• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create 12/6 - 12/12 GC sales SOAR!!

Saying the DS pokemons are not gunna sell huge amounts is like saying the same thing with gta 4 and ps3, just stupid. Im guessing they are gunna use the wireless linking as well, which could arguably make it more popular.

Pimpwerx said:
The DS and GBA won't coexist side by side. The DS has to take over for the GBA. Seriously, I don't know how Nintendo could possibly get away with that when Sega was eaten alive for doing the same thing. They released some fairly diverse products with the 32X and then the Saturn, but it was all viewed as generating from the same line, so it bit them in the ass. I don't see how anyone could see the DS and not see yet another Gameboy.
32X was just another audio-visual upgrade. DS has a lot of other unique features not found in plainer portables like GBA or PSP.

Hardknock said:
"exports" are considered as "sell throughs" if I'm not mistaken, because most of them have to purchase the product directly from the stores there anyway. And even if they didn't, they surely could have sold off the few thousand that they bought with-in a week right??
*shrug* I've heard others in recent days mention that reasoning, so I accepted it on face value. Whether Media Create tracks sales from the Play Asias and Lik Sangs of the world I really do not know.

SantaC

wtf? The GC sales has hovered around 5K in japan for some time now. Suddenly a jump to 25K is certainly nice!

Maybe fire emblem impressed them :D

Hardknock

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
wtf? The GC sales has hovered around 5K in japan for some time now. Suddenly a jump to 25K is certainly nice!

Maybe fire emblem impressed them :D

Maybe a lot of very happy DS owners decided to finally give the GC a chance? :D

cvxfreak

For reference, here are last year's charts:

platform title publisher this week total
1 PS2 Biohazard Outbreak Capcom 227,100 227,100
2 GBA Rockman EXE 4 Tournament Blue Moon Capcom 132,300 132,300
3 PS2 One Piece Grand Battle! 3 Bandai 111,300 111,300
4 GBA Rockman EXE 4 Tournament Red Sun Capcom 105,200 105,200
5 PS2 Momotaro Dentetsu 12 Hudson 101,200 101,200
6 PS2 Gran Turismo 4 Prologue SCE 97,000 273,100
7 PS2 Minna no Golf 4 SCE 89,600 748,181
8 PS2 Z Gundam AEUG vs Titans Bandai 89,200 396,800
9 PS2 Ratchet & Clank 2 SCE 59,500 59,500
10 GC One Piece Grand Battle! 3 Bandai 55,600 55,600

platform this week last week 2003 total
1 PS2 116,400 105,500 2,645,500
2 GC 53,600 38,000 777,600
3 GBASP 51,900 40,400 2,046,700
4 GBA 9,500 5,800 1,128,900
5 XB 2,600 2,900 96,000
6 PS 400 510 62,700
7 SC 290 200 17,200

APerfectCircle said:
Saying the DS pokemons are not gunna sell huge amounts is like saying the same thing with gta 4 and ps3, just stupid. Im guessing they are gunna use the wireless linking as well, which could arguably make it more popular.
On the one hand, it is true that some franchises balloon in popularity then pop. Tomb Raider, Crash Bandicoot, and Resident Evil jumped off a cliff for instance. On the other hand Pokémon has been going for nearly 9 years now and still easily selling a million copies for non-major releases.

SantaCruZer said:
uh someone said earlier that the x-mas holidays wasn't that big in Japan. Not compared to US that is.
I don't know about Xmas itself, but sales definitely increase during this time of year. They increase and peak a few weeks later than in the west however, which I'm sure is why the US got the slightly earlier DS launch.

cvxfreak

JoshuaJSlone said:
On the one hand, it is true that some franchises balloon in popularity then pop. Tomb Raider, Crash Bandicoot, and Resident Evil jumped off a cliff for instance. On the other hand Pokémon has been going for nearly 9 years now and still easily selling a million copies for non-major releases.

Exactly.

If Pokemon Emerald's an indication, then Pokemon's popularity in Japan is still healthy. Diamond and Pearl will probably outsell DQ8, too.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Pokemon will be fine, but it's true that huge games from one generation won't necessarily be huge games the next. some, in fact plenty, seem like they'll be eternally big (Mario, Zelda, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy), but others aren't. Some of the biggest titles from last gen are now just good sellers (sometimes not even that), (as Josh mentioned) the likes of Crash Bandicoot, Tomb Raider, Wipeout etc.

