going by the figures... So no... I don't see the flaw...

Selling out the same amount? I have no idea what you are talking about... I'm living in this week, what time period are you living in?

If Sony met demand with PSP it'd hurt profitability more given the upfront loss per unit and traditional handheld tie ratio (which PSP seems to be folowing). It's pretty easy to guess their gameplan here.

If you honestly believe that PSP is going to significantly change it's profit/price ratio in the next few months, then you're fooling yourself.

jarrod

Banned
Galian Beast said:
I wasn't going by the figures... So no... I don't see the flaw...

Selling out the same amount? I have no idea what you are talking about... I'm living in this week, what time period are you living in?
I live in the present, but I don't ignore the past. If Nintendo's only shipped 750k DS units to Japan, that's about 89% sell through cumulatively. Compared to Sony's 80% on 200k units... neither platform likely has nearly enough distribution and supply to meet demand, and neither likely will until sometime in 2005. Things are a bit worse for PSP though given the supply/demand situation, but then SCEI chose to focus on PStwo production over PSP.

Galian Beast said:
If you honestly believe that PSP is going to significantly change it's profit/price ratio in the next few months, then you're fooling yourself.
Hey, I'm just going by what Kutaragi's been saying.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Galian Beast said:

10051009.jpg

See that yellow thing in the bottom right corner (I don't know if you can see it)? It says TWO on it

I've seen the TWO, I simpy haven't heard or seen any PSTwo symbol on any product or in any announcement.

Hey, I'm just going by what Kutaragi's been saying.

Which would be?

I live in the present, but I don't ignore the past. If Nintendo's only shipped 750k DS units to Japan, that's about 89% sell through cumulatively. Compared to Sony's 80% on 200k units... neither platform likely has nearly enough distribution and supply to meet demand, and neither likely will until sometime in 2005. Things are a bit worse for PSP though given the supply/demand situation, but then SCEI chose to focus on PStwo production over PSP.

Sony didn't actually reach 200k units... and news agencies were saying the system sold out within hours. Other news agencies have said that the DS has not sold out. I am merely listening to reports which I find far more accurate than numbers which I know to be incomplete...

The GBA has been dropping in sales for some time now. Whether or not this has anything to do with the new systems, I doubt/don't know. Surely they don't help.

I believe GBA sales will dry up in North America next year too. With the software not selling it, the better hardware on the DS, and the release of a sony system... I don't see it continuing to sell. The fact that it dropped to 80 seemed like a last resort to me.

I don't really see sites selling the GBA new anymore. And if the value for new/preowned is the same for gba and gba sp, i guess they believe the gba is worth 50 bucks.

The fact that you can buy a regular gba for 30 bucks is hilarious at this point. Next year if the DS drops to 129.99 will the GBA SP will have to be 50 or something, or will they just stop selling it?

CrisKre

I believe GBA SP has a lot of time left to fire up retail, especially with the possibility of a magic 49.99 pricetag : /

CrisKre not to compare the succesful GBA with the dreamcast, but with more impressive systems out even 50 dollars can fail to sell things.

cvxfreak

Nintendo's third pillar card is playing out very well. Even with the plentiful amount of DS systems, people are still scooping up GBAs. It's been a very good week for them.

I hardly believe it has anything to do with the "3rd pillar card"

The GBA also sold well initially even though the SP was released. If sales of the GBA are strong in a year or two and the DS hasn't siphoned them, then ill believe it.

cvxfreak

Galian Beast said:
I hardly believe it has anything to do with the "3rd pillar card"

The GBA also sold well initially even though the SP was released. If sales of the GBA are strong in a year or two and the DS hasn't siphoned them, then ill believe it.

Yes, but the SP wasn't a brand new system - it was an upgrade. The DS is to the GBA as the N64 was to the SNES - but the difference between those is that Nintendo is keeping both on the market, and in the console case, the SNES would have reason to keep selling because the N64 doesn't play SNES games.

In other words, when Nintendo said GBA sales wouldn't really suffer to dead system status, they weren't kidding.

jarrod

Banned
Galian Beast said:
Which would be?
Once production gets up to speed, losses will drop dramatically. Which should be sometime next year.

Galian Beast said:
Sony didn't actually reach 200k units... and news agencies were saying the system sold out within hours. Other news agencies have said that the DS has not sold out. I am merely listening to reports which I find far more accurate than numbers which I know to be incomplete...
Sony didn't ship 200k to stores because some were sold direct via their own online store, but the launch supply is 200k none the less. Unless I'm mistaken?

