• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create May 11 - 17

kswiston

BishopLamont said:
Why do you think they're buying these same games? Here's a hint: third party games.

According to JJS's numbers Nintendo has released 35 Wii games to a little less than 22 million units of sales. Take way the top 5 and you're left with 30 games selling less than 9 million units between them. You may be able to argue that low third party sales are due to low quality games, but there are plenty of first rate titles in the leftover 30 titles listed above.

Wii Sports and Wii Fit were something new, and they did a good job of getting people to buy a video game system when they never bothered buying one previously. However some of those new people were only interested in Wii Sports or Wii Fit, and will never be interested in things like Mario Galaxy or Monster Hunter 3.

Eteric Rice

Zen said:
For the most part they are.

Sure third party games sell somewhat, but nowhere near at the same rate or volume (relative to install base on the 'volume' bit) as they do on the 360/PS3 do in Japan.

Huh?

Pureauthor said:
*looks at weekly Wii sales*

Oh, I could think of a couple reasons.

What is the 'winning team' here? As of right, now, it's not the Wii - it's stumbling as badly as the PS3 is, and I hope no one here denies that the PS3 is a humongous screwup.

Will 3rd parties suffer? Yes, they will, and probably more than Nintendo. But to claim that Nintendo doesn't (or shouldn't) give a rat's arse seems to me to be wholly incorrect.

Any reason we're not looking at the LTD sales? As it stands, the Wii's slump is propagated by two things:

The very third parties we're complaining about not filling the gaps with games

Nintendo assuming that the very same third parties wouldn't be as incompetent as they are.

Nintendo can survive solely on Nintendo releases for the gen. We're seeing week in and out, that the opposite isn't anywhere near as true.

kswiston said:
According to JJS's numbers Nintendo has released 35 Wii games to a little less than 22 million units of sales. Take way the top 5 and you're left with 30 games selling less than 9 million units between them. You may be able to argue that low third party sales are due to low quality games, but there are plenty of first rate titles in the leftover 30 titles listed above.

Wii Sports and Wii Fit were something new, and they did a good job of getting people to buy a video game system when they never bothered buying one previously. However some of those new people were only interested in Wii Sports or Wii Fit, and will never be interested in things like Mario Galaxy or Monster Hunter 3.

Yes, which is why I expect the new Mario to be built as a bridge game, moving previous customers upstream via new values that can be appreciated by a more broad audience and be exclusive to Wii, meaning no duplicate can be created by the opposition on other home entertainment consoles. I expect motion plus to be taken seriously too. I think it has the potential to move the disruption further and begin stealing the customers away from the competition that Nintendo will be seeking to do in the future.

For now, Nintendo has failed that latter half of last year with Wii Music and Animal Crossing trying to sustain momentum and excite new customers. I don't think courting third parties with money are the answer. They'll come. For now, Nintendo needs to revive momentum. They'll attempt to do this at E3 next week. Wii Sports and Monster Hunter 3 will likely be followed up with strong software short after.

The year will be interesting to watch.

apujanata

charlequin said:
At best, you're not making an argument that Nintendo isn't fucking up in this context, only that market forces are forcing them to fuck up, which, well... :lol

Really, though, this is just obscuring the sheer quantity of held cash Nintendo has -- $9 billion (not even incorporating other cash-like assets like short-term investments), accompanied by a lack of debt. Now, I'm not advocating that their immediate reaction to every stimulus should be to dip into this reserve, but when an opportunity to make an investment with a solid return appears, they should be aiming to take advantage of it rather than passing it up -- and their cash reserves prove that they always have the ability to do so when such an opportunity comes up. Investments in third-party relationships have a proven track record, and if Nintendo had actually tried to make some this generation they might not be looking at their console slip into PS3-like pathetic Japanese sales.

Let's hear in more detail WHAT you think Nintendo should do regarding third party. Which company they should court, which game they should try to get, and whether that is an exclusive version or just multi-platform version.

Personally, I believe that if you couldn't find a better alternatives, it is better to keep your profit as cash, redistribute it as dividend for your shareholder, or execute a share buyback (if the price is too low). 9 Billion might be very big, but it is NOT too big, especially in the drying-loan situation we have in the last 12 months.

As a Wii only owner, I certainly wouldn't mind to see more games on Wii, but I am quite happy with the current line up of Wii games (I don't really care whether the game I like came from Nintendo or SE or Capcom or whatever, I only care that the game is good, and priced correctly). Since I only have limited time to play games (work and family eat lots of time), everything is fine and dandy, especially since I have DS to help me pass time on the road.

money_hat.jpg

These are not the answer for Nintendo. They're not trying to gain market share at the expense of profit like Microsoft is so keen to do.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Any reason we're not looking at the LTD sales? As it stands, the Wii's slump is propagated by two things:

The very third parties we're complaining about not filling the gaps with games

Nintendo assuming that the very same third parties wouldn't be as incompetent as they are.

Nintendo can survive solely on Nintendo releases for the gen. We're seeing week in and out, that the opposite isn't anywhere near as true.

Nintendo could survive solely on Nintendo releases during the 'Cube and N64 generations as well.

We look at weekly sales and not LTD sales precisely because LTD sales paint a different picture from the market situation that is going on right now and for the past few months - people are not buying the Wii en masse anymore.

If Nintendo wants to 'assume' things, then they should have done some things in order to make sure that assumption would be likely to come to past. The point is that the Wii is currently experiencing a large slump in sales, due to there being a dearth of compelling software releases. If Nintendo didn't want this to occur (and, well, I'm pretty sure they didn't), they should have done something to avert this. It's not like 3rd party's reluctance to develop for Nintendo came out of the blue.

test_account

XP-39C²
sphinx said:
for around 10 goddamn years, nintendo struggled to keep their home consoles relevant because thrid parties dissed them. The gamecube was so horribly disregarded by pretty much everyone that I think Nintendo didn't even ask third parties ( at least not with much hope) if they wanted to support the Wii, since they knew the anwser would be a huge middle finger.