I think GTA will still be big next gen, but who knows if it'll be once of the real big hitters anymore. When the SNES and Genesis were around, could anyone have predicted that the likes of Tomb Raider and Goldeneye would be the big games the next gen? Or during the PSX/N64 era, who knew Halo and the GTA series would be the biggest games around?

We're sort of straying off the topic here quite a lot, but nevermind.

G4life98

Mama Smurf said:
Pokemon will be fine, but it's true that huge games from one generation won't necessarily be huge games the next. some, in fact plenty, seem like they'll be eternally big (Mario, Zelda, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy), but others aren't. Some of the biggest titles from last gen are now just good sellers (sometimes not even that), (as Josh mentioned) the likes of Crash Bandicoot, Tomb Raider, Wipeout etc.

I think GTA will still be big next gen, but who knows if it'll be once of the real big hitters anymore. When the SNES and Genesis were around, could anyone have predicted that the likes of Tomb Raider and Goldeneye would be the big games the next gen? Or during the PSX/N64 era, who knew Halo and the GTA series would be the biggest games around?

We're sort of straying off the topic here quite a lot, but nevermind.

But the reason those franchises fell (in sales not pop-culture status) can be directly tied to the quality of the games being produced and its overall decline with each sequel.

In franchises like pokemon, ff, dq the quality of the games remain high and so do the sales.

-SRV-

Banned
Hey, I'm just going by what Kutaragi's been saying.

Which would be?

Pana had the quote and the spin-something about everything being made by sony so losses would drop rapidly and turn to profit on hardware. Where is he?

G4life98 said:
But the reason those franchises fell (in sales not pop-culture status) can be directly tied to the quality of the games being produced and its overall decline with each sequel.

In franchises like pokemon, ff, dq the quality of the games remain high and so do the sales.

What (s)he said. Also Mortal Kombat and Twisted Metal Black showed that with a little care it's also possible to resurrect a franchise (okay MKDA wasn't exactly world alighting quality but it was a significant jump up on the previous games).

Mama Smurf

G4life98 said:

I don't know if that's necessarily true. Certainly Tomb Raider's quality fell, but that wasn't just on the PS2, the quality was already going downhill fast on the PSX while sales stayed high. And Wipeout Fusion got good reviews pretty much across the board (I know some more hardcore fans don't like it for some reason, once again, haven't played it personally) yet its presence this gen is nothing compared to the last (I don't have sales numbers for it or its predecessors).

You're probably right on Crash, I've never played any of the games, ND developed or otherwise. A change of developer in that situation doesn't sound promising though.

I think the success of the Pokemon/ Final fantasy type games are more due to their abililty to keep attracting new fans. I was into pokemon a while, back, now my brother is, it keeps on going. While the crash bandicoot games rely on the same people buying who bought them last gen. I would be surprised if the pokemon DS games don't become the biggest selling software for the system.

Mama Smurf

I guess I've not been very clear that I'm talking as much about mindshare (is that the right word? Anyway, the perception for the big titles) as I am sales.

I think the success of the Pokemon/ Final fantasy type games are more due to their abililty to keep attracting new fans. I was into pokemon a while, back, now my brother is, it keeps on going. While the crash bandicoot games rely on the same people buying who bought them last gen. I would be surprised if the pokemon DS games don't become the biggest selling software for the system.

I'm a bit confused, what about Pokemon and FF do you believe gives them the ability to attract newer fans over games like Crash?

Mama Smurf said:
I'm a bit confused, what about Pokemon and FF do you believe gives them the ability to attract newer fans over games like Crash?
Pokémon is very popular with youngsters, so even if people get tired of it... there are new people. Still doesn't completely answer why it's lasted longer than a lot of kid crazes, but hey.

Final Fantasy is very different from installment to installment. Quite possible to love IX and hate X or vice-versa. Each is almost like an original title that shares many naming and menu conventions with previous FF games, so there's a chance to attract a new type of person with each game.

cvxfreak

Pokemon has lasted this long because it's a quality game for the people it aims to please. Kids find the game long, kids find the game fairly sophisticated and kids can trade with their friends.