The larger supply is, the less likely sell out is to occur. Distribution and regional variances ensure no product will sell out 100% really though, which is why you get the 80% PSP and 89% DS sell through in Japan. I'm not sure how you think individual first hand reports are more credible than comprehensive, established, respected polling outlets though. You're probably on your own with that one.

Galian Beast said:
CrisKre not to compare the succesful GBA with the dreamcast, but with more impressive systems out even 50 dollars can fail to sell things.
I dunno... look at PSone vs GameCube/Xbox in 2002. Most likely GBASP will continue outselling both DS and PSP well into 2006.

CrisKre

Also, we will see how the fact that this is the handheld market pans out. I trully believe casual buyers not looking for the latest tech and wanting cheaper prices will continue to support GBA SP for a long time to come. I do believe DS & PSP and SP are appealing to different target groups mostly.

If so--------------> Nintendo will continue to rank in the $$$$$$ for a long time to come. Win- Win situation for them, cards well played.

Once production gets up to speed, losses will drop dramatically. Which should be sometime next year.

Kutaragi said that mass production would bring quicker profitability, he didn't say that the PSP would magically decrease in cost of production overnight.

At the moment sony isn't making a lot of PSPs, because as we know they are trying to concentrate on the PS2s.

Sony is thinking about ramping up production on PSPs even now though. They have to make 3 million by the end of spring not including the numbers they will release by the end of the year which is slated to be 500k.

The difference in cost isn't going to be big between the systems made for spring for worldwide release, and the systems made now for japanese release. In 3 months sony is going to need to make 3 million units meaning 1 million per month or 250k per week.

Sony didn't ship 200k to stores because some were sold direct via their own online store, but the launch supply is 200k none the less. Unless I'm mistaken?

You are mistaken. Sony themselves said the number was something under 200k.

Sony would not provide a sales estimate, but game magazine publisher Enterbrain issued a report estimating Sony sold 166,017 units on Sunday, or about 86 percent of the 193,056 shipped, which it called a "strong start."

Sony sold 171,963 PSP consoles yesterday, Tokyo-based market researcher Media Create said in a faxed statement.

We know that not only is that number INCOMPLETE, but the fact is 100% sell through is physically improbable if not impossible.

They sold 89 percent according to those numbers though. Other numbers claim nintendo has reached 80%

CrisKre said:
Also, we will see how the fact that this is the handheld market pans out. I trully believe casual buyers not looking for the latest tech and wanting cheaper prices will continue to support GBA SP for a long time to come. I do believe DS & PSP and SP are appealing to different target groups mostly.

If so--------------> Nintendo will continue to rank in the $$$$$$ for a long time to come. Win- Win situation for them, cards well played.

The PSOne was not desperately dropping in price. It was strong at it's own price. And there was a larger difference in price when it came to buying the PS2.

If Nintendo/Sony meet expectations of sellingout their spring shipment numbers reaching 8 million, I'm pretty sure we can say we have a new generation on our hands, and that the GBA will not be much a part of it.

Moegames

Banned
Unison said:
In Japan, Xbox costs like $180 and comes w/ Blinx 2 / PGR 2 / Halo / Top Spin / DVD Kit / Xbox Live.

Japan refuses to buy it, no matter what.

Because half of those japanese punks hold a grudge towards american products still lol.. go figure :lol

jarrod

Banned
Galian Beast said:
Kutaragi said that mass production would bring quicker profitability, he didn't say that the PSP would magically decrease in cost of production overnight.

At the moment sony isn't making a lot of PSPs, because as we know they are trying to concentrate on the PS2s.

Sony is thinking about ramping up production on PSPs even now though. They have to make 3 million by the end of spring not including the numbers they will release by the end of the year which is slated to be 500k.

The difference in cost isn't going to be big between the systems made for spring for worldwide release, and the systems made now for japanese release. In 3 months sony is going to need to make 3 million units meaning 1 million per month or 250k per week.
Economies of scale can make dramatic differences even at these low quantities. A PSP produced in November will most certainly be significantly more expensive than those produced next March. If Sony's eating a a $100-300 loss per unit next March, like the suppossedly are now according to some, then I fear for whoever is forced to cook the books over that one.