Nintendo began with the wii solo and they knew it, 3rd parties didn't take a wait-n-see approach, they didn't want to consider there was a console by nintendo this generation.
Eventhough that the Gamecube didnt have too much 3rd party support (at least compared to the PS2), and eventhough that the Wii is built on Gamecube hardware, the Wii is afterall a brand new console, and the Wii has a control scheme that is pretty unique compared to the comeptitor's gaming systems. Isnt this what matters the most to 3rd party developers if they want to support a console or not? To see if they think there is a potential to make money on a console?

I wont rule out that the preformace of the Gamecube might be one reason why 3rd party developers might have been a bit sceptical to the Wii though, and i would guess that the 3rd party developers thought since the PS1 and the PS2 was so successful, that the PS3 would also be almost equally as successful as the PS1 and the PS2. I would guess that several of 3rd parties were working on some games for the PS3 and/or for the Xbox 360 before the Wii was announced, so it was "too late" to move these games over to the Wii instead.

But i wonder what the 3rd party developers took most into account when it come to the Wii, if they mostly looked at the Gamecube's preformance (and perhaps the Nintendo 64's preformance as well) or if they mostly looked at the Wii as a brand new console :)

Pureauthor said:
We look at weekly sales and not LTD sales precisely because LTD sales paint a different picture from the market situation that is going on right now and for the past few months - people are not buying the Wii en masse anymore.
With the exception of a period earlier this year punctuated by multiple high-profile PS3 games, it's outselling it's competitors. Should Nintendo give away a bunch of moneyhats right now? Maybe they'll have some competent third party titles in 2 years if they do that.

Should Sony give away a bunch of moneyhats to try and gain a little market share on Nintendo?

We know that Microsoft is, and they're not doing well in Japan at all.

Pureauthor said:
Nintendo could survive solely on Nintendo releases during the 'Cube and N64 generations as well.

If Nintendo wants to 'assume' things, then they should have done some things in order to make sure that assumption would be likely to come to past. The point is that the Wii is currently experiencing a large slump in sales, due to there being a dearth of compelling software releases. If Nintendo didn't want this to occur (and, well, I'm pretty sure they didn't), they should have done something to avert this. It's not like 3rd party's reluctance to develop for Nintendo came out of the blue.

I agree that Nintendo should have had a contingency plan based on the performance of third parties with their hardware in previous generations, however I still think it's disingenuous to point at a market that is clearly experiencing a dearth of Nintendo games and point to that as proof that Nintendo needs 3rd parties even near as much as they need Nintendo, or more aptly, a strong market leader.

The Wii was not suffering a year ago, and software releases were even worse then from third parties than it is now. The only difference is that there' no Nintendo presence on the console to drive sales of the platform to the degree that it was being driven previously. Nintendo's early wii success had little to nothing to do with third parties; now when third parties are suffering Nintendo is the last company the finger should be pointed at.

Do moneyhats guarantee quality?

People aren't going to buy games or hardware for games they don't think are fun. Do moneyhat contracts generally negotiate which team will be making the game?

ShockingAlberto said:

People aren't going to buy games or hardware for games they don't think are fun. Do moneyhat contracts generally negotiate which team will be making the game?
I thought that moneyhats generally guaranteed a game that nobody would care about. The only ones that seem to be otherwise are ones that get timed exclusivity or break previous exclusivity. The only games that strike me as to have made sense for Nintendo to pursue in that manner for the Wii are a couple of exclusive PSP games. The Final Fantasy ones and the GTA ones.

Otherwise we're talking about inferior ports and other such B-Team fodder.

ShockingAlberto said:

If you're money sums up real high, I can assign a nice girl to grant you one high quality bath on an outside hot tub. Better we negotiate which girl you want working for you first before we talk about the price.

Dalthien said:
What? Nintendo knew they had little 3rd-party support heading into this gen, but they still set the bar above Gamecube levels. And even if they have no 3rd-party support again next gen, they will still set the bar above Gamecube levels. Who knows whether they will surpass Gamecube levels next gen or not, but they will certainly set the bar higher than that, with or without 3rd-party support.

I was basically saying that if Nintendo doesn't change their ways then they'll be known as "the other" console for many generations to come.

Dalthien said:
3rd-parties haven't hurt Nintendo much at all in the west.

Yet.

Dalthien said:
Until just very recently, Nintendo basically sold everything they could manufacture, and now that they are finally getting some excess supply built up, 3rd-parties are starting to bring some good effort to the Wii. Hell, as donny pointed out in another thread, 3rd-parties sold more software on the Wii than they did on the 360 in the USA in 2008, even with the much weaker lineup on the Wii.

Char answered this better then I could have.

Dalthien said:
Heck, to be honest, even in Japan 3rd-parties are starting to bring some good effort with stuff like Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, and Tales. It is just that those 3rd-party efforts were needed 8-10 months earlier in Japan than they were in the west.

Well Monster Hunter was announced some time ago but I agree with the rest you stated.

Dalthien said:
don't know. I'm sure you would have said the exact same thing before this gen started, but they are market leader now. Who knows what future generations will look like. Yeah - Nintendo may never be market leader again, but they have proven that they are a strong enough publisher to pull it off on their own twice now. They carried the NES to a market leading position at a time when consoles were thought to be a dead and buried fad, and now they've done it a second time with the Wii. (And you can add a few more times if you count portables, as they also carried the GameBoy and DS systems to market leading positions on their own). So I wouldn't put it past them to pull it off again somewhere down the road.

In any case, 3rd-party support worldwide for the Wii is growing stronger month-by-month, and I think it fairly safe to say that even without any moneyhats at all, Nintendo will receive far better 3rd-party support at the start of next gen than they did at the start of the Wii's life.

The Wii is the number one selling console for one and one reason only. Because its targeted to the previously "unseen" biggest consumer market. There really is no other market that isn't already targeted in the gaming market as of now, so the untapped market success can't happen again. If Nintendo loses their place the only way I can see them coming back up again is either when (or if) Virtual Reality hits or when standardization occurs and its all about hardware sales.

