• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 09/01 - 09/07

Hive said:
Sp0rsk, i don't have numbers to show otherwise, but are you sure Ral(Omega)Grad flopped?

It was canceled pretty quickly in Japan. Although it made it past the first cut that a lot of Weekly Shounen Jump series fall to, it only ran for 4 volumes. That's considered a 'flop' in Jump.

duckroll

KuwabaraTheMan said:
It was canceled pretty quickly in Japan. Although it made it past the first cut that a lot of Weekly Shounen Jump series fall to, it only ran for 4 volumes. That's considered a 'flop' in Jump.

Obata really wasn't putting any effort into it anyway, so it was probably a good thing it got put down. It was pretty much shameless fanservice with some cool monster designs along the way. Pretty lame.

phez

Banned
duckroll said:
How is the anime a flop when it ran for 52 episodes and then got a SECOND SEASON that's running now? :p

What about the Konami Blue Dragon Trading Card game? They're pumping expansions out regularly too. Doesn't seem like a bomb to me. It's not exactly a huge franchise that's super-popular, but there's definitely a fanbase, it's too bad that the DS game totally didn't even try to tap into that by being a game that no one would want to buy. :p

terrible marketing strikes again?

jimbo

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Let's see what sells better, Sengoku Basara for PSP or Blue Dragon for DS!

Dude, that was a stupid thing to say, just admitt it. You got proven wrong by too many people on too many fronts. So let's just drop it, and and move on. When BD2 comes out, if that sells less than the first one, then, you can bring back this argument.

jimbo

Banned
Doc Evils said:

You do realize that in a twisted kind of way, those numbers represent the best thing that happened to the 360 since........well, ever in Japan?

Pureauthor said:
I think Mistwalker's fundamental problem is that they are trying to be a SE clone, and SE is really the only company in the Japanese market that has ever succeeded in high-budget, graphics-pushing RPGs.

I don't think Mistwalker has a problem. SquareEnix is a merger between 2 decades old companies. Mistwalker is brand new, and their largest games debuted on a console whose popularity stinks in Japan, yet here they are being brought up and compared to one of the largest companies in Japan. And so are their games.

How many other brand new companies wouldn't LOVE to be in their position, right now. They went from 0 to fame practically over night. None of their big games have gotten a sequel, and they still have one of their very first original projects to complete, Cry On. They aren't even a complete, self-sufficient developer yet. They still rely on outsourcing because they are so small. Mistwalker is doing an amazing job so far.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
jimbo said:
Dude, that was a stupid thing to say, just admitt it. You got proven wrong by too many people on too many fronts. So let's just drop it, and and move on. When BD2 comes out, if that sells less than the first one, then, you can bring back this argument.

Welcome to like 8 hours ago?

Paracelsus

jimbo said:
They went from 0 to fame practically over night.

2hrl3pj.jpg

Jimbo, calm down.

The faster you run, the easier will be for someone to trip you up.

jimbo

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Yeah. That's the face of a near-complete sellout countrywide.

Now that they're back in stock they can go back to their stunning 4k/week.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. 5 months ago their average was 2k a week. The 360 has very slowly been rising its average sales. I think this bump will be no different because it was trending up to begin with. I expect it to settle higher thank 4k when it's all said and done.

And it all started with Gundam.

Welcome to like 8 hours ago?

I was sleeping 8 hours ago :D

ivysaur12 said:
What are the Famitsu numbers for FF4 and Wario?

And I could see BD+ having some good legs.
I couldn't. I could see BD+ overfilling the price collapse bin at Sofmap Akiba within a month, however. It can nestle in next to all the unsold copies of ASH for 500 yen.

jimbo

Banned
Paracelsus said:
2hrl3pj.jpg

Jimbo, calm down.

The faster you run, the easier will be for someone to trip you up.

Fame may have been a strong word. But you get what I am saying. They are still more exciting and popular than a lot of other developers that have been in business a lot longer.

Tron 2.0

ivysaur12 said:
What are the Famitsu numbers for FF4 and Wario?

And I could see BD+ having some good legs.

Famitsu has Wario at 92,000 and FF4 at 63,000. So Wario will at least hit 100k. Right now FF4 is just under FF2 and about 6k away from passing FF3 so it stands to become the best selling Fatal Frame title in two to three weeks.

After the awful first day sales for BD+, its first week numbers are better than I thought they would be. It may benefit from overall sales being slow this time of year and if word of mouth isn't overwhelming toxic it might slow burn for a few weeks. But when you sell less than half of what ASH mustered in its first week (49,678), it doesn't bode well. I'm guessing it tops out around 50k.

ivysaur12

Banned
Tron 2.0 said:
Famitsu has Wario at 92,000 and FF4 at 63,000. So Wario will at least hit 100k. Right now FF4 is just under FF2 and about 6k away from passing FF3 so it stands to become the best selling Fatal Frame title in two to three weeks.