Galian Beast said:
You are mistaken. Sony themselves said the number was something under 200k.

We know that not only is that number INCOMPLETE, but the fact is 100% sell through is physically improbable if not impossible.

They sold 89 percent according to those numbers though. Other numbers claim nintendo has reached 80%
Those numbers actually show 86-89%. Still in line with DS figures though... I'm not really seeing the problem here?

Also have a source for the 80% Nintendo figure? I assume that's current?

CrisKre

We have, as of yet, no proof that Nintendo DS is percieved as the next generation of nintendo's handhelds. That is nintendo's plan all along: to diferentiate de Gameboy brand from the NDS. That way they have a product to compete with PSP (which they hope people don't see as competeng with GBA but with NDS), while continue selling Sps and in a couple/few years release GB Next . On the other hand, in the case you mention this other sistem was caled PLAYSTATION "2" and hence was instantly percieved as the successorof PSone.

Will it work? Don't know, but it just might. The Nds is IMO different enough to appeal to other people ( but then again it does play GBA games :/ ). I'll wait and see.

jarrod

Banned
Galian Beast said:
The PSOne was not desperately dropping in price. It was strong at it's own price. And there was a larger difference in price when it came to buying the PS2.
Er... all that also applies to GBA. There's been no desperate price drops or weak market for it either... the PSone situation is very comparable actually.

Galian Beast said:
If Nintendo/Sony meet expectations of sellingout their spring shipment numbers reaching 8 million, I'm pretty sure we can say we have a new generation on our hands, and that the GBA will not be much a part of it.
Expcept that GBA will sell more than 8 million over the same period. Hell, they'll sell 4-5 million in the US alone from Novemeber to March... really, it cute seeing you try your hardest to downplay Nintendo's one area of real sucess, but the numbers simply contradict your ideas. Stick to ragging on GameCube of that's your intention, you're floudering with this GBA nonsense.

jarrod said:
Economies of scale can make dramatic differences even at these low quantities. A PSP produced in November will most certainly be significantly more expensive than those produced next March. If Sony's eating a a $100-300 loss per unit next March, like the suppossedly are now according to some, then I fear for whoever is forced to cook the books over that one.

Those numbers actually show 86-89%. Still in line with DS figures though... I'm not really seeing the problem here?

Also have a source for the 80% Nintendo figure? I assume that's current?

I hope it's not the same people who said the psp was going to be 500 dollars...?

I'm looking for the 80% source right now.
It is current, it claims that 80% has sold, where as nintendo says an additional 10% are in stores awaiting to be picked up by preorderers... which i seriously doubt.

Duckhuntdog said:
Is it me, or does the DS look to be cutting into GBASP sales? That SP number seems really low for this time of year.
Probably. But given that this is 1-3 weeks from the launch of two new systems and that 2003 was the GBA SP's first Christmas, it's hard to determine which factors are causing what changes, and how long the effects will last.

What were GBA's sales for the nearest week in previous years, though? I keep close track of NPD numbers but haven't for Japanese numbers in a long time.

jarrod said:
Er... all that also applies to GBA. There's been no desperate price drops or weak market for it either... the PSone situation is very comparable actually.

Expcept that GBA will sell more than 8 million over the same period. Hell, they'll sell 4-5 million in the US alone from Novemeber to March... really, it cute seeing you try your hardest to downplay Nintendo's one area of real sucess, but the numbers simply contradict your ideas. Stick to ragging on GameCube of that's your intention, you're floudering with this GBA nonsense.

The GBA SP dropped to 99.99 to 79.99 and the original system dropped from 69.99 to being only being sold used 29.99...

Even if the GBA DID manage to sell 8 million between now and march, which I seriously doubt... you have to remember the fact that it is in a different part of its product life cycle.

The super nintendo continued far beyond the playstation's 1994 launch, as did the nes before the genesis... my point is that this would clearly mark the start of a new generation, which i believe it will. Look at the GBA sales in japan. A little over 2 million units. My guess is that next year it gets something around 1.2 million. While if the PSP sells according to sony itll sell 1 million by the end of spring..., and the ds even larger expectations.

Jarrod, you're a fanboy til the end, im not downplaying anything.

jarrod

Banned
Galian Beast said:
I hope it's not the same people who said the psp was going to be 500 dollars...?
No, it's not Mr Bonnell.