All I can say is that if Nintendo doesn't capture markets outside the childrens and casual market some company out there will have a huge opportunity to offer what Nintendo already offers as well as stuff for the other markets to fill in their holes resulting in a huge chunk taken out of Nintendo's market share.

Yes third parties will probably back Nintendo's next console much more then they are currently now, but that's just it "probably". And what if that potential console launches before the Wii 2 and takes its spotlight and achieves a highly diverse market?

Look I'm not saying that Nintendo is DOOMED, I'm just saying that if they don't improve their third party relations then some company somewhere is bound to take on Nintendo with having Nintendo's faults (in terms of game library) not in place. If this happens Nintendo will be in a hell of a pickle.

I mean there third party relations are improving. They first tried with the Gamecube but instead of buying single games they went to try and form bonds with publishers. I mean why not it worked with SONY with the PS1 with companys like Squaresoft and Namco. So Nintendo tried to form bonds with Namco and Capcom. However unlike the PS1 the Gamecube was a long shot from being the market leader. So Capcom ported nearly all of their "GC exclusives" to the PS2, and Namco didn't bring their biggest and best games to the GC. And looking closer the games they offered weren't exactly the best. Tales of Symphonia was a good pick but outside of that Namco really didn't offer anything that could pull people into Nintendo's console. And yeah Resident Evil 4 was ideal, but games like Killer 7 and P.N. 03 were the definition of niche.

So this is why Nintendo is instead making relations to get AAAA titles. GTA on the DS will most likely end up being a great move. Dragon Quest X will get Wii's moving...2 or so years from now. Though it was smart of Nintendo to offer something that no on else could offer Square-Enix, quality marketing that will guarantee that Dragon Quest becomes a hit in the West. And Monster Hunter 3 was an ingenious move and I'm sure stating that they could reusing the PSP engine was something that immediately made Capcom's eyes shift.

However things still need to improve. These are just 3 games within 2 platforms with release dates far away from their console's success strikes. If Nintendo adds in a few more games and gets things done faster then they'd be pretty much fine.

charlequin said:
This is pretty much the argument I'm making, yes. You have to spend money to make money. There's a reason that companies very rarely maintain the kind of cash reserves Nintendo has, and that reason is that it isn't a good way to run your business as profitably as possible. Nintendo have been far too risk-averse.

Agreed.

charlequin said:
In fairness, what's stopping them is (a) a complete inability to make anything but the most pitiful gestures towards such software due to a development culture that doesn't understand it, and (b) the fact that taking a casual core-audience and expanding it to hit a large part of the "core gamer" market is easy, while taking an extreme hardcore core-audience and expanding it to include much of the casual audience is ludicrously difficult.

You have good points, but what's stopping from a new competitor taking on Nintendo (I.E. Apple)?

The unseen market can happen again, Pheonix. It happened during the NES era. It happened during the PSX era. It happened again now because those brand new gamers were moved up market and catered to exclusively by other console manufactures but Nintendo who saw both the elder lapse and the new generation babies being ignored.

It can happen again.

Edit: It looks like you sorta admitted that at the end of that one paragraph. :lol

If Nintendo loses their place, it means it's time to change the game again. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Spirit Icana said:
The unseen market can happen again, Pheonix. It happened during the NES era. It happened during the PSX era. It happened again now because those brand new gamers were moved up market and catered to exclusively by other console manufactures but Nintendo who saw both the elder lapse and the new generation babies being ignored.

It can happen again.

How? What market is left? You have children, young adults, serious gamers, adults, and casual players as of now. I mean what's exactly left? The industry now covers from the most hardcore to the lowest common denominator of casual.

Spirit Icana said:
Edit: It looks like you admitted that at the end of that one paragraph. :lo

How?

Datschge said:
Eh? Given the choice and generalizing everything like you do, about whose state would one be more worried in the current environment: Nintendo or 3rd parties?

Again, contra the general-purpose Nintendo-advocacy position, third parties are not an amorphous group of identical bogeymen; we can look at each of them individually. Am I worried about Capcom? Absolutely not, because even if they cancelled MH3 they'd still be well covered by the other systems.

Nintendo isn't "in trouble" in the rather extreme sense that they'll, like, have to close up shop, but there's lots of room to see declining profitability.

One such in Nintendo's case are the Western releases of the Prof. Layton game, and it looks like Nintendo aims to do the same with Dragon Quest and possibly Monster Hunter 3 in the West.

These are exactly the sorts of decisions that I think are indeed beneficial to Nintendo, but there's still so much room to improve: note their incredibly slow turnaround on Layton 2, their failure to strike a good deal with SE on the DQ remakes (leading to their complete cratering at US retail), etc.

Dalthien said:
A proven track record of increased profitability? I haven't seen any proof whatsoever of this.

Well, first off, you keep trying to loop everything back to the argument "whatever the market leader does is good, whatever second-place does is bad," and that argument doesn't hold water. We have generations of experience to see that individual companies can succeed in certain areas without necessarily pulling together the overall picture; it's the most superficial and unhelpful form of analysis to dismiss the successes of companies in trailing positions, just as much here as it is to ignore how Nintendo's Gamecube strategy let them survive and even profit off of a failed console.

With that out of the way, dismissing the impact of third-party software is, when you're talking about a system with brutal droughts like the Wii, dismissing the impact of software itself, and dismissing the impact of software on hardware sales is ignoring everything that's ever been learned about video game sales. If Nintendo were indeed able to churn out a Wii Fit-level hit every year and support around it with enough software to keep people from selling their consoles, you might have an argument, but it is pretty clear that they cannot.

(which I find to be a laughable statement given that the 360 isn't even the current 3rd-party system leader in North America)

Total volume is not really an ideal method on its own of determining the whole third party software picture. If Wii (hypothetically, since we don't have the information) sold more total software, but the mean title (or the average title excepting certain kinds of outliers, or whatever) sold 200k fewer copies, the picture gets muddier.