After the awful first day sales for BD+, its first week numbers are better than I thought they would be. It may benefit from overall sales being slow this time of year and if word of mouth isn't overwhelming toxic it might slow burn for a few weeks. But when you sell less than half of what ASH mustered in its first week (49,678), it doesn't bode well. I'm guessing it tops out around 50k.

Well, that's not so bad. Nintendo's strategy of not announcing a game until a month before its release seems to work a lot better for DS games than its Wii ones, save Fatal Frame (I guess?).

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
WiiFit is selling about 150K/month in Japan.
And about 1 million units/month at a WW level, if not more.

It's crazy.

There are commercials for Infinite Undiscovery and the Xbox 360 price-cut on TV pretty regularly here, so I'm dying to see how this week's numbers turn out, particularly following last week's abysmal showing.

Tron 2.0

ivysaur12 said:
Well, that's not so bad. Nintendo's strategy of not announcing a game until a month before its release seems to work a lot better for DS games than its Wii ones, save Fatal Frame (I guess?).
It's hard to say because we don't have anything to compare them against.

I'm not convinced that Wario would have sold significantly better if it was announced back in January.

Mmm, had a look at lineups, and it surprised me how SCEJ only has 3 PS3 titles coming, with or without release date. Nothing else.
- 9/25 Aquanaut's Holiday: Kakusareta Kiroku
- 13/11 Derby Time Online
- White Knight Story

Two of them being deals with 3rd parties, the other quite unknown and likely to be missing in action until a week to release.

But it surprises me more that they don't have any hardware plans for the 80GB SKU, or different ones (160GB), or just updating those 40GB with Dual Shock 3.

And then I saw that they are releasing Little Big Planet and Grand Theft Auto 4 on the same day. I can see the sad kittens already without any sales numbers.

Superb planning altogether. I must have missed Sony Japan PR abandoning PS3. Maybe thats their huge TGS announcement this year.

apujanata

marc^o^ said:
WiiFit is selling about 150K/month in Japan.
And about 1 million units/month at a WW level, if not more.

It's crazy.
It's even crazier if you take into account the user base size in Japan.

donny2112

Famitsu Aug 25-31

1. NDS Rhythm Tengoku Gold 68350 / 625438
2. PS3 Afrika 35296 / NEW
3. PS2 J-League Winning Eleven 2008 Club Championship 32500 / 113230
4. PSP Fate/Tiger Colosseum Upper 32067 / NEW
5. PSP Phantasy Star Portable 26689 / 571931
6. WII Wii Fit 26086 / 2515378
7. NDS Inazuma Eleven 25021 / 66479
8. PS3 Battlefield: Bad Company 22003 / NEW
9. NDS Fire Emblem: New Shadow Dragons and the Blade of Light 18960 / 203625
10. NDS Dragon Quest V 17441 / 1119508
11. WII Mario Kart Wii 15040 / 1693191
12. NDS Daigasso! Band Brothers DX 14736 / 300957
13. NDS Taiko Drum Master 2: The Seven Island Adventure 11871 / 318889
14. NDS Sigma Harmonics 9322 / 33941
15. WII Wii Sports 9192 / 3113912
16. NDS Evangelion: Ayanami Ikusei Keikaku - Asuka Hokan Keikaku 8998 / NEW
17. 360 Too Human 8840 / NEW
18. NDS To Love Ru Trouble: Waku Waku! Rinkangakkou-Hen (Exciting! Forest School) 8639 / NEW
19. PS2 Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 15 8312 / 190772
20. 360 Clannad 8152 / NEW
21. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 G 8079 / 2404721
22. NDS Mario Kart DS 6994 / 3189180
23. WII Captain Rainbow 6361 / NEW
24. NDS Harukanaru Toki no Naka de: Yumenoukihashi (Floating Bridges of Dreams) 6094 / 35250
25. NDS Bokura wa Kaseki Holder (We are Fossil Diggers) 5918 / 202967
26. WII Wii Play 5776 / 2466663
27. PS2 Katekyoo Hitman Reborn Nerae!? Ring x Bongole Returns 5670 / NEW
28. WII Wario Land: Shake It! 5364 / 88117
29. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 5222 / 4722870
30. 360 Tales of Vesperia 5008 / 133212