Galian Beast said:
I'm looking for the 80% source right now.
It is current, it claims that 80% has sold, where as nintendo says an additional 10% are in stores awaiting to be picked up by preorderers... which i seriously doubt.
I meant current as in including ltd sales. After all, you're "living in this week" or something.

Nintendo sold 90% of it's shipments in North America and 89% of their shipments in Japan, while Sony only sold 80% even with limited supplies (supposedly they are making PS2s, but isn't there a shortage of them too? Makes me wonder). I think it is due to the fact Sony's systems are notorousily defective and consumers don't trust them.

av-669.gif

jarrod said:
No, it's not Mr Bonnell.

I meant current as in including ltd sales. After all, you're "living in this week" or something.

It was posted today, I simply forget where I read it, as Ive read a lot of news todaay (ive slept through thursday). I can't find it right now, so I'll look for it tomorrow. (I've got to go to work in six and a half hours, and I would like to read and get something to eat before i do).

I hope this whole arguement becomes moot when Pokemon pushes the DS to an unbeatable lead.

Pokemon is a very popular game, but does only decently on consoles, lets see how those console games will fair in the portable world shall we?

Once the PSP's userbase grows and it becomes mainstream, games will spread themselves from each other. Who is to say a popular game doesn't spark some unthough of interest. Especially since it happens each generation...

Games at the level of resident evil do really well to. When you combine even these franchises you reach a result far more impressive than pokemon. Resident evil, gran turismo, socom, tekken, ridge racer, madden e.t.c.

I think i stayed on a little too long i might be back later today, but for now cya later.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
CVXFREAK said:
I hope this whole arguement becomes moot when Pokemon pushes the DS to an unbeatable lead.

Some would argue the DS is cruising to an unbeatable lead without pokemon...

paul777

Banned
Pokemon is a very popular game, but does only decently on consoles, lets see how those console games will fair in the portable world shall we?

Once the PSP's userbase grows and it becomes mainstream, games will spread themselves from each other. Who is to say a popular game doesn't spark some unthough of interest. Especially since it happens each generation...

Games at the level of resident evil do really well to. When you combine even these franchises you reach a result far more impressive than pokemon. Resident evil, gran turismo, socom, tekken, ridge racer, madden e.t.c.

I think i stayed on a little too long i might be back later today, but for now cya later.

Games will spread themselves from each other? Spark some unthough of interest? What in god's name are you trying to say here?

MetaKnight said:
Nintendo sold 90% of it's shipments in North America and 89% of their shipments in Japan, while Sony only sold 80% even with limited supplies (supposedly they are making PS2s, but isn't there a shortage of them too? Makes me wonder). I think it is due to the fact Sony's systems are notorousily defective and consumers don't trust them.

av-669.gif
Probably any percentage difference is largely attributable to exports. Plenty of people from across the world are getting PSPs from Japan, but the biggest reason to get a DS from Japan would be if you passionately hate Metroid Prime.

Also, whenever anyone posts an image from OA I just get a generic OA image. Maybe it's different for those logged in there, or maybe it's just because it's already in your cache.

cvxfreak

Galian Beast said:

Pokemon is an established handheld icon, not a console icon. If you haven't heard about it, the games are Pokemon Diamond and Pearl. Just like the GBA games.

paul777 said:
Games will spread themselves from each other? Spark some unthough of interest? What in god's name are you trying to say here?
Worded poorly I believe he's just saying that once portable gamers get a taste of some of these previously console-only (or at least DECENT on consoles only) games, they could become a collective force to rival Pokémon.

"Games will spread themselves from each other" is a great line, though.

jarrod

Banned
Galian Beast said:
The GBA SP dropped to 99.99 to 79.99 and the original system dropped from 69.99 to being only being sold used 29.99...
Erm, what's that matter? Nintendo's just phasing out the old model, they've stopped production and are bleeding supply, just like Sony with the original PS2. GBASP saw it's first price drop after 18 months on market... this is desperate? It was already outselling all other game hardware anyway (PS2 included)... I just don't see the desperation you insist was the driving force here?

Galian Beast said:
Even if the GBA DID manage to sell 8 million between now and march, which I seriously doubt... you have to remember the fact that it is in a different part of its product life cycle.
Regardless, it's not going to be the instant dropoff you've hinted at. Yes DS and PSP will eventually overtake GBA.... but that won't be happening until sometime in 2006 most likely.