But more relevantly, the 360 is operating at a deficit: i.e., their third party strategy is having to make up for their system's sales underperformance that likely stems from its higher price, its less family-friendly library, etc. How much better can a system that actually had market-leading momentum do with a strategy like this? (I mean, the answer should be pretty clear: it'd do a little better than the PS2, both in terms of sales success and in terms of providing a rich and diverse library of titles to its owners.)

Nintendo has a huge advantage over Microsoft in that way more people are interested in the Wii by default, so I don't understand why someone would suggest that squandering that interest is a better business strategy than taking aggressive advantage of it.

apujanata said:
Let's hear in more detail WHAT you think Nintendo should do regarding third party.

Now, or at the beginning of the generation? I've already spelled out my suggested strategy for launch-time. If I were going to pick developers to target, I'd have probably gone with Namco (Nintendo almost certainly could have picked up the equivalent of Tales of Vesperia had they acted quickly here), Capcom, and Square-Enix -- all of whom have had relatively successful recent partnerships with Nintendo and probably contain at least one team who could have been assigned to producing an early Wii exclusive in exchange for budget coverage and co-marketing. (Just off the top of my head here.) And then from there, probably try to suss out good small-developer pickup opportunities, like Level-5.

Now? I think Nintendo should push to have a stronger relationship with Level-5, given the success that Layton and Inazuma-11 have brought. I think they should push the exclusives they do have (ToG, MH3, etc.) very hard, and already be working with each of those publishers to secure future exclusives to go into production now based on the presumed success of the first games. I think they need to actually have someone in the company who works with Western developers. Better placement for third-party games on Nintendo's promotional services (like the Nintendo channel) wouldn't hurt either.

Flying_Phoenix said:
You have good points, but what's stopping from a new competitor taking on Nintendo (I.E. Apple)?

Launching a console requires a huge upfront investment of cash, an immense amount of infrastructure, a great deal of knowledge and industry connections, all on top of the ability to get your product into stores. The barrier to entry has grown increasingly high as time has passed, which in turn has shrank the number of possible contenders in a position to enter the market. Take Apple, for instance: I honestly don't think they have the knowledge of gaming required to create a successful gaming system, which would mean a rather significant ramp-up process to get into a place where they have people on board to manage the project for them.

Flying_Phoenix said:
How? What market is left? You have children, young adults, serious gamers, adults, and casual players as of now. I mean what's exactly left? The industry now covers from the most hardcore to the lowest common denominator of casual.

You're missing my point. The NES had games that catered to all sorts of users, but games got more complicated as time passed. Some kids lapsed and others moved onto more complex stuff as they grew up. The industry grew with them and forgot about the endless more that remain. The population expanded and new kids entered the world.

I'm trying to paint a scenario where it can happen again because it has happened before where it would appear everyone is catered to and then the need to improve and improve what we have happens and people begin to get left behind.

Kid starts with Wii Sports, grows to love Trauma Center, plays IR controlled shooters for his adult life. The industry will love this kid...err, adult now cause he buys his own games on a more regular basis. This is how our industry evolved in the past, NES to PS3. They then cater to these individuals. It can happen again. The industry would be ripe for disruption all over again.

No one's playing virtual reality games right now. If Nintendo pioneered the area with something easy to use and affordable you pretty much admit, under that scenario, the untapped market can be tapped by games once again. We'd all be back to point one in our gaming lives, just like Nintendo is trying to accomplish with Wii for both Blue Ocean customers and eventually for the core who like their toys to be a bit more complex.

Edit: Ha, donny, you go through the trouble of typing all that up and then say "nevermind." :lol

Being labeled can feel awkard and discouraging in these kinds of talks, but don't worry, I know most people here like you and what you bring to the sales room. :)

Flying_Phoenix said:
There's more then 6 billion people in the world, until the day that everyone is a gamer, that untapped market will always be there. Just because there's games for all kinds of people, doesn't mean everyone is interested. Your granny might enjoy Wii Sports, but that doesn't mean every granny does.

kswiston said:

Why is the Wii the only one singled out when it comes to these "one game per console" gamers? I'm sure plenty of people bought the DS for Brain Training only, that doesn't mean they're the majority of the userbase. Hell if they buy the console for those 5 games you mentioned, that's already alot more then the people who buy a console for one big game only for the PS3 or 360 and then sell it.

Dalthien

charlequin said:
Well, first off, you keep trying to loop everything back to the argument "whatever the market leader does is good, whatever second-place does is bad," and that argument doesn't hold water.
I'm sorry. Maybe I missed something, or maybe my memory is faulty, but I would appreciate it if you could remind me where I ever tried to argue that whatever the market leader does is good and whatever the second-place system does is bad. I don't recall ever making that argument.

charlequin said:
Total volume is not really an ideal method on its own of determining the whole third party software picture. If Wii (hypothetically, since we don't have the information) sold more total software, but the mean title (or the average title excepting certain kinds of outliers, or whatever) sold 200k fewer copies, the picture gets muddier.

But more relevantly, the 360 is operating at a deficit: i.e., their third party strategy is having to make up for their system's sales underperformance that likely stems from its higher price, its less family-friendly library, etc. How much better can a system that actually had market-leading momentum do with a strategy like this? (I mean, the answer should be pretty clear: it'd do a little better than the PS2, both in terms of sales success and in terms of providing a rich and diverse library of titles to its owners.)

Nintendo has a huge advantage over Microsoft in that way more people are interested in the Wii by default, so I don't understand why someone would suggest that squandering that interest is a better business strategy than taking aggressive advantage of it.
All true. But not really relevant.

I never suggested that the Wii was the best executed 3rd-party strategy ever. Not even close. But you did claim that the 360 is the best executed 3rd-party strategy EVER. To somehow believe that the 360 can actually not be the leading 3rd-party software system of its own time, and can somehow still be the best 3rd-party strategy of all time is just silly. Sony came into the PS1 with absolutely no prior home console experience. They launched their first system ever, scooped up tons of 3rd-party support from the competition, destroyed the competition in marketshare for the generation, and actually made some nice profit to boot off the system.