*. NDS San-X Character Channel: All-Star Daishuugou! 4600 / NEW
*. NDS Hanshin Tigers DS 3900 / NEW
*. NDS Norimono Oukoku DS: You! Unten Shichai na Yo! (Vehicle Kingdom DS: You are Driving!) 3200 / NEW
*. PSP Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida (BEST) 3200 / NEW
*. WII Simple 2000 Series Wii Vol. 2: The Party Game 2200 / NEW
*. NDS Tactical Guild 2100 / NEW
*. PS2 Yotsunoha: A Journey of Sincerity 1900 / NEW
*. PS2 Majin Tantei Nougame Neuro: Battle de Yo! (Detective Neuro: Criminal Set!) 1700 / NEW
*. NDS Simple DS Series Vol. 40: The Gekai (Surgeon) 1000 / NEW
*. NDS Johnny no Dasshutsu Daisakusen (Escape Johnny) 950 / NEW
*. NDS Umibe de Reach! DS (Beach de Reach!) 690 / NEW
*. PS2 Piyo-Tan: Oyashiki Sennyuu Daisakusen! 690 / NEW

Bar Chart Aug 25-31 (thanks to JoshuaJSlone/garaph.info)

2008-08-25

Note: Image may be delayed from the time of this post, but will automatically show once the data is ready.

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

Jul 28-Aug 3, 2008
Aug 4-17, 2008
Aug 18-24, 2008

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
JoshuaJSlone said:
At least by Famitsu's view, I haven't seen either hit 40K yet.
Funny thing that numbers you got for Lair, it's outselling both of them. I expected that for HS, but I thought Ratchet would have done better.

I am surprised at Afrika. It seemed like something that would mostly be ignored. An Eternal Ocean on land.
I didn't care about it until watching some gameplay videos, now I sort of want it. Would be nice if it gets localized after all :p

donny2112

31. [NDS] Bokura wa Kaseki Holder (We are Fossil Diggers) (Nintendo)
32. [PSP] Gundam Battle Universe (Namco Bandai)
33. [360] Tales of Vesperia (Namco Bandai)
34. [NDS] Shinseiki Evangelion Ayanami Ikusei Keikaku DS with Asuka Hokan Keikaku (Broccoli)
35. [NDS] Mame Goma 2: Uchi no Ko ga Ichiban! (My Kid is Number One!) (TDK Core)
36. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo)
37. [WII] Super Mario Stadium: Family Baseball (Nintendo)
38. [NDS] Puyo Puyo! (BEST) (SEGA)
39. [NDS] Densetsu no Stafi: Taiketsu! Dire Kaizokudan (Nintendo)
40. [NDS] Brain Training 2 (Nintendo)
41. [PSP] Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida (BEST) (SCEI)
42. [PS3] Soul Calibur IV (Namco Bandai)
43. [NDS] Kanji Brain 2 + Dictionary (IE Institute)
44. [NDS] Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS Flame Rumble Hyper - Moeyo Mirai (Takara Tomy)
45. [NDS] Mario Party DS (Nintendo)
46. [NDS] Pokemon Diamond (Pokemon Co.)
47. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriot (Konami)
48. [NDS] San-X Character Channel: All-Star Daishuugou! (MTO)
49. [NDS] Tottadoo! Yoiko's Deserted Island Life (Namco Bandai)
50. [WII] Captain Rainbow (Nintendo)

NDS - 26
WII - 9
PSP - 6
PS3 - 4
PS2 - 3
360 - 2

DS Lite 51,412
PSP 34,462
Wii 33,128
PS3 8,317
PS2 7,948
Xbox 360 1,044

Spiegel

Is the announcement of the PSP-3000 hurting the PSP sales or it's more the lack of new games being released? Maybe both?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Spiegel said:
Is the announcement of the PSP-3000 hurting the PSP sales or it's more the lack of new games being released? Maybe both?

I don't think too many people know about the PSP-3000

jimbo

Banned
donny2112 said:
33. [360] Tales of Vesperia (Namco Bandai)

DS Lite 51,412
PSP 34,462
Wii 33,128
PS3 8,317
PS2 7,948
Xbox 360 1,044

ToV may just creep back up in the top 30 next week.

And I guess the DS has officially re-claimed its crown and is keeping it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm not good with Josh's site so its hard for me to tell for sure, but it appears that Wii is holding up a bit better this year during the slow period.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
schuelma said:
I'm not good with Josh's site so its hard for me to tell for sure, but it appears that Wii is holding up a bit better this year during the slow period.

I'll have your answer shortly.

donny2112

schuelma said:

From last week:

donny2112 said:
For those decrying the Wii's performance this year compared to last, I find it very likely that the Wii will not drop as severely in September as last year. Last year, the Wii had a precipitous drop from Obon on. This year, it's much more consistent week on week.

July and August were almost exactly the same this year, whereas last year, Wii had a big drop that continued on into September.

Top Bottom