And thus, kids continue to buy it.

Sho Nuff

Banned
lookingup1sk.jpg

there ya go

CVXFREAK said:
Exactly.

If Pokemon Emerald's an indication, then Pokemon's popularity in Japan is still healthy. Diamond and Pearl will probably outsell DQ8, too.

CVXFREAK, Pokemon sales continue to move in a downward spiral.

Red/Blue/Green in Japan - 8 million vs Silver/Gold - 6.91 million (pretty large decrease, but 3 versions vs 2)

Yellow - 2.16 vs Crystal 2.4 million (slight increase)

Silver/Gold - 6.91 million vs 4.46 million (large decrease)

Crystal - 2.14 million vs Emerald - 1.1 million (large decrease even when compared to Yellow)

Then the remakes combined sell to 2.3 million.

How strong is pokemon right now, and how strong will it be in 5 or so years?

Mama smurf... Mario is dying down extremely quickly... Although I am a huge mario fan (SMB1-3, SMW) Mario's popularity has more to do with being bundled with the original nes, and continued bundling throughout til the SNES. Had Sony bundled Jak and Daxter 1-3 or Ratchet and Clank 1-3 will all of the PS2s, you would see a similar effect. Zelda also has had a rough time lately. Majora's mask was a huge step down, being different with wind waker was a mistake. I don't even know if the new zelda will bring the series back to it's gloriously high numbers. The series has bombed like many other big franchises this generation.

There are pretty good reasons why these franchises aren't selling well. Majora's mask was a step down in many peoples eyes from Ocarina of Time, then Wind Waker was very much a slap in the fact to many people. Kingdom Hearts is in my opinion most likely the "new" zelda.

Crash Bandicoot is developed by a new development studio. Personally I never liked the series, but I love the Jak games.

Tomb Raider was on a downward spiral, and then recently the last game was a joke. Although I don't have the charts with me, I am pretty sure that TR sales were dropping.

Wipeout, I never knew was all that big.

Halo was already known to be a sure hit, as was GTA.

cvxfreak

Galian Beast said:
CVXFREAK, Pokemon sales continue to move in a downward spiral.

Red/Blue/Green in Japan - 8 million vs Silver/Gold - 6.91 million (pretty large decrease, but 3 versions vs 2)

Yellow - 2.16 vs Crystal 2.4 million (slight increase)

Silver/Gold - 6.91 million vs 4.46 million (large decrease)

Crystal - 2.14 million vs Emerald - 1.1 million (large decrease even when compared to Yellow)

Then the remakes combined sell to 2.3 million.

I know Pokemon sales aren't as high as they used to be, but the fact still stands that Ruby and Sapphire are the best selling games this generation. In all fairness, the Pokemon remakes outdid Dragon Quest V, which says a lot about the popularity of both series. And Emerald isn't done selling yet; not by a long shot. By the way, according to Media Create, Emerald is actually at 1.3 Million.

Perhaps it says that two high selling games can sometimes outsell one high selling game =/...

Or that the original games were more popular than DQ5...

P.S. Pokemon is down to less than 20k copies per week. It's not going to shift a large number of copies changing my view on it compared to other pokemon games and their respective success.

cvxfreak

Galian Beast said:
Perhaps it says that two high selling games can sometimes outsell one high selling game =/...

Or that the original games were more popular than DQ5...

P.S. Pokemon is down to less than 20k copies per week. It's not going to shift a large number of copies changing my view on it compared to other pokemon games and their respective success.

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/ipod_mini/d/20041215

11位「ポケットモンスター・エメラルド」(32000本/1193000本)

WHEN IT COMES TO INCORRECT FACTS THERE'S NO POWER GREATER THAN YOU

oxymoron intended

In one post you say the game is over 1.3 million, in the other you say it's selling over 30k copies, but under 1.2 million copies...

talk about contradictory.

You've always been good at owning yourself.

9 Pokemon Emerald Pokemon GBA RPG 26,000 1,160,000 November 29-Dec 5th (I assume it's weekly sales are lower now)

SantaC

Galian Beast said:
Then I guess you've been owned too...

I don't know what you are talking about here.