But the 360 with an even superior 3rd-party strategy can't even top the lacklustre (at best) 3rd-party sales of it's own competitor? I'm sorry, but it is just a ludicrous statement. Microsoft had every advantage over Sony, including unlimited funds at their disposal for investing in 3rd-party relationships and a prior home console system which allowed them a chance to foster numerous 3rd-party relationships. And yet they still aren't the market leader in any major territory, they still won't even come close to turning a profit on the 360, and even in their best territory, they still can't even sell more 3rd-party software than a competitor with some of the shittiest 3rd-party support ever seen by a market leader.

How again does that qualify Microsoft and the 360 as the best 3rd-party strategy EVER?

Fredescu

Flying_Phoenix said:
India and China. Almost 40% of the worlds population right there.

BishopLamont said:
There's more then 6 billion people in the world, until the day that everyone is a gamer, that untapped market will always be there. Just because there's games for all kinds of people, doesn't mean everyone is interested. Your granny might enjoy Wii Sports, but that doesn't mean every granny does.

Why is the Wii the only one singled out when it comes to these "one game per console" gamers? I'm sure plenty of people bought the DS for Brain Training only, that doesn't mean they're the majority of the userbase.

I wanted to say this too, but I decided to save it for later if he insisted on continuing. :D

It's hard to talk about some underdeveloped countries in this equation, but it remains true that millions of Americans, Europeans, and Japanese men, women, elders, pets and babies haven't transformed into gamers as of this time.

Fredescu said:
India and China. Almost 40% of the worlds population right there.
If Nintendo released a console with the power of the NES and a killer app that appealed to these two countries (and somehow make it piracy proof), hardcore gamers would cry foul, little would they know Nintendo is helping the gaming industry as a whole.

BishopLamont said:
If Nintendo released a console with the power of the NES and a killer app that appealed to these two countries (and somehow make it piracy proof), hardcore gamers would cry foul, little would they know Nintendo is helping the gaming industry as a whole.
Please, this is China and India, not Peru and Bolivia. China at least is familiar with graphics as advanced as WoW, since that game basically owns the country right now. India, who knows, but they basically are the labor force behind high-tech stuff so they aren't getting fooled.

darkhunger said:
Please, this is China and India, not Peru and Bolivia. China at least is familiar with graphics as advanced as WoW, since that game basically owns the country right now. India, who knows, but they basically are the labor force behind high-tech stuff so they aren't getting fooled.
If the console could output WoW graphics, we'd have shortages until the end of time.

darkhunger said:

Hey, if this NES powered console has software that can be controlled by our minds, and the machine and software is sold for single pound, it could take off. :D

They'll still find a way to pirate

BishopLamont said:

But that's not what I'm referring to. I'm referring to markets in general and not people. And most of those people need food and money not gaming consoles.

Spirit Icana said:
You're missing my point. The NES had games that catered to all sorts of users, but games got more complicated as time passed. Some kids lapsed and others moved onto more complex stuff as they grew up. The industry grew with them and forgot about the endless more that remain. The population expanded and new kids entered the world.

I'm trying to paint a scenario where it can happen again because it has happened before where it would appear everyone is catered to and then the need to improve and improve what we have happens and people begin to get left behind.

Kid starts with Wii Sports, grows to love Trauma Center, plays IR controlled shooters for his adult life. The industry will love this kid...err, adult now cause he buys his own games on a more regular basis. This is how our industry evolved in the past, NES to PS3. They then cater to these individuals. It can happen again. The industry would be ripe for disruption all over again.

The NES only cattered to children and only children. I'm not talking about individuals or "types of gamers" but more so broad demographics which in general are: Children, Young Adults, Adults, and the Elderly. There is also Male and Female. Currently all but the last (though that's arguable) are heavily occupied in this industry. Nintendo only broke out due to cattering to adults that aren't tech savvy (basically the general public) which explains their success. In terms of basic and broad demographics there aren't any left in which haven't been occupied in which you can jump on the boat become the market leader.

Spirit Icana said:
No one's playing virtual reality games right now. If Nintendo pioneered the area with something easy to use and affordable you pretty much admit, under that scenario, the untapped market can be tapped by games once again. We'd all be back to point one in our gaming lives, just like Nintendo is trying to accomplish with Wii for both Blue Ocean customers and eventually for the core who like their toys to be a bit more complex.

Then the same thing will happen, someone will most likely enter and offer what Nintendo does and more in terms of library.

...I REALLY don't think we are talking about the exact same things here.

kswiston

BishopLamont said:
Why is the Wii the only one singled out when it comes to these "one game per console" gamers? I'm sure plenty of people bought the DS for Brain Training only, that doesn't mean they're the majority of the userbase. Hell if they buy the console for those 5 games you mentioned, that's already alot more then the people who buy a console for one big game only for the PS3 or 360 and then sell it.

None of the other systems are skewed so heavily towards a handful of games. The top 5 games per system only account for ~20-25% of the total software on the Gamecube, PSP, DS, PS3, and 360. On the PS2, the top 5 accounted for well under 10% of the total. On the Wii it is 47%.

Sure buying a Wii and the three big "Wii ___" titles is better for Nintendo than the gamer who buys a PS3/360 for only one exclusive is for Sony/360, but how does it benefit the Wii's long term sales/growth if people are mainly interested in a half dozen or so titles and ignore everything else?

Flying_Phoenix said:
But that's not what I'm referring to. I'm referring to markets in general and not people. And most of those people need food and money not gaming consoles.

I think this is where our differences are most strongly rooted. "Markets" and demographics are good for stats and study. When doing buisness, you cater to people, of all diversities, as best you can with proposals that can serve they're needs. We'll probably get into a very lengthy debate on this. I'll give you the last word on this part.

I will say that "markets" are too often spoken by analysts and serve merely to miss the point of where the success is really coming from. Wii Sports is not popular because it is a "casual" game in the market place. Nor is popular for being advertised as one. It's popular for the job it has served for new Wii owners who have purchased their brand new console with the intent of playing sports in a manner they best idenity playing them.