Galian Beast said:
The super nintendo continued far beyond the playstation's 1994 launch, as did the nes before the genesis... my point is that this would clearly mark the start of a new generation, which i believe it will.
Sure... but FC/NES lasted 6 years after MD/Genesis launched and SFC/SNES also 6 years after PS1. Can we expect a similar lifecycle for GBA then?

Galian Beast said:
Look at the GBA sales in japan. A little over 2 million units. My guess is that next year it gets something around 1.2 million. While if the PSP sells according to sony itll sell 1 million by the end of spring..., and the ds even larger expectations.
Japan's just one market though. Look at America where GBA sometimes outsells all other platforms combined, or China where GBASP is just debuting to a giant market base. Macro, not micro. Also, GBA will have sold well past 2 million in Japan by the time the year ends.... it was 2,375,356 on November 28th, you can expect an additional 200-250k for December.

Galian Beast said:
Jarrod, you're a fanboy til the end, im not downplaying anything.
You're trying, it's just not successful.

Galian Beast said:
It was posted today, I simply forget where I read it, as Ive read a lot of news todaay (ive slept through thursday). I can't find it right now, so I'll look for it tomorrow. (I've got to go to work in six and a half hours, and I would like to read and get something to eat before i do).
Convienent.

jarrod

Banned
Galian Beast said:
Unless they magically become even more popular on handhelds, it likely won't matter. Even though it's leveled out this generation, Pokemon is still the most popular game worldwide. Pokemon RuSa has outsold every "Resident evil, gran turismo, socom, tekken, ridge racer, madden e.t.c" this generation too. SCEI needs to get off their ass a develop a decent counter if they ever hope to lead in the handheld space.

Pimpwerx

The DS and GBA won't coexist side by side. The DS has to take over for the GBA. Seriously, I don't know how Nintendo could possibly get away with that when Sega was eaten alive for doing the same thing. They released some fairly diverse products with the 32X and then the Saturn, but it was all viewed as generating from the same line, so it bit them in the ass. I don't see how anyone could see the DS and not see yet another Gameboy.

I don't think the DS will eat into GBA sales, but then again, I don't think the DS has much time on the clock, period. I see it falling by the wayside, and the GBA sales continuing on their current pace for at least the next year. Can the PSP eat into the GBA's monthly marketshare by late 2005? That's the question. It can't compete directly in sales, just no way. But if by next holiday season, the PSP can match the GBA in sales, that will signify the turning of the tide IMO. Beating the DS outright isn't really an option, it's what has to happen, otherwise the system is a failure. PEACE.

Hardknock

Banned
GDJustin said:
Galian, I'm not sure what agenda your pushing here, but I made it really clear that the DS outsold the PSP during its launch week BECAUSE of availability alone. If we lived in some magical hypothetical world were 50M units of each were available I think the PSP would outsell the DS... but as it is, Nintendo is manufacturing and shipping more DSs than Sony is PSPs. That means that until Sony catches up with their manuafacturing, the DS will continue to outsell the PSP, regardless of what actual consumer demand is.

The point was that they're going to be playing catch up through all of 2005 from the moment they're both widely available (feb or march most likely)

That is the only problem I have with your statement. There are no facts to back this up. And actually the sale through numbers for the PSP show otherwise. Regardless if they released 200k or 500k, there was only a 85% sell through. Nintendo's was over 90% sell through of 500k units. If the PSP was in such high demand their sell through would have most definitely showed it(especially with only releasing a measly 200k for launch.) The DS outselling it in it's second week is pretty insane, especially considering how high the media tries to hype the PSP up. Like I've stated earlier, the PSP is most definitely going to appeal more to the "hardcore" gamer, while the DS seems to stem more towards the "casual".

Hardknock

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Probably any percentage difference is largely attributable to exports. Plenty of people from across the world are getting PSPs from Japan, but the biggest reason to get a DS from Japan would be if you passionately hate Metroid Prime.

Also, whenever anyone posts an image from OA I just get a generic OA image. Maybe it's different for those logged in there, or maybe it's just because it's already in your cache.

"exports" are considered as "sell throughs" if I'm not mistaken, because most of them have to purchase the product directly from the stores there anyway. And even if they didn't, they surely could have sold off the few thousand that they bought with-in a week right??

Top Bottom