CVXFREAK said:
If Pokemon Emerald's an indication, then Pokemon's popularity in Japan is still healthy

He claimed that Pokemon's popularity is still healthy which is absolutley true. When you sell over 1 million copies you can't really talk about a downward spiral. Only in your anti-gba world it seems.

I don't knwo what you are talking about here.

Then I seriously suggest that you learn how to read.

He claimed that Pokemon's popularity is still healthy which is absolutley true. When you sell over 1 million copies you can't really talk about a down spiral.

Actually that isn't at all true.

1 million is not some magic number that eleviates anything/everything.

You have to take into account expectations, past history, and resources put into a game.

If a FF game were to sell just 1 million copies in Japan, Square Enix would deem it a failure. In fact I remember an interview where an employee said this.

The games used to sell MUCH better, even selling a million, still profiting... it doesn't matter. The lowering sales are showing a trend in which pokemon games are for the most part selling A LOT less, and if it were to continue to (which there is no reason to think it won't), then pokemon is clearly not healthy in sales.

It's like saying someone is healthy because the disease hasn't made it's way into ravaging their body... they are still sick...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Galian Beast said:
Then I seriously suggest that you learn how to read.

You'd be taken more seriously if you keep the snarky comments down a bit, ya know.

Actually that isn't at all true.

Actually, yes it is. Another million GBA cartridges sold is pure success.

1 million is not some magic number that eleviates anything/everything.

To most developers and even the media, 1 million is SO a magic number. I believe they call it 'going platinum'?

You have to take into account expectations, past history, and resources put into a game.

Resources? This is an "expansion" to Pokemon Ru/Sa. It, undoubtedly, takes Nintendo very few resources to recycle a pre-existing game engine and add a couple of new critters, dialogues, and maps to it. Oh yeah, and +1,000,000 sales.

If a FF game were to sell just 1 million copies in Japan, Square Enix would deem it a failure. In fact I remember an interview where an employee said this.

Didn't FFTA sell less than 1 million in Japan? I'm pretty sure Square was happy with the number. (I could be wrong.)

then pokemon is clearly not healthy in sales.

It may be a million less than the last expansion (though I don't think it's done selling yet), but it still broke a million. Pokemon is still a very healthy cash cow for Nintendo. And, there's always the chance that the new Pokemon games on the DS are going to invigorate sales quite a bit. You HAVE to realize that Pokemon Emerald is effectively the 5th Pokemon made exclusively for the GBA, it's also, consequently, the 5th Pokemon to use this particular game engine. No surprise it hasn't sold as well as the past four.

It's like saying someone is healthy because the disease hasn't made it's way into ravaging their body... they are still sick...

Wha?

You'd be taken more seriously if you keep the snarky comments down a bit, ya know.

I don't need you to take me seriously. My life doesn't depend on it or this message board.

Actually, yes it is. Another million GBA cartridges sold is pure success.

Profit today, does not equate to profit tomorrow. And thus does not speak on the health of a FRANCHISE compared to the success of a single title.

To most developers and even the media, 1 million is SO a magic number.

The Pokemon company isn't most developers, and even the media would see pokemon games selling a lot less as a fall from grace. If the next handheld pokemon games were to sell combined 1 million around the world, the media wouldn't give a whoop.
Resources? This is an "expansion" to Pokemon Ru/Sa. It, undoubtedly, takes Nintendo very few resources to recycle a pre-existing game engine and add a couple of new critters, dialogues, and maps to it. Oh yeah, and +1,000,000 sales.

Reading my friend, reading. I didn't say resources were a factor in this game's success, I simply said it was a factor that had to be taken into account before deciding a game was a success simply based on selling a million copies. Legend of Dragoon sold a million worldwide, what most would see as a huge success. But the advertising and development cost put into the game dwarfed the figure, and that is why we have no sequel.

Didn't FFTA sell less than 1 million in Japan? I'm pretty sure Square was happy with the number. (I could be wrong.)

I never heard expectations on FFTA, but i'll tell you this, it is not a main series FF game, and thus is completely unrelated.

It may be a million less than the last expansion (though I don't think it's done selling yet), but it still broke a million. Pokemon is still a very healthy cash cow for Nintendo. And, there's always the chance that the new Pokemon games on the DS are going to invigorate sales quite a bit. You HAVE to realize that Pokemon Emerald is effectively the 5th Pokemon made exclusively for the GBA, it's also, consequently, the 5th Pokemon to use this particular game engine. No surprise it hasn't sold as well as the past four.