So, since I took your "markets" and unintentionally altered your point, though a point I think is very limited under the "markets" roof, I apologize. But hey, wouldn't it be nice if pets can play games. :D

The NES only cattered to children and only children. I'm not talking about individuals or "types of gamers" but more so broad demographics which in general are: Children, Young Adults, Adults, and the Elderly. There is also Male and Female. Currently all but the last (though that's arguable) are heavily occupied in this industry. Nintendo only broke out due to cattering to adults that aren't tech savvy (basically the general public) which explains their success. In terms of basic and broad demographics there aren't any left in which haven't been occupied in which you can jump on the boat become the market leader.

The NES included children into the gaming scene. The system was made for everyone, just like the Wii. You're looking at Nintendo's marketing and you're creating limited demographics with the term "markets." I much prefer Malstrom's "job" term. I won't deny Nintendo marketed to childeren, but I'll argue they served a crowd much older as well.

Then the same thing will happen, someone will most likely enter and offer what Nintendo does and more in terms of library.

And then the time to change the game again will arise.

...I REALLY don't think we are talking about the exact same things here.

I think we are looking at it from two very different perspectives. Your perspective looks very much in line with that of an analyst.

gantz85

Banned
darkhunger said:

I don't know if any of you are familiar with China, but the PS3 isn't carried officially here by Sony China. They simply don't sell PS3s here in their official stores, nor can you repair them in Sony China. All Playstation 3s here (and 360s, and Wiis) are from their Hong Kong/Asian counterparts and then shipped over here. It's not exactly illegal but it's not exactly legal either. Hong Kong is part of China but it's an SAR so the politics and trading rules are different.

I've heard mumblings over the years that the reason why Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo can't bring over the gaming console platform are political and concerns some trading rules and whatever, but another big barrier is the price. You guys have no idea about the average salary of a working class in Beijing (3000RMB = 400US$ per month). Selling games at $60US or even the Asian-priced $50US a month is not going to work, AT ALL. And if they sell China-specific low-priced SKUs here it'll invariably leak out to other markets.

It's just a case where the economies and numbers don't make sense. I DO think that they can and should consider putting out a China-specific strategy, like producing PS3 consoles that focus on downloadable games and free-to-play microtransaction games but I imagine there are plenty of hurdles plus Sony Asia aren't using much of their brains.

kswiston said:
None of the other systems are skewed so heavily towards a handful of games. The top 5 games per system only account for ~20-25% of the total software on the Gamecube, PSP, DS, PS3, and 360. On the PS2, the top 5 accounted for well under 10% of the total. On the Wii it is 47%.

Sure buying a Wii and the three big "Wii ___" titles is better for Nintendo than the gamer who buys a PS3/360 for only one exclusive is for Sony/360, but how does it benefit the Wii's long term sales/growth if people are mainly interested in a half dozen or so titles and ignore everything else?
Ask third parties why, and they'll give you the answer. Seriously, did you even read this thread?

Dalthien

kswiston said:

Because it doesn't work that the way. The sales advantage works its way right down the line. Even as top-heavy as Wii software is, that doesn't mean that only those top 5 titles sell. For example, the number of titles above these benchmarks in Japan,

> 3,000,000

Wii - 2
PS3 - 0
360 - 0

> 2,000,000

Wii - 4
PS3 - 0
360 - 0

> 1,000,000

Wii - 7
PS3 - 0
360 - 0

> 500,000
Wii - 13
PS3 - 1
360 - 0

> 300,000
Wii - 17
PS3 - 10
360 - 0

> 100,000

Wii - 39
PS3 - 28
360 - 10

> 50,000
Wii - 63
PS3 - 48
360 - 31

donny2112

kswiston said:

Okay, let's ignore those nasty million-selling titles (you know, the kind of games people buy a system for) for the Wii that mess up the averages so much.

# titles between 100K and 999K

WII - 32
PS3 - 28
360 - 10

Should we look at third-parties next? Maybe ignore well known franchises on the Wii to make it fair? Too bad music games don't sell well on Wii in Japan or else we could exclude those, too.

Edit:
Oops. I forgot about Taiko. We should exclude the eventual top-selling third-party console game in Japan, too, to make it fair.

NDS through April 2007 (from my database)

Total sales - 60.7 million
Top 5 sales - 21.0 million (34.6%)
# games > 100K - 89

Wii through April 2009 (from my database)

Total sales - 28.1 million
Top 5 sales - 13.5 million (48.0%)
# games > 100K - 39

Wii simply does not have the raw number of worthwhile games in Japan to offset its Top 5 games' sales performance. Call me crazy, but I think that might be part of the reason for the Top 5 disparity. Reasons for why there aren't so many worthwhile games? *looks at the thread* I guess it'll just have to remain a mystery.

Linkup

I just want to say that I can't see the wii coming back from this downturn. Wii Sport Resort really isn't going to be able to pull in any new gamers as the casuals won't see the point of it. Monster Hunter 3 isn't going to be as big as the psp games and is going to look like nothing more than a blip on the map when it's done selling. The few other big third party titles won't have any ads so no one will know they are out anyway. Then you have the large number of gamers grabbing a psp and playing a wide variety of software so third parties are really starting to ramp up development for the system. Lots of third party games with ads etc ended up flopping completely on wii and if I was a third party I wouldn't even bother unless nintendo started to share some of the wealth. Nintendo should be throw money are third parties as fast as they can so that they won't continue to populate the wii library with crap that couldn't sell even if it had a huge marketing campaign. Soon you are going to have the wii lose it's price advantage and motion sensing controller. When gamers see this stuff on the other systems the one left won't bother waiting for third parties the out put any decent software and they won't have any faith in them to do so also. In combustion, the pressure builds up and explodes with a drizzle of sparks coming down, the sparks on the wii are down and dying out.

