• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create (Feb 14-20) PSP IS...

Last years numbers

February 16 - 22, 2004
Game Boy Advance SP - 63,404
PlayStation 2 - 43,988
GameCube - 5,872
Game Boy Advance - 5,598
Xbox - 803
PSone - 471
Wonder Swan Crystal - 214

Jonnyram

sonycowboy said:
I was going to make a thread about that exact topic. I was wondering, now that we're a couple of months past, how people were using their PSP's and DS's.
Make a topic about it. It will be a good discussion... don't do it in here because it will fuel the arguments ;)

Sho Nuff

Banned
KeithFranklin said:
Last years numbers

February 16 - 22, 2004
Game Boy Advance SP - 63,404
PlayStation 2 - 43,988
GameCube - 5,872
Game Boy Advance - 5,598
Xbox - 803
PSone - 471
Wonder Swan Crystal - 214

GBASP is TOTALLY destroying the PSP! You know, if you went back in time.

Speevy

Banned
I don't think anyone could correctly analyze or forecast Japan's gaming market. It's just too all over the place, with both hardware and software.

btrboyev

I was going to make a thread about that exact topic. I was wondering, now that we're a couple of months past, how people were using their PSP's and DS's.

Does it sit on the desk as you play your PS2, Xbox, or Gamecube?

Only used when you're on a bus or other place you have to wait, or do you actually play a good amount at home?

Was it worth it to you? or are you biding your time until the software actually hits.

thats just the way handhelds are for me....they basically just sit when the novelty wears off..mainly because they are uncomfortable to play and games are too expensive.

Firest0rm

I think what were seeing is handheld sales that would have originally been SP sales being divided up into the three major handhelds. Basicly, both Sony and Nintendo failed at creating new markets. Instead they divided up the demand that was already there and didnt create new demand. (Just a thought)

Monk

Banned
Sho Nuff said:
GBASP is TOTALLY destroying the PSP! You know, if you went back in time.

Lets see, The GBA SP was released on the 14th february 2k3, so 12 months after the system was released is sold 63k units, 12 weeks after the psp was released it sold 38k.

In conclusion, the psp has a bright future.

Speevy

Banned
Monk said:
Lets see, The GBA SP was released on the 14th february 2k3, so 12 months after the system was released is sold 63k units, 12 weeks after the psp was released it sold 38k.

In conclusion, the psp has a bright future.

I'm sure it does, but your analysis makes no sense.

Jonnyram

Monk said:
Hardly a fair comparison since Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green came out in January 2004.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
sonycowboy said:
Hardware Sales LTD (all Media Create #'s)

Code:
Dates       Nintendo DS  Sony PSP
11/31-12/05     468,883
12/06-12/12     198,892   160,019
12/13-12/19     221,625    85,059
12/20-12/26     396,674   107,217
12/27-01/02     209,522   129,957
01/03-01/09     108,561    62,052
01/10-01/16      53,527    64,602
01/17-01/23      44,608    56,274
01/24-01/30      43,226    74,405
01/31-02/06      29,552    48,781
02/07-02/13      26,205    45,972
02/14-02/20      22,363    38,314
Totals        1,823,638   872,652

You have the wrong PSP number for the week of January 17-23, it sold 66,543 that week (so the LTD is really 882,921). If you check the thread you'll see that CVXFREAK switched the numbers for the PS2 and PSP and I corrected him in the thread.

BTW that's 8 weeks in a row for lower DS sales and 3 weeks in a row for lower PSP sales.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Speeves... you gotta admit, that shit was QUICK."
if current trends continue though, the PSP will be down there with it (not that i expect either trend to continue)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
The whole DS versus PSP thing reminds me of N64 vs PSX. N64 sold way more in the holidays of 96, but shortly after PSX began outselling and N64 never caught up.

Many things are different. Like Nintendo has more support than before, but Sony still has a lot. This time, Sony has an obvious edge in technology and we have the optics versus carts all over again.

Speevy

Banned
teh_pwn said:
The whole DS versus PSP thing reminds me of N64 vs PSX. N64 sold way more in the holidays of 96, but shortly after PSX began outselling and N64 never caught up.

Many things are different. Like Nintendo has more support than before, but Sony still has a lot. This time, Sony has an obvious edge in technology and we have the optics versus carts all over again.

Well, with an identical number of games, the N64 would have stomped the PSOne. (well, one would think so, anyway)

Hollywood

Banned
This year so far:

PlayStation2 432,091
GameCube 55,428

PSP 400,669
Nintendo DS 328,042
GameBoy Advance SP 148,726

So .. anyone comparing the portable market to the console market saying the same thing is happening is dead wrong. They's a helluva lot of difference. Plus SP plus DS > PSP. The SP is obviously taking more sales away from DS than from PSP.

mashoutposse said:
Speeves... you gotta admit, that shit was QUICK.
This is quite true, but I must say I more surprised by PSP's drop point, at least the DS did well over a million before that happened. I think a lot of people are surprised, many were expecting it to continue selling out for weeks (and it really should have), but I guess a lot of factors went through that shrunk launch hype over those weeks, assuming it even had a much larger launch hype in the first place.

newsguy

sonycowboy said:

Does it sit on the desk as you play your PS2, Xbox, or Gamecube?

Only used when you're on a bus or other place you have to wait, or do you actually play a good amount at home?

Was it worth it to you? or are you biding your time until the software actually hits.

I'm waiting for US launch right now. I play Lumines occasionally and I recently encoded Garden State to watch on my downtime. Ridge Racers is a great title, but now that I have to race the "special" cars I've unlocked, I'm a little frustrated. Looking forward to Twisted Metal and a couple of the sports titles. Once I get a 1 gig stick I'm sure I'll be doing lots more encoding.

heidern

Looks like both systems are dying a slow painful death. I've conjured up a graph showing the sales comparison. The DS had a huge start, and had a second peak but has fallen consistently since them. The psp seems to have had 3 peaks, but again it is also going down. Remains to be seen which system if any can com out of the rut. The DS certainly has the edge in terms of short term software line up with a really strong March. But April should be good with Naruto coming out. When is the first of the really big games(JSS, FFIII, Mario Kart) coming out? Also, Gran Turismo seems to have lost a lot of steam. It looks like it is now on par with Winning Eleven and Dynasty Warriors. I think Sony will need to pull something special out of the bag somewhere in regards to software this year.

dspsp.jpg

HyperionX

heidern said:
Looks like both systems are dying a slow painful death. I've conjured up a graph showing the sales comparison. The DS had a huge start, and had a second peak but has fallen consistently since them. The psp seems to have had 3 peaks, but again it is also going down. Remains to be seen which system if any can com out of the rut. The DS certainly has the edge in terms of short term software line up with a really strong March. But April should be good with Naruto coming out. When is the first of the really big games(JSS, FFIII, Mario Kart) coming out? Also, Gran Turismo seems to have lost a lot of steam. It looks like it is now on par with Winning Eleven and Dynasty Warriors. I think Sony will need to pull something special out of the bag somewhere in regards to software this year.

dspsp.jpg

Does the average GAFer have a memory span of only 6 months? All consoles fall into a huge rut in sales from January to the summer and then skyrockets during the holidays. This is very normal.

Speevy

Banned
I wonder what this E3's PR is going to look like.

"We took Sony's name. Look, we're ahead worldwide."
-Reggie

"We've been outselling Nintendo for months in Japan."
-Kutaragi

HyperionX said:
Does the average GAFer have a memory span of only 6 months? All consoles fall into a huge rut in sales from January to the summer and then skyrockets during the holidays. This is very normal.

Expected yes, but do they do this after an anticipated launch as well?

heidern said:

dspsp.jpg
jesus what is up with this place? yeah if that chart were over the space of a year or two it might be a big deal... but its friggin february, nothing comes out worth a damn right now, game sales are always slow, and neither of the two systems have been out for even 4 months yet. people need to give things some time before declaring anything "dying".