All I'll say is there is also a chance that the DS could enhance the rate in which pokemon sales are dropping. See the gamecube and mario/zelda for more information.

Many people see things as Bad or Good... it's not that simple. A company doesn't need to be in the red to be in trouble, or doing badly for example. A game doesn't need to drop to 500k from 4 million to show signs of weakening...

How old are you, I really want to know...

Oh wait, that's not true...

I don't really care. I'm not here to get into your mind. Your existance means nothing to me. I don't post for you, or your friends. I live in a world beyond this message board, but it seems to me this is the extent to your life. It's a sad sad realization, reminds me of .hack//sign.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Galian Beast said:
I don't need you to take me seriously. My life doesn't depend on it or this message board.

I didn't say I'd take you seriously. No chance of that. I said you would be taken more seriously. As in, by others. Though, perhaps not. Most people like to be taken seriously when they embark upon what they think/hope is intelligent discourse.

Profit today, does not equate to profit tomorrow. And thus does not speak on the health of a FRANCHISE compared to the success of a single title.

Umm... Ok. I've already given you my main reason why Emerald isn't selling as well as Crystal or Yellow. I believe it is more oversaturation on the GBA, and less a case of spiraling sales.

The Pokemon company isn't most developers, and even the media would see pokemon games selling a lot less as a fall from grace. If the next handheld pokemon games were to sell combined 1 million around the world, the media wouldn't give a whoop.

Except the media isn't reporting this as a fall from grace. Only you are. Once again, expansions typically do not sell as many copies as the core game does. This has always been true, of Pokemon, of other RPGs, whatever. And, this IS the 5th time this same exact kind of Pokemon game hits this particular system.

Reading my friend, reading. I didn't say resources were a factor in this game's success, I simply said it was a factor that had to be taken into account before deciding a game was a success simply based on selling a million copies. Legend of Dragoon sold a million worldwide, what most would see as a huge success. But the advertising and development cost put into the game dwarfed the figure, and that is why we have no sequel.

My reading is just fine, thanks for the concern. We aren't talking about Legend of Dragoon. Just as Emerald couldn't have cost Nintendo a whole lot to produce, it surely wouldn't have cost them a lot to advertise either. Pokemon still has a very strong name among consumers. A bear whisper in the right place of a new Pokemon release would be enough to spark the inevitable stampede of customers. Legend of Dragoon, and its circumstances, are entirely irrelevant here.

I never heard expectations on FFTA, but i'll tell you this, it is not a main series FF game, and thus is completely unrelated.

Says you. In that case, Emerald is not a main series game, as it's just an expansion of the Ru/Sa games. Blah. It goes both ways, or not at all.

[quoteAll I'll say is there is also a chance that the DS could enhance the rate in which pokemon sales are dropping. See the gamecube and mario/zelda for more information.[/quote]

Depends entirely on how Nintendo handles Pokemon DS. More than likely, it'll be much more than just the Ru/Sa/FR/LG/Em engine again with better graphics and sound. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that the new Pokemon DS games would likely cause a huge and signficant spike in NDS system sales as well. Worldwide.

Many people see things as Bad or Good... it's not that simple. A company doesn't need to be in the red to be in trouble, or doing badly for example. A game doesn't need to drop to 500k from 4 million to show signs of weakening...

Not sure what you're trying to say here.

cvxfreak

Galian Beast said:
In one post you say the game is over 1.3 million, in the other you say it's selling over 30k copies, but under 1.2 million copies...

talk about contradictory.

You've always been good at owning yourself.

9 Pokemon Emerald Pokemon GBA RPG 26,000 1,160,000 November 29-Dec 5th (I assume it's weekly sales are lower now)

These aren't Media Create sales figures; they're Enterbrain/Famitsu figures.

Hence, there's no contradiction.

---And geez, you talk as if Pokemon Emerald's a horrible failure. For example, I don't remember FFX/FFX2 International, which were director's cuts that definitely cost more to make than Emerald, selling 1/2 the amount of Emerald. And this is just in Japan. Imagine another two million from the other regions.

Top Bottom