Spirit Icana said:
I think this is where our differences are most strongly rooted. "Markets" and demographics are good for stats and study. When doing buisness, you cater to people, of all diversities, as best you can with proposals that can serve they're needs. We'll probably get into a very lengthy debate on this. I'll give you the last word on this part.

I will say that "markets" are too often spoken by analysts and serve merely to miss the point of where the success is really coming from. Wii Sports is not popular because it is a "casual" game in the market place. Nor is popular for being advertised as one. It's popular for the job it has served for new Wii owners who have purchased their brand new console with the intent of playing sports in a manner they best idenity playing them.

So, since I took you're "markets" and unintentionally altered you're point, though a point I think is very limited under the "markets" roof, I apologize. But hey, wouldn't it be nice if pets can play games. :D

I guess this does make this argument non-sensical for the both of us due to our ways of thinking of these terms being so different.

Spirit Icana said:
The NES included children into the gaming scene. The system was made for everyone, just like the Wii. You're looking at Nintendo's marketing and you're creating limited demographics with the term "markets." I much prefer Malstrom's "job" term. I won't deny Nintendo marketed to childeren, but I'll argue they served a crowd much older as well.

I wouldn't doubt that there was a share of teenagers and possibly even adults on the NES. Though it's widely known that it was targeted and mostly sold through children. Just look at the advertisements and the games for evidence.

Spirit Icana said:
And then the time to change the game again will arise.

Fly to Heaven only to Crash and Burn (repeat process)

Sorry but that's how I see this.

Look I'm not saying that Nintendo will die and its all doom and gloom. Developers and publishers very well might jump on the Wii's successor immediately leaving Nintendo covering all of the demographics and markets, nearly all but guaranteeing security for first place and they'll be able to ride this wave until standardization inevitably happens (I predict 7 - 12 years). But the fact is that there is still a chance that all developers may not flee to it like they would predict and instead go to a rival platform(s) instead. I mean Nintendo's strategy was practically waiting for third party's to come after the floodgates with the Wii and it's failed or if it totally hasn't it's coming far later then it should be.

My point is that why should Nintendo leave that huge opportunity door open when they as of now could very well close and lock it.

Nintendo currently has a HUGE opportunity. They're on top of their game, their main success are things that their competitors can't replicate, they've already conquered the most hard to move market, and their platform has more new fans to the Nintendo brand then ever. Why not make a change and keep the momentum nearly guarantee to keep going instead of leaving a huge chance for it to be servery damaged or even destroyed? That's all I'm saying.

I agree that Nintendo shouldn't be like SONY or Microsoft in which they throw money around like a madman in a strip club. But they shouldn't be so conservative with their money either. All me and Char are saying is that Nintendo should build relations with a few third parties in order to expand their current market and further secure themselves as the market leader.

donny2112 said:
Reasons for why there aren't so many worthwhile games? *looks at the thread* I guess it'll just have to remain a mystery.

I vote "early investments" as the best answer. :)

I wouldn't doubt that there was a share of teenagers and possibly even adults on the NES. Though it's widely known that it was targeted and mostly sold through children. Just look at the advertisements and the games for evidence.

I know the evidence you speak of and I know what perspective you're leaning on. No need to go further.

Fly to Heaven only to Crash and Burn (repeat process)

I agree with you. But somehow, I know we are looking at this differently. Nintendo will have to destroy there own Wii eventually and form something completely new.

As for the rest of your post, I agree, they have a huge opportunity. I'll be watching to see if they capitilize on it this year. Iwata is a smart man. I think Nintendo can pull the disruption off. Third parties will have no choice but to adapt. This will be a great industry to keep an eye on right now for those into business.

I'm not concerned about "next gen" right now. I think this Wii generation may prove longer than many expect.

donny2112

Spirit Icana said:
I vote "early investments" as the best answer. :)

For to-date performance, definitely. When a game takes three years to greenlight and develop and a company spends the first year of that with a single platform to worry about and the second year of that thinking that the new market leader is a fad that will fade soon, it doesn't leave a lot of time to shift gears. Maybe things will be turned around in a couple of years if this generation lasts seven years or more.

donny2112 said:
For to-date performance, definitely. When a game takes three years to greenlight and develop and a company spends the first year of that with a single platform to worry about and the second year of that thinking that the new market leader is a fad that will fade soon, it doesn't leave a lot of time to shift gears. Maybe things will be turned around in a couple of years if this generation lasts seven years or more.

Third parties will need at least seven years to finish they're PS4 projects.

Kidding aside, I think this gen will be a long haul. :)

Dalthien

Flying_Phoenix said:
I agree that Nintendo shouldn't be like SONY or Microsoft in which they throw money around like a madman in a strip club. But they shouldn't be so conservative with their money either. All me and Char are saying is that Nintendo should build relations with a few third parties in order to expand their current market and further secure themselves as the market leader.
Of course they should build relations with third parties. No one is saying otherwise. And in fact, I think it is a pretty safe bet that Nintendo does spend time building relationships with 3rd-parties.

But the attacks on the weak 3rd-party support at the beginning of this generation are kind of missing the forest for the trees. Nintendo had a plethora of big problems to overcome as they entered this generation if they wanted the Wii to be a far bigger success than the Gamecube.

Nintendo prioritized their focus in terms of what they needed to fix compared to last gen. 3rd-party relations were placed at a lower level of importance than other needs. And at least up to this point, that was the correct decision. Nintendo has achieved an absolutely phenomenal turnaround based on the strategy which they pursued. If they had placed less importance on some of their other needs, it is highly likely that the Wii would be in far worse shape right now than it currently is.

If they hadn't have gotten the price right, or if they didn't get the controls right, or if they didn't have the right software to launch with through the first year-and- a-half, or if they didn't have the right marketing, etc. If any of these other humungous issues were not dealt with properly, the Wii could be in a far different state right now. Let's say we replace the focus on the controller with a stronger focus on 3rd-parties. Yeah - probably not so good for the Wii. Repeat that process with a number of other areas of focus and you end up with the same result.