Speevy

Banned
Let's be honest here. These handhelds are really just going to occupy us until the real next generation starts.

And really, with PS3 and Xbox 2 graphics, and Nintendo's continued descent into madness, will anyone care about the other war? It's just not as interesting.

Did you guys not expect this? These are sales threads, focused on two systems that have recently launched. The quick or rather shortsighted analyzations will increase tenfold when the nextgen consoles launch. But I agree that neither system is dying, and fully realize this to be a slow sales period, but I still stand in thinking that the current sales of the system, regardless of how slow things get, puts a lot of claims to shame. Mainly the thoughts of PSP selling out for months or being "constrained", things like that.

Regardless though, I doubt very many people think either system is dead or dying. So just calm down.

Actually, it's rather funny that such posts come up in this thread, when there isn't much in regards to silly remarks. I think the comments would be better suited in those last threads, with the silly photoshops and "witty" catchphrases.

Diffense

Actually, it's rather funny that such posts come up in this thread, when there isn't much in regards to silly remarks. I think the comments would be better suited in those last threads, with the silly photoshops and "witty" catchphrases.

There aren't many silly photoshops because psp sales have fallen a bit dampening the sony fanboy celebrations. Quite frankly, I'd been expecting PSP sales to slow eventually.

Odnetnin

Banned
nothing more here but this

JAPAN is currently in an economic recession. I'm sure that has an impact on sales.

cheerio.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Speevy said:
Let's be honest here. These handhelds are really just going to occupy us until the real next generation starts.

And really, with PS3 and Xbox 2 graphics, and Nintendo's continued descent into madness, will anyone care about the other war? It's just not as interesting.
Speevy. Really. Please just learn to speak for yourself. I'm sure some will feel the same way you do, but this "us" you refer to isn't universal.

Izzy

Banned
DarthWufei said:
"Wow, look at that disc fly!" (Sorry, I just had to. :/)

Pretty big difference from 59k though, and I'm sure someone has already said this.

Still, PSP > GBASP + DS + GBA + GC - very impressive.

Izzy

Banned
Jonnyram said:
PSP was 19k ahead last week, but it's only 16k this week. The DS is catching PSP! Sony am crying!

SONY AM CRYING - I'm sure. Not only is PSP outselling all of Ninty's hardware combined, but PS2 is outselling PSP as well. Numbers don't lie.

Izzy said:
Still, PSP > GBASP + DS + GBA + GC - very impressive.
It looks like it, but then you have to remember the system has been in constrained shipments since launch, put the DS through the same ringer and you'd probably still be seeing high numbers from it.

Jonnyram

Izzy said:
SONY AM CRYING - I'm sure. Not only is PSP outselling all of Ninty's hardware combined, but PS2 is outselling PSP as well. Numbers don't lie.
You obviously couldn't detect the sarcasm of me saying something that you'd been saying all those weeks before PSP actually outsold DS. "Oh look, the difference between PSP and DS is getting less, soon PSP will outsell DS." I really feel bad when I read your posts, and your inanely grinning avatar doesn't help matters at all.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
um, unless i'm going mad, isn't the actual situation (since NDS launch)

NDS > PSP + PS2

sonycowboy, i'm throwing a yellow and black sony sign into the sky right now....
the city of GAFfom needs you.

If true, it'll be staggering really.

the NDS is doomed, yet it outsold Sony's new hot toy AND their established console (including a new model) over the last few months, including an xmas sales glut.

Jonnyram

WhiteAce said:

NDS > PSP + PS2
It's not far off:

NDS: 328000 + 1268000 = 1596000
PSP: 401000 + 450000 = 851000
PS2: 432000 + 662000 = 1094000

I cant believe that the PSP is doing so poorly. 800,000 units is not that impressive. I honestly expected a lot more from this company. Like I said before, what the hell is going on?

Izzy

Banned
WhiteAce said:

NDS > PSP + PS2

the NDS is doomed, yet it outsold Sony's new hot toy AND their established console (including a new model) over the last few months, including an xmas sales glut.

No - arbitrary timelines don't help you argument, either.

Top Bottom