• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create (Feb 14-20) PSP IS...

Oh come on Jarrod I am not guaranteeing anything. My opinion (key word is my) is that Nintendo is going to be hurt by the DS and the PSP and so far this year that looks to be the truth in Japan. I also believe this will carry forward. I dont believe at all in this 3rd pillar and what has happened to the GBA from the DS also seems to support this. I believe that Nintendo cant release a new GBA in the next year or 2 and say the DS was it's own separate product line and have the consumers take that as anything more that BS about the DS and feel ripped.

Prine

Banned
KeithFranklin said:
I believe that Nintendo cant release a new GBA in the next year or 2 and say the DS was it's own separate product line and have the consumers take that as anything more that BS about the DS and feel ripped.

Agreed. That would pretty stupid of Nintendo, they risk losing consumer confidence with thier handheld id they keep bringing out newer models every fortnight

cvxfreak

Looking at the NPD numbers, it does look as if GBA and DS can coexist. Sales in Japan may have suffered for GBA, but the DS is picking up the revenue slack in the U.S.

Celicar

Banned
Prine said:
Agreed. That would pretty stupid of Nintendo, they risk losing consumer confidence with thier handheld id they keep bringing out newer models every fortnight

wrong. look at that virtual boy thing. gameboy still kicked ass

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Celicar said:
wrong. look at that virtual boy thing. gameboy still kicked ass

Except you forget,
1) The Virtual Boy wasn't a handheld
2) The Virtual Boy wasn't backwards compatible with the Game Boy

Yeah, PSP isn't doing as well as expected, but it's still doing good (same for DS). The only person that was really owned by these stats is mashoutposse, who had some serious delusions of grandeur regarding the PSP. I seem to recall him saying that it would be bigger than the PS2 was.

jarrod

Banned
Prine said:
Of course, because they've been punished so hard by consumers for using that strategy the past decade....

Game Boy Pocket: June 1996
Game Boy Color: November 1998
Game Boy Advance: June 2001
Game Boy Advance SP: March 2003
Nintendo DS: November 2004
Game Boy Evolution: November 2006? March 2007?

...this is how they built the Game Boy empire, frequent hardware revisions are a key component to that. I bet we'll not only see a new Game Boy within the next 2-3 years but also a revision for DS.

Insertia

CVXFREAK said:
Looking at the NPD numbers, it does look as if GBA and DS can coexist. Sales in Japan may have suffered for GBA, but the DS is picking up the revenue slack in the U.S.

I think that'll change once PSP launches.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
RE4 vs. SH4 said:
Yeah, PSP isn't doing as well as expected, but it's still doing good (same for DS). The only person that was really owned by these stats is mashoutposse, who had some serious delusions of grandeur regarding the PSP. I seem to recall him saying that it would be bigger than the PS2 was.

Get off that crack.

Here's what I said about PSP:

"PSP will have outsold the iPod by late 2006/early 2007. ~10 million units from now till 1/1/06; 10+ million from 1/1/06 till Christmas of that year." 11/25/04

"Again, I would be absolutely shocked if the DS can outsell the PSP on a regular, weekly basis six months from now. Nintendo is going to be in trouble once they start to encroach upon saturation amongst their core fanbase.

Prediction: PSP will be outselling DS by at least a ratio of 1.5:1 by Christmas 2005." 12/21/04

"20 million in 2 years? After playing one for a few days, that is definitely within the realm of possibility." 12/21/04

...unless you can find me a quote where I said something different.

mashoutposse said:
Get off that crack.

Here's what I said about PSP:

"PSP will have outsold the iPod by late 2006/early 2007. ~10 million units from now till 1/1/06; 10+ million from 1/1/06 till Christmas of that year." 11/25/04

...unless you can find me a quote where I said something different.

No need to throw around insults.

You threw some figures around in a thread. I quoted you, and pointed out that to make those figures it will have done better than PS2 when it first released. You said yes, but that PS2 was only available in Japan for a long time so it was a different situation.

Well, PSP is still only available in Japan, but it's not selling at the same rate that PS2 was. Not even close, really.

I'm not going to try to find the quote, but if you deny that little exchange took place it's no skin off my back. I'll loose some respect for you and the world will go on.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jarrod said:
Of course, because they've been punished so hard by consumers for using that strategy the past decade....

...this is how they built the Game Boy empire, frequent hardware revisions are a key component to that. I bet we'll not only see a new Game Boy within the next 2-3 years but also a revision for DS.
I think your analysis is fair, jarrod, up until the introduction of the DS. Basically, as long as they've offered a single migration path through hardware revisions. But if you really think the hardware path is going to branch now, the pattern doesn't hold so there isn't the guarantee that consumer goodwill is as sustainable.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Nah, sorry if that came off as an insult; it definitely all good between us, bro. I even used to tell my mom that sometimes back in the day :lol

Yeah, I recall that discussion. So I take it back anyway ;)

0wn3d

jarrod said:

Well, consumers didn't need a Game Boy Pocket to play the new Game Boy games coming out after it's launch. Those could still be played on the original Game Boy model. Same deal with the Game Boy Advance SP. Really, I see it more as...

Game Boy: 1989
Game Boy Color: 1998
Game Boy Advance: 2001
Next Game Boy: 2006/2007?

The Nintendo DS isn't a Game Boy. Yes, it can play Game Boy Advance titles, but so can my GameCube. Nintendo DS is an alternative gaming system. Stores are not phasing out Game Boy Advance for Nintendo DS like what traditionally happens when a successor is released (like N64 to GCN).

jarrod

Banned
kaching said:
I think your analysis is fair, jarrod, up until the introduction of the DS. Basically, as long as they've offered a single migration path through hardware revisions. But if you really think the hardware path is going to branch now, the pattern doesn't hold so there isn't the guarantee that consumer goodwill is as sustainable.
Well, I'm not sure if the hardware path is going to branch honestly. I see DS as more like a GBC stopgap (extended chipset based on it's predecessor), it'll have 2 or 3 years in the spotlight but the next GB will likely come in and offer something substantially different hardware wise. It may or may not be backwards compatible too, I think it really depends on how DS performs.

Top Bottom