My point is that Nintendo created their strategy based on an overall plan wherein they focused heavily on what they could control to kick things off, and then count on the 3rd-parties to step in at a later point once the hard work of building the userbase was done. That part of the strategy didn't work out so well, but it was a part of the whole. (And as I mentioned in an earlier post, Nintendo never had any chance of getting any of the top-tier 3rd party titles at the start of this gen anyway). And the results of the whole strategy are pretty clear. The Wii has blown away every conceivable idea of what it could possibly accomplish.

To sit back and spend tons of time criticizing them at this point for the lack of 3rd-party relations is kind of like criticizing Wayne Gretzky in his prime for not spending more time in the juniors working on his physical game. If he had developed a better forecheck and a knack for hanging out in the crease, he could have scored even more goals and been an even greater help to his team. Kind of silly, isn't it? He spent his time developing the skills which carried him to his status as the best in the game. Likewise, Nintendo spent their time focused on the issues which they believed were the most important to making the Wii a bigger success than the Gamecube. And it worked. Now they can spend some more time working on 3rd-party relations, and I believe that they are doing just that. The 3rd-party relations is a valid critique, but it really misses the big picture.

Dalthien said:
Of course they should build relations with third parties. No one is saying otherwise. And in fact, I think it is a pretty safe bet that Nintendo does spend time building relationships with 3rd-parties.

But the attacks on the weak 3rd-party support at the beginning of this generation are kind of missing the forest for the trees. Nintendo had a plethora of big problems to overcome as they entered this generation if they wanted the Wii to be a far bigger success than the Gamecube.

Nintendo prioritized their focus in terms of what they needed to fix compared to last gen. 3rd-party relations were placed at a lower level of importance than other needs. And at least up to this point, that was the correct decision. Nintendo has achieved an absolutely phenomenal turnaround based on the strategy which they pursued. If they had placed less importance on some of their other needs, it is highly likely that the Wii would be in far worse shape right now than it currently is.

If they hadn't have gotten the price right, or if they didn't get the controls right, or if they didn't have the right software to launch with through the first year-and- a-half, or if they didn't have the right marketing, etc. If any of these other humungous issues were not dealt with properly, the Wii could be in a far different state right now. Let's say we replace the focus on the controller with a stronger focus on 3rd-parties. Yeah - probably not so good for the Wii. Repeat that process with a number of other areas of focus and you end up with the same result.

My point is that Nintendo created their strategy based on an overall plan wherein they focused heavily on what they could control to kick things off, and then count on the 3rd-parties to step in at a later point once the hard work of building the userbase was done. That part of the strategy didn't work out so well, but it was a part of the whole. (And as I mentioned in an earlier post, Nintendo never had any chance of getting any of the top-tier 3rd party titles at the start pf this gen anyway). And the results of the whole strategy are pretty clear. The Wii has blown away every conceivable idea of what it could possible accomplish.

To sit back and spend tons of time criticizing them at this point for the lack of 3rd-party relations is kind of like criticizing Wayne Gretzky in his prime for not spending more time in the juniors working on his physical game. If he had developed a better forecheck and a knack for hanging out in the crease, he could have scored even more goals and been an even greater help to his team. Kind of silly now, isn't it? He spent his time developing the skills which carried him to his status as the best in the game. Likewise, Nintendo spent their time focused on the issues which they believed were the most important to making the Wii a bigger success than the Gamecube. And it worked. Now they can spend some more time working on 3rd-party relations, and I believe that they are doing just that. The 3rd-party relations is a valid critique, but it really misses the whole picture.

You understand the major advantage of being an integrated software-hardware company. It's apparent in this post of yours. Wii, arguably, wouldn't be where it is today if Nintendo wasn't this kind of company. I agree with you, Datschge, and donny on the third party positions as well, completely.

If you noticed, this discussion is down to repeating the same things over and over again. :lol I see where Nintendo's critics are coming from. Our positions are stated. Let's see where things go from here.

Famitsu Software Stuff

Monster Hunter G Wii (3504) continues doing a little better each week than its 2005 PS2 counterpart (2077) did.

Taiko no Tatsujin Wii has always done well, but (thanks to Golden Week and/or the slight increase in Wii hardware sales?) after five weeks of increase it's just had its biggest week since January.

After 3 weeks of sales Disaster Report 3 (3506) is in much the same place after the first. That is, doing slightly better than the second (2419), but not as well as the first (935).

Deca Sporta 2 isn't exactly doing as well as the original... but it also seems to refuse to have much drop from week to week.

Still, after these four weeks of steady sales, it's only to about half of the first game's first week.

Rolf NB

donny2112 said:
Wii simply does not have the raw number of worthwhile games in Japan to offset its Top 5 games' sales performance. Call me crazy, but I think that might be part of the reason for the Top 5 disparity. Reasons for why there aren't so many worthwhile games? *looks at the thread* I guess it'll just have to remain a mystery.
9qd7h1.jpg

Cuts both ways.

donny2112

bcn-ron said:
http://i39.tinypic.com/9qd7h1.jpg[IMG]

Cuts both ways.[/QUOTE]

I see buttons.

[spoiler]If the PS2 had launched with a Wiimote motion controller, third-parties still would've fallen over themselves to make games for the system. Maybe not as heavily as they did, but thousands of leagues better than they've been doing for the Wii.[/spoiler]

[QUOTE=Quixzlizx]It's a piece of electronics equipment, not a rape victim.[/QUOTE]

In case you didn't know, that phrase does have uses outside of the "rape victim" context. No disrespect was meant for rape victims from the use of the phrase. I meant the phrase exactly as I said it, without any rape context.

Spiegel

donny2112 said:
I see buttons.

If the PS2 had launched with a Wiimote motion controller, third-parties still would've fallen over themselves to make games for the system. Maybe not as heavily as they did, but thousands of leagues better than they've been doing for the Wii.

That's because Wii is not PS2.

Wii is "PSX" and the one fundamental difference here is that Sony went after third party support.

Also, wow at your Wii = victim comment. WOW

Top